Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Today’s Rome dev diary

I mean sure I guess, buildings do stuff. I would really like to read about the reasons why things are the way they are instead of just a list of irrelevant numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellblade posted:

Today’s Rome dev diary

I mean sure I guess, buildings do stuff. I would really like to read about the reasons why things are the way they are instead of just a list of irrelevant numbers.
:flaccid:

I'm excited for the game but at this point it seems like these Dev Diaries are like "The game has butan" :agesilaus:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

this is the first time i've seen this image and it's hilarious.

"no you can't trademark 'bestiest game ever'"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

axeil posted:

That's fantastic. :golfclap:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Has Paradox released over 100 bucks worth of DLCs for their niche game? Yes.

Did I buy them all? Yes.

Do I feel bad about it? No.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fellblade posted:

Today’s Rome dev diary

They're very good at making the frothiest grogs angry which is extremly entertaining

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

axeil posted:

Swap legal and production IMO

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Enjoy posted:

Swap legal and production IMO

Literal lawyers aren't lawful :confused:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

AnoHito posted:

Literal lawyers aren't lawful :confused:

Can’t say I’ve ever met a lawful good lawyer, but I’m sure they are out there somewhere!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:flaccid:

I'm excited for the game but at this point it seems like these Dev Diaries are like "The game has butan" :agesilaus:

I'm inclined to agree, we get so little and it's so basic. We do get little tiny bits of nice information, like being able to queue up buildings in this one, but I wish they were more in depth even if that means delaying them until the game's further along.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

catlord posted:

I'm inclined to agree, we get so little and it's so basic. We do get little tiny bits of nice information, like being able to queue up buildings in this one, but I wish they were more in depth even if that means delaying them until the game's further along.

I'm actually okay with the amount of content in the dev diaries thus far. I would like to see more, sure, but the game is still a good chunk of months away so this pacing allows me to pick at the nitty-gritty a bit.

I really wish they would do a dev diary covering trade goods and how that system will work. From previous diaries and various screenshots, this is what I've been able to figure out:

Camel
Cloth
Elephants
Fish
Grain
Green Fan Plant?
Horse
Iron
Livestock
Olives
Pelts?
Salt?
Wine
Wood

Green Fan Plant is my favorite.

Ofaloaf posted:

If you want to make some total conversion sort of mod that isn't set in Antiquity, yeah it's going to be weird if you aren't able to rope someone in who has the modelling experience and can replace all those togas.

As someone who is planning a total conversion mod that isn't set in Antiquity, this is a pretty big concern for me. Worst case scenario is that I take a couple of polygons and slap some 2D images on them. Hopefully that will work...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm actually okay with the amount of content in the dev diaries thus far. I would like to see more, sure, but the game is still a good chunk of months away so this pacing allows me to pick at the nitty-gritty a bit.

I'd a least rather we get diaries like Dev Diary #2, which also gave just a bit of information but also talked about why they made some of the choices they made, in that case for the start date and map size. Compare to, say, Dev Diary #3 and #4, which just give you a list of things.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

I really wish they would do a dev diary covering trade goods and how that system will work. From previous diaries and various screenshots, this is what I've been able to figure out:

Camel
Cloth
Elephants
Fish
Grain
Green Fan Plant?
Horse
Iron
Livestock
Olives
Pelts?
Salt?
Wine
Wood

Green Fan Plant is my favorite.

As someone who is planning a total conversion mod that isn't set in Antiquity, this is a pretty big concern for me. Worst case scenario is that I take a couple of polygons and slap some 2D images on them. Hopefully that will work...

Green Fan Plant = hemp

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

IV/XX burn Rome erryday

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Green Fan Plant = hemp

Ahh, thanks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

aphid_licker posted:

IV/XX burn Rome erryday

:catdrugs:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am a bit behind the times and only just learned about Red Shell (spyware) in Civ6 today.

How does Paradox gather their game statistics, I assume not Red Shell?

Edit: Guess the Paradox Interactive Privacy Policy kinda gives the answer. So they collect more than just game data and actually share it. No way to opt out...

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 4, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tahirovic posted:

I am a bit behind the times and only just learned about Red Shell (spyware) in Civ6 today.

How does Paradox gather their game statistics, I assume not Red Shell?

Edit: Guess the Paradox Interactive Privacy Policy kinda gives the answer. So they collect more than just game data and actually share it. No way to opt out...
Skimming that, I'm not sure it's actually legal under EU law. Hit them with the GDPR.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrossMurpel posted:

Huh. People actually care about how good the portraits look? Portraits were always on par with the 3D army models for me regarding their level of importance.

Have you seen how much unit DLC there is out there? :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Skimming that, I'm not sure it's actually legal under EU law. Hit them with the GDPR.

They uh, literally mention GDPR by name in the second paragraph so you might not have a lot of success with that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
resident forum poster skims legal document and assumes a necessary verdict, news at 11

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They uh, literally mention GDPR by name in the second paragraph so you might not have a lot of success with that.
I was going by Tahirovic's post, which claims no way to opt out. Obviously it's fine if you can opt-out as easily as you can opt-in, and if opting-out doesn't impact your actual game experience. In Paradox's own words, the latter isn't the case though? And withdrawing consent doesn't seem to be as easy as giving it? Trying to submit a request, you get the choice between requesting information, or account deletion, but not the option to just tell them to not collect data on you that's not relevant to providing the service.

In any case, merely mentioning GDPR isn't the same as being in compliance - as shown by numerous companies breaking the GDPR by unlawfully requesting consent in an attempt to be in compliance immediately after it came into effect.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I spent the first 6 months of this year elbow-deep in GDPR (I'm part of a team that publishes several mobile apps and websites for a major global consumer product brand) and their privacy policy looks, to my non-lawyery eye, just fine re: GDPR conformity.

Bear in mind that much of the information that they mention collecting is also likely anonymized to one degree or another whether explicitly mentioned or not.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was going by Tahirovic's post, which claims no way to opt out. Obviously it's fine if you can opt-out as easily as you can opt-in, and if opting-out doesn't impact your actual game experience. In Paradox's own words, the latter isn't the case though? And withdrawing consent doesn't seem to be as easy as giving it? Trying to submit a request, you get the choice between requesting information, or account deletion, but not the option to just tell them to not collect data on you that's not relevant to providing the service.

That's not the underlying point of GDPR, which can be boiled down to granting consumers a "right to be forgotten", not "a right to always be anonymous without any limits on service". You do have the option to opt out of any data collection on Paradox's part, the condition being you accept that you then have limited access to their services (including their games). You can't have your cake and eat it too here, the price of completely and totally opting out is not playing a Paradox game.

You can completely opt out of Facebook using your personal information too, the price being that you then have to stop using Facebook. You can opt out of Valve collecting your personal information via Steam, the implication being that you can then no longer use Steam.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 5, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What they do is all legal, doesn't mean it's cool. It sounds kinda harmless but they still seem to gather a lot of data outside of "which national focus do people like". It sounds like they even gather which SteamIDs play multiplayer together. It is pretty unclear how exactly they gather the data, which data they really transmit and if/how they anonymize it.

Drone posted:

That's not the underlying point of GDPR, which can be boiled down to granting consumers a "right to be forgotten", not "a right to always be anonymous without any limits on service". You do have the option to opt out of any data collection on Paradox's part, the condition being you accept that you then have limited access to their services (including their games). You can't have your cake and eat it too here, the price of completely and totally opting out is not playing a Paradox game.

The only way to opt out is to not play the games you paid for, that's kind of bullshit honestly.

In a nice world they'd change it so it only gathers any data if you're logged into your Paradox account. If you don't you opt out of the data gathering.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 5, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tahirovic posted:

It sounds like they even gather which SteamIDs play multiplayer together.

It states this precisely nowhere in that privacy policy, at least not that I can find. Where did you see this?

Tahirovic posted:

In a nice world they'd change it so it only gathers any data if you're logged into your Paradox account. If you don't you opt out of the data gathering.

Yeah, that would be the ideal, but it's also incompatible with selling a product that is pretty much completely digital-only, via a digital storefront, to customers located worldwide. Even if you scaled the amount of data collected back to "the literal bare minimum we need in order to run a competent online-based business", you're still collecting data that is vital to business intelligence. Example: you need to know someone's operating system in order to make sure your product runs on it; you need to know someone's physical location in order to determine if it's a wise business decision to put out an official localization in that person's native language; you need to know which online platform they bought from in order to determine where best to concentrate your efforts and maybe no longer invest in platforms that don't provide you with an acceptable ROI; you need to know things about the player's gaming habits (how much time spent in single player vs. multiplayer, which countries are the most played, etc.) in order to better tailor your product to meet consumer demand. You need to know how many people bought your product and exactly when (launch day? Steam sale? holidays?) in order to determine an effective and fair pricing structure.

Big Data is awful and the future of data is scary, but Big Bad Paradox (noted unethical company!) isn't collecting any data that is in any way unreasonable, and GDPR helps to ensure that the data they do collect is handled responsibly, and helps to ensure that you have full control over your data should you ever wish to go off the grid.

Tahirovic posted:

The only way to opt out is to not play the games you paid for, that's kind of bullshit honestly.

Put your Steam in offline mode and block Paradox games on your router firewall if you're that concerned about it.

It sucks, but you didn't purchase a game. You purchased a license to a game, and never purchased a guarantee that it will be usable forever. Sorry, but that's how things work in a post-physical medium world.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 5, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

It states this precisely nowhere in that privacy policy, at least not that I can find. Where did you see this?
It doesn't stay SteamIDs but does this sound like anonymized data to you?

Privacy Policy posted:

Multiplayer sessions, when these sessions were played and which players were in them
Which players were in them? Paradox account names? SteamIDs? This is the most dodgy part that we can read and opens up a lot of speculation.

Drone posted:

Yeah, that would be the ideal, but it's also incompatible with selling a product that is pretty much completely digital-only, via a digital storefront, to customers located worldwide. Even if you scaled the amount of data collected back to "the literal bare minimum we need in order to run a competent online-based business", you're still collecting data that is vital to business intelligence. Example: you need to know someone's operating system in order to make sure your product runs on it; you need to know someone's physical location in order to determine if it's a wise business decision to put out an official localization in that person's native language; you need to know which online platform they bought from in order to determine where best to concentrate your efforts and maybe no longer invest in platforms that don't provide you with an acceptable ROI; you need to know things about the player's gaming habits (how much time spent in single player vs. multiplayer, which countries are the most played, etc.) in order to better tailor your product to meet consumer demand. You need to know how many people bought your product and exactly when (launch day? Steam sale? holidays?) in order to determine an effective and fair pricing structure.

Big Data is awful and the future of data is scary, but Big Bad Paradox (noted unethical company!) isn't collecting any data that is in any way unreasonable, and GDPR helps to ensure that the data they do collect is handled responsibly, and helps to ensure that you have full control over your data should you ever wish to go off the grid.
Completely anonymized data about game play to improve said game is fine. Linking that to a person/profile is not.
Now technically this is nothing new, we've known they are gathering game play data because they show statistics. But now with the new laws they had to say what exactly they gather and it seems like there's a lot of data they shouldn't really need to figure out what to improve on their game.

We don't know what they store and how they store, all we know is that we have to agree that they are allowed to collect a lot of poo poo about us to play the game we paid for.

From a reddit post we know they say the only thing they share with anyone (google/facebook etc) is ad related so they can have targeted ads on their website.

To improve HoI you need to know which nation was played, which focus was picked, how the wars went etc. You don't need to know where I live or anything else like that. Game related anonymized data is fine, anything else isn't.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Drone posted:

You can completely opt out of Facebook using your personal information too, the price being that you then have to stop using Facebook. You can opt out of Valve collecting your personal information via Steam, the implication being that you can then no longer use Steam.
Part of GDPR is that a service provider isn't allowed to demand more access than required to provide a service. Since Paradox games can function perfectly fine without any data being sent to Paradox, the user should be able to opt out of that data collection without losing any game functionality. The service that you can gate behind a demand for access to gaming habits is the service of "Paradox takes your gaming habits into consideration for future content". I don't think trying to just mash games and other "services*" into a complete package, as a way to force access where it's not needed, is gonna fly if anyone actually tests this in court - given the implications of letting companies do "package deals" like that.

*Calling Paradox doing market research on you a service is pretty ridiculous.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's been years and I can't find the posts any more but I distinctly remember that when Johan listed the data EU4 phoned home it included your steam ID and a bunch of play data (mods installed, start year, SP/MP, etc).

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm finding it difficult to step into Paradox games, even though I really enjoy them.

I'd like to play either EU4, CK2, HoI4 or Stellaris but for all of them I'm blocked in my mind because either they have interesting looking DLC coming, or, for Stellaris, a new good patch.

What is a good time to step into one of these games? Convince me! Paralyzed by "if I just wait a month it will be even better"

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The answer is that Paradox games will always and forever have that awesome DLC/patch on the horizon, so the best time to play is right now or else you will wait literally forever. Enjoy it how it is today, enjoy it even more next month, and so on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Crazycryodude posted:

The answer is that Paradox games will always and forever have that awesome DLC/patch on the horizon, so the best time to play is right now or else you will wait literally forever. Enjoy it how it is today, enjoy it even more next month, and so on.

Um. You can just wait until they finish the dlc and wrap up on a game to play. Depending on the game, you'll have years or decades (vicky lol) before a sequel is announced to play in uninterrupted bliss.

Duh.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I love how huge and gamechanging some of the stuff in recent patches has been (sorry non Asia players but these map changes are something I've been wanting forever) but it loving sucks having a 6 month gap before each of the last 2 properly big patches / DLCs (CoC and MoH) and presumably the same for Dharma as well (I'm expecting it to hit somewhere between end of August / mid Sept)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Um. You can just wait until they finish the dlc and wrap up on a game to play. Depending on the game, you'll have years or decades (vicky lol) before a sequel is announced to play in uninterrupted bliss.

Duh.

Have we actually hit the "end" of a game cycle since they really went all in on their DLC policy? Like I think CK2 was the first one where they switched to incremental DLC updates rather than a couple of big expansions, and technically that's still going (even though they have said that the next one will be the last)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fintilgin posted:

Duh.

:psyduck: CK2 came out in 2012. And they are only just starting to reach the end of their DLC cycle around now. That's more than six years that you could've been enjoying playing CK2 that you might have spent... not.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Preeeety sure that post is sarcasm

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
If you're one of those weirdos still playing Darkest Hour Kaiserreich, I got off my rear end and put 95% of the tech teams I researched up in the Paradoxplaza KR thread.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Corvinus posted:

If you're one of those weirdos still playing Darkest Hour Kaiserreich, I got off my rear end and put 95% of the tech teams I researched up in the Paradoxplaza KR thread.

Does that mean I finally don't have to turn on "take over tech teams" anymore if I wanna blob with a small country that only gets level 1 and 2 teams?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Does that mean I finally don't have to turn on "take over tech teams" anymore if I wanna blob with a small country that only gets level 1 and 2 teams?

The real tiny/backwards countries are still up poo poo creek, but if you want a small, Most Improved country, try South Africa or even Poland. Runners up may include Netherlands, Finland, Romania, Brazil or Argentina.

Edit: Wild card: Manchuria has a reasonable starting TT list but you'll still have to edit in Qing/RoC teams if you go conquering that direction.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 7, 2018

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

What's a good beginner nation to play in Victoria 2? I have all the expansions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Montenegro