Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Expert gets you 90 Mendacity each time you run it. 40 for the roulette itself, plus 50 for the dungeon it send you into. Five days of half-assed effort and you've got them capped for the week, which might matter if you want to use lower level classes for the other roulettes that give Mendacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I didn't absolutely love the changes to warrior in 4.0, did 4.1+ have notable changes to their general flow in combat?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shake it off is a utility skill now, partywide shield.

Inner releases on a shorter cooldown and became infinite rage with guaranteed crits so it's less about building up the meter and more just doing lots of high damage fell cleaves constantly.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 2, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

victrix posted:

I didn't absolutely love the changes to warrior in 4.0, did 4.1+ have notable changes to their general flow in combat?

Well, Inner Release/Berserk is totally different now and made it..generally simpler I guess you'd say?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a solid simple and tough tank that makes the numbers embiggened and that's fun to me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Inner releases on a shorter cooldown and became infinite rage with guaranteed crits so it's less about building up the meter and more just doing lots of high damage fell cleaves constantly.

Sold :v:

(it was kinda that before but it was a ton of fiddly mashing just to get to the cleave spam part, if that's easier now, yay)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

victrix posted:

Sold :v:

(it was kinda that before but it was a ton of fiddly mashing just to get to the cleave spam part, if that's easier now, yay)

If you're offtank now you just do your one storm combo that gives the enemy a debuff and buffs your attack and hit the angry button and be doing 6 15k+ fell cleaves as an opener, its rad.

Berserk is gone from your toolkit when you unlock inner release, release can be used in tank or attack stance, and the old ability of shake it off is activated when you're in release mode so you dont have to worry about the boss pushing you in or away so you miss cleaves.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 2, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

There is literally no reason to ever run 50/60DR. Literally no reason.

I like the dungeons

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have 8/9 WT stamps and I do have Aqua/Canals as one of the marks...

Who wants to do maps tonight!?!???

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

I kinda wish SE would backport the separation of tank stuff from DoW stuff into the original ARR stuff that doesn't have it, I keep seeing tanks wearing DoW items at lower levels and it's getting frustrating trying to heal someone in half outdated tank gear and half outdated DoW gear through the big pulls they keep doing even after I ask them not to in Stone Vigil. :sigh:

The thing that gets me is how the "recommended gear" button likes to replace your Lv. 30 Hardened Plate Mail with a Lv. 31 Aetherial Loose-Fitting Shirt which has like 1/3 of the defensive stats but gives you an extra +1 to Dexterity or whatever. Like, obviously, the solution is don't use the recommended button, but that's right at the sweet spot where people don't know any better but it does matter a lot.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The problem with the gear suggester thingy is that it optimizes for DPS. Which is fine for most classes, but it doesn't take things like "can you take a punch" into account, which is kind of important if you're a tank.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kitfox88 posted:

I kinda wish SE would backport the separation of tank stuff from DoW stuff into the original ARR stuff that doesn't have it, I keep seeing tanks wearing DoW items at lower levels and it's getting frustrating trying to heal someone in half outdated tank gear and half outdated DoW gear through the big pulls they keep doing even after I ask them not to in Stone Vigil. :sigh:

I had this in LDR yesterday, made matters worse because I was using AST for the first time in a long time and don't have the buttons memorized so I missed some heals when I was trying to DPS. I think the group hated me until the final boss when our tank went AFK in the middle of it and I managed to keep them all alive and beat the boss.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

victrix posted:

IR and Berserk are now the same button.
IR makes spenders free instead of halving their cost,
You don't need to fill your bar to max before going into IR burst phase anymore.
Shake became Divine Veil but easier to use and you can sac your own defensive cooldowns to make it stronger.
IR also nosells status effects like Holmgang.
Berserk/IR became 10 seconds instead of 15.
IR/Berserk no longer increases attack power at all, it's just "everything is a Direct Critical Hit for the duration". So long to bigger, fatter Equilibrium heals under Berserk.
Maim and Storm's Eye had their effects flipped around, Maim is slashing debuff now, Eye is the self buff.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I have now obtained every caster item from Swallows Compass entirely from greed rolls before ever once seeing the striking shirt drop. I think I have every other shirt too. I'm starting to think the loot RNG being weird and broken is an intentional thing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MechaCrash posted:

The problem with the gear suggester thingy is that it optimizes for DPS. Which is fine for most classes, but it doesn't take things like "can you take a punch" into account, which is kind of important if you're a tank.

Not particularly DPS, just main stats. The level 20 tank piece might have tons more defense but your level 25 caster robe from a quest has one more vitality so let's wear that!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

It's also fine for anything past 50. The problem is that those pre-50 folks, especially those on their first class, are the ones who actually need the advice!

Thundarr posted:

I have now obtained every caster item from Swallows Compass entirely from greed rolls before ever once seeing the striking shirt drop. I think I have every other shirt too. I'm starting to think the loot RNG being weird and broken is an intentional thing.

I think I might have picked up a whole one or two useful pieces of loot from the Lv. 70 dungeons, and even those got replaced by Omega/Creation gear pretty quickly. I have come to expect nothing from loot rolls, which I'm fine with as there are plenty of other ways to get loot. If you're trying to get it for glamour, well, "good luck" is all I can say.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Don't give up since it only took me 3 weeks to get the complete healer's set :sigh:

Next up is collecting the VA sets but 24 man suffering.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alder posted:

Don't give up since it only took me 3 weeks to get the complete healer's set :sigh:

Next up is collecting the VA sets but 24 man suffering.

Good news, the 350 craftables are VA but dyeable :v:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:yeah: My online friend drew this and is cool and good. Kinda awesome to see her art randomly getting posted in here.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

rujasu posted:

If you're trying to get it for glamour, well, "good luck" is all I can say.

Just for glam options so I'm kind of stuck with it. Though that reminds me, I forgot to get a drop from Ridorania this week an I'm sure Monday night runs are going to be garbage :v:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Monday night Ridorana runs are the most entertaining. The trick is to hate yourself, and then they're a blast!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
speakin of ridorana i did it as a blm yesterday

gently caress that poo poo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Kuvo posted:

speakin of ridorana i did it as a blm yesterday

gently caress that poo poo

:same:

I've mained blm since ARR and I think it's probably in one of the best states it's ever been and man am I tempted to drop it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What's the problem with lighthouse and blm mains?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What's the problem with lighthouse and blm mains?

Name one boss in Ridorana that allows you to stand still for more than a few seconds.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I don't know any of them, since I'm still in 3.x and slowly glaring my way through Ishgard's problems.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

After a number of runs, I've actually gotten to the point where I rather enjoy BLM in Ridorana. Famfrit isn't too bad if you can use Aetherial Manipulation with any accuracy (and surecast to ignore the knockback when he begins Tsunami phase). The fire dude whose name I can't remember hardly forces you to move at all, and you can just park near the corner of a square to slidecast between fast and slow clocks. Construct 7 doesn't ask much of you other than that you save Triple and Swiftcast for the spinning laser cone phase, and Yiazmat is only problematic near the end when he's just constantly trampling everywhere.

Yeah, there's a lot of movement, but the vast majority of it can be solved through holding onto Firestarter procs a little longer than you normally would and abusing your instant cast options.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The worst part about Ridorana is definitely Belias selecting you for chains every single time and watching your DPS plummet.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Vermain posted:

The worst part about Ridorana is definitely Belias selecting you for chains every single time and watching your DPS plummet.

this should only select healers (unless theyre dead and it overflows ofc) i believe

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

Your healers suck, then, because the chains prioritize healers before picking a different target.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I believe Vermain is a healer main and sad that his healer dps drops.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I believe Vermain is a healer main and sad that his healer dps drops.

That's a legitimate thing to be upset about

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I just never do Alliance raids as BLM. Hell, even trials and 8-man raids if I don't feel like putting in the extra effort.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rainuwastaken posted:

After a number of runs, I've actually gotten to the point where I rather enjoy BLM in Ridorana. Famfrit isn't too bad if you can use Aetherial Manipulation with any accuracy (and surecast to ignore the knockback when he begins Tsunami phase). The fire dude whose name I can't remember hardly forces you to move at all, and you can just park near the corner of a square to slidecast between fast and slow clocks. Construct 7 doesn't ask much of you other than that you save Triple and Swiftcast for the spinning laser cone phase, and Yiazmat is only problematic near the end when he's just constantly trampling everywhere.

Yeah, there's a lot of movement, but the vast majority of it can be solved through holding onto Firestarter procs a little longer than you normally would and abusing your instant cast options.

This is all correct (and not too bad after seeing the bosses a couple of times, like you said) but I think it's just more about how the class feels, and that I'm less into it. I've said before that I wish they would lean in on the selfish turret class aspect and give you more tools that make it so you don't have to move, but I don't see that actually happening.

Also for whatever reason, in my experience, pubbies with any kind of damage marker beeline to the blm regardless of where you choose to stand.

Argas posted:

I just never do Alliance raids as BLM. Hell, even trials and 8-man raids if I don't feel like putting in the extra effort.

This except it's literally any content under 70.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I don't know any of them, since I'm still in 3.x and slowly glaring my way through Ishgard's problems.

Well, the gist of it is that they all love their huge conal attacks or summoning adds to specific spots or unleashing a lethal attack that requires a lot of dodging to survive.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I've been using the Moogle rapier as my glamour and this has been just the best.

Cue intense music
Bad guy talks poo poo to npc or (lol) warrior of light
Catgirl Glare!
Brandish rapier in threatening manner
(WooWoo) a fuckin Moogle pops out of my offhand accompanied by a silly Moogle sound

Love it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Since the last time I played was 4.0 and I didn't finish the msq (level 68), is there a handy catchup guide for things I should be doing/seeing/not doing when I get up and running again?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

All I can really think of is "continue to follow the main story until you beat it." Doing the final dungeon of the Stormblood story takes an ilvl of 280, but you get a 290 weapon and set of armor for doing your level 70 class quest and ilvl 300 gear drops inside (although the pity drop system is not in effect since it's not technically a levelling dungeon). You can also buy 310 stuff with Centurio Seals from hunts, or buy 320 or 350 stuff from the market board. There are other options and upgrades, but they require tomestones you can't get in decent supply until you beat the game anyway.

For mandatory dungeons, 4.1 has the dungeon Drowned City of Skalla, which requires 300 and drops 315. 4.2 has no mandatory dungeons or trials but does have some solo combat stuff, and 4.3 has a trial with an ilvl requirement of 335. But that's assuming that "plow through MSQ, double back for optional stuff later" is your goal.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

victrix posted:

Since the last time I played was 4.0 and I didn't finish the msq (level 68), is there a handy catchup guide for things I should be doing/seeing/not doing when I get up and running again?

Also you can just ask in FC chat if someone will make you i350 gear or at least a 350 weapon and they'll probably do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What jobs are you going to use in HoH tomorrow?

I usually play RDM a lot, but I want to branch out to more complex jobs so I can have variety and leveled everything to 61 in anticipation of this. I'm gonna try either Bard or Dragoon first, I think.