Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

are there any systems which would handle a Gotenks-style fusion of player characters particularly well? this is more a curiosity thing than anything, I'm wondering how games handle stuff like that.

Battle Century G has rules for combined PC mecha, of a couple different sorts. Basically they act as a sort of backup plan that allows a team that's taken a beating to fuse, gain a new shared HP pool, and keep fighting with most of their capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Countblanc posted:

are there any systems which would handle a Gotenks-style fusion of player characters particularly well? this is more a curiosity thing than anything, I'm wondering how games handle stuff like that.

Fellowship's The Pair playbook involves playing two characters who are significantly stronger when working together. It'd be very easy to play them as two separate people who fuse into one greater one, a la Gotenks or Garnet.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I asked a friend if he ever played anything besides 5th edition, he said he played "one of those dnd ripoffs" a while ago

I found out later he was talking about shadowrun ????

I do my best to not be king grognard but c'mon

This is happens way too often and is infuriating to run into.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 2, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1013624931446239232

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember a key thing about DBZ fusions is that power wise they're total upgrades, but personality wise they tend to be liabilities because they magnify the component persons' traits.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember a key thing about DBZ fusions is that power wise they're total upgrades, but personality wise they tend to be liabilities because they magnify the component persons' traits.

Sounds like a hilarious time all around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like a hilarious time all around.

Oh my yes. Probably the best thing about the Buu Saga.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blockhouse posted:

so the dead apostles then

Unless that Tsukihime remake ever comes out I will continue to consider it early 2000s :colbert:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i want to play ars magicka so gd bad

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

kingcom posted:

This is happens way too often and is infuriating to run into.

It's understandable. Everyone knows D&D, it's almost invariably their introduction to the hobby, and the structure of the game strongly encourages long campaigns. Once you start, there's no obvious reason to look elsewhere, because that's "just what the hobby is."

I ran into a similar problem running a game for some tweens and teens who were interested in roleplaying. Dungeons & Dragons 5e was not going to be the best fit for them, and I told them as much at the outset and offered to run something that would better suit them, but they were dead-set on D&D. I'm sloooowly getting them to try other games, but it's taken nearly two years to get to that point, and this is with kids who have all the free time in the world and low attention spans. With adults who have no interest in learning something new, it's easy to default to "there's other stuff, but it's a ripoff of D&D and I don't need to care about it."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It doesn't help that about half the "other stuff" that's immediately adjacent to D&D are D&D clones of various stripes, while the other half of things that get passing mentions in D&D discussions are just as splatbook-intensive and running on systems that are 20+ years old at this point.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

It doesn't help that about half the "other stuff" that's immediately adjacent to D&D are D&D clones of various stripes, while the other half of things that get passing mentions in D&D discussions are just as splatbook-intensive and running on systems that are 20+ years old at this point.

I think part of that is intentional, no? Like, trying to capture the massive market by appealing to the DnD masses with nifty taglines "It's like DnD, but with BETTER ROLEPLAYING" or, "Imagine DnD but good!"
Easier to sell that than to sell "It's like DnD, but it's sci fi, and it's not using a D20, and instead of attacking hit points, you just do stunts that have verbose outcomes" or whatever else. Too much 'other' just makes people turn off.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be fair, I wouldn't immediately scoff at someone considering Shadowrun to be a "D&D knockoff" because, I mean, it's a game where you take your party of elves, dwarves, orcs, wizards, and fighters into (corporate) dungeons to loot the place, get more money, and spend it to get better at looting bigger dungeons. Like I wouldn't seriously try to claim that Shadowrun is literally 1-1 just D&D with the serial numbers filed off but I can easily understand how someone's actual play experience with both games might lead them to think "yeah these are pretty similar."

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't immediately scoff at someone considering Shadowrun to be a "D&D knockoff" because, I mean, it's a game where you take your party of elves, dwarves, orcs, wizards, and fighters into (corporate) dungeons to loot the place, get more money, and spend it to get better at looting bigger dungeons. Like I wouldn't seriously try to claim that Shadowrun is literally 1-1 just D&D with the serial numbers filed off but I can easily understand how someone's actual play experience with both games might lead them to think "yeah these are pretty similar."

It doesn't help things when you get into other games where "I attack thing for x hp damage" isn't the main function of the game, and people are still trying to match up "but what is my sword attack modifier?" or whatever. DnD is learned behaviour which can be hard to break for other people, so for them "oh these 11 D6 are just my D20 for this roll" is just another type of DnD action.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I think the problem is more in how DnD is synonymous with "pen&paper/tabletop roleplaying" instead of just "DnD",
which creates the problem due to how massively it distorts whatever kind of experience one can and might want to have.

The problem of course gets exercerbated as those who grew up with DnD and itīs derivatives like Vampire et Al. now are in position to bringt their experience,
as flawed and inane as it might have been, to both the big screen as well as the small screen.

Not to be misunderstood, Iīm not saying itīs bad that people are more visibly roleplaying and the podcasts are great, and some of those shows are great,
but its basically creating what amounts to bad expectations and confers a very different image of what roleplaying as a whole can be.

Which is so much more than DnD ever even tried to provide. Itīs like this blast from the past is trying to drag down roleplaying screaming and kicking
back into the 70s to hunt for a perceived ideal state of gaming that never even existed in the first place, because it was all poo poo made up along the way...

Man, I donīt know either, Iīm just sad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"I'm not saying it's bad just that D&D being popular makes me sad"

y'all are weird about D&D

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

If D&D was good it wouldn't be an issue.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think there's a vast gulf between "I don't like this thing" and "I don't like this thing and no one should like it because people liking it is actively hampering my enjoyment of this hobby"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Blockhouse posted:

I think there's a vast gulf between "I don't like this thing" and "I don't like this thing and no one should like it because people liking it is actively hampering my enjoyment of this hobby"

Yeah but 'Hey I wanna play this game-' "can we not just keep playing DnD until the day we loving die?" '....I guess.'

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

Come on dude, it's really not that fuckin hard to figure out that the sorts of people who are going to be into RPGs enough to post about them on Something Awful Dot Com are probably the sorts of people who'd enjoy it if D&D wasn't considered the go-to game for most groups, organized play events, and the source of numerous "all new original games" which are just D&D But Better because poo poo gets old after a while. Back before designer boardgaming really took off and blossomed big, I remember a period where if someone said "hey do you want to play boardgames?" what that meant was "do you want to play Settlers of Catan or Risk?" Maybe, maybe someone had heard of Carcassonne, but otherwise that was about it and it was, y'know, all right for what it was at the time but boy howdy I guarantee you that if all the boardgame nights and meetups I've gone to were nothing but people wanting to play Settlers and Risk (or Munchkin, say) over and over and over again, I'd consider complaining about it on a dead comedy forum from time to time too. I've played enough Settlers to last me a lifetime, I'm good there.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Like I said, DNDPTSD. Forces you to make weird cheese metaphors and stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kai Tave posted:

Come on dude, it's really not that fuckin hard to figure out that the sorts of people who are going to be into RPGs enough to post about them on Something Awful Dot Com are probably the sorts of people who'd enjoy it if D&D wasn't considered the go-to game for most groups, organized play events, and the source of numerous "all new original games" which are just D&D But Better because poo poo gets old after a while. Back before designer boardgaming really took off and blossomed big, I remember a period where if someone said "hey do you want to play boardgames?" what that meant was "do you want to play Settlers of Catan or Risk?" Maybe, maybe someone had heard of Carcassonne, but otherwise that was about it and it was, y'know, all right for what it was at the time but boy howdy I guarantee you that if all the boardgame nights and meetups I've gone to were nothing but people wanting to play Settlers and Risk (or Munchkin, say) over and over and over again, I'd consider complaining about it on a dead comedy forum from time to time too. I've played enough Settlers to last me a lifetime, I'm good there.

Okay but you're posting on the internet. How many people on this dead comedy forum are running non-D&D games? How about roll20? How bout all the other ways to find a pick up game of whatever you're into? The resources are there and the games are there. unless playing online is a complete dealbreaker in which case! I dunno!

I''ve never had a problem getting people together online for whatever dumb bullshit I want to run. Sure gaming with strangers online is a dice roll but the same goes for in person.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lurdiak posted:

If D&D was good it wouldn't be an issue.

It is good, or at least most of the editions that aren't 3rd or 5th that is

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Blockhouse posted:

"I don't like this thing and no one should like it because people liking it is actively hampering my enjoyment of this hobby"
But enough about some of the most vocal figures in the so called OSR movement.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool_of_sound posted:

Like I said, DNDPTSD. Forces you to make weird cheese metaphors and stuff.
Nobody forced me to do anything. I make weird cheese metaphors of my own free will.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Spiteski posted:

I think part of that is intentional, no? Like, trying to capture the massive market by appealing to the DnD masses with nifty taglines "It's like DnD, but with BETTER ROLEPLAYING" or, "Imagine DnD but good!"
Easier to sell that than to sell "It's like DnD, but it's sci fi, and it's not using a D20, and instead of attacking hit points, you just do stunts that have verbose outcomes" or whatever else. Too much 'other' just makes people turn off.

It's intentional, yes. The ubiquity of D&D means you're inevitably going compare every other pen and paper rpg to it. And then there's a pretty large slice of D&D players that think if they put the time into formatting their houserules into a book, it'll sell like gangbusters and maybe even unseat D&D itself!

Blockhouse posted:

Okay but you're posting on the internet. How many people on this dead comedy forum are running non-D&D games? How about roll20? How bout all the other ways to find a pick up game of whatever you're into? The resources are there and the games are there. unless playing online is a complete dealbreaker in which case! I dunno!

I''ve never had a problem getting people together online for whatever dumb bullshit I want to run. Sure gaming with strangers online is a dice roll but the same goes for in person.

Regarding roll20, they post quarterly stats on who is reporting to run/play different kinds games. I think this is their most recent one? http://blog.roll20.net/post/174833007355/the-orr-group-industry-report-q1-2018

What they show is people are overwhelmingly playing D&D 5e, D&D 3.5e, or Pathfinder. They'll also have small spikes when they feature certain games for their master series of actual-plays. It's possible to get other games going, certainly, but getting internet strangers to jump in does get harder the further from D&D you move. I don't think it's wrong or bad for people to like D&D or any derived game. I can see how it being a dominant force would teach particular gaming habits or behaviors that make it hard for tabletop rpgs to grow beyond dungeon crawling adventures, but a lot of recent indie games have become influential enough that I think it's much less of a concern now than it was 5 or 10 years ago.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Blockhouse posted:

"I don't like this thing and no one should like it because people liking it is actively hampering my enjoyment of this hobby"

The issue isn't that nobody should like D&D - It's that better games wither in its shade while it coasts on brand-recognition momentum.

Which is actually hampering the hobby as a whole, yes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

D&D is the Monopoly of RPG's, the face of the industry and the wall that tells people "you shall go no further, this is as good as it gets."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's Monopoly but without Monopoly's justification for why it sucks. :rip:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was thinking more World of Warcraft, but that works too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

moths posted:

The issue isn't that nobody should like D&D - It's that better games wither in its shade while it coasts on brand-recognition momentum.

Which is actually hampering the hobby as a whole, yes.

I guess my question then is: is it? In like an actual provable way not based on anecdotal evidence?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

remusclaw posted:

D&D is the Monopoly of RPG's, the face of the industry and the wall that tells people "you shall go no further, this is as good as it gets."
And yet look at all the other board games that exist and thrive out there. Almost like production values and advertising are important parts of selling A Thing! :thunk:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blockhouse posted:

I guess my question then is: is it? In like an actual provable way not based on anecdotal evidence?

Which part did you want evidence on? The ubiquity of D&D, that it "coasts by" on name recognition, that it's a bad game, that there are better games, that other games are overshadowed by it, or that its ubiquity hampers the hobby?

Also what do you consider evidence? Sales figures?

I'm wondering because that'll all impact how people respond.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

And yet look at all the other board games that exist and thrive out there. Almost like production values and advertising are important parts of selling A Thing! :thunk:

it's funny because the people who realize need to pay attention to high-quality production values and marketing are folks like Paizo and Monte Cook, so you do end up with moderately popular RPG alternatives such as ... Numenera and Pathfinder!!!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Blockhouse posted:

Given how the industry shuns all market research, that's unanswerable.

But yes. Looking at the dearth of competitors who survive even two years, D&D can safely claim a stranglehold on RPGs. Their only profitable rival has been Pathfinder, which is still D&D sold under a different brand.

It's basically the same problem any third political party faces in a two-party system. You need to achieve a critical level of popularity to be viable, but that's impossible while the status quo remains acceptably mediocre.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was thinking more World of Warcraft, but that works too.

I mean, I'm no fan of WoW, but Blizz actually sometimes takes input from the player base and makes moves to improve upon their old-as-poo poo base game and implement quality-of-life upgrades.

D&D doesn't. Or, when they try, they just get the player base screeching at them until they stop.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can't speak to WoW specifically but most of the time when Blizzard listens to their playerbase it's really bad for their games.

You can complain about top-down decisions ignoring the democratic will or complain about the democratic will not liking what the minority likes, but complaining about both at once (at least on principle) is an unsolvable problem.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 3, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
People that play videogames have no idea what they actually want it's kind of amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

World of Warcraft is better than any competitor except for FF 14 (after the reboot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think the usual retort is that the playerbase can be useful for identifying what they don't like, but you shouldn't really rely on them for how to fix the issue.