Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So. A few months back, my boss's sister noticed that I'd bring my own lunch with me to work every day. Say what you will, but spending $10 - $15 a day on lunch is /not on/ for a guy who grew up really poor. Even if someone else is buying, I don't feel comfortable partaking, because I really do prefer my own cooking. I can do things like season it to my liking. I can keep the spiciness to a level that I find /comfortable/ rather than having me tearing up and dying. I can add a reasonable amount of oil, and not have it swimming in a giant grease puddle atop the container.

Anyway. She also noticed that I wasn't making giant pots of the same old crap over and over again, but varying it up. I found out a while ago that cooking for one doesn't take much effort for me. I make a pot of rice that'll last me like 2 or 3 days. Sorting out sides after the rice is in the microwave for a minute or two is pretty easy. So she was asking me how I do that, and I explained that I'm not afraid of frozen veg, or tinned beans. They're not as cheap as the dried beans or fresh veg, but if it means that I don't have to spend time prepping them and I'm more likely to /cook/ them, then it's still saving me money, because I'm not eating out.

I asked her if she'd be down for cooking lunch for each other. We'd alternate the easy stuff (rice) with the more complex stuff (daal, veggies, whatever). She was totally on board, because it meant that rather than making two or three dishes for lunch, she'd just have to sort out one. The first day of our informal lunch club, two other ladies sat with us in the break room. They'd gotten Indian takeaway, and ate like five bites of it before calling it a wash, and pitching it in the bin. They saw that we had plenty of food (we're Indian; you don't run out of food if you have any shred of dignity), and asked to join in. So now, one of the ladies brings in fresh roti every day. Another one brings in stuff that she had back in Bulgaria, but made vegan so I can eat it too. I usually make something decidedly South Indian. And there's generally something more Northern from boss and/or his sister. We eat lunch together, and really enjoy ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

So. A few months back, my boss's sister noticed that I'd bring my own lunch with me to work every day. Say what you will, but spending $10 - $15 a day on lunch is /not on/ for a guy who grew up really poor. Even if someone else is buying, I don't feel comfortable partaking, because I really do prefer my own cooking. I can do things like season it to my liking. I can keep the spiciness to a level that I find /comfortable/ rather than having me tearing up and dying. I can add a reasonable amount of oil, and not have it swimming in a giant grease puddle atop the container.

Anyway. She also noticed that I wasn't making giant pots of the same old crap over and over again, but varying it up. I found out a while ago that cooking for one doesn't take much effort for me. I make a pot of rice that'll last me like 2 or 3 days. Sorting out sides after the rice is in the microwave for a minute or two is pretty easy. So she was asking me how I do that, and I explained that I'm not afraid of frozen veg, or tinned beans. They're not as cheap as the dried beans or fresh veg, but if it means that I don't have to spend time prepping them and I'm more likely to /cook/ them, then it's still saving me money, because I'm not eating out.

I asked her if she'd be down for cooking lunch for each other. We'd alternate the easy stuff (rice) with the more complex stuff (daal, veggies, whatever). She was totally on board, because it meant that rather than making two or three dishes for lunch, she'd just have to sort out one. The first day of our informal lunch club, two other ladies sat with us in the break room. They'd gotten Indian takeaway, and ate like five bites of it before calling it a wash, and pitching it in the bin. They saw that we had plenty of food (we're Indian; you don't run out of food if you have any shred of dignity), and asked to join in. So now, one of the ladies brings in fresh roti every day. Another one brings in stuff that she had back in Bulgaria, but made vegan so I can eat it too. I usually make something decidedly South Indian. And there's generally something more Northern from boss and/or his sister. We eat lunch together, and really enjoy ourselves.

Neat!

I wonder if you could add an additional members who simply pay instead of making more dishes

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Just after dino.'s feel-good story about sharing lunch at work, I run into this: https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1012297059456544770

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
be careful, dino.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tired Moritz posted:

be careful, dino.

Or maybe it’s dino.’s colleagues who should be careful. :ohdear:

Parents just gave us a nutribullet. We have a food processor but not a blender. Is it worth keeping?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

therattle posted:

Parents just gave us a nutribullet. We have a food processor but not a blender. Is it worth keeping?

They're chintzy even by infomercial kitchen gadget standards. Don't expect it to last long and hope it doesn't explode.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

therattle posted:

My wife’s worked fine for years for fruit smoothies and light blending. It didn’t make amazingly smooth Vitamix smoothies but it did the job just fine. Her only complaint was it had a small capacity. The ones they make now come with larger jars so maybe that’s a non-issue.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got tired of having dull-ish knives and none of the sharpening services around here have delivered on what I'd consider to be a well-sharpened knife, so I bit the bullet and ordered a legit Edge Pro system. I'm going to use it on my Victorinox Fibrox first since that's my cheapest knockaround knife, but anyone have any TIPS N TRIX on it so I don't make a mess of things?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The cleaning crew threw out all of my condiments that I went to go pick up from my old house. What's everyone's favorite fish sauce?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I use three crabs or squid brand depending on what's cheaper. There's fancy stuff like red boat, too, but most wouldn't use that to "cook with"

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Are these colloquial names? I'm in San Jose so I have tons of asian grocery stores here. Does 99 Ranch have those brands?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

My wife’s worked fine for years for fruit smoothies and light blending. It didn’t make amazingly smooth Vitamix smoothies but it did the job just fine. Her only complaint was it had a small capacity. The ones they make now come with larger jars so maybe that’s a non-issue.

Thanks. We got given the original smallish one. My immersion blender has a small blending/chopping bowl attachment that works reasonably well and I have a Magimix (Cuisinart) which has a small bowl option too. We don't really drink smoothies ever so all i think we'd use it for are things like smooth spice mixes for Asian food.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chemmy posted:

Are these colloquial names? I'm in San Jose so I have tons of asian grocery stores here. Does 99 Ranch have those brands?

I use Squid brand, but leave it in my cupboard for a few months before I open it and start using it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

99 ranch will definitely have both of those brands

edit: links for visual aids

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Crabs-Brand-24-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B001OQWK0W

https://www.amazon.com/Squid-Brand-...rand+fish+sauce

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 2, 2018

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I use three crabs or squid brand depending on what's cheaper. There's fancy stuff like red boat, too, but most wouldn't use that to "cook with"
Same, except Three Crabs or Tiparos. Although more and more I'm ending up just using Red Boat for everything, because it seems to be catching on as the default brand carried in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of all the local non-ethic grocery stores.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I only buy Red Boat, the difference is worth the price, even as an ingredient. I have a bottle of Three Crabs from forever ago, but I always regret it when Red Boat is right there.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I only buy Red Boat, the difference is worth the price, even as an ingredient. I have a bottle of Three Crabs from forever ago, but I always regret it when Red Boat is right there.
I absolutely prefer the flavour of Red Boat when I'm tasting it more or less by itself, but there are some applications where it just doesn't click for me. Like every time I've made kimchi with Red Boat it feels like it's missing something.

Speaking of sperging over Asian sauces, what's the hivemind consensus on oyster sauce? I always get one of the fuckoff big tins of LKK premium (the one with the lady and the kid in a priogue or whatever it's called) right before my garden gai lan and yu choy start producing, and I like it better than the alternatives I've tried. But I'm thinking come the gently caress on, LKK can't be the right answer.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the pastel blue and pink label with the lady and kid thing LKK premium is what I use. I like it the best of the ones I've tried but I can't say that I've sperged it at all.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
LKK premium is the best I've used and it's available everywhere, but if you want to sperg some have said the megachef one is worth searching far and wide for.

For fish sauce I can't easily get the ones you all mention. Here it's squid or tra chang brand and I usually get tra chang gold label. If I could find a place that sells megachef I would probably try their fish sauce along with their oyster sauce but I usually go to very small suburban asian grocery stores which don't stock it.

e:

The Midniter posted:

I got tired of having dull-ish knives and none of the sharpening services around here have delivered on what I'd consider to be a well-sharpened knife, so I bit the bullet and ordered a legit Edge Pro system. I'm going to use it on my Victorinox Fibrox first since that's my cheapest knockaround knife, but anyone have any TIPS N TRIX on it so I don't make a mess of things?

Get an igaging brand digital angle cube so you can set the angle right. I've only used edge fauxs but apparently even the legit one doesn't have the marked angles right.
You should have decent stones with the legit one, but for an edge faux the supplied stones are garbage. Get a ceramic hone because knives straight off the sharpener aren't that impressive until the edge is honed and polished.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 2, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

I absolutely prefer the flavour of Red Boat when I'm tasting it more or less by itself, but there are some applications where it just doesn't click for me. Like every time I've made kimchi with Red Boat it feels like it's missing something.

Speaking of sperging over Asian sauces, what's the hivemind consensus on oyster sauce? I always get one of the fuckoff big tins of LKK premium (the one with the lady and the kid in a priogue or whatever it's called) right before my garden gai lan and yu choy start producing, and I like it better than the alternatives I've tried. But I'm thinking come the gently caress on, LKK can't be the right answer.

Pretty sure that Red Boat doesn't have any sugar and Squid and a couple of the other ones do.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Most of the Thai ones have sugar (squid, tra chang, tiparos, megachef), but at least they are anchovy and salt mainly (1% sugar). Cheaper ones like 3 crabs is anchovy extract and has hydrolyzed vegetable protein as well as fructose, and some even cheaper ones have caramel colouring and acids.
If you want one without added sugar I think only a couple of premium Vietnamese nuoc mams like red boat are the exception.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I use either Squid or Red Boat depending on what is priced best whenever I re-up. Typically just buy the largest size possible once or twice a year.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

That Works posted:

Pretty sure that Red Boat doesn't have any sugar and Squid and a couple of the other ones do.

Red Boat doesn't even add water. The list of ingredients is just anchovies, salt. Red Boat is pure undiluted anchovy runoff (and my favorite). For cooking applications I still use the Three Crabs or whatever bottle I have in the back of the pantry, but for anything like nước chấm where the fish sauce is a major flavor component, it's Red Boat or bust.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
look at how wrong you all are about fish sauce

flying lion brand fish sauce for life

(red boat is great but I'd literally spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year on fish sauce if I used it)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nah, I'm correct with tra chang gold; ingredients: anchovy, salt, sugar
Flying lion: Ingredients: Anchovy Extract, Water, Salt, Fructose, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mindphlux posted:

(red boat is great but I'd literally spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year on fish sauce if I used it)

Don't judge me

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GWS General Chat: is a fish sauce a sandwich?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
As long as we're talking about sauces, what do people like for Chinese soy sauces? I think LKK Premium is my favorite for both light and dark, although I think I've never done a 1:1 taste test with Pearl River Bridge, which I also like.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
When I'm cooking vegan I prefer a tamari or gluten free Japanese soy sauce and there's little/none wheat filler in it so it's more savoury.
When I cook other styles I usually get pearl river.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

As long as we're talking about sauces, what do people like for Chinese soy sauces? I think LKK Premium is my favorite for both light and dark, although I think I've never done a 1:1 taste test with Pearl River Bridge, which I also like.
PRB gold for light, PRB dark for dark. I get both in the 2 litre plastic jerry cans.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I swear to god I thought you were discussing PBR for a second and this conversation is about as snobby and hipster as PBR aficionado discussions.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I switched strictly to a fancy Korean soy sauce for everything and I can't go back to anything else. PRB is so harsh compared to it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I switched strictly to a fancy Korean soy sauce for everything and I can't go back to anything else. PRB is so harsh compared to it.
Got a brand recommendation? All the Korean soy sauces I've tried are either super-pungent soup soys or blended stuff that tastes too sweet to me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartolimu posted:

Red Boat doesn't even add water. The list of ingredients is just anchovies, salt. Red Boat is pure undiluted anchovy runoff (and my favorite). For cooking applications I still use the Three Crabs or whatever bottle I have in the back of the pantry, but for anything like nước chấm where the fish sauce is a major flavor component, it's Red Boat or bust.

Exactly why I use it. It is the right kind of funk.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

Nah, I'm correct with tra chang gold; ingredients: anchovy, salt, sugar
Flying lion: Ingredients: Anchovy Extract, Water, Salt, Fructose, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein

I'll give tra chang a try, just for you. I've never had it.

that said, yeah, flying lion isn't 100000% pure, but it's about taste man. to me, it tastes correct - which most every other brand I've tried (3 crabs, squid, golden boy, s&b / lkk, god forbid "thai kitchen" or "a taste of thai") tastes off to me. I am pretty sure they all have vegetable protein in them too.

tiparos is a middle ground - it doesn't taste wrong per se, but it feels like it's missing something to me. I think it doesn't have the extra added poo poo, but for whatever reason, I think flying lion tastes closer to a full bodied unadulterated high nitrogen fish sauce than tiparos. just my hot take.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 4, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

Got a brand recommendation? All the Korean soy sauces I've tried are either super-pungent soup soys or blended stuff that tastes too sweet to me.

I get 유기농 자연콩간장 or 유기농 양조간장 Sempio Organic Naturally Brewed Premium Soy Sauce

It's always been expensive everywhere I've seen it online, but my local korean market has it for like $8. Still kinda pricey, but totally worth it imo. Especially if you do a lot of soy sauce based dips.

Edit: Sempio Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce 501/샘표 양조간장 501 Is also pretty good and cheaper. I have a hard time finding it locally though.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 4, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've been making coffee with a stove-top mocha, sweetening and cooling it, and then using it for delicious, delicious iced coffee (which I love; much more than hot regular coffee). I wondered if there was an equivalent cold-brew method that was easier. I;m looking for espresso strength. Does that work with cold brew? if anyone has any experience I'd be grateful for your views.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

I've been making coffee with a stove-top mocha, sweetening and cooling it, and then using it for delicious, delicious iced coffee (which I love; much more than hot regular coffee). I wondered if there was an equivalent cold-brew method that was easier. I;m looking for espresso strength. Does that work with cold brew? if anyone has any experience I'd be grateful for your views.

Extraction is a function of temperature and time, so anything can be as concentrated in caffeine and many flavors as espresso, but some of the oils and terpenes that make espresso more flavorful than drip coffee happen because they are extracted under pressure. I like to flash brew my iced coffee, replacing a majority of the water that I pour over with ice. 30g coffee ground medium or so, pour over filter on a mason jar, 350g ice, 150ml water boiled and poured over.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

therattle posted:

We have one of these. You can control the strength. https://smile.amazon.com/Toddy-THM-Cold-Brew-System/dp/B0006H0JVW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I get 유기농 자연콩간장 or 유기농 양조간장 Sempio Organic Naturally Brewed Premium Soy Sauce

It's always been expensive everywhere I've seen it online, but my local korean market has it for like $8. Still kinda pricey, but totally worth it imo. Especially if you do a lot of soy sauce based dips.

Edit: Sempio Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce 501/샘표 양조간장 501 Is also pretty good and cheaper. I have a hard time finding it locally though.
Ah, cool. Sempio is actually the brand most Korean grocers around here carry (Chung Jung One is the other one that shows up a lot). I've had the red and gold label Sempio and neither was something I'd sub out for something I'd use PRB (or some other general-purpose Chinese soy) for.

On the other hand I do sometimes sub Sempio's gochujang in for doubanjiang if I'm out because it shows up in the corner white people grocers too, and that's by no means a straight substitution either.