Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Azathoth posted:

Given that the rising waters are being fed by rainfall and the cave is way inland, isn't that inherently going to mean fresh water?

I mean, I'm not great at geology or caveology or whatever, but are underground streams frequently saline?

ok you got me, i didn't read the article :shrug:

happy news that I DID read: they are alive :toot:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/world/asia/thailand-boys-rescued.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, that's what surprised me. I can imagine them drinking it out of desperation, but I don't think it'd be good enough for them to survive 9 days on it unless they found a fresher source. Whether that's supply drops or a fresher spring coming out above the floodwaters remains to be seen.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Apparently the real problem is that the cave freshwater might be polluted with chemical runoff from farms.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

glad she is dead posted:

Apparently the real problem is that the cave freshwater might be polluted with chemical runoff from farms.

fish poop in it :ohdear:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Caganer posted:

fish poop gently caress in it :ohdear:

E: wasn't the last "sound attack" found to be random illness and a just a poo poo ton of mass hysteria?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, sounds like actually getting them out will be difficult because none of them are trained divers and of course they're all quite weak by now. But fortunately knowing where they are and being able to reach them means medical personnel and supplies can go straight to them while options to bring them out are worked on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The real horror of the situation is that if the monsoons pick back up the water levels would inexorably rise and there's not much anyone could do to save them.

Where's Sting when you need him?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How did they get in?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

How did they get in?

Clipping error.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Scathach posted:

fish poo poo gently caress in it

well actually, fish cum would make me more likely to drink it

growing boys need milt

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Clipping error.

lol

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glad she is dead posted:

The real horror of the situation is that if the monsoons pick back up the water levels would inexorably rise and there's not much anyone could do to save them.

Where's Sting when you need him?

I appreciate this reference

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Clipping error.

lmao

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scathach posted:

E: wasn't the last "sound attack" found to be random illness and a just a poo poo ton of mass hysteria?
We don't know the actual mechanism yet, but I think mass hysteria is extremely unlikely, as the symptoms are real and persistent.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Scarodactyl posted:

We don't know the actual mechanism yet, but I think mass hysteria is extremely unlikely, as the symptoms are real and persistent.

the theory i liked was it was some attempt at RF spying gone wrong. like, you can try to make stuff vibrate w/ ultasonic waves to better pick up keystrokes/convos or some poo poo, and apparently it's plausible if you hosed up the setting on such a device it'd cause weird issues as described.\

or tldr never attribute to malice what can be explained. by stupidity.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Caganer posted:

the theory i liked was it was some attempt at RF spying gone wrong. like, you can try to make stuff vibrate w/ ultasonic waves to better pick up keystrokes/convos or some poo poo, and apparently it's plausible if you hosed up the setting on such a device it'd cause weird issues as described.\

If I remember the article correctly the theory said when you have multiple RF spy devices set up they have harmonic interactions. It kind of makes sense if you have a bunch of devices running the same frequencies they'll have additive waves that could lead to some really weird results. I still think it's deliberate.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

How did they get in?
Well, the passage the divers had to widen to reach them wasn't wide enough for a diver with a tank, but presumably a bunch of kids and an adult without a tank could get through it alright.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Breakfast Feud posted:

If I remember the article correctly the theory said when you have multiple RF spy devices set up they have harmonic interactions. It kind of makes sense if you have a bunch of devices running the same frequencies they'll have additive waves that could lead to some really weird results. I still think it's deliberate.

the thing i found interesting is it happened in cuba... then china.

that seemed odd and i could totally see russia loving with people to try to gum up diplomatic stuff. it probably worked the first time, the second they didn't care it was obvious because just like w/ the polonium they can whine theres no proof russophobia bloo bloo while winking to putin's authoritarian base that he like totally didn't do it wink wink nudge nudge.

that being said this is speculation, i don't like to fall down the rabbit hole of blaming everything on russian plots.

but accidental or on purpose but pretending to be accidental, i think either way it's like you said: weird rf harmonies that plausible can be said to be to spy and whoops we made the ambassadors eardrum explode

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think with how Russian tech is, the harmonic interactions weren't planned but once discovered they were weaponised.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Breakfast Feud posted:

I think with how Russian tech is, the harmonic interactions weren't planned but once discovered they were weaponised.

vladimir this is not a bug. it is a feature

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kitfox88 posted:

God, I saw these both a few years back and just the mental replays make me gag a little. That kitchen one is the worst.

The kitchen ones horrified me so much that despite all the gory pics I've seen and all the horror films I sit through, I take all the kitchen safety stuff serious even though I'm just a home cook.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The cave the Thai kids are in is in far northern Thailand, hundreds of kilometers from the ocean.

If they really couldn’t fit a diver with tank on back through the passage... I mean it’s a tight squeeze (by which I mean gently caress cave diving) but it’s technically doable to get the kids out through it. But then you’re still underwater in a dark cave with literal miles of passageways ahead. They have to do a lot to prepare the way if they’re gonna get them out like that.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Caganer posted:

This is my fall back position on every conspiracy theory.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is my fall back position on every conspiracy theory.

Going from what I learned in my history classes, it's either stupidity or gross stupidity.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

The cave the Thai kids are in is in far northern Thailand, hundreds of kilometers from the ocean.

If they really couldn’t fit a diver with tank on back through the passage... I mean it’s a tight squeeze (by which I mean gently caress cave diving) but it’s technically doable to get the kids out through it. But then you’re still underwater in a dark cave with literal miles of passageways ahead. They have to do a lot to prepare the way if they’re gonna get them out like that.
Yeah, it seems like the planning is now going to prepping the route and ensuring the kids and coach don't worsen in condition, from the articles I read. Like it's by no means over yet, but knowing where they are and being able to reach them and get supplies and medics to them does a lot to improve the chances that everyone walks away from this. It didn't sound like anyone is rushing in until they've prepared as well as they can.

The detail that messed me up is the people trapped didn't know how long they'd been in there when they were found. Like it makes perfect sense because they've been cut off from any day/night indicators but I can't imagine how badly that would gently caress you up, not knowing if it'd been a long time or if it'd been a few days and just felt longer because you were scared and starving... and then being found, and how relieved you'd be, but knowing you had to stay in there longer so that the way out could be prepared for you. gently caress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just build a city down there and start over. Like Little Limelight.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, it seems like the planning is now going to prepping the route and ensuring the kids and coach don't worsen in condition, from the articles I read. Like it's by no means over yet, but knowing where they are and being able to reach them and get supplies and medics to them does a lot to improve the chances that everyone walks away from this. It didn't sound like anyone is rushing in until they've prepared as well as they can.

The detail that messed me up is the people trapped didn't know how long they'd been in there when they were found. Like it makes perfect sense because they've been cut off from any day/night indicators but I can't imagine how badly that would gently caress you up, not knowing if it'd been a long time or if it'd been a few days and just felt longer because you were scared and starving... and then being found, and how relieved you'd be, but knowing you had to stay in there longer so that the way out could be prepared for you. gently caress.

My one friend in highschool had a side room in his basement that me and sometimes another person would stay in overnight and there were no windows or lights or anything and it was disorienting as gently caress since I didn’t even have a cell phone at the time. Literally no way to tell the time and I remember hallucinating one time that my friend Taylor who was asleep near me was going to kill me and we were on no substances whatsoever aside from me being tired. Total darkness and no reference of time will gently caress with your head even in a controlled setting so I can’t imagine those kids are in a good place mentally

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Aesop Poprock posted:

My one friend in highschool had a side room in his basement that me and sometimes another person would stay in overnight and there were no windows or lights or anything and it was disorienting as gently caress since I didn’t even have a cell phone at the time. Literally no way to tell the time and I remember hallucinating one time that my friend Taylor who was asleep near me was going to kill me and we were on no substances whatsoever aside from me being tired. Total darkness and no reference of time will gently caress with your head even in a controlled setting so I can’t imagine those kids are in a good place mentally
At least now hopefully they're not in total darkness, or won't be. And they should be able to communicate some with their families.

It's... not good for them mentally, of course. But dying is worse.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44692813?ns_linkname=news_central&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social

Jeffrey Dahmer has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Jul 3, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could they pipe fresh air into there?

Cave diving is horrendously dangerous even for experts, they're legitimately better off waiting it out unless they can at least give them a fully lit path to follow or something.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pull yourselves up by your own flipperstraps and get diver certified already, ya shiftless layabouts.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1014101675215392768

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Caganer posted:

the thing i found interesting is it happened in cuba... then china.

that seemed odd and i could totally see russia loving with people to try to gum up diplomatic stuff. it probably worked the first time, the second they didn't care it was obvious because just like w/ the polonium they can whine theres no proof russophobia bloo bloo while winking to putin's authoritarian base that he like totally didn't do it wink wink nudge nudge.

that being said this is speculation, i don't like to fall down the rabbit hole of blaming everything on russian plots.

but accidental or on purpose but pretending to be accidental, i think either way it's like you said: weird rf harmonies that plausible can be said to be to spy and whoops we made the ambassadors eardrum explode

I bet some contractor hosed up something mechanical in the embassies.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Unnerving: you’re the victim of a horrific assault. At a meeting with the SVU cop in charge of investigating your case, he basically blows off doing his job and, oh yeah, asks how much you’d charge to blow him.

quote:

Detective Large was assigned to her case but almost immediately—instead of investigating the crime—offered to pay Alyssa to perform oral sex or to let him watch her fight other women.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/armed-cops-forced-domestic-violence-victims-to-make-naked-catfight-sex-videos-lawsuit-claims?ref=home

He died earlier this year, but lawyers for people he abused are zeroing in on how much the department knew about what he was doing.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Pull yourselves up by your own flipperstraps and get diver certified already, ya shiftless layabouts.

It's not like they don't have any free time!

I'm wondering how far in they are from whatever entrance the divers are using. They can definitely set up something for air and shuttle in food/water if it's not terribly far and if the air system wouldn't obstruct the route in and out.

Then I wonder how much cave is left behind them and how much air is in there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's not like they don't have any free time!

I'm wondering how far in they are from whatever entrance the divers are using. They can definitely set up something for air and shuttle in food/water if it's not terribly far and if the air system wouldn't obstruct the route in and out.

Then I wonder how much cave is left behind them and how much air is in there.

They've been able to ferry in supplies, so I don't think there's currently a problem with keeping them fed and watered. The issue is that you have to get a bunch of children who can't swim (plus one idiot) through a flooded, pitch black passage that may be barely wide enough in some places for them to fit through.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s about 4 kilometres from the entrance, with long chunks of that flooded. Piping anything in would be a challenge.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That’s a long loving way just for walking and crawling through a cave. What the gently caress was the coach thinking first off, and how the hell do you even make that underwater?? Kudos to the coach for presumably keeping the kids together and alive but that sounds like a terrible idea even if the cave wasn’t flooded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They better change their team name to The Morlocks after this.