Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birdstrike posted:

tell whoever’s idea this is that their brain is fully depreciated

Was a liability to begin with rather than an asset tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Comstar posted:

People keep accusing her and then not providing any details or evidence.

I was at Adelaide Uni while SHY was at the height of student politics stuff, and the general approach she took annoyed the hell out of me. That said the couple of brief times I've actually met her she has been nice and she's spent a long time fighting the good fighting when it comes to refugees.

quote:

From what I heard this morning on RN, she’s had enough and Littleproud is about to get served. Hopefully he gets bankrupted.

Hopefully.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Was a liability to begin with rather than an asset tyvm

lol

It sounds like it could work in theory so long as it never comes into contact with actual accounting or tax practice?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Isn't it just an easy way for Dept Homeland Security or whatever the Potato Reich is officially called to expand their purpose further and increase (or retain? I recall Vic biting back at the freedom of use they wanted to apply) the shared passport-driverslicence-etc system across states?

Edit: including pensioners is :discourse: levels of political suicide

It's definitely this. They're obsessed with biometrics and population tracking. I think it was in 2015 that abbott talked about getting rid of cash money entirely to get target "unexplained money."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder if you can even buy a smartphone with the BasicsCard™

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How will the liberal party launder their donations if everything is tracked though?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/1013961258981355520

auspol/uspol/churchpol surprise crossover!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ahahahahhaaaaa https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...27938134f946a53

quote:

Liberal-Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm has labelled Malcolm Turnbull a "pussy" for criticising the maverick crossbencher’s comments about the personal life of Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young.

Senator Leyonhjelm has hit back at the Prime Minister’s condemnation of the “offensive” comments and calling on him to apologise. Senator Leyonhjelm said Mr Turnbull and Bill Shorten had failed to acknowledge that misandry was as bad a misogyny.

"Malcolm should stop being such a pussy," Senator Leyonhjelm told The Australian.

"The broader issue is that misandry is just as serious as misogyny. I have heard Turnbull and Shorten criticising misogyny I think they should think about why they aren’t also calling out misandry.

"He should stop being such a pussy, he is listening to the anti-misogynists but he is not listening to the anti-misandrists."

Truly the gift that just keeps on giving.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

cheese-cube posted:

lol when did this go down, like right now?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Hahahahahaha, keep digging you libertarian gently caress.

How many more days until he becomes “embattled” Senator David Leyonhjelm?

Though that probably won’t happen. If anything it’ll increase his share of senate votes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I thought syphilis was treatable?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He's going to get every single worthless fuckwit in the state ticking his name.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

JBP posted:

lol when did this go down, like right now?

Yeah pretty much.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gotta make a play for the coveted MRA demo

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Beetphyxious posted:

I thought syphilis was treatable?

Neurosyphilis can be treated, but it may still cause permanent brain damage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheese-cube posted:

Holy poo poo

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
It'd be good to register thearsetralian.com.au as a parody site, but effort.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

He's going to get every single worthless fuckwit in the state ticking his name.

Yeah, this.

Better hope SHY wins and causes him to become a bankrupt, cause otherwise he’ll probably win his seat back

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Senor Tron posted:

I was at Adelaide Uni while SHY was at the height of student politics stuff, and the general approach she took annoyed the hell out of me. That said the couple of brief times I've actually met her she has been nice and she's spent a long time fighting the good fighting when it comes to refugees.

She’s been in Parliament 10 years. And her ‘general’ approach isn’t much more details on what’s she does wrong, beyond being a women. Anyone who is in student politics does things they would do not donnow- that shouldn’t count for anything now.

She’s going to sue for defermation and lionhelms going to keep digging until his lawyers get a gag on him.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

I always thought I was about to have a schizoid embolism when SHY was on because it was like being mentally assaulted by every single student politics lecture invader at once.

Permabanned poster Greensstomper here,

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

send anyone who was involved in student politics to death camps imo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

quote:

Senator Leyonhjelm said Mr Turnbull and Bill Shorten had failed to acknowledge that misandry was as bad a misogyny.

This was a line that actually appeared in a published article. gently caress me dead

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

How will the liberal party launder their donations if everything is tracked though?

Cool rule of thumb: the rules never apply to them ~♪

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Comstar posted:

She’s been in Parliament 10 years. And her ‘general’ approach isn’t much more details on what’s she does wrong, beyond being a women. Anyone who is in student politics does things they would do not donnow- that shouldn’t count for anything now.

She’s going to sue for defermation and lionhelms going to keep digging until his lawyers get a gag on him.

She used all of the Student Association money to fund her grandstanding trips to the detention centres in the mid north, where she would give speeches straight to the media she invited, to the point that the student newspaper nearly had to shut down for lack of money to continue printing. Her job as the president of the Student Association was to ensure all the student organisations got the money they needed to operate, not to spend it all on herself, and that's why you won't find anyone who went to Adelaide Uni when she was there who has anything good to say about her. Has nothing to do with her being a woman, and everything to do with her being a self serving rear end in a top hat who infiltrated the Greens like a modern strain of the Cheryl Kernot virus.

People take the piss out of RDN for being a bourgie with his underpaid au paire, or Rhiannon and her splits, but SHY is so much worse than that.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 3, 2018

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

She used all of the Student Association money to fund her grandstanding trips to the detention centres in the mid north, where she would give speeches straight to the media she invited, to the point that the student newspaper nearly had to shut down for lack of money to continue printing. Her job as the president of the Student Association was to ensure all the student organisations got the money they needed to operate, not to spend it all on herself, and that's why you won't find anyone who went to Adelaide Uni when she was there who has anything good to say about her. Has nothing to do with her being a woman, and everything to do with her being a self serving rear end in a top hat who infiltrated the Greens like a modern strain of the Cheryl Kernot virus.

People take the piss out of RDN for being a bourgie with his underpaid au paire, or Rhiannon and her splits, but SHY is so much worse than that.

And if you need confirmation that this sort of behaviour hasn't changed. See her tax payer funded excursions to the Great Australian Bight.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

IIRC, Sarah Hanson-Young has stood for every leadership position at every Greens party room meeting whenever the issue of leadership was raised, every singe time. Not sure on this one, don't quote me on that but I'm fairly sure it came from a reliable source a while back.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Aesculus posted:

IIRC, Sarah Hanson-Young has stood for every leadership position at every Greens party room meeting whenever the issue of leadership was raised, every singe time. Not sure on this one, don't quote me on that but I'm fairly sure it came from a reliable source a while back.

why is it a bad thing that she's ambitious

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Aesculus posted:

And?

Ambition isn't a bad thing?

^ efb.

blindidiotgod fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 3, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

blindidiotgod posted:

And?

yeah but you see she's a woman

and I don't want to gently caress her,

so she should just be quiet and go away

- Dudes.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

blindidiotgod posted:

And?

^ efb.

it be a grievous fault, sic semper tyrannis

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
AusPol told me Anthony Albanese is a leftist hero and it turns out he is bad, so I'm pretty sure that means thread villain SHY is actually awesome and this whole thing with Sexist Hat Man certainly helps that theory.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Gluten Freeman posted:

why is it a bad thing that she's ambitious

Because grabbing power for the sake of wanting to have power is poo poo mostly. Basically:

Birdstrike posted:

it be a grievous fault, sic semper tyrannis

but unironically

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Standing up for power at every opportunity doesn't sound like ambition, it sounds like being a huge idiot narcissist.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I honestly put myself forward for every promotion I have a chance of getting, but it's not because I'm a greedy narcissist, it's because all my co workers are brainless morons and I want more money. It's an important distinction idk maybe SHY is in the same boat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like the kind of person who grabs for power without actually having an idea or concern for responsibility. Though who knows what the org is like. I was reminded of Shaun King in the US, who apparently has a history of starting activist organisations, refusing to delegate, then flaking out when people start needing him to actually be in charge.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

quote:

The new system will require welfare recipients, including those in receipt of the age pension, disability pension and rent assistance, to take a photo of themselves using a camera or mobile phone and upload it to the government site.

It will then be compared to an official form of ID, such as a passport or driver’s licence, to confirm the claimant’s identity and allow the user to access their online account in order to claim their benefits. Government officials also hope it will make it harder for anyone attempting to fraudulently claim benefits to do so.

Anybody else see a flaw in this plan?

I know someone who is on a disability pension, doesn't have a drivers licence, passport or any other 'official' form of photo ID and will have a real hard time getting one. That poo poo is absolutely hosed and is going to seriously gently caress over a bunch of people for no reason (yes, I know that's the whole point).

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There's also the typical bias of facial recognition software to the race of the people developing it, so even if they have ID minorities (indigenous) are going to be even more disadvantaged when the software can't see their face and a human operator intervention is required which, as per the CCS activity testing, will take loving weeks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

‘My free reusable bag’: Coles customer steals shopping basket to protest plastic bag ban

ONE unhappy Coles customer has taken “plastic bag rage” to a new level, revealing their new “free reusable bag”.

A DISGRUNTLED Coles customer has stolen a “reusable” shopping basket to protest the supermarket’s plastic bag ban.

The customer posted a photo of their haul to Coles’ Facebook page, where many have voiced their displeasure at the ban. “I’ll leave my free reusable bag out the front for your collection, Coles,” the shopper wrote, adding a smiley face emoji.

Another shopper went even further, loading an entire trolley into the back of their car. “No bag, no problem? We’ll take the trolley,” Eddie Nahri said in a video posted to Facebook, which went viral after being reposted by the Humans of Bankstown page.

“Leb in Sydney taking action,” he wrote in the original post. “They can come collect their trolley from my street. Lol. I’m creating jobs!”

One woman warned she had been reported to the police once for doing the same thing. “Got pulled over that night and made to report to the police station the next day,” Louise Mechin said.

“When I returned said trolley I was barred for life from the store. So I did what anyone would do... Went back there the next day and did some shopping.”

Other shoppers accused the supermarkets of hypocrisy due to the abundance of plastic packaging on the majority of products, and of profiteering by charging for reusable options when lightweight plastic bags were previously handed out for free.

“Hypocrites,” Phil Youraz said. “Get rid of all plastic. It’s a money-making scam.”

Kheila Warheart posted a photo of photo of plastic-wrapped “Kids Pack” bananas. “Absolute lies,” she said. “If you really cared you wouldn’t do things like this. It doesn’t take two years come on! You haven’t listened to us at all. No more pre-packaged produce! We want paper bags!”

Nicky Laughton took issue with individually wrapped banana bread slices. “Please. You can’t tell us to bring our own bags and then have shelves full of cake slices with this presentation,” she said. “Children are advised to bring ‘nude’ food to school but this is horrendous waste.”

Kata Carruthers said her 15c reusable bag had already broken. “Awesome, I received a free recycled bag last night when shopping,” she said. “I lifted it to get the groceries out. 80 per cent recycled material, half full, 100 per cent useless. Luckily I only lifted it up so all the meat landed in the boot of the car.”

A Coles spokesperson replied: “We’re very sorry to see this. These bags are intended to be long lasting and be reused many times, so we’re very sorry to see this wasn’t the case this time.

“We’ll let our Quality Team know about this so they’re aware of this issue and we’d suggest you return to your local store so the bag can be replaced. We’re very sorry for the disappointment.”

Meanwhile, Woolworths customers have also complained that their 15c “reusable” bags aren’t so reusable after all, posting photos on social media of torn and punctured bags.

“So much for the reusable plastic bags,” Sharon Linsley said. “I only went to Woolworths yesterday at Glendale. One use and they have holes already. So these will become single use bags. So much for the environment. I am really disappointed with the bags.”

Trace Stevens said the new bags were “useless” as the handles break and “you’re left with struggling to grab the bag before it hits the ground as groceries fall out”.

“If we are to pay for this rubbish then it needs to be improved to at least hold groceries in them,” she said. “I relied on your plastic bags but never again, they should be free seen as they are of such poor quality.”

Gabby Newman said while she commended Woolworths on replacing single-use plastic bags, she wanted to know how long the new 15c bags would take to break down.

“I have to buy lots as I cannot carry them as full as your operators fill them and I have a bag that I paid for (prior to the complimentary period) which after one use is now torn,” she said.

“This means your operators will refuse to use it. I will have to throw it away into landfill and I’m hoping it will break down faster than the single-use bags.”

She said she hoped she wouldn’t have to replace the bags weekly as she spent over $250. “I am trying to purchase the 99c bag but this eats into our budget. Two bags is equal to a 2L milk.”

It comes as Coles and Woolworths attempt to address “plastic bag rage”. As of Sunday, single-use plastic bags have been banned in all states and territories except NSW and Victoria.

The supermarkets took the initiative by removing them from their entire store networks, with Woolworths getting in 10 days early on June 20. Despite roughly three quarters of shoppers claiming to support the ban, the move has sparked a customer backlash.

In one extreme case, the union representing retail workers, the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees’ Association, said a staff member at Woolworths at Mandurah in Western Australia was assaulted by a customer angry about the plastic bag ban.

“We received a report that a guy at a self-serve checkout at Woolworths became unhappy about there being no single-use plastic bags,” Ben Harris from the SDA told Yahoo7. “A female staff member handed him a free reusable bag.”

He said the man then accidentally scanned an item twice. “The man then walked up behind the woman and put his hands around her throat,” he said. The incident was reported to police and Woolworths banned the customer from the store.

“The safety of our team is of the utmost importance and we do not tolerate abusive behaviour towards them in any circumstance,” Woolworths state general manager Karl Weber said in a statement.

“We’ve been offering our full support to the team member and will continue to do so. We’ve also been in contact with police and will assist with investigations if any further action is taken.”

According to the SDA, 85 per cent of its members have experienced abuse from customers at work. The union, while supporting the “positive change for the environment”, has warned members of their rights about handling unhygienic reusable bags.

“In some cases, customers have also attempted to use bags which contained vomit, dirty nappies or rat faeces,” SDA national secretary Gerard Dwyer said in a statement on Sunday.

“This is obviously unacceptable and presents a serious health risk to retail staff. We ask that shoppers check the condition of the bags they intend to use prior to presenting them to retail staff.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...ign=EditorialSF

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone want to draw goatse stretching Australia in the form of the logo of The Australian? It's for The Arsetralian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

Anyone want to draw goatse stretching Australia in the form of the logo of The Australian? It's for The Arsetralian.

Tasmania can be the ring

• Locked thread