Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Ostrander wrote SS, it's probably good. If not, you're takin' a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If Ostrander wrote SS, it's probably good. If not, you're takin' a chance.

Ostrander's original Suicide Squad run that lasted from 1987 to 1993-ish is one of my top ten comic runs of all time. It has aged incredibly well, better than almost anything else from that era. It's the reason anyone gives a poo poo about Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, Amanda Waller, and the Squad/Task Force X concept in general today.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Problem with modern SS is that people take the story but not the concept. They can have any villain fill in any espionage team but they do they instead do the same thing over and over without playing with the idea. It's like they copy one story arc of Ostrander's over and over and don't do anything new with the concept

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I know James Jr. was in the N52 Suicide Squad for a bit but Suicide Squad got relaunched a stupid number of times in N52 and I quit it quick. It did not seem good, but then, I've hated the vast majority of Suicide Squad material I've read in the past.

I was mostly wondering about pre New 52 continuity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

According to this list of appearances (https://comicvine.gamespot.com/james-gordon-jr/4005-70633/issues-cover/) he's barely appeared between Year One and Black Mirror.
I haven't read Long Halloween or the Legends of the Dark Knight stories. Do they develop anything? It might be all on Snyder.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I was mostly wondering about pre New 52 continuity.

Oh then no, Black Mirror's like his only story pre-N52. Flashpoint happened like, right after JJ's intro (that is to say, the introduction/retcon of psycho JJ)

e: poo poo I lied he's in the next couple arcs (featuring the arc you want where Gordon learns his son is nuts) after Black Mirror, he does appear right before Flashpoint though so there's not a lot of pre-N52 material

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 1, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

According to this list of appearances (https://comicvine.gamespot.com/james-gordon-jr/4005-70633/issues-cover/) he's barely appeared between Year One and Black Mirror.
I haven't read Long Halloween or the Legends of the Dark Knight stories. Do they develop anything? It might be all on Snyder.

I think he's still a baby or Toddler in Long Halloween, I'm thinking James Junior the psychopath is a Scott Snyder invention. I thought there might have been a story about him being dangerous in the intervening years.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Finalfinished my reread through of the complete original run of Ultimate Spider-Man. Haven't jumped into Ultimate Comics yet because I'm detouring to X-Men. It starts out pretty good. Not as good as Spidey, but I'm enjoying it. When does it get completely dire like I've heard? I think back in the day I only read about 20 issues of the main run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

Finalfinished my reread through of the complete original run of Ultimate Spider-Man. Haven't jumped into Ultimate Comics yet because I'm detouring to X-Men. It starts out pretty good. Not as good as Spidey, but I'm enjoying it. When does it get completely dire like I've heard? I think back in the day I only read about 20 issues of the main run.

Robert Kirkman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Robert Kirkman.

Yeah. Bail out after Vaughn's run.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This has probably already been asked but has Juggernaut been retconned into a mutant in the comics?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

bessantj posted:

This has probably already been asked but has Juggernaut been retconned into a mutant in the comics?

I believe Juggernaut remains a magically-enhanced human (but this is the X-Men we're talking about, so it's entirely possible I missed a retcon or three somewhere along the way).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ecavalli posted:

I believe Juggernaut remains a magically-enhanced human (but this is the X-Men we're talking about, so it's entirely possible I missed a retcon or three somewhere along the way).

Ah good, considering he's a mutant in X-Men 3 and Deadpool 2 I wondered if they'd retconned somewhere along the way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

No, but no word on Juggerduck yet.

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1009206455663292416

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Ah good, considering he's a mutant in X-Men 3 and Deadpool 2 I wondered if they'd retconned somewhere along the way.

Nah. He's had some troubles with Cyttorak over the years - one of which was a major story whose name escapes me - but that's where he gets his juice from.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Please tell me he is powered by the Gem of Cyttoquack.

Also, did they label him as a Mutant in DP2 or was it just he was in the Mutant prison?

Having the cop out of Juggernaut being a mutant so he headbutts himself unconscious is just one of the many sins of X3.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick with DP2, they had one of those collars on him but they could just stop all types of powers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think for the movies it's easier to just roll him into being a mutant rather than get bogged down explaining how, no, he's not a mutant he's really just a guy that found a mystical gem in a Korean cave that is empowered by the demigod-like being which Doctor Strange invokes during bondage sessions. It's a distinction that rarely pays off in the comics and so far is wholly irrelevant in the movies.

Also, in DP2 they definitely don't have one of those collars on him. It's never shown, and while he is in the prison with all the mutants wearing collars, he's also wearing his bucket that completely covers his neck, and is kept in an isolated chamber away from the unpowered populace.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was talking to my friend who had just read the new Thor #1, and said to me "I don't think Thor and Juggernaut ever fought before." Now I'm looking for my copies of Thor 411 and 412 for him.

Didn't one of those get a shoutout in DP2, or was that 429?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh good an excuse to post this

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghostlight posted:

Oh good an excuse to post this

Seeing that coming at me, I'd probably poo poo out my entire skeleton before impact.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I like how Juggs remembers reading about thors hammer. Like its was in the last weeks issue of 'capes weekly'

"Thors, hammer always returns to him? Neat! Oh spider-man has a car? I should get a car. 'The Juggertruck'! Oh man im gonna do so many doughnuts on Chuck's lawn."

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Agent_grey posted:

I like how Juggs remembers reading about thors hammer. Like its was in the last weeks issue of 'capes weekly'

"Thors, hammer always returns to him? Neat! Oh spider-man has a car? I should get a car. 'The Juggertruck'! Oh man im gonna do so many doughnuts on Chuck's lawn."

He reads the in universe Thor comics

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cain's never been dumb, really. Not like the Absorbing Man or something. He catches on, it's just how tactical do you need your thinking to be when you're the Juggernaut <ancient meme>?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Also, in DP2 they definitely don't have one of those collars on him. It's never shown, and while he is in the prison with all the mutants wearing collars, he's also wearing his bucket that completely covers his neck, and is kept in an isolated chamber away from the unpowered populace.

Ah I thought he did. There are probable some mutant powers you can't really turn off. If you stick one of those collars on a morlock do they turn back into a 'normal' looking human?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just so I'm not bogging down the Funny Panels thread with questions and not funny panels,

Do all of Thing's catchphrases date from the Kirby-Lee run? Did anyone after them manage to give him new sayings that have stuck around?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Just so I'm not bogging down the Funny Panels thread with questions and not funny panels,

Do all of Thing's catchphrases date from the Kirby-Lee run? Did anyone after them manage to give him new sayings that have stuck around?
Ever loving Blue eyed, anything Yancy Street and Clobbering Time are all definitely Lee/Kirby, does he have other catch phrases?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Skwirl posted:

Ever loving Blue eyed, anything Yancy Street and Clobbering Time are all definitely Lee/Kirby, does he have other catch phrases?

Aunt Petunia, which is also Kirby

BTW, she appeared in Byrne's run, she was a nurse taking care of Ben Grimm's uncle who then married him. Then Mark Millar killed her because of course

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 3, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

There's "Wotta revoltin' development!", which was taken from a 1940s radio sitcom and I would suspect is Lee/Kirby as well, given that vintage. How about when he talks about his Aunt Petunia?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This isn't quite the same thing, but I was reading an Essential trade of that sort of deadzone forgotten FF between Lee and Byrne (by Wolfman? Wein? Conway?) and they put the Thing's accent into loving overdrive, every single line was something like

"Ehhhh, Highpockets, dis lady sez she ain't in no kindsa mood fer yer bella-achin' so's mebbe youse skedaddle outta da jernt, Chester!"

I'm willing to believe Lee snuck in a couple of "mebbe"s but whoever wrote this run had Ben talking about "dis jernt" and "dat jernt" and "da jernt" at least once an issue, it was really odd.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

He's also the self-proclaimed "idol o' millions" and he has his "Sunday punch". Feel like there are even more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

This isn't quite the same thing, but I was reading an Essential trade of that sort of deadzone forgotten FF between Lee and Byrne (by Wolfman? Wein? Conway?) and they put the Thing's accent into loving overdrive, every single line was something like

Doug Moench (!) was in there too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Unmature posted:

He reads the in universe Thor comics

The ones that say it's all done with tech, and Thor, Loki, and Odin are just a regular family with issues?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm willing to believe Lee snuck in a couple of "mebbe"s but whoever wrote this run had Ben talking about "dis jernt" and "dat jernt" and "da jernt" at least once an issue, it was really odd.

I've spent nearly my entire life in NYC, and I've never once heard anyone call anything a "jernt". My grandfather grew up on the Lower East, which I believe is where the fictional Yancy street was intended to exist, and he always said "joint". There was definitely a lot of "dis, dat, and da utter ting" but no "jernt".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

"Ehhhh, Highpockets, dis lady sez she ain't in no kindsa mood fer yer bella-achin' so's mebbe youse skedaddle outta da jernt, Chester!"

Truly it is sad that Rodney Dangerfield will never voice the Thing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jedi posted:

I've spent nearly my entire life in NYC, and I've never once heard anyone call anything a "jernt". My grandfather grew up on the Lower East, which I believe is where the fictional Yancy street was intended to exist, and he always said "joint". There was definitely a lot of "dis, dat, and da utter ting" but no "jernt".
My grandmother grew up in Jersey City and spent her entire life in New Jersey and while I don't know if I ever heard her say "joint" one way or the other, she absolutely talked about how dirty the "terlets" were in public restrooms, so maybe that's where they got it from? She also called Tylenol "Tydenol" so who knows what was going on there.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jedi posted:

I suspect the "jernt" was someone trying to write a more Brooklynese accent, the one where Greenpoint gets turned into "Greenpernt."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hey, you just met him
And this means war
But here's his number
So

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hey dudes, who's in charge of HYDRA these days? And SHIELD? (Nick Jr. and Hill?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hey dudes, who's in charge of HYDRA these days? And SHIELD? (Nick Jr. and Hill?)

SHIELD is officially defunct, and HYDRA's leadership will probably be a plot point in the upcoming Captain America.