Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I've never, ever heard someone say 'caca' in real life. 'Caca Doo Doo' is an insane thing to say. I have to wonder if it's a generational or regional thing?
I strongly suspect it's a "No you're not allowed to have the Flash say 'poo poo'" thing and rather than rewrite the line he just did a really, really awkward substitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That does imply the editor also told Bendis he couldn't let Barry say "crap" either, because that would've got the same point across and sound like a thing people actually say.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or just thrown in some classic *%&$£ or black bars.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

goatface posted:

Or just thrown in some classic *%&$£ or black bars.

They were never letting Bendis actually put profanity into the book, so the 'poo poo' would've been censored. I think the idea is that you can't even have the Flash fake-swear.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if they're going to tell him to do that, why can't they just tell him to rewrite the line?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know why Superman kept giving those to Jimmy. There was always some bullshit happening with one piece or another.

Okayyy Jimmy *shakes out pockets* here's a radioactive space rock, some mystical cube or somesuch, annnd the whole of Krypton shrunk and put into a bottle. Good luck with it, peace

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the deputy fire chief says !#$!@ in that other group of pages that was posted

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My husband hosts a trivia night at our local bar, and I always help him come up with the questions every week. Now I'm curious, and it sounds like a good question: what was the first comic to use random punctuation to indicate swearing, anyone know offhand?

edit : Huh. Just looked it up for myself. They're called grawlixes, and first use was Katzenjammer Kids in 1902. That's two good questions, thanks thread!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 1, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Injustice 2 #51

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Gavok posted:

Injustice 2 #51

I'm going to download the DC app right now and buy all of Injustice. Seriously.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alaois posted:

the deputy fire chief says !#$!@ in that other group of pages that was posted
It might be more that they don't want Barry Allen to swear, and honestly I could see his character as one of those guys. That's still inexcusably dumb dialogue though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet it was a placeholder line or something stupid like that.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

unruly posted:

Lobo is a green lantern now, he beat atrocitus by first punting dex-star and then hitting him with a giant dick construct.

Killer croc and orca are in a relationship, and orca is pregnant.

booster gold is booster gold.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus gently caress you dont kick a cat then hit him with a dick

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Synthbuttrange posted:

Even it is a rage powered, plasma spewing cat from Arizona?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're powered by light.

Make a laser pointer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

unruly posted:

The beginning is rough and kinda dumb because they have to deal with the video game setup but once it gets going and more sure of itself it’s a really good read.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

big dick construct you say...?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ugh, I hate when writers try to shoehorn in complex technical lingo and get it wrong.

It's "turn it off and on again".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How do you even screw that up? Like, great, it was already on and now it's just off??

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ghostlight posted:

How do you even screw that up? Like, great, it was already on and now it's just off??

At the very least, it leaves you with a sense of certainty as to why your system isn't working.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ghostlight posted:

"In the first step there was some warning. Something about the system already running. But the next step worked flawlessly. I guess everyting ist fixed then."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's simple. You turn it on, thus proving the issue was that it wasn't on in the first place. Then you turn it off again because the service technician is already on their way and at least this way you don't have to *admit* you didn't check whether it was turned on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

frodnonnag posted:

Lobo is a green lantern now, he beat atrocitus by first punting dex-star and then hitting him with a giant dick construct.

The best part of Green Lantern Lobo is how it's so simple and lacking of drama after all these dramatic arguments.

Hal Jordan: Red Lantern Starro needs to be stopped. Salaak, give me a ring.
Salaak: Absolutely not! You've betrayed the Green Lanterns and you will never be one of us again!
Hal: This isn't about redemption. This is about necessity. The Red Lanterns are too powerful.
Salaak: Very well.
Sinestro: What about me?
Salaak: No way!
Sinestro: My daughter is in danger!
Salaak: You aren't getting a green ring, Sinestro!
Hal: Give him a green ring. He was really good at it, remember? We don't have time!
Salaak: Fine! FINE! Just go save the universe!
Lobo: Give me a ring.
Salaak: ...okay.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hup posted:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hup posted:

Lobo has literal BDE.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Absolutely mind-blowing gauntlet from Puma.

Pete heard about Puma's gauntlet abilities.

And Pete gets a phone call from Matt Murdock during the Born Again arc. He tells Spidey that Kingpin found out his secret identity, and might know Spider-Man's as well. Peter, being the decent dude he is, decides to have a talk with Wilson about what he's doing but Kingpin is his usual "you can't touch me" self. So this is how he gets back at him for ruining a good man's life.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spider-Man has a long history of petty slights against the Kingpin. Happens in Ultimate Spider-Man, too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I love that he's not even angry so much as perplexed. :allears:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

To be fair, atrocitus did just cut lobo in half at the waist, causing his three legs to ride off with his space chopper.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Spider-Man has a long history of petty slights against the Kingpin. Happens in Ultimate Spider-Man, too.

I prefer beating Fisk within an inch of his life in front of other convicts while Fisk is in jail, then letting him know he can do this any time, and if Aunt Mary does die, he's coming back to finish the job. It's not great because he beats him up, per se; it's great because for Kingpin, it's the ultimate case of losing face. His physical superiority is gone, and he can't hold him in mental checkmate, either, because he already made his big move. And Fisk abhors losing face.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

frodnonnag posted:

To be fair, atrocitus did just cut lobo in half at the waist, causing his three legs to ride off with his space chopper.

Which knowing the Injustice writers, it is going his bike and legs are going to show up later in the comic at an important point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I prefer beating Fisk within an inch of his life in front of other convicts while Fisk is in jail, then letting him know he can do this any time, and if Aunt Mary does die, he's coming back to finish the job. It's not great because he beats him up, per se; it's great because for Kingpin, it's the ultimate case of losing face. His physical superiority is gone, and he can't hold him in mental checkmate, either, because he already made his big move. And Fisk abhors losing face.

But then, you know, the Devil

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Didn't Peter also literally take pieces of his face?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zil posted:

Which knowing the Injustice writers, it is going his bike and legs are going to show up later in the comic at an important point.

Did they undo the whole clone regeneration thing? Because it seems like logically Green Lantern Lobo is going to have to fight Bike Lobo to get it back.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zil posted:

If I remember right, it means we're probably going to get two Lobos now.

To be fair, that belongs in the badass panels thread.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keeshhound posted:

Did they undo the whole clone regeneration thing? Because it seems like logically Green Lantern Lobo is going to have to fight Bike Lobo to get it back.

Given that only Lobo can kill Lobo, that'd be an actual credible threat. Maybe Bike Lobo ends up with a Red Lantern power ring and they have themselves a christmas light show fight in space.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Pete also rocks the black suit in that story.

Spidey just let Fisk know he owns him now.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 2, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

It's Injustice universe, so it's probably easier just to assume he never had that ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ConfusedUs posted:

I thought this was going to be when he came prepared with a written list of fat jokes.