Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a male teacher in 4th grade, he was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pick posted:

who loving cares

but but but someone let five gallons of barley water fester in a slop bucket in their basement for a couple of months. It is truly irreplaceable (except with thousands of similar items that are sold in six packs for ten bucks).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Clark Nova posted:

but but but someone let five gallons of barley water fester in a slop bucket in their basement for a couple of months. It is truly irreplaceable (except with thousands of similar items that are sold in six packs for ten bucks).

I had an inherently one-of-a-kind cape buffalo mount that my dipshit friend ran into and knocked off the wall which hosed up my floor and my god damned wall and my god damned buffalo but I didn't even get mad because she obviously didn't do it on purpose and poo poo happens. fretting about poo poo all the time is exhausting. it's just stuff, it won't stop you from dying, probably in pain.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Pick posted:

I had an inherently one-of-a-kind cape buffalo mount that my dipshit friend ran into and knocked off the wall which hosed up my floor and my god damned wall and my god damned buffalo but I didn't even get mad because she obviously didn't do it on purpose and poo poo happens. fretting about poo poo all the time is exhausting. it's just stuff, it won't stop you from dying, probably in pain.

Fretting about stuff is better than being in some kind of boring relationship with no drama

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I [34M] only got my wife [30F] one little thing for her 30th birthday. I dunno if I hosed up. Of 5 birthdays with each other, this is the first one like this.Relationships (self.relationships)

quote:

Howdy! Here’s the Backstory first! I recently lost my job and have been working my rear end off looking for a new one with similar pay, with not much success. I did find a decent one in outside sales, but she didn’t support it bc she thought it was a scam. Sales is tough and she wants to know what to expect for each pay check. Which is understandable, yet I digress. My monthly contributions to our bills has remained the same, but I can’t afford my whole portion of the mortgage. She’s been amazing and able to pick up that slack.

My birthday comes around in May, and she says she’s not getting my anything bc of the mortgage slack. Ok, it’s my 34th birthday, “nothing special.” Right?

Skip ahead 2 months to her 30th, I get her a little something she’s been asking for, even though we already have one that works just fine. And that was it.

Now I feel like she’s pissed at me for not getting her anything big. She’s short with me, a little cold and when I mention that I got literally nothing from her on MY birthday, she responds with “yours wasn’t anything special, this my 30th!”

Did I gently caress this birthday up? When we get back home tonight from work, I’ll ask and chat with her... but until then, any suggestions to make sure I didn’t gently caress this up? Maybe I’m just in my head and she’s fine?

TLDR; wife didn’t get me anything for my birthday, I barely got her something and now she’s acting like I don’t care about her turning 30.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Odd posted:

Fretting about stuff is better than being in some kind of boring relationship with no drama

esp. drama of the slapping variety. if you haven't been hit in the face by your partner, HAVE YOU EVEN REALLY LIVED??

Caganer posted:

I [34M] only got my wife [30F] one little thing for her 30th birthday. I dunno if I hosed up. Of 5 birthdays with each other, this is the first one like this.Relationships (self.relationships)

I would much rather make a big deal about my 34th birthday than my 30th. I just turned 30 and it was pretty sad to say goodbye to the good times of my twenties. When I found out everyone at work knew it was my birthday I was like gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I had I really excellent male elementary school teacher for a few years in a row. He was an absolute weirdo, no question -- still lived with his parents at age 50, slept in his childhood bedroom, never married, never any girlfriend (or boyfriend), wore a bowler hat and spats every day and carried a pocket watch, and his favorite thing to do other than teach was to reenact Napoleonic War battles in his back yard with toy soldiers. He used to tell us that he was not born, but had emerged fully formed and dressed from a manhole on our town's main street. He had been a teacher for more than 30 years, extremely dedicated to his work, particularly good at teaching 8 to 12 year olds, and, despite many parents giving him a real close look for just being so bizarre, there was never a peep of any sort of impropriety.

I think he was entirely asexual and basically just never grew up.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Caganer posted:

I broke up with my Boyfriend because he called me a oval office. Was I wrong? (self.relationship_advice)

some people might think being called a oval office and told your partner doesn't care about you is probably minor in the grand scheme of things, but they are wrong and you did good reddit lady

Lol, there's a few dudes in the comments who are saying that it's okay to call her those things because she emasculated him by telling him how to do yard york.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The only gift I want for my 30th birthday is for the gem in my hand to start blinking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Lol, there's a few dudes in the comments who are saying that it's okay to call her those things because she emasculated him by telling him how to do yard york.

He emasculated himself by not knowing how to run a string trimmer or put gas in a lawn mower

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sagebrush posted:

I had I really excellent male elementary school teacher for a few years in a row. He was an absolute weirdo, no question -- still lived with his parents at age 50, slept in his childhood bedroom, never married, never any girlfriend (or boyfriend), wore a bowler hat and spats every day and carried a pocket watch, and his favorite thing to do other than teach was to reenact Napoleonic War battles in his back yard with toy soldiers. He used to tell us that he was not born, but had emerged fully formed and dressed from a manhole on our town's main street. He had been a teacher for more than 30 years, extremely dedicated to his work, particularly good at teaching 8 to 12 year olds, and, despite many parents giving him a real close look for just being so bizarre, there was never a peep of any sort of impropriety.

New Doctor Who looking good.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

or maybe he had some childhood trauma and decided he wants to make sure other kids have good, happy experiences :smith:

Is it a red flag that my fiancé doesn't agree with the idea of a prenup ? (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

Me and my fiancé have been together for 6 years. We are getting married in 3 months. We are great together but i don't wanna get too comfortable and i don't wanna trust her too much so I talked to her about getting a prenuptial agreement. I wanna protect my prized possessions and my hard earned money and I wanna protect my dead fathers hard earned money and assets. I have a house that I own and I wanna protect that as well so that way in case of a divorce I won't have any problems and concerns. You never know what the future reserves. That's why it is always important to be prepared. As much as I love her, I don't wanna get too comfy because nowadays divorce happens a lot and often times, they are ugly and can devastate you financially. My fiancé is mad at me because I want the prenup and I think it is a red flag. My family always told me that It is never a great idea to get married without some sort of protection. What do you think ?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I believe in prenups for protecting inherited assets but aside from that, if you're in a partnership, act like you loving mean it.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Pick posted:

No, I had some excellent male elementary school teachers who were 0% creepy and are appropriately considered valuable members of the community.

Look, I have lots of bad opinions. I’m sure this is one of the least offensive among them.

I never had, or knew of, a male elementary school teacher. I appreciate everyone sharing their personal experiences with male elementary school teachers. I will re think that particular bad opinion.

My best and favorite teacher in high school was a man. I think male students would benefit tremendously from having more male teachers (oh boy here we go again).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's ok, I didn't take it personally :shrug:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Caganer posted:

Maybe - I’m just spitballing, here - maybe what she’s really upset about is you being an out-of-work leech who is contributing nothing to the household. I kind of need to know what the “scam” outside sales job was to know how harshly to judge you.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Maybe - I’m just spitballing, here - maybe what she’s really upset about is you being an out-of-work leech who is contributing nothing to the household. I kind of need to know what the “scam” outside sales job was to know how harshly to judge you.
It can be hard to find a job sometimes, but I wonder if the thing that's killing his search is that he insists on finding a job with similar pay. That's going to take time if he had a good job beforehand, he should probably be willing to get some lovely retail job in the meantime while he keeps searching.

EDIT: That said he's still paying for his share of some of the bills, so it's not fair to say he's contributing nothing. And either way it's not okay for it to be this passive-aggressive thing, money he spends on a gift for her right now won't be able to be put towards the bills. Communication is important and going off on someone while not actually saying what you're upset about is bullshit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite high school teacher was a man and I chose the graduate school I went to specifically because of the really incredible woman who would be my thesis advisor.

I also had a female elementary school teacher who told me I was retarded and a male high school teacher who was an enormous rear end in a top hat to every student and went to jail in my senior year after attacking his wife with a hammer.

It's almost like gender doesn't actually have any bearing on the quality of one's teaching

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I had a female middle(?) school teacher who openly admitted to hating me when I wasn't around and then my bullies immediately made sure I found that out in the harshest way possible.

I had liked her, too. :(

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick posted:

I believe in prenups for protecting inherited assets but aside from that, if you're in a partnership, act like you loving mean it.

as a practical matter prenups that hold up in court tend to arrange assets in a mutually beneficial but still equal way - for example useless dude gets all the assets BUT the farm, which is approximately equal in value

if you don't have assets about equal to the inherited assets, you will probably either see the prenup invalidated, or see yourself indirectly forced to sell them to pay alimony

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

yeah it's really vague. that could be the case

or it could be the case he has a partner who entered the relationship thinking he'd be the "provider" and is supremely pissed the gender roles have been flipped:

quote:

Promised to get her paid back on the slack. I’m working more irregular hours for less money.

Gifts haven’t been super important. I’ve over gifted her in the past.

So maybe that’s set her expectations for me to fail them this year?

sounds like he was buyng expensive gifts and making lots of money, and that now he isn't so partner is mad.

PetraCore posted:

It can be hard to find a job sometimes, but I wonder if the thing that's killing his search is that he insists on finding a job with similar pay. That's going to take time if he had a good job beforehand, he should probably be willing to get some lovely retail job in the meantime while he keeps searching.

EDIT: That said he's still paying for his share of some of the bills, so it's not fair to say he's contributing nothing. And either way it's not okay for it to be this passive-aggressive thing, money he spends on a gift for her right now won't be able to be put towards the bills. Communication is important and going off on someone while not actually saying what you're upset about is bullshit.

he's said that he makes less money doing irregular hours, and tries to make up for this by helping out with choses during his free time...

quote:

Definitely not MLM. Just bad ethics for a “Christian” company. I was scheduled for appointments to which the customer was under the impression that I was there just to install something for free, which was never the case.

quote:

Since I’m home during the day, I now have a running honey do list. Anything from her hobbies to general clean up. The house has been cleaner since! Definitely trying to hold up my end of the domestic arrangement.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bored posted:

She used her own yeast!

Upcycling yeast, I like it. Got an app hot and steamy for your yeasty needs: Yeastr, ready to brew when you are!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh and my 8th grade math teacher was just, like, ridiculously smoking hot, I mean pretty good at math I guess but, holy poo poo,

I looked her up on Facebook a couple years ago, 20 years on, and let me tell you: YEP

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

Upcycling yeast, I like it. Got an app hot and steamy for your yeasty needs: Yeastr, ready to brew when you are!

Rogue Brewery makes a beer where the yeast was harvested from the Brewmaster's beard.

Go look it up if you like, I'm done

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

I’m just throwing things out there, again, but that mortgage is, mmmm... 3x all the rest of the bills combined.

It’s entirely possible that he is really busting his rear end to find work, and contributing significantly to their household, but there are a few clues in his post that make me suspect otherwise. The biggest one is “recently lost my job” followed by “My birthday comes around in May.” He has been out of work since at least April, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it were longer than that.

Next is, “... outside sales,” “she wants to know what to expect for each paycheck,” and, “scam.” There’s no way this dude works in sales, at least not successfully, or his wife wouldn’t object based on the fluctuations inherent in the job. He’s also being generally cagey with the generic description, and making no attempt to refute his wife’s claim that the job was a scam, probably because it was.

Finally, “My monthly contribution to our bills.” This very specifically does not say that he’s paying half of the bills, or three-quarters of the bills, just that his “contribution” has remained the same. Maybe he was a lovely salesman, and his wife earns 4x what he does, and his contribution was 20% of the bills + 20% of the mortgage, and now shee’s stuck with 80/100.

There’s a lot of weaselly phraseology in that post. It’s subtle, but it’s there. None of it is terminal, and he may have explained it away in the comments.

You’re right that she shouldn’t be passive-aggressive if she has issues that need to be addressed, but that could be a sign of frustration. We almost never get both sides of the story in here.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 3, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

enigmatikone posted:

Stephanie Seymour

Oops, duh. Yeah, I did know that. Brain fart.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Caganer posted:

i was used to women who are insanely passive agressive and just pick some random small rule and punish you severely because you annoyed them,

So you could say you've had a difficult time pleasing women from a young age, huh?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

tactlessbastard posted:

So you could say you've had a difficult time pleasing women from a young age, huh?

i mean, the person i was referencing also flipped out because she slapped me and i hit her back so i didn't really give a poo poo about her opinions :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tactlessbastard posted:

Oh great, you've just condemned another generation of women to the drudgery of education.

Last I heard there's a serious, genuine problem with a lack of male teachers due to the pedophilia suspicion and also likely the idea that teaching is women's work (and low-paid drudgery).

ed: Of course I was beaten to the belated conversation. I was actually suggested to go into teaching, which probably shows how desperate they are, but given my awful social skills with adults it's probably a good thing I got a useless BA instead.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 3, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sagebrush posted:

omg uncle toby is real :swoon:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

It wasn’t just about the beer

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Why didn't he just label the loving beer?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Don't get emotionally invested in anything that will eventually become pee/poop.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
My (30F) husband (40M) of 5 years, we have a very stupid and gross bathroom problem

quote:

My husband poops on the back of the toilet seat. I don't even know how it's possible, but he does. Just a tiny little hint of a turd on the back of the seat.

Once when it was particularly egregious I sent hm a picture and asked him to please be more careful. He was, for a few days.

We're sharing a house with friends right now, and he's still doing it. I am so loving disgusted and embarrassed. I need help figuring out the right words to say to him to communicate that (1) this can NEVER, EVER, EVER happen in public and also (2) it actually also shouldn't happen in our house either.

Help!!?!??!?!?!??!?

tl;dr: husband poops on toilet seat, asked him not to once, how do I ask him in a way that makes him never do it again!?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I agree, btw.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Grem posted:

Can someone post the story of that dude that just broke up with his girl all strong willed and poo poo when she was going to take a trip. The Todd (I think?) story.

Found it:

quote:

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [30 M] of 6 months - we broke up after I booked tickets to go on a trip with an ex from ancient history, who is more of a best-friend.Relationships 

Did I screw up? 

So, I (f/25) have been seeing my boyfriend, Pete (m/30) for 6 months and its been wonderful. I really thought I'd found "the one" with him, but after last night I feel my world has collapsed and am not sure I've made the right decisions or if I was right. My heart feels like its been pulled out of my chest and I can't sleep. I'd never felt like this about anyone before. 

My good friend, who we'll call Dave, was my boyfriend from the age of 18 to 21, after which we broke up because we wanted different things in life. We stayed good friends though because we had a great friendship and had been through so much together. He lives in a different country at the moment but we still talk semi-regularly online and in Whatsapp. Pete knew that Dave was a friend of mine but didn't know he was an ex until about 2 weeks ago, when Dave asked me to visit him in Amsterdam while he's on a work trip (I live in the UK, he lives in Italy). I had already agreed and booked a ticket before I told Pete - they were on sale for a ridiculously low price on the dates that he would be there, so I jumped at the opportunity. 

Pete seemed cool with it at first but after a few days asked me if there was any history between us. I was honest and told him there was. He didn't seem too bothered and eventually asked if I thought visiting an ex in another country was appropriate whilst in a relationship. I explained to him how Dave and my relationship wasn't like that and that we were strictly platonic. He didn't seem to really react, he just gave me a look that was...sarcastic, I suppose, would be the best way to describe it. I then told him that I wouldn't be controlled and hated men that thought they owned me and could tell me what to do. I told him I was free to see who I wanted and that I found his lack of trust in me upsetting, disrespectful and, perhaps, a sign of future abusiveness. I now realise that this may have been a bad thing to say. Again, he didn't really react so I thought that was the end of it. 

Then, last night, he came around to my flat and broke up with me! 

I asked him why and tried to get him to explain himself and he told me that my going away was to see "another man" a deal-breaker, that he'd been in this type of situation before and wasn't going to go through it again. I asked him if this was an ultimatum - I hate ultimatums, they are tools of abusers - and he said "No, its not an ultimatum. I've decided to break up with you. I have not presented you with any options. I just came to say goodbye." 
Before I could say or do anything more, he kissed me on the forehead, said goodbye and walked away. He didn't seem angry, just...sad.
I tried to call him after, but he just texted me some bullshit about how this was for the best and that he wished me no ill will and hopes I'll be happy. He turned his phone off after whilst I bombarded him with texts and voicemails. 

To make matters worse, I told Dave about what happened and he replied "Oh well, guess that means we can have even more fun then! ;o)" He didn't care about my relationship and my pain - he just wanted a hookup buddy and someone to get stoned with whilst he was in Amsterdam. 
Now I've lost someone I love and my best friend - who I was only interested in as friends - has a different motive to me for meeting up. I feel like I've lost my partner and I've lost a best friend at the same time. 

I tried calling Pete today, about an hour ago, and he actually answered! He told me that I should look to be with someone who wasn't so abusive. He said, "Please stop calling me - this is over. Have a nice trip to Amsterdam" Then he BLOCKED me! How could he do that to someone he loves? Is he over reacting or was I? What should I do now? Was I wrong? 

tl;dr: 
Booked tickets to visit best friend. Got dumped because he was an ex. Did I just dodge a huge bullet...or did he? 
EDIT: OK I KNOW I hosed UP. What should I do?

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 3, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Esoteric Scientist posted:

My (30F) husband (40M) of 5 years, we have a very stupid and gross bathroom problem

I bet this dude is loving fat. Or possibly sits way too far back on the toilet seat for some reason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Caganer posted:

i mean, the person i was referencing also flipped out because she slapped me and i hit her back so i didn't really give a poo poo about her opinions :shrug:

I still treasure the look on my furnace's fiance's face when I reminded her that she had thrown the book at me in the first place (I also aimed to miss, she hadn't).

I'd also like to virtually apologize to our then roommates.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I bet this dude is loving fat. Or possibly sits way too far back on the toilet seat for some reason.

I’m fat, and I manage to get all my poo poo into the toilet bowl. If, by some chance, I did smear poo poo on the seat, I would wipe it off, because I’m not a disgusting loving pig.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Every time I read it, Pete becomes more of a loving genius. Like dude has seen that life is too short for stupid people and assholes and the venn diagrams in which they overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dannywilson posted:

Every time I read it, Pete becomes more of a loving genius. Like dude has seen that life is too short for stupid people and assholes and the venn diagrams in which they overlap.

Pete is my favorite internet story person. Except for the wife of that goon who opened his marriage up for his crush at work who turned out to be a lesbian. She owned the poo poo out of him.