Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

starting a phrase about the border with "We Must Secure" is actually pretty common among politicians, like I can find examples of Deval Patrick and Marco Rubio doing it.

the fact that it's 14 words and the particular rhythm of it, and the fact that its an agency in charge of ethnic cleansing, makes me think its a nazi having a bit of fun but whatever.

they have plausible deniability on their side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I love plausible deniability

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"people are communicating to me through public coded messages" is like the most bullshit thing ever.
It's actually a sign of erotomania.

wikipedia posted:

In his paper that described the syndrome, de Clérambault referenced a patient he had counselled who was obsessed with British monarch George V. She had stood outside Buckingham Palace for hours at a time, believing that the king was communicating his desire for her by moving the curtains.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is it? "people are communicating to me through public coded messages" is like the most bullshit thing ever. It's not even like the paper used 1488, it used like, 1388 with 88 being the actual percent that passed the "credible fear interview"

It actually is, and a fourteen word sentence starting "we must secure" is a huge dog whistle, gently caress off oocc

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://lta.reuters.com/article/idLTAL1N1FZ27Q posted:

Between July and September of 2016, U.S. asylum officers accepted nearly
88 percent of the claims of credible fear, according to U.S.
Citizenship and Immigration Services data.

The '88' is from this Reuters article, so unless you think Reuters is infiltrated by Nazis as well, that particular part is just coincidence.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If it was "we must secure funding for the upcoming fiscal year to buy even more donuts" that'd be one thing but its a racially charged statement that fits a well known profile from the modern day gestapo who are literally throwing people into camps

gently caress off with this "actually you're just reading into it" poo poo you moron, you rube, you absolute idiot, go back to jacking off over automated cars

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Spiderman has appeared in comics with the xmen and the xmen have appeared in comics with star trek so spiderman totally at least knows people that know spock.

AND it was tng you absolute rube you can't even be right about poo poo that doesn't matter Jesus Christ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SimonChris posted:

The '88' is from this Reuters article, so unless you think Reuters is infiltrated by Nazis as well, that particular part is just coincidence.

That's not the statistic they cite

quote:

The increase in claims filed is not associated with an increase in meritorious claims. As of FY 17, the asylum grant rate for defensive applications in immigration court is approximately 30%. On average, out of 88 claims that pass the credible fear screening, fewer than 13 will ultimately result in a grant of asylum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I don't know about the Nazi hidden messages thing but given that ICE being Nazis wasn't in doubt, it's not exactly telling us anything new

Besides, when the day comes where each and every one of these fuckers goes to Death Row you'll certainly have stronger evidence to put them there

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

13 is close enough to 14, of course the Illuminati don't put the exact numbers you'd expect in their signs or everyone would know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"Hey, nazis like to use coded messages to acknowledge each other and gaslight people."

"Get a load of this insane conspiracy theorist!"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

VitalSigns posted:

13 is close enough to 14, of course the Illuminati don't put the exact numbers you'd expect in their signs or everyone would know.

Some of the stuff written on this claims that the number 13 also has some white supremacist significance. No idea.

e: Some gang thing? Not MS-13 of course. :v:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Pretty sure even David Duke tweeted about the New Improved 14 Words.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I know what you guys mean when you say that the left imagines hidden symbols everywhere.

This photo went around of the governor of Arizona with some people who were just making an innocent "OK" symbol and people saw all sorts of hidden coded symbols.

And then, they carried around this flag that is a wholly unique design that is completely different from anything else in history.

These guys are always getting unfairly accused of stuff:
Two women tied to Patriot Movement AZ arrested after incident at Arizona mosque

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

"Get a load of this insane conspiracy theorist!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wish TtFA hadn't felt the need to split hairs on "death camp" versus "camp where kids will die" and gotten a 30-day probe for it. This thread went from laughing at reddit's pareidolia to being those guys in like no time :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, if you read 14 words beginning with "we must secure" about how racism is great from anyone else in the world you'd think they might be a bit shifty.

The fact that it's a US government department doing it, well, doesn't that just make it more likely to be true at this point?

I'm really not sure it's equivalent to people thinking a random 4chan gibberish poster is nostradamus.

Not all coded messaging is insane nonsense, and white supremacists are really well known for doing it unironically.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm talking about the numerology stuff looking for magic numbers like 1488 or numbers which are "close enough" to those magic numbers like 13 that they can be rationalized into a post hoc fit if you want to find those numbers bad enough.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
So how about that Q fella? I wonder what going on with that guy?

quote:

whitebeard39 #Releasethetexts - Q 24 points · 3 hours ago

Why is this picture posted in the reverse? The writings on the vestments are backwards.

quote:

DeborahHarker Promises made. Promises kept. - Q 2 points · 41 minutes ago

The Devil turns everything upside down... And backwards

quote:

MakeRedditGA New or rearrival. 12 points · 2 hours ago

I love how people are like "WE ARE ALL BEING LIED TO", but then simply fit everything to their agenda. Oh, the pope sits on a chair, lets switch this circle around and now it barely resembles some other symbol. HA! And now he is a pedophile! The lengths some people go to. Oh look, he is also the true king of Westeros.

Soon we will see posts about repitilians and David Icke here and people will link to Alex Jones. No wonder nobody is taking one serious when all the nutjobs come along.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think that's really numerology as much as "the fourteen words" is literally how they're described and they have a specific history as a way to communicate white nationalism without sounding like nazis.

E: like the post above is nutcase stuff, 1488 stuff is, well, just what neo nazis do.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jagged Jim posted:

So how about that Q fella? I wonder what going on with that guy?

oh huh, i didn't know the pope was orlanthi

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
When I worked for the state gov, our drug policy was form 420. Someone was having a little fun. Same thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think that's really numerology as much as "the fourteen words" is literally how they're described and they have a specific history as a way to communicate white nationalism without sounding like nazis.

It's numerology when a sentence contains a 88 and a "fewer than 13" and then you say "fewer than 13 is 14!" to jam 1488 into it. Or say there is 14 bullet points because if you count them there is 13 and one of them has two topics so that is 14 bullet points. And like as DHS points out even like nancy pelosi has said "we must secure our borders" because it's a super common phrase.

Like DHS and law enforcement and ICE are extremely racist organizations and contain people that are actual neo-nazis but at the same time any sort of claim that the evil group is hiding a bunch of coded messages in plain sight is pretty much universally parts of conspiracy and very very very rarely pans out.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's numerology when a sentence contains a 88 and a "fewer than 13" and then you say "fewer than 13 is 14!" to jam 1488 into it. Or say there is 14 bullet points because if you count them there is 13 and one of them has two topics so that is 14 bullet points. And like as DHS points out even like nancy pelosi has said "we must secure our borders" because it's a super common phrase.

Like DHS and law enforcement and ICE are extremely racist organizations and contain people that are actual neo-nazis but at the same time any sort of claim that the evil group is hiding a bunch of coded messages in plain sight is pretty much universally parts of conspiracy and very very very rarely pans out.

There are 14 words in the opening phrase, and then an inexplicable 88 jammed into the end of the document. It is 100% Neo-Nazi signaling. I don't know why it's so completely baffling to you that monsters like to signal to each other, but this is all extremely well documented and easily recognized behavior.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

E: like the post above is nutcase stuff, 1488 stuff is, well, just what neo nazis do.

Flipping pictures around until the symbols look like some other symbol isn't much different from coming up with post hoc numerology strategies to turn some number into some other number with a special meaning.

"This paper uses the number 14/88" hmm I agree a little dodgy. Compare:

"This paper uses the number X/88, and if you come up with another number Y on your own then X+Y = 14 which just proves it's a secret code to disguise 14/88 for anyone except the elect with the secret knowledge"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Actually, you can buy a new hat with $14.88 and Milo was feeling generous that day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

There are 14 words in the opening phrase, and then an inexplicable 88 jammed into the end of the document. It is 100% Neo-Nazi signaling. I don't know why it's so completely baffling to you that monsters like to signal to each other, but this is all extremely well documented and easily recognized behavior.

An opening phrase that also opens exactly like the 14 Words does. If it was more obvious, they'd be wearing swastikas.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

Flipping pictures around until the symbols look like some other symbol isn't much different from coming up with post hoc numerology strategies to turn some number into some other number with a special meaning.

This paper doesn't use 14/88 it uses "fewer than 13 out of 88". Where you just have to secretly know that the 13 actually means 14 and is encoding a message for you.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I mean, it's ICE. It doesn't seem like a stretch that whoever runs ICE's Twitter is a neo-nazi. It doesn't really matter, since ICE is literally rounding people up and putting them in camps. Even if their Twitter was about how great tacos are they'd be Nazis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

"This paper uses the number X/88, and if you come up with another number Y on your own then X+Y = 14 which just proves it's a secret code to disguise 14/88 for anyone except the elect with the secret knowledge"

No, the publication has a literal 14 word title beginning with "we must secure" and 88 at the end, and is about how we need to keep the foreigners out, from a government and a department that behaves really loving fashy in a lot of ways.

That's not numerology. And it's really not comparable with the idea that the pope likes to gently caress little boys because he sat in a chair that if you turn it backwards and squint a lot looks like some random symbol nobody's ever heard of that supposedly means you like to gently caress little boys.

The pope likes loving little boys because he's the head of the catholic church, not because he displays it in weird nonsensical, spurious ways. Whereas 1488 symbolism is a well documented thing that actual neo nazis do a lot because they're sad baby men and also the US government behaves like actual loving fascists openly.

Like, how is it a reach? They do nazi poo poo to people, and that nazis are weirdos who like advertising their nazism in coded ways is easily documented.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 2, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The 13 is a stretch.
88 all on its own has special significance, it doesn't need a 14 to mean Hail Hitler.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And like as DHS points out even like nancy pelosi has said "we must secure our borders" because it's a super common phrase.

What if pelosi is a nazi too?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I mean, it's ICE

It wasn't ICE though, and I know I'm harping on this and looking like a nazi defender but this is exactly how Qanon can be what it is. Now that we know there is secret messages being communicated to us we are free to massage the facts, 13/88 is a stretch and DHS is basically ice so next time we talk about this we will say ICE wrote it and it said 1488, harmlessly simplify it down a little. Then the next time something happens we can reference back to those facts, now unanchored from the original story and start to get our own mythology, then we end up 40 levels deep of mythos that refers to other mythos.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This paper doesn't use 14/88 it uses "fewer than 13 out of 88". Where you just have to secretly know that the 13 actually means 14 and is encoding a message for you.

What? No. Not every number in the article has to be some secret signal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It wasn't ICE though, and I know I'm harping on this and looking like a nazi defender but this is exactly how Qanon can be what it is. Now that we know there is secret messages being communicated to us we are free to massage the facts, 13/88 is a stretch and DHS is basically ice so next time we talk about this we will say ICE wrote it and it said 1488, harmlessly simplify it down a little. Then the next time something happens we can reference back to those facts, now unanchored from the original story and start to get our own mythology, then we end up 40 levels deep of mythos that refers to other mythos.

Are you just ignoring the part where it opens with a 14-word phrase that begins the same as the 14 Words? Or are you just going to keep harping about something else?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, because people are trying to argue like the number 1488 actually appeared and that it's ridiculous to be skeptical of such an obvious symbol, when in reality an 88 appeared in the denominator of a fraction with a 13 for a numerator and they're arguing that if you replace that 13 with a 14 then it's totally the magic symbol and of course the really clever Nazis would signal with random numbers because you're expected to know to replace them with the special numbers.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
gonna pitch Trident a new ad campaign

76 of 88 dentists agree we must secure a future for white teeth and yada yada

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You are deliberately misinterpreting the arguments being presented in this thread. No one has gave a single solitary poo poo about the 13 lines in the article, the article opens with a direct reference to the literal 14 words. And then ends with attacked on statistic that is just an excuse to use the number 88.

I'm starting to see why you have your reputation of being willfully ignorant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, because people are trying to argue like the number 1488 actually appeared and that it's ridiculous to be skeptical of such an obvious symbol, when in reality an 88 appeared in the denominator of a fraction with a 13 for a numerator and they're arguing that if you replace that 13 with a 14 then it's totally the magic symbol and of course the really clever Nazis would signal with random numbers because you're expected to know to replace them with the special numbers.

You... do know that the 14 and the 88 in 1488 aren't actually related, yeah? Like they come from two different bits of neonazi coding?

And that, like, they still have meaning on their own? Hence why we have the 14 words and you see the odd neonazi signing off with just 88?

And again, we know neo nazis do this, this isn't some weird thing nobody has heard of before. I don't know why they feel the need to talk in loving codes at each other but they demonstrably do. It makes no sense to be incredulous about the very idea of them doing that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Prester Jane posted:

He doesn't think social networks should care if people are openly grooming kids for sex or exchanging child pornography. It's not surprising he refuses to notice that ICE issued a Nazi as hell page.