Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Amusingly enough, the same network that has no qualms with displaying Evan Rachel Wood's naked body in her full splendor, or with allowing a local host to talk like an average foulmouthed north mexican, was actually troubled enough to bleep out all the cursing in this week's episode. Very specifically, any mentions of "Peña Nieto Chinga a Tu Madre" were bleeped together for some reason, and the whole clip segment was a full minute of non stop bleeping.

The fact that mexican subscribers get to miss out on John's adorably saying "sheengah too mahdreh" is a goddamn crime :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The hell? Do they ever censor subscription channels in Mexico in any other instances, or did they make a special exception for EPN's feelings?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 26, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
None of it was censored in the version I saw. I know they used to censor the clips on YouTube, is that what you saw?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

None of it was censored in the version I saw. I know they used to censor the clips on YouTube, is that what you saw?

It wasn't censored on YouTube either though.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I've got a HBO GO sub (which basically works for us like HBO Now does in USA) but I don't have cable so idk what they did for the broadcast version. The streaming version is definitely bleeped out for me though, definitely the first time I hear bleeping on an HBO show. Hell they don't even bleep Chumel so idkwtf

http://streamable.com/9ynqo

e:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 27, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I got the HBO promotion through Hulu and it was totally uncensored.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah to clarify, I'm in Mexico and I'm subbed to HBO Go Mexico. AFAIK the HBO GO we get is entirely different from the USA version (separate library, non-shared logins etc, not a lot of the same back catalog).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
But how common is this in Mexico? Do they ever censor language on subscription channels, other is this a unique situation and seemingly because it's stuff directed at the president?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i have a personal stake in genetic editing due to my family having a genetic disease running through it (that will end with me, god willing), but man there are some loving idiots running around doing dumb poo poo with CRISPR. It's a shame they didn't talk about the silicon valley moron who injected himself with some sort of herpes "fix" who is very very dead now

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did he get ultra herpes or just mundanely poisoned himself?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

oohhboy posted:

Did he get ultra herpes or just mundanely poisoned himself?

i have not found any articles with the actual cause of death, but he was found dead in the most SV-Biohacker place possible: a sensory deprivation tank

Aaron Traywick, for those who want a very interesting read about the ethics of biohacking and a big ol' dummy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, so they really did make a movie out of that videogame about giant monsters punching skyscrapers.

Eugenics is super creepy and probably unfeasible for the next decade or so, but that wouldn't stop some people from trying. God knows there's already a surprising amount of people in favor of soft genocides out there. Hopefully that won't get in the way of the positive uses of the technology.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's an minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but I still hold out hope they will establish an effective genetic technique to restore full color vision to those who have a deficiency. I know they've had some trials with primates that were encouraging. I would love to expand my color palette from tens of thousands to millions of colors.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm just going to put this out there.... genocide people with that faulty cilantro gene where it tastes like soap to them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This episode reminded me to watch Gattaca again and that movie is awesome, if increasingly unnerving as the years go by.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just want to stamp out depression and schizo disorders. That's super personal to me though. Living with chronic depression is loving awful. Growing up with 2 bipolar parents - a nightmare.

I'm sure there's lots of other disorders that have absolutely no upside that could benefit.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

DC Murderverse posted:

i have not found any articles with the actual cause of death, but he was found dead in the most SV-Biohacker place possible: a sensory deprivation tank

Aaron Traywick, for those who want a very interesting read about the ethics of biohacking and a big ol' dummy

That article mentions he was found with Ketamine in his pocket, so likely drowning from taking a ridiculous horse tranquilizer and getting in a pool of water. Could have been looking to trip out in the tank and accidentally drowned or maybe he intended it..

I was hoping for a crazy story where he injected some awful poo poo but it seems like it was just the last of a long line of stunts he pulled shortly before his life really went off the rails.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 2, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I didn't know bio-hacking with CRISPR was a thing. Or CRISPR, really.

It all looks really, really crazy and dumb to me, this bio-hacking business. I guess we just have to wait for a couple of these idiots to turn into Brundleflies before people wise up.

Or, before they turn themselves into Brundleflies on purpose, because, hey man, it's a Brundlefly!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I have no idea what CRISPR is, but in the year of our lord 2018, it seems to make perfect sense that humanity is loving with their genes through garage-sold kits called CRISPR

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CRISPR fires tiny gold beads loaded with DNA at cells to insert code. Being able to alter DNA is revolutionary but it is also pretty random.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s literally the gene splicing episode of Batman Beyond...

Oh poo poo it’s actually Bioshock

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

IRQ posted:

I'm just going to put this out there.... genocide people with that faulty cilantro gene where it tastes like soap to them.

People who taste the extra chemical in cilantro can eat a bunch of cilantro and train themselves out of it tasting bad.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

oohhboy posted:

CRISPR fires tiny gold beads loaded with DNA at cells to insert code. Being able to alter DNA is revolutionary but it is also pretty random.

That's like saying Writers use Amazon to deliver paper to your house.

What you are describing is biolistics, and on itself has nothing to do with CRISPR/CAS9-based DNA editing. It's a technology that far predates it (80s) and can be used for a wide variety of applications, with CRISPR/CAS9-delivery being just one of them. The DNA/RNA is coated onto gold balls, shot at cells, but in such a way that the gold balls are stopped before entering the cells, while the D/RNA coated onto them flies on and penetrates the cells. With most techniques at that point you sort of pray that it inserts itself into the genome in a way that is workable, and you do it to enough cells to ensure you'd have some viable ones. With CRISPR you'd have a lot more control on the how and where the DNA gets edited.

Biolistics is one of many methods of delivering CRISPR into cells, and given that it's not even mentioned in the delivery section of the CRISPR wikipedia page it's not even a particular important one I think. It has been used to deliver CRISPR, but to my knowledge only in plant seed cells.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No Pants posted:

People who taste the extra chemical in cilantro can eat a bunch of cilantro and train themselves out of it tasting bad.

You're not fooling me with your cilantro tastes good conspiracy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Maybe it's you people who think cilantro tastes good that are wrong.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

silicone thrills posted:

Only someone who can't taste cilantro correctly would ever say that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

I understand that you're trying to be diplomatic here, but seriously, your use of the word "maybe" in this context is patently incorrect. It's almost as incorrect as the notion that cilantro isn't terrible.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

IRQ posted:

trust me we are already suffering enough

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cilantro is a glitch in the matrix to prove who is cool and who cannot eat cilantro

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The flavor of cilantro started out as a sarcastic joke that some people forgot was a joke and now swear is good without a hint of irony.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You cilantro arguers are reminding me of the nipple people race war from Rick & Morty. Is a cilantro race taste war brewing? :ohdear:

tarlibone posted:

The flavor of cilantro started out as a sarcastic joke that some people forgot was a joke and now swear is good without a hint of irony.

I, too, like cilantro (y cebolla!) on tacos! :colbert: :mexico:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cilantro is good. If you don't like it there's a mountain of evidence that you're a broken defective human being and you should submit to Gene therapy as soon as is possible

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently asparagus making your pee smell is a genetic thing. I'm sure we could all agree no one will miss that one.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
23andme says that the needing to poop after driving coffee is a genetic thing as well. also hating the sound of people chewing their food.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

23andme says that the needing to poop after driving coffee is a genetic thing as well. also hating the sound of people chewing their food.

Hell yeah, my routine morning poo poo at work is now a medical condition :hai:

I would literally pay a fortune to sequence my genome and look stuff like that up. It sound absolutely fascinating. But no way I'm gonna give that information to an American company. It's gonna be in a NSA database almost instantly and then in a data leak a couple of years later. Everyone will be able to look it up.

Googling genetic behavioral and intelligence factors of a prospective employee is probably gonna be a very widespread thing in the future. There is no way to police that poo poo.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently asparagus making your pee smell is a genetic thing. I'm sure we could all agree no one will miss that one.

I specifically avoid eating asparagus because it makes my piss reek and I can't stand the smell.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ah yes, because the smell of piss is usually just sunshine and roses.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Hell yeah, my routine morning poo poo at work is now a medical condition :hai:

I would literally pay a fortune to sequence my genome and look stuff like that up. It sound absolutely fascinating. But no way I'm gonna give that information to an American company. It's gonna be in a NSA database almost instantly and then in a data leak a couple of years later. Everyone will be able to look it up.

Googling genetic behavioral and intelligence factors of a prospective employee is probably gonna be a very widespread thing in the future. There is no way to police that poo poo.

I totally forgot about all the horrible cyberpunk potential of people having your DNA on file. The only thing I've heard on that front so far is insurers potentially charging people more if they have a genetic disease. (Thanks, America's broken healthcare system)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would splice my genes for animal parts and mutant abilities immediately and without hesitation and welcome the inevitable health risks

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only thing I've heard on that front so far is insurers potentially charging people more if they have a genetic disease.
people might also triangulate on your serial killer relatives using DNA you provided, so watch out if you or anyone in your family has been doing any serial killing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sivart13 posted:

people might also triangulate on your serial killer relatives using DNA you provided, so watch out if you or anyone in your family has been doing any serial killing

Also, doesn't that 23 and me site get legal rights to any DNA submitted to them?

• Locked thread