Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

food court bailiff posted:

Hi, I bought into this because Netrunner is dying and I am sad.

Some thoughts:

The core is really garbage but I don't see how they could have done it differently for 7 factions. I know it's already been discussed to death in this thread but as a casual player coming to this game/setting completely fresh it was really offputting to see that I couldn't even make two real decks out of the core. Netrunner had the right idea there, with a ton of possible legal decks playable right out of the box and often competitive with each other. I've grabbed a handful of dynasty packs from the first cycle, the Pheonix clan pack, and a second Core, now that I know from the gimped one-core game that I like what I understood of the mechanics. Maybe if I settle into a few clans I want to main I can split a third core with some rube in a similar situation.

Speaking of coming to the setting completely fresh, is there some kind of Idiot's Guide to Rokugan somewhere I could check out? Something that compares the new vs old lore would be really cool, but other than that I don't care much about the legacy stuff. The fiction in the Learn to Play book was neat but even with a hugely weeby background it seemed like there was a ton of setting stuff that I could only really guess at.

Are there good resources to watch some high-level play? This game is complicated, and even after binging through this thread I'm not quite sure what all I'm missing (e.g., there was some discussion on how Pit Trap is apparently busted and I just don't "get it". I'm pretty sure I'm also misunderstanding some stuff about when you can play what type of card.). And is there a single kind of point-of-reference card wiki with rulings and discussion like NetrunnerDB was to A:NR?

also psi games owned but only in a hyper-competitive setting, and only because of the asymmetry of the underlying game

It's mostly about the old lore, but the L5R Wiki is a great source for self-directed lore. Just look up a few broad topics, like the various clans, and wiki walk your way to setting familiarity.

Here is a link to the L5R discord, where you can get great advice and people willing to answer any sort of rules questions. Regarding Pit Trap, it's actually brokenly bad rather than good. You likely heard people discussing its pre-errata form which was almost literally useless due to some poor wording on the card.

FiveringsDb is the go-to source for rulings, card info and a deck builder. It's great all around, and managed by one of the guys on the Discord.

There's a bunch of good videos on Youtube, especially if you check out the Discord League. The League is a monthly tournament with players of all skill levels. If you watch the Cup matches, you're probably going to see some great high level play. Most of them even have good commentary!

This is Jigoku, the main free online platform used to play L5R. Most of the videos on youtube are using Jigoku, and it's a great way to test out a new pack or deck without having to assemble it in person.

Feel free to come back here, or to the discord, if you have any questions and welcome to the L5R community!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The core game is actually really solid, you do really need 3 cores though to do it properly though. Atleast almost every clan straight out of the core set is somewhat competitive other than unicorn. It's one of the most balanced core sets FFG has ever released.

As far as FFG LCG core boxes go this is pretty good in terms of value too. A lot of their other games require 3 cores to have a play set of everything but you end up with a bunch of useless extra copies of certain cards. The only extras you will have after 3 cores are neutrals of which a good number will see play in a lot of your decks so it makes it easier to have multiple decks built up and ready to go.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sorry, but I'm just never going to buy it. I've played other LCGs - most of the "useless extra cards" you get from multiple sets in the ones I've played prior to this were things that were useful in a lot of different decks, even outside of faction. Like I said earlier, with as many factions as L5R has and as restrictive as the faction splashing is I don't see how they could have done much better, but the play out of one core set is pretty underwhelming. The game itself seems really cool and I'm excited to get deeper into it, but the core set is FFG as hell, and as I'm still riding the corpse of another one of their dying games I'm going to be a little salty about that for a while. Probably at least until I can find a scene nearby enough to compel me to get a third box.

I figure with the two cores I have and the dynasty packs and Phoenix clan thing I can scrounge up maybe three kitchen-table casual kinda decks to mess around with until I build my collection more.

Kaza42 posted:

<tons of cool info and resources>

Feel free to come back here, or to the discord, if you have any questions and welcome to the L5R community!

Thanks! Expect lots of dumb questions from me going forward - although I did manage to figure out the issue with Pit Trap from the errata notes on FiveringsDB. Baby steps!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If you are only playing casual kitchen tabletop games that's totally reasonable and you should be able to make a few reasonable decks with 2x core and some extra packs.

Compared to netrunner though that 3rd core is way better value, you get a full play set of every card for every fraction without wasted extras and the neutrals you get two playstyles of so you can have two full decks built without having to split things up and make suboptimal decks because you are sharing things.

Netrunners 3rd core was mainly just for a few 1x cards and the rest were extras you don't really need.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Double post

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 3, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: Acshually not worth it.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Wrote the start of an article series about intro level play for Crab here, but it's got some broadly applicable stuff. Might be of some use to a new player.

http://imperialadvisor.com/wp/2017/12/13/crabtactica-thedynastyphase/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Compared to netrunner though that 3rd core is way better value, you get a full play set of every card for every fraction without wasted extras and the neutrals you get two playstyles of so you can have two full decks built without having to split things up and make suboptimal decks because you are sharing things.

We have an actual Scene around here (as to my surprise the AEG players have mostly picked it up, plus new blood) so I'm guessing the 3x core would be the most ideal for me to get back into it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What are the main weaknesses of Unicorn right now*, particularly out of the core?

*other than clearly not having a horn on the clan seal

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Movement is kind of a neat trick but there's too many things going on to make it as overpowered as it could be.

Their "way of" to keep the first player is easily the most useless one right now as being first player isn't really that great.

Their clan role is also very strange as being a Seeker would probably be much better for them. Hoping they get Seeker of Water as a secondary.

Their Champion is bad.

Cavalry Reserves is pretty telegraphed and odds of getting it off without getting it Censured or Edicted/Voiced.

Poor favor control because of low glory counts, which also means you can't run Censure.

Zero combat tricks beyond Cavalry Reserves and Captive Audience.

With no way to honor your character you're also losing the ability to gain honor when they leave play, combined with their want to spend honor on things like Assassination and Captive Audience. Yurt is...helpful in not losing but that's about it.

Weak political stats that's not made up for by the Cavalry trait and Captive Audience.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I know you were asking for free things for the current state of the LCG, but if you want to see how various ages happened in Rokugan, I strongly recommend finding the two Imperial Histories books for 4th edition L5R RPG. Now there are some changes from the pre-coup timeline presented in the RPG/CCG to what they're probably doing in the LCG, but it makes things SO much easier to understand "Oh, this is why they act in this way"

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Almost all the cards for Unicorn we have seen so far this cycle are very good. Shitome encampment alone is incredible.

The unicorn deck I've been playing with the most success is splashing crab for skirmishers and reprieve. I was running jade tetsubos before this cycle because they are fun on moto juro but there is a good case for rebuild now.

The strategy is to buy moto juro, ide trader or another good tower character with 4+ fate. Put all the attachments, spyglasses, favoured mounts, swords, fans etc on them and make them participate in every conflict.

You want to force your opponent to overcommit on defence because you can move your guys in and get a break if they don't. If they are over defending its harder for them to attack back.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I highly recommend Scorpion as a second to Unicorn. They have enough courtier support to run Edict and also benefit greatly from Calling in Favors. Meek Informant is also a fantastic add because then you can find out when it's safe to drop Cavalry Reserves or Captive Audience.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks guys, I haven't really played with them yet but I was trying to parse how their gimmick is meant to work and how it can currently fall short.

For my main deck right now I'm really leaning towards Crab-splash-Scorpion. Arthropod supremacy.

E: kind of a related question but how much do you all consider the current Role distribution when choosing a clan? Right now I'm building decks straight because I can't remember for the life of me what the current distribution is, and I figure I'll go back and tweak it later with whatever my role allows me to add. But I guess I'm worried that I'm a game this young with a relatively small card pool if it should be more a factor in my thoughts from the beginning.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 5, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Thanks guys, I haven't really played with them yet but I was trying to parse how their gimmick is meant to work and how it can currently fall short.

For my main deck right now I'm really leaning towards Crab-splash-Scorpion. Arthropod supremacy.

E: kind of a related question but how much do you all consider the current Role distribution when choosing a clan? Right now I'm building decks straight because I can't remember for the life of me what the current distribution is, and I figure I'll go back and tweak it later with whatever my role allows me to add. But I guess I'm worried that I'm a game this young with a relatively small card pool if it should be more a factor in my thoughts from the beginning.

If you plan to play at all competitively, which includes 99% of Jigoku play and almost all in-store events, you'll need to stick to your clan's current role. This role has an enormous impact on the clan's performance, and so you shouldn't pick a clan without considering how roles will affect it. Roles change once a year in November at the end of Worlds. The current roles are:

Crab - Keeper of Earth
Crane - Seeker of Air
Dragon - Seeker of Fire
Lion - Keeper of Fire
Phoenix - Keeper of Water
Scorpion - Seeker of Void
Unicorn - Keeper of Void

These roles mean that Crab+Unicorn is their dominant choice at the moment, as Crab provinces + Talisman of the Sun is a very powerful combo and their longevity lets them get great use out of Spyglass

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I play each clan as their current role.

Role selection seems to be a fairly disliked thing by the community because they don't like not being able to play cards that are printed for their clan. I do think it kind of sucks that at a time when the card pool is very limited, having this limiting factor is not helpful to the game, but I also like that it's something important that clans kind of need to decide and discuss about what future options they'll have.

Case in point being the Backhanded Argument that resulted from the Worlds top Scorpion. Everyone hated him for not choosing Keeper, but as it turns out being able to run Pilgrimage and Shameful is actually a lot better than people thought it would be. Add to that, BHC potentially being a bit of a trap card like Levy is and Keeper not being particularly strong(3 more influence is nice, but not super necessary).

I do wish the design team approached them with more of a mentality where designing a card you didn't say "X role only" and instead said "Do a. Do b if also the X role."

If they went with additive design instead of restrictive it would have been much better for the limited card pool, and you wouldn't have "dead" in-clan cards.

Kaza42 posted:

Roles change once a year in November at the end of Worlds.

In addition to this, as I don't think they've changed it, or at least haven't updated the page, according to the Clan Standings page, post Kotei season each clan will be awarded a second role based on votes from participating clan players, and awarded in order of last to first in the Kotei standings. Which means it's a pretty good lock that Unicorn will get Seeker of Water.

This second role will only be available for the Winter Court World Championship and some sort of in-store event they haven't announced yet though. Personally I'd like to see them make it available at all store events as those are the more casual tournaments that should be encouraging experimentation.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 5, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Super dumb question:

If my opponent attacks politically with an Otomo Courtier (I think? The -/2 one) and the province exposed lets me swap to military, does the Courtier return home or just not do anything in the conflict? If it returns home does it bow?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Super dumb question:

If my opponent attacks politically with an Otomo Courtier (I think? The -/2 one) and the province exposed lets me swap to military, does the Courtier return home or just not do anything in the conflict? If it returns home does it bow?

it immediately returns home bowed if the conflict changes to military for any reason, such as Rally to the Cause, Kuroi Mori or Captive Audience.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

While Scorpion is appealing to the mono blue control player in me, with it's answers for everything and beautiful control of the board, I've really been enjoying the new Phoenix stuff. In particular the new stronghold is a joy and the toolbox spell deck is getting better with each release. I used to love playing Lion toolbox in old5R and this deck is really scratching that itch.

The current variant I'm playing around with I'm dubbing Paper Phoenix as while I initally hated them, the idea of forcing your opponent into battles at you Stronghold, protected by Kuroi Mori and letting them blow up all the other provinces you have using the new crop of elemental provinces, is looking quite nice.

Thanks to the new Phoenix box, you can run a ton of spells and things like Know the World and Clarity of Purpose make great fodder for Oracle of Stone. I switched off Supernatural Storm surprisingly because I think Charge! and Big Bird is better. There are too many strong phoenix characters that aren't Shugenja that Phoenix need to run so I don't typically get more than a +3 off it (looking at you Tsukune :argh:).

My current splash is Crab, running x3 Spreading the Darkness, 3x Reprieve, and 2x Raise the Alarm. I'm testing out Raise the Alarm but I think I'm running a few too many holdings for it to be really effective. I'm also using Wholeness of the World but I think Way of the Phoenix is better for Tadaka lock.

Anyway, had to gush a little bit because I was testing this deck pre-Elemental cycle and it seemed good but was lacking. Now with just a couple elemental packs, we're seeing some huge gains for it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What should I be looking for when I build a deck? The restrictions are so heavy that even though I have access to more than half the cards currently released I still feel like I'm kind of floundering when I try to put something together.

I kind of feel like the core microdecks for out of the box play are okay for learning the basic rules but they don't teach you squat about actual strategy, especially against another newbie. When I've been playing so far, 9 times out of 10 the deciding factor in conflicts is simply who lucked into enough low cost characters to actually participate in them. There are a lot of choices, but most of them don't feel like they amount to much since both me and my opponent are just flailing around with a bunch of mediocre neutral cards in addition to the factions. Since there's a limit on the number of characters in a conflict deck, am I off base thinking I should have as many as possible (or very close to it) when I build a deck?

There's no maximum hand size, right? Unless I'm super low on Honor there doesn't seem to be much of a penalty to being super honorable every round for more options. What are the downsides there? And if there are downsides, is there a way to discard down (at the Regroup phase or something) or do you basically need to be able to play your hand back down?

Also, I just want to make sure I'm getting this right: the Action Window timing stuff is only for actual 'Actions', right? Like there are some events with reactions or whatever that you could play when appropriate, e.g. immediately after the honor bid or something?

Sorry, a lot of these seem like really dumb questions, especially as I'm typing them out here. But then I sit down and try to build a deck and the little uncertainties pile up.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

What should I be looking for when I build a deck? The restrictions are so heavy that even though6) I have access to more than half the cards currently released I still feel like I'm kind of floundering when I try to put something together.

I kind of feel like the core microdecks for out of the box play are okay for learning the basic rules but they don't teach you squat about actual strategy, especially against another newbie. 1) When I've been playing so far, 9 times out of 10 the deciding factor in conflicts is simply who lucked into enough low cost characters to actually participate in them. There are a lot of choices, but most of them don't feel like they amount to much since both me and my opponent are just flailing around with 2) a bunch of mediocre neutral cards in addition to the factions. 3) Since there's a limit on the number of characters in a conflict deck, am I off base thinking I should have as many as possible (or very close to it) when I build a deck?

4) There's no maximum hand size, right? Unless I'm super low on Honor there doesn't seem to be much of a penalty to being super honorable every round for more options. What are the downsides there? And if there are downsides, is there a way to discard down (at the Regroup phase or something) or do you basically need to be able to play your hand back down?

Also, I just want to make sure I'm getting this right: 5) the Action Window timing stuff is only for actual 'Actions', right? Like there are some events with reactions or whatever that you could play when appropriate, e.g. immediately after the honor bid or something?

Sorry, a lot of these seem like really dumb questions, especially as I'm typing them out here. But then I sit down and try to build a deck and the little uncertainties pile up.

Do not play with the core decks. They're terrible and a poor representation of the game.

1) Low cost characters are almost never strong enough to break a province on their own and investing them is risky due to assassination.

2) There are a few neutral cards that will never leave the meta: Assassination, Court Games being the top of that list. Both of these are 0 fate cost and can save a province without you having anyone in the battle. The neutral characters are fairly garbo, the attachments are decent but not typically worth the slot, with the exception of Cloud the Mind, also top of the list, which players jam Shugenja into their decks just to be able to run. Rout is popular; Outwit less so typically in favor of For Shame!

3) You don't necessarily need to have all 10 slots in use, I'd say the typical amount is 8 depending on what characters you use, overall fate cost of the conflict deck, and any other strategies you use. For example, in Crab you'll typically want to run 3x Skirmishers, but beyond that it usually comes down to what clans you splash in as the other Crab conflict characters aren't super popular. The limit is really so the whole conflict deck isn't just characters and you're really forced to buy characters during Dynasty from the provinces.

4) No maximum hand size. Having high honor is useful for various cards that specifically want you to have higher honor than your opponent; which currently is a Lion thing. There's no discard phase. The winning-est clans Crab and Scorpion can both threaten the dishonor victory condition which is why honor is a thing you need a lot of and why you don't want to be tossing honor bids of 5 around when you can afford not to. Rule of thumb is that if you have what you need in your hand to accomplish the tasks that you set out to accomplish at the start of a turn, then don't bid unnecessarily. If you're staring down Hida Kisada with 3 fate on him, then digging for that Cloud the Mind is probably a good idea.

5) Action windows are for any event card, or in-play card ability with the boldface "Action:" text or playing a character/attachment from hand. The dynasty action window is a special action phase that allows you to also buy characters from provinces, or discard a unique character to place a fate on a copy of that unique in play, but prevents you from playing characters/attachments from hand(events are still ok). Reactions/interrupts are played/taken in response to their triggered condition being met. These are pretty much the same in that both require their triggering condition to happen and are then played immediately.

6) What do you currently have? I'm thinking by how you worded it you have 3 cores + imperial cycle?

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 11, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Double posting because the final preview for this cycle is up!

From the card fan we can see a zero cost Crab event that's locked to the Earth role that doubles province strength when the ring matches the element of the province or a ring in your pool. Not great but it's free so that's something. Certainly a lot better for Phoenix as they can manipulate that a lot more, but still too defensive to be great.

Then we have an amazing Scorpion province in Web of Lies. Base province strength is double whatever your dial. With Maze looking better and better because of cards like this, and Water provinces being fairly weak, this is almost sure to see play in a lot of decks as the Stronghold province.

After that we get another fantastic Scorpion card in the Reculsive Zokujin. He gets Covert and Immunity to enemy card effects during Earth conflicts, wow that's handy. While useful for dishonor, this guy is going to be great in later military decks due to his 3 cost 3mil. Between him and the Unassuming Yojimbo, there's going to be a lot of characters not opposing Scorpion.

Next up is a Crane bird. The Tengu sensei coverts but his effect also prevents the enemy from assigning that turn. The high cost of the bird at 5 is pretty prohibitive but that's a super strong ability.

Then we have a Phoenix duel of glory that can only target Shugenjas for both sides. It's zero cost, and the winning effect is getting to resolve whatever ring they want. Most decks try to run a couple shugenja for Cloud the Mind so this probably won't lack targets. At only 1 influence and no element requirements I can easily see the Scorpion and Crane using this.

The second Phoenix card is far less good mostly due to traits. The Roving Michibiku is a 2/2 for 3 that allows you to take an opponents ring after you win a conflict against them. Unfortunately he's a Monk which have pretty much no support in Phoenix right now and his ability is the definition of a win more card that also requires you to have already lost something. Now of course it's reasonable to assume you'll lose some battles and rings through the course of a game but yeah, the only thing I can really say about this guy is that he's probably going to see play in Dragon because they can always use another decent Monk in their conflict deck and Phoenix pairs pretty well with Dragon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Did they ever give a release date for the RPG? I checked their site for the corebook and didn't see one. It seems like it would come out at Gen Con but who knows.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Did they ever give a release date for the RPG? I checked their site for the corebook and didn't see one. It seems like it would come out at Gen Con but who knows.

it's gencon, they had an announcement a while back. Starter set is topaz championship

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Beginner Box is almost definitely at GenCon.

Main RPG book, unknown. Probably not at GenCon

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

SirFozzie posted:

Beginner Box is almost definitely at GenCon.

Main RPG book, unknown. Probably not at GenCon

God dammit, how many times am I gonna fall for this move? I'll buy the beginner box, be disappointed in how little is in there, then never open it again once the book is out.

At least it comes with dice, I suppose. Plus I was guaranteed to be converting the Topaz Championship over if they weren't already going that route. I just hope that the pregen characters aren't too deeply tied into the adventure and I can swap them out quickly once the book comes.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The Beginner Box is "On the Boat" (not always the best indication of status, as the SW 30th anniversary edition was on the boat for four months, I wonder if it was impounded for a while at customs, or what have you).

The main book is "at the Printers)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

*snip*

6) What do you currently have? I'm thinking by how you worded it you have 3 cores + imperial cycle?

Right now two cores, three or four packs from the Imperial cycle, and the Phoenix clan pack. Looking to round out the first cycle and start grabbing the second one soon. When is the Scorpion clan pack coming out?

Thanks for all the info otherwise! I'm putting together some actual decks here and gearing up to play a "real" game soon.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Right now two cores, three or four packs from the Imperial cycle, and the Phoenix clan pack. Looking to round out the first cycle and start grabbing the second one soon. When is the Scorpion clan pack coming out?

Thanks for all the info otherwise! I'm putting together some actual decks here and gearing up to play a "real" game soon.

Scorpion clan pack is October. Second cycle has been much better than the first I'd say. Even with all the role locked cards, the overall increase in card power is quite noticeable for many clans.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Scorpion clan pack is October. Second cycle has been much better than the first I'd say. Even with all the role locked cards, the overall increase in card power is quite noticeable for many clans.

Seriously, October?! So they're doing like two a year? That's a bummer, I'd gotten myself kinda hype for it from the preview I caught earlier in the thread - especially since I really liked the Phoenix clan pack.

And I grabbed the rest of Imperial this afternoon, probably going to start ordering Elemental online this weekend. How many packs are out for that one? Are they still keeping up with a pack a week? I honestly really like that pack a week structure, I'm at a game store once a week anyway.

Still haven't finished putting together my legal practice/learning decks - I decided to go Crab vs Phoenix (partially because of the extra options the clan pack offered). Once I get a better handle on all this I'd appreciate some more serious games on Jigoku so I can learn about the meta.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yeah, they're doing 6 packs in 6 weeks again. Third pack just dropped and will be legal a week from Monday I think.

Based on the Scorpion pack being in October I think it's safe to assume the next cycle will hit on or around Christmas. Obviously getting it out during the holiday season makes the most sense for business but for the health of the game it would be hard to organize tournaments then so delaying into January and coming out after people have returned to their normal routine makes sense too. If they switch back to the 1 pack every 4-5 weeks schedule then they could have the first pack drop in time for Christmas, right after Worlds. Do a stealth release at World's to build hype then a public release the next week.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Ebb and Flow is up on CardgameDB.

Pretty interesting ruling is that Ikeban Artisan works even when you have no fate. Preventing honor loss from undefended is pretty good and with all these new provinces "paper" decks are going to be quite interesting to see.

We also have what thematically appears to be the first "Ancestral Sword of the ________" in the Ofushikai. Seems strong, Phoenix have more control over their Champion entering and leaving play than most clans do thanks to Big Bird. Speaking of Big Bird, he makes My Ancestor's Strength a ridiculously good splash for Phoenix.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 14, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

If a player no longer has characters at a conflict due to card effects does that prevent them from continuing to play conflict cards?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

If a player no longer has characters at a conflict due to card effects does that prevent them from continuing to play conflict cards?

Doesn't matter if you ever had a character there in the first place. Once a conflict has started you can play conflict cards and take actions during your action window. There is no rule of presence that requires you to have units in the conflict though.

Court Games and Mirumoto's Fury are both cards that you might play without a unit in the conflict.

A Unicorn might send Moto Juro to attack a province, move him home leaving him with nobody left on his side, then Charge! to bring in someone from his provinces.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cool news: Clans will have two Roles available for official play at all times after the next Toshi Ranbo. I knew this was coming. Specifically, one of the two roles will be changed every four months, such that a given role is available for eight months before changing. Also if the return of Fu Leng isn't just around the corner in the new canon, I'll eat my hat, but my hat will be a crab like the cool guy pictured in this article, but also a real crab so it's edible.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/7/18/something-is-coming/

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Majestic.

He is the embodiment of the crab player I wish to be.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

That guy owns.

Baron Snow posted:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best part of being a Crab main is your Clan expects its samurai to be, ah, bulky.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I like the new role changes. I think that's a good balance of meta changing potential and importance on any given choice.

The elemental challenges being con-gated, while the Championships being select regional retail events seems backwards to me but I guess that is actually good because of you are willing to travel for them you'll save money on not having to pay con fees, while Elemental challenges can basically allow cons and such the have a meaningful L5R event out of Kotei season. So that's good, makes them more like side events which will probably mean less attendance but a greater number of them.