Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mans posted:

I'm revising DMC 1 and it's still decent even though it's clearly more resident evil than devil may cry.

Also, how many Nightmares bosses are there cause i keep beating this pile of goo every two levels.

honestly the main reason not to revisit dmc 1 is the dogshit camera

you fight nightmare three times and the third time is in a cramped area where the camera is determined to not let you see anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah the camera is the main thing which stops DMC 1 from being amazing. Too many times I got hit by attacks I just couldn't even see coming which is a real joy kill when you've got an S rank combo going. The platforming and swimming suck too, mostly because of the camera.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I still find myself going back to DMC1 every so often, because of the atmosphere, and some of the "crunchy", albeit simplistic gameplay (at least compared to what came after). I can sorta forgive some of the camera issues due to the RE influence - although they are a problem.

The swimming isn't great in DMC1, but at least it's short.

The swimming in DMC2 is abysmal, and has you deal with one of the worst bosses in the game - that loving fish - because the camera angles are terrible, the swimming controls are stiff, the fish can break your lock-on and turn invisible, and just ram you from off screen with no way to dodge because it's DMC2.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 27, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I miss the excessively animated menu from dmc1. I don't think it's been done since. They put a lot of time in it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
on one hand it was cool, but it also made switching guns a pain

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

DMC2 is such a huge step down from 1 that it is blowing my mind. The monsters and bosses somehow manage to be completely non threatening but annoying at the same time. There is a zombie helicopter that hits you if you try to hit it with your sword and your recourse is to press the square button 1200 times while it shoots machine guns and rockets into the floor behind you. This is the boss of a level that had a room with 3 tanks that took like 3 minutes to kill each and were also incapable of damaging me as far as I could tell.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kobogartimer posted:

DMC2 is such a huge step down from 1 that it is blowing my mind. The monsters and bosses somehow manage to be completely non threatening but annoying at the same time. There is a zombie helicopter that hits you if you try to hit it with your sword and your recourse is to press the square button 1200 times while it shoots machine guns and rockets into the floor behind you. This is the boss of a level that had a room with 3 tanks that took like 3 minutes to kill each and were also incapable of damaging me as far as I could tell.

Apparently before Itsuno was brought onto the project for the last 4 months, the only thing the developers had working was Dante's stinger attack. So everything else in the game, including Lucia's campaign was done in those 4 months he took the helm.

Which is impressive, but also sad that the game was that troubled in development.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Kobogartimer posted:

Haha I just saw an amazing LP of how bad that was yesterday

https://youtu.be/gxfINOi2Is0
Let's Play Devil May Cry 2 HD (#3) - All Downhill

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Dante should steal a Resident Evil as revenge for being forced into turning a generic undead shooter into DMC 2. It is never not funny that the only salvageable thing in 2 was that it created the fire works combo that was fun as poo poo to pull off in 3.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Pesky Splinter posted:

The swimming in DMC2 is abysmal, and has you deal with one of the worst bosses in the game - that loving fish - because the camera angles are terrible, the swimming controls are stiff, the fish can break your lock-on and turn invisible, and just ram you from off screen with no way to dodge because it's DMC2.
On DMD, the fish never turns visible (as far as I remember), so you can't lock on and have to swim around blindly swinging your swords hoping to get enough hits before you die. That's where I quit DMC2 forever.

Crabtree posted:

Dante should steal a Resident Evil as revenge for being forced into turning a generic undead shooter into DMC 2. It is never not funny that the only salvageable thing in 2 was that it created the fire works combo that was fun as poo poo to pull off in 3.
I don't want to defend DMC2 too much because it was a loving chore to play and a tremendous letdown, but it also had twosome time, rainstorm, a very basic aerial combo, wall-running, a dodge button (which was then replaced with the Style button), hot-swapping devil arms and firearms and, most of all, Diesel-brand-ascot-wearing Dante.

Edit: DMC2 didn't even have loving Devil Arms!

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 28, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

Haha I just saw an amazing LP of how bad that was yesterday

https://youtu.be/gxfINOi2Is0
Let's Play Devil May Cry 2 HD (#3) - All Downhill

wow I had just started watching that one, that guy has great DMC LPs so I'm looking forward to seeing how bad DMC2 is since I never got that far in it

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

CordlessPen posted:

I don't want to defend DMC2 too much because it was a loving chore to play and a tremendous letdown, but it also had twosome time, rainstorm, a very basic aerial combo, wall-running, a dodge button (which was then replaced with the Style button), hot-swapping devil arms and firearms and, most of all, Diesel-brand-ascot-wearing Dante.

It also had the Bloody Palace! And mission select (which DMC1 sorely needed). It's such a shame about... well, everything else in that game.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Oh, right! I almost always forget about the Bloody Palace because while it did have that (and, to be honest, a pretty OK version of it), those square, uninspired rooms replaced the secret missions in the main game and I end up conflating the 2.

Also yes, mission select was infinitely welcome to the series.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The only good thing from 2 was the different demon forms you acquired. Was 2 the one where if you devil triggered at low health you would be the full demon version or did that start in 1?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ulio posted:

The only good thing from 2 was the different demon forms you acquired. Was 2 the one where if you devil triggered at low health you would be the full demon version or did that start in 1?

Oh, you're right, that was pretty cool, and it is limited to DMC2. That and the semi-customizable DT were interesting ideas that never really came back (although I think the DMC3 demon forms were different depending on your devil arm? I know they were visually different...)

The desperation DT was a neat idea, but in my opinion it was way overpowered. I remember getting through some really annoying fights on DMD with the awesome tactic of "wait until you have low health, DT and mash the attack button".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Desperation mode could probably be acceptable on very high difficulties as somewhat justified, but not entirely too powerful to make it easy.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Crabtree posted:

Desperation mode could probably be acceptable on very high difficulties as somewhat justified, but not entirely too powerful to make it easy.

Getting that low HP would tank your score anyway, so it's not like it would matter once you start trying to play skilfully anyway. So it being to powerful wouldn't really matter, let "bad" players have their cool moments too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Could buy you the extra time you need to figure poo poo out more. Like more of a buffer for learning so when you try again maybe you won't hit that desperation state, while also making you feel dope as hell while you hash through it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Perfection.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Holy poo poo :eyepop:
---

Someone has uploaded some of those DMC4 pachinko exclusive scenes. Some stuff is clear recycling of DMC3 cutscenes, but it does have some unique stuff - and dialogues - I'm surprised they didn't bother to stick some of those in the Special Edition as a bonus - they had the data for them.

And yet more pachinko scenes.

loving pachinko getting all the good poo poo - they do this for slot machines, but bugger all else.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 29, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fantastic :allears:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
those sure are some big red lips

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I noticed that too. :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish battle of brothers wasn't used on arkham, a boss i have negative fun fighting

at least tomorrow i'll hopefully have enough energy to fight vergil 3 cause i was loving exhausted by the time i reached him

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm pretty sure I listened to Devil Trigger for several hours now, goddamn Devil May Cry brings me such joy

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Compendium posted:

I'm pretty sure I listened to Devil Trigger for several hours now, goddamn Devil May Cry brings me such joy

its such a good workout song too

embrace this darkness thats wiiiiithiiiin meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My DMC history is getting into the game through a friend, buying DMC3 and being bad at it, but really enjoying the gameplay nonetheless and enjoying the fact that I could just play Dante shirtless after beating the it

I'm pretty sure I did not get past DMC1's first boss, I am that bad, but if I was able and had more time, I'd definitely give it a shot again

Fill your dark soul with SPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE wait

mawlok
Apr 2, 2017

I知 playing through the HD collection on steam, finished 1 gave up on 2 just over half way through and am now dealing with the slowdown issues with the port of 3. Yet I知 still loving every second of it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got HD collection on steam and DMC4SE. Really excited to replay one of the best action series ever. I also have DmC. Will probably play them all slowly till next year and try finish all difficulties.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mawlok posted:

I知 playing through the HD collection on steam, finished 1 gave up on 2 just over half way through and am now dealing with the slowdown issues with the port of 3. Yet I知 still loving every second of it.

that sounds weird, dmc3hd shouldn't be slowing down unless it's for some reason having performance issues, it's not like the old port that just kind of did it regardless of anything. i had some weird slowdown with dmc2hd once that i actually fixed by alt tabbing, so maybe it has a similar thing you could try to fix it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 1, 2018

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

mawlok posted:

Leaving the Steam overlay enabled has been screwing things up for me lately, so that's my troubleshooting contribution.

mawlok
Apr 2, 2017

Thanks I値l try all of the above

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

It just doesn't stop growing :allears:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

For the DMC collection on steam is there any big bugs for DMC1? I heard that is the only one with issues.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

No it's fine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ulio posted:

For the DMC collection on steam is there any big bugs for DMC1? I heard that is the only one with issues.

all dmc1 has is the same graphical issues present in the console versions

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, but hopefully whoever extends the gif further redraws Morrison so that he's not a racist caricature?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It looks like there's only 25% left to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I tried playing DMC1 today and forgot how much of a pain in the rear end it is to keep your rank up in combat and get an S at the end of the missions. May just be using this purchase for DMC3/Style Switcher mod.