Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Group selffound is coming but it's going to be in the context of the custom league framework they've been teasing for years and will almost certainly require payment due to server resources involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Awesome! posted:

its just a normal diablo 2 style inventory. you can win races to 100 with the 4 free tabs they give you. i like it way more than grim dawn's inventory which has like 4 tiny inventories you have to manage separately and i believe less stash space than you start poe with by default.

also if they designed the ui to be bad so they could monetize it they did a really bad job since they didnt release the special tabs for years after release. you could buy extra normal tabs if you wanted to store more crap but the good ones like the currency tab are relatively new.

I think you've completely missed the point, my objection isn't to the inventory tetris per se¹, it's to the fact that there's a dozen different currencies that are "equivalent" in that you can convert between them, but are all used for different things and used as crafting ingredients and don't stack with each other, and if you want a UI that handles that for you rather than just filling your main inventory with currency/crafting stacks, that's another $10 (and doesn't even save you from having to manually convert between them to make purchases). At least Guild Wars gives you the crafting tabs for free and only charges you if you want to stockpile huge amounts.

Like, the "a bunch of different crafting materials are also used as money" design is kind of interesting in theory, but really awkward in practice, and one of the main things that turned me off PoE, and the lovely UI for managing that is just the icing on the cake. It's like they looked at what a pain managing runes was in D2 and went "with an additional 15 years of industry experience to draw on, how can we make this suck even more?"

¹ Although as others have pointed out, inventory tetris interacts poorly with the giant explosions of loot that PoE has.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of the things you're thinking of as loot are just ammo for certain skills that happens to be full featured items for the one guy who might need them for his snowflake build.

You're also making currency out to be far more complicated than it is. 99% of the time you'll be buying items priced in exalts or chaos unless you desperately need something cheaper than that for a build and can't find one in gstash. And more often than not people aren't going to complain if you try to pay them in something else (especially scours, alchs and vaals, everyone needs those) at a reasonable exchange rate.

The game got along fine for years without any special handling for currency. The only real difference being that there is more incentive to cash in your penny jar when you don't have a currency tab to enable your hoarding. Or using it up trying to make that fancy sword you're too scared of pubbies to trade for.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ToxicFrog posted:

I think you've completely missed the point, my objection isn't to the inventory tetris per se¹, it's to the fact that there's a dozen different currencies that are "equivalent" in that you can convert between them
you dont pick up wisdom scrolls thinking you can convert them to fusings eventually unless you are retarded. you just stop picking up wisdom scrolls after a few hours. again, item filters make NOT picking things up very easy. this goes for all low tier currency.

the default stash space in guild wars was loving tiny and i felt very pressured in that game to buy more space very quickly with all the cosmetic poo poo they gave you. and that was after spending $60 on the base game.

Johnny Joestar posted:

grim dawn also has that function, for what it's worth
grim dawn has the most basic implementation of the concept possible. you can hide items below a certain threshold (like, hide everything below rare, hide everything below legendary) and i believe that is it right? poe's item filters offer a frankly crazy level of possible customization. like, i want to see rares but only the rares with the top bases, not the lovely lvl 5 base rares. i can do that easily. i can make it so the top base and the 2nd best base are different colors or sounds. i can make lvl 10 gems visible but not lvl 9 gems, or see white items but only when their item level is good enough for crafting. etc etc

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 1, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

To be fair, Grim Dawn doesn't really NEED that level of item filtering since it's more of a classic ARPG style where once you're fully decked out in greens you never need to see a white ever again, and so on. PoE actually does require it due to its whole weird crafting/selling system for stuff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grim dawn makes it so you don't have to care about a gigantic heap of complete garbage so you really, absolutely don't need anything more complex than 'stop showing me the vendor fodder'

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Infinity Gaia posted:

To be fair, Grim Dawn doesn't really NEED that level of item filtering since it's more of a classic ARPG style where once you're fully decked out in greens you never need to see a white ever again, and so on. PoE actually does require it due to its whole weird crafting/selling system for stuff.
yeah, its cool that poe doesnt invalidate the entirety of rare gear with uniques. thats one thing i love.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Awesome! posted:

yeah, its cool that poe doesnt invalidate the entirety of rare gear with uniques. thats one thing i love.

It still invalidates MOST of it though. Whites are only used for crafting purposes and blues are just... Not used, basically. I actually kind of dislike the focus on good rares in PoE as well. I WANT to use a lot of cool weird game changing equipment, but I can't because I need a boring solid statline. It's telling that most PoE builds only use 1 or 2 uniques.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Bear in mind that PoE recently got semi-gobbled by Tencent so...the future and MMO trappings are at once both hazier and more resource laden with potential than before.

PoE wholesale would be "best" with an offline mode for solo play and/or the ability to just pick and choose your skills to chase down whatever gimmick build as soon as you reach the first outpost without having to wade into trading hell.

Grim Dawn only gets better with each expansion and their interim updates, but it would've done far better if the leveling pace from 1-10 was more indicative of the experience across the acts---escalation beats slog, slog is only supposed to be there for when you are out of gas.

When has Tencent ever ruined a property that they picked up? They are pretty consistent about having a hands off policy when it comes to their Western properties.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Infinity Gaia posted:

It still invalidates MOST of it though. Whites are only used for crafting purposes and blues are just... Not used, basically.
blues are used for crafting as well. especially the new ones with cool mods that drop in the temple.

we can talk about how the game basically requires you to stack tons of life if you want to not die all the time though. it can be a little frustrating at times. i think its probably necessary so there is some tradeoff for wearing a bunch of mf gear or whatever.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I absolutely adore poe and have played it to death, but it doesn’t feel great to play. Cyclone is my favorite skill because it’s one of the few that doesn’t lock you in place, and it still has a wonky implementation that takes a while to get used to.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Synthetik is pretty cool

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I think it’s great. I got a win the other day at 155% difficulty and I just want to go higher and higher, it owns.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I think it’s great. I got a win the other day at 155% difficulty and I just want to go higher and higher, it owns.

I've cleared the first boss twice and reached the second boss once :3:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It did take a lot of grinding to get my first win... and the metaprogression does make a slight but distinct difference.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RyokoTK posted:

It did take a lot of grinding to get my first win... and the metaprogression does make a slight but distinct difference.

I can see that. It's really interesting sorting out which weapons are good at what.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jester Mcgee posted:

I absolutely adore poe and have played it to death, but it doesn’t feel great to play. Cyclone is my favorite skill because it’s one of the few that doesn’t lock you in place, and it still has a wonky implementation that takes a while to get used to.
have you played with it since they redid the pathing behavior a couple leagues ago?

Captain Foo posted:

Synthetik is pretty cool
ive been thinking about picking this up but the discount is pretty poopy this sale

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Awesome! posted:

have you played with it since they redid the pathing behavior a couple leagues ago?

ive been thinking about picking this up but the discount is pretty poopy this sale

It came out like a few months ago, it's understandable that they don't want to discount it deeply immediately.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's cheap and good, buy :hmmyes: :10bux:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Awesome! posted:

it's ten bux?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Captain Foo posted:

it's ten bux?
yes, that is the current price.

i guess i dont really want it that much

StrixNebulosa posted:

It came out like a few months ago, it's understandable that they don't want to discount it deeply immediately.
ah i didnt realize it came out in march

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Synthetik is pretty cool
I picked it up as well, and it plays like a modern Crusader: No Remorse. Combat is quick and turns dirty fast, but you often get a lot of time between fights to plan your next attack. The shields on top of your health also help to give you a bit of leeway for mistakes without feeling like you are getting chipped away and death spiraling. Boss fights seemed a bit more brutal, but I don't think I have given it enough playtime yet to adjust to the pace shift when they occur.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I am digging all the Samus avatars lately. Is there a particular reason for them beyond "the world needs more Metroid"?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I am digging all the Samus avatars lately. Is there a particular reason for them beyond "the world needs more Metroid"?

Something in the sgdq chat thread, there’s a lot of them there

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Floodkiller posted:

I picked it up as well, and it plays like a modern Crusader: No Remorse. Combat is quick and turns dirty fast, but you often get a lot of time between fights to plan your next attack. The shields on top of your health also help to give you a bit of leeway for mistakes without feeling like you are getting chipped away and death spiraling. Boss fights seemed a bit more brutal, but I don't think I have given it enough playtime yet to adjust to the pace shift when they occur.

the Raptor is way more bullet-hell than I was expecting given the rest of the game up to that point.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I visited a video game museum in Japan today and one of their demo stations had the original Shiren the Wanderer up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Foo posted:

the Raptor is way more bullet-hell than I was expecting given the rest of the game up to that point.

Most of his bullet hell is just to force you to keep moving in a direction instead of sitting in a safe spot. He doesn't have much that forces you to actively weave except for the periodic missile barrage.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

Most of his bullet hell is just to force you to keep moving in a direction instead of sitting in a safe spot. He doesn't have much that forces you to actively weave except for the periodic missile barrage.

It's one of the only times in the game I feel the need to rebind the eject/reload buttons; I hope support for mouse4/5 buttons comes soon!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can bind eject and reload to the same button, by the way. I have both set to space and it helps a lot.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Cheaper Synthetik if you're on the fence, use code SUMMER18 for another 18% off.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RyokoTK posted:

You can bind eject and reload to the same button, by the way. I have both set to space and it helps a lot.

I wasn't able to do this? It wouldn't let me bind it to the same button as the other was already assigned to

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

I wasn't able to do this? It wouldn't let me bind it to the same button as the other was already assigned to
You can do it if you set it in the alternate controls, for some reason.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's odd. Does it work if you do it via the config file?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The SDGQ thread is perpetually horny.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Naar posted:

You can do it if you set it in the alternate controls, for some reason.

hm, I'll try that

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Too Shy Guy posted:

I visited a video game museum in Japan today and one of their demo stations had the original Shiren the Wanderer up.

Should've used an old rear end crt!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Tangledeep is on sale at https://chrono.gg today!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The combat and traps in Unexplored seem incredibly super lethal, is there anything kinda obvious I might be missing, or do I just need to git gud?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It just takes practice, yes. For combat, try using a poke-y weapon like a spear; swingy weapons require much stricter timing. You pretty much have to be able to reliably kill melee guys without ever letting them hit you even once or you're screwed, and doing that with a short swingy weapon is a huge headache.

I haven't played it recently enough to remember any salient tips about traps, but as I recall the really lethal ones are the ones that involve gas clouds; there's often a way to turn off the gas, and you can sometimes burn it off yourself from safety.

Also remember you don't have to explore everything, and you can also do the standard roguelike cheese strat of ditching out and coming back later once you have more options.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

PMush Perfect posted:

The combat and traps in Unexplored seem incredibly super lethal, is there anything kinda obvious I might be missing, or do I just need to git gud?

Yeah, It’s mostly git gud, with some dungeons just being more brutal than others. Some tips:
  • next run, bring extra rations and gently caress around with the combat as your main focus.
  • you can pause and change weapons and armor w/o penalty as well as inspect enemies.
  • running isn’t always the right answer, but it works about half the time. More so if you’re set for stealth. No exp after all.
  • if it’s those drat lizards they’ll miss most of the time if you just stand still and then counterattack.
  • the most common animal ai won’t attack if they would hurt them self, thus dual wielding helps simply so your second pointy weapon stays between you and them while your primary is on cool down.
  • slimes are slow and have the same ai mentioned above, meaning the simplest way to handle a lone one (even acid) is to point your sword at, go around and simply walk away.
  • humanoid monsters are a lot less consistent depending on their gear. Doesn’t hurt to pause and decide whether your current gear is a good match if you’ve just cleared some animals or are geared for stealth and have something better than a cloak.
  • i presume it’s the hidden traps getting you. If you take the rogue start, you can use tools to disarm them, and oil to make it easier. If lacking perception and nimbleness then on trap heavy floors, wear better, non stealth armor if possible. If you -suspect- a trap, just standing in place will increase your chance to detect it, albeit at a short range. Mostly I only bother to do this next to chests or in insanely heavy trap areas.
  • if it’s the non-pressure plate trap, I’ve got lots of tips but no clue where to start.
  • something specific tripping you up, take a screenshot or pause and right click and share. Just know that if it’s a warden, gtfo and only come back when you’re sure
  • bad potions are good projectiles when the game is paused for accuracy. It’s worth swinging an empty bottle through a cauldron full of an unknown liquid. You can do it three times, so feel free to throw one against the wall for the id. Magic draining is the most notable, though not as fun as setting things on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can also throw weapons at stuff; carrying some spare daggers around is occasionally useful for enemies you don't want to get close to.

Like those loving lizards.