Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

Aren't truckers here in ameristan :airquote:independent contractors:airquote: responsible for buying and repairing their own vehicles? And if so, is it different in Europe?

Apparently truckers are in such high demand they're willing to hire a frail 84 year old and pay him like $70k. It's a terrible job, but you can make bank in that industry right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.72d1f37160ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.wonga.com/

https://www.lenderseekers.co.uk/

I don't think there are actually any in the EU proper

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Would that be stock? Do i want to buy 401k? My parents have a Money Guy that I can work with, if that helps
Quoting this unappreciated post.

Thread content: I (19F) am an incoming third year engineering major who wants to change majors to psychology just so I can be a therapist to my bf (21)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ulf posted:

Quoting this unappreciated post.

Thread content: I (19F) am an incoming third year engineering major who wants to change majors to psychology just so I can be a therapist to my bf (21)
If that's a real post (the bolded text) please provide a link.

Got it!

quote:

He refuses to see a therapist , and I'm the person who ruined him because he opened up about his deepest feelings and insecurities and used them against him 2 years ago.

Also I lied to him about being involved with my ex during a time he (current bf) and I were not dating. But, even at this not - dating time, I said I wasn't involved, because I meant emotionally involved. We were still occasional gently caress buddies.

The lying was basically over a year, and once he found the truth, I made him feel bad for making me feel bad because I'm an abusive poo poo.

Then I hold poo poo against him because he cheated on me but technically at the time we were an open relationship so not really cheating, and he later asked if he could have regular sex with her to cope with the damage I've done to him, so if course I said yes.

Tldr: is it worth it to do this to show me dedication because I feel like I can never make it up to him.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 2, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Wafer posted:

Apparently truckers are in such high demand they're willing to hire a frail 84 year old and pay him like $70k. It's a terrible job, but you can make bank in that industry right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.72d1f37160ad

Gonna quote this in 10 years next to the articles talking about how several hundred thousand trucking jobs have been replaced by autonomous driving in the meantime

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bob dobbs is dead posted:

The UK is bringing in regulations that will cap then at 0.8% per day and total interest at 100% of the original loan. Ireland has no payday lenders because we cap lending interest rates at 23% per annum without applying to be a "moneylender" and the application form for being a money lender is basically a flashing red "GO gently caress YOURSELF" in 72 point font.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

The UK is bringing in regulations that will cap then at 0.8% per day and total interest at 100% of the original loan. Ireland has no payday lenders because we cap lending interest rates at 23% per annum without applying to be a "moneylender" and the application form for being a money lender is basically a flashing red "GO gently caress YOURSELF" in 72 point font.

exactly, the actual EU is great about this sort of poo poo

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In practice it will mean some borrowers will go to a loan shark and others will just not get their money. That might be ok though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

You aren't making "bank" unless you O/O and buy another couple trucks to put people in. And god drat the job sucks.

I grew up with a side business running traxles and TT/quarry trailers around. Long haul trucking by all accounts is even worse than that.

canyoneer posted:

Gonna quote this in 10 years next to the articles talking about how several hundred thousand trucking jobs have been replaced by autonomous driving in the meantime

Long haul maybe - but we already have a nearly autonomous (could actually be completely) way of doing that in most places. They are called freight trains.

Local/last mile trucking from distribution to retail or to the doorway isn't going anywhere any time in the next decade.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Hoodwinker posted:

Got it!

Lot's of her posting history is about wishing to kill herself. It's an irrational idea from a desperate and irrational mind.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

therobit posted:

In practice it will mean some borrowers will go to a loan shark and others will just not get their money. That might be ok though.

Pawn shops are one of the oldest ways to access credit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

You aren't making "bank" unless you O/O and buy another couple trucks to put people in. And god drat the job sucks.

I grew up with a side business running traxles and TT/quarry trailers around. Long haul trucking by all accounts is even worse than that.

Long haul maybe - but we already have a nearly autonomous (could actually be completely) way of doing that in most places. They are called freight trains.

Local/last mile trucking from distribution to retail or to the doorway isn't going anywhere any time in the next decade.

Depends on the job, I guess. One example they had was short haul trucking gigs where you get to go home each night and they can usually cherry pick their applicants and they can't even find people.

But yeah, that job looks absolutely miserable and is probably worth every penny they're paying you to drastically shorten your life.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

moana posted:

Growth and liquidity are kind of opposites, yo, also why do you want it liquid if you have no intention of using it soon.

I want it to grow, but also I'm planning on investing in startups that I believe will make money in the end. Most of my money comes from equity in startups at this point. So I plan on investing, but I just don't have a timeline for when/if that happens.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Thread needs more BWM trucks

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

One example they had was short haul trucking gigs where you get to go home each night and they can usually cherry pick their applicants and they can't even find people.

Zero argument on that. We had both some of the best and absolutely WORST employees. The stress of putting someone that may be a complete shithead in a vehicle worth six figures that can easily accrue more than it's own value in fines for a single instance (like blowing a bridge weight) or damages (it once cost us $25,000 in remediation for 12 gallons of spilled diesel fuel that went into a storm drain when the driver was hit by another car where he was NOT at fault) is just super stressful.

We're talking about just basic luck/unlucky poo poo like "I put on brand new steering tires and one got cut down on the first day - there goes $300 + the truck not earning for 4 hours" or "someone broke their windshield and decided to call in one of our trucks as the culprit" (cue spending $35/mo per truck plus several hundred for equipment to GPS track them all)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Moneyball posted:

Is that a hummer?

Tell me it at least has a fifth wheel in the back or something because otherwise I have so, so many questions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Come on dude...that's based on a normal passenger SUV. You want BWM truck you have to get into commercial poo poo converted to pickups.

Case in point, this F-650:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Looks hella dumb though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Looks hella dumb though.

Seriously. No trucknutz.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Can confirm that Sweden has plenty of them, but I think we might be on the extreme end of piling consumer debt on top of ourselves, too...

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Call Je Suis Wentworth!

:allears: :allears: :allears: wow

On topic, got an ad for this sweet boy on Facebook today:

http://www.etf.com/MAGA

quote:

The Point Bridge GOP Stock Tracker ETF tracks an index of US large-cap companies whose employees and political action committees are highly supportive of Republican candidates.

This is like those socially conscious ETFs or whatever that don’t invest in environment-destroying corps but for companies that are really into fossil fuels and love assault rifles and poo poo

I guess it’s not grossly BWM but the ticker being MAGA and the general idea both seem dumb as hell to me

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

canyoneer posted:

Point-to-Point trucking is going to be the first thing replaced by autonomous vehicles. But the warehouse on either side doesn't have a free worker to load/unload the truck. I think what's going to happen is that the truck driver becomes the truck unloader and just fucks around on the internet while the truck is in transit.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ZHamburglar posted:

I want it to grow, but also I'm planning on investing in startups that I believe will make money in the end. Most of my money comes from equity in startups at this point. So I plan on investing, but I just don't have a timeline for when/if that happens.

OK, maybe we were too hasty saying you're in the wrong thread

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BMan posted:

OK, maybe we were too hasty saying you're in the wrong thread

Let it ride on black. Nothing wrong with that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

ZHamburglar posted:

Paper money you mean? From sweat equity options? Or do you work with different kinds of startups than everyone else? They aren't known for throwing off cash to investors is my meaning. They are in fact known to do the exact opposite.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ZHamburglar posted:

How much do you live on per year? If you just stick your 7 figures into index funds you can probably withdraw at least $40k/year per million forever. Depending on your living expenses and how much you enjoy your job you could quit working entirely or go to less hours or a more fun but lowing paying place. Or just let it grow and it'll roughly double every 10 years. You said you're super cheap, so why risk your windfall in startups?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

What what point does it cross from bad with money to just bad with life?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Bad with money is spending money on lawn service and pool heating when you are having trouble paying the bills. Bad with life is buying bitcoins with your kids' college savings

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Zero argument on that. We had both some of the best and absolutely WORST employees. The stress of putting someone that may be a complete shithead in a vehicle worth six figures that can easily accrue more than it's own value in fines for a single instance (like blowing a bridge weight) or damages (it once cost us $25,000 in remediation for 12 gallons of spilled diesel fuel that went into a storm drain when the driver was hit by another car where he was NOT at fault) is just super stressful.

We're talking about just basic luck/unlucky poo poo like "I put on brand new steering tires and one got cut down on the first day - there goes $300 + the truck not earning for 4 hours" or "someone broke their windshield and decided to call in one of our trucks as the culprit" (cue spending $35/mo per truck plus several hundred for equipment to GPS track them all)

Whoa whoa wait a sec.

I can blame a truck when they throw a rock on my windshield? That 'not responsible for objects from the road' is a lie?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Wolfy posted:

What what point does it cross from bad with money to just bad with life?
The more like somebody who is Zaurg or would gently caress Zaurg they become.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont forget blue story

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

Got it!

Yikes.

The 10-15 posts in /r/depression might be a sign to get help.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Photex posted:

Yikes.

The 10-15 posts in /r/depression might be a sign to get help.

Its awful, but they sound like a shity person so I kinda hope they do this.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Call Je Suis Wentworth!

:ck5: Thread title change please.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

ZHamburglar posted:

Did not remember your name and thought this was a joke post. You are definitely in the right thread, just keep posting about your decisions here, especially when you put all your savings into an organic hash oil manufacturer whose business plan is as detailed as your retirement plan.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It is a BFC rite of passage to ask for advice on where to keep some money for either like 1 or 10 years that might be for a house down payment or potentially early retirement and ideally with high growth but available any time and without volatility

Would that be stock? Do i want to buy 401k? My parents have a Money Guy that I can work with, if that helps
also emptyquotin dis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moneyball posted:

Bad with money is spending money on lawn service and pool heating when you are having trouble paying the bills. Bad with life is buying bitcoins with your kids' college savings

I'm still wondering how someone in an isolated semi-arid rural area with rainwater and bore water in the 80s on top of a hill fills a goddamn swimming pool. A deep one, too.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

i've never tried halo top but i think i never will because i buy my ice cream from the local dairy who makes it on prem

Gross. Who wants to eat ice cream on Prem?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still wondering how someone in an isolated semi-arid rural area with rainwater and bore water in the 80s on top of a hill fills a goddamn swimming pool. A deep one, too.

Hire a tanker truck to haul it out to you like most people do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes, this is what us well-havers do. Very often it's the local volunteer fire department's tanker truck and you give them a nice donation. I've filled many a resident's pool for $500-1000.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Whoa whoa wait a sec.

I can blame a truck when they throw a rock on my windshield? That 'not responsible for objects from the road' is a lie?

Now that I'm out of that business........yes. Yes you can.

And people do it ALL the time.