Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm down for some Pizza Pizza Grilled Pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A buncha months ago there was a bit of discussion regarding FF12 Zodiac Age and I wrote down a couple things for when I bought the game (posts by Saint Freak and Harrow iirc). I got it during this sale and after being warned not to overthink party composition (and immediately spending a couple of hours overthinking and researching party composition) I settled down on one and... I think I hosed up?

I was going for Shikari/Foebreaker for Vaan (picked Shikari so far) and Red Battlemage/Archer for Penelo, but for some reason I picked Archer as her first class, which in hindsight may have been a dumb move? I think I have a save from not too long ago right before I picked her up; is it worth it going back and making her a RDM as her first class, or it doesn't matter?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this ad is actually true for me. super robot wars all day erryday

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It doesn't matter what order you pick jobs in other than it's going to be several hours before you get to pick the second ones.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

super robot wars all day erryday

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taintrunner posted:

this ad is actually true for me. super robot wars all day erryday

I was thinking this was a Crew 2 sign

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

Oblivion reaction: drat I've been systematically killing all the leaders of the Dark Brotherhood? I did not see that coming! :aaaaa:

yeah the dark brotherhood questline rules

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goddamn i love the playstation vita. a perfect system

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was thinking of buying RE2 on Vita today to replay it since the PS4 still doesn't have PS1 games for some reason

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I had my first day at my new job today, it went well and I think I'm going to like it there. It's my first job since I took some time out to care for my mother though and wow I knew I wasn't going to have much free time any more but I forgot how much I wasn't going to have. I'll be lucky to squeeze in an hour of playing games today, what the hell.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Saint Freak posted:

It doesn't matter what order you pick jobs in other than it's going to be several hours before you get to pick the second ones.

Yeah, I'm just a bit paranoid I'm gonna regret not having spells until I get the next set of party members.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The game isn’t hard enough at the beginning to warrant worry!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I'm just a bit paranoid I'm gonna regret not having spells until I get the next set of party members.

You won't. The first-rank spells are garbage in Zodiac Age. Cure is strictly worse than a Potion, for example.

The only potential thing is that you'll get Cura just before the dungeon where you unlock second jobs, but that stretch of the game isn't nearly tough enough that you can't just get by with Potions and Hi-Potions. You won't have second-rank black magic until after you get second jobs, and that's where black magic actually becomes good, so that's right on time.

If you're really worried, pick White Mage first for whoever you want to have White Mage as one of their jobs, but don't worry about it if you don't.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 2, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Edmond Dantes posted:

Offensive spells aren't really going to make or break early game. More Curas is always nice when you get it, but both Archer and Red get that so that's an either/or. Archer gets innate attacks against flying stuff and all the swiftness though so that would probably be my pick.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why are there so many people with samus avatars all of a sudden?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

haveblue posted:

It's fine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot that Archer gets Cura. It's locked behind their cheapest Quickening license so you shouldn't have any problem grabbing the Cura license right around the time you can actually buy the spell.

Archer also has a fantastic selection of item lore licenses, which make items more powerful when the Archer uses them. Shikari gets good item lore support, too, if I remember correctly. A character with a Potion Lore license or two flinging Hi-Potions around is a very capable healer for a good portion of the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

sgdq chat thread was a good time and I'm sad i missed it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

one of my friends told me Kojima has a wife and kid and i just can't believe it, he presents himself online as like the ultimate bachelor who just spends all his time watching movies

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that Archer gets Cura. It's locked behind their cheapest Quickening license so you shouldn't have any problem grabbing the Cura license right around the time you can actually buy the spell.

Yeah, it manages to pair up with opening something on the Red board too (Vox, Poisona) so you shouldn't have to miss anything.

Edit: That said you literally can't get everything in the game anyways so

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Harrow posted:

If you're really worried, pick White Mage first for whoever you want to have White Mage as one of their jobs, but don't worry about it if you don't.

Saint Freak posted:

Offensive spells aren't really going to make or break early game. More Curas is always nice when you get it, but both Archer and Red get that so that's an either/or. Archer gets innate attacks against flying stuff and all the swiftness though so that would probably be my pick.

Alright, cheers. I'll be a bit more careful when picking first class for the other characters; I'm doing

Balthier: Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran: Machinist/White Mage
Basch: Knight/Samurai
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk

So I'll probably go for WHM/BLM as soon as I get Fran and Ashe and I'll see about the rest later.

Thanks again!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, cheers. I'll be a bit more careful when picking first class for the other characters; I'm doing

Balthier: Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran: Machinist/White Mage
Basch: Knight/Samurai
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk

So I'll probably go for WHM/BLM as soon as I get Fran and Ashe and I'll see about the rest later.

Thanks again!

Extremely similar to my own setup. I swapped Foebreaker and White Mage around compared to you but both approaches are great (I had Balthier as a Shikari/White Mage and Fran as a Machinist/Foebreaker).

Basch and Ashe are going to loving destroy everything they set their eyes on so you really shouldn't worry about anything at all. Knight/Samurai is ridiculously good single-target damage, and Black Mage is straight-up overpowered no matter what subjob it has, and Monk just happens to be the subjob that gives it titanic HP and maxed out speed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:whatfor:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a very exclusive place, so hard to get in

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

okay folks we're gonna get this one sorted out once and for all

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it's not extremely controversial that myst sucks

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Not Myst???? How DARE they!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

it's not extremely controversial that myst sucks

it's not like mindblowing by modern standards but it's good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they excluded myst so they could include pyst

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

they excluded myst so they could include pyst
I've flipped through it and pyst isn't on the list anywhere its hosed up

also does anyone want to buy a mint condition september 1996 nextgen magazine. its very controversial

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uh it is clearly all wrinkled up

Also lol at the M2

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

Kept you cumming, huh

kept you ‘bating, huh??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh it is clearly all wrinkled up

Also lol at the M2
this one unfortunately got thrown away

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium posted:

kept you ‘bating, huh??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbcIjdq3YbA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Myst is really good and basically single-handedly responsible for the explosion of PC games to CD-ROM. Riven is the real masterpiece of the series though and I think inarguably one of the greatest point and click adventure games ever made.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

one of my friends told me Kojima has a wife and kid and i just can't believe it, he presents himself online as like the ultimate bachelor who just spends all his time watching movies

Rose asking Jack what day it was was based on him forgetting he had a date night with his wife one time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its no police quest

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I was thinking of buying RE2 on Vita today to replay it since the PS4 still doesn't have PS1 games for some reason

Do it, game still holds up! Especially the soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cool kids know Last Express is cooler than Myst
Imagine I said this in a cool voice and did a cool thing, I don't know how to be cool I'm sorry dad.

• Locked thread