Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What

https://twitter.com/DebKilroy/status/1014035941751549952

This isn't being reported anywhere yet, does anyone know any more info?

This is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

trunkh posted:

And if you need confirmation that this sort of behaviour hasn't changed. See her tax payer funded excursions to the Great Australian Bight.

But this was a beat-up though. She went down there to host community forums, meet with businesses and draw attention to the Bight. This was entirely within her remit as a parliamentarian. It wasn't even bad, let alone anywhere near the large-scale rorting we see from the Liberal party. How was this anything more than NewsCorp piling on?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gently caress, it's not every day a politician up and kills a department.

Les Affaires posted:

It might be that he's making a point about free speech or the onerosity of our defamation laws but it's a really risky and expensive way to make it.

You don't quite see: these guys are not just pampered, they have an imaginary friend worldview which demands that there be a reckoning of some sort, and he's just blind enough to think he'll get his day in court. Even if he doesn't, he still "wins" because the forces of evil were always going to somehow manipulate the legal system to attack him. You cannot reach someone like this, they are immune to reality.

cheese-cube posted:

Ahahahahhaaaaa https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...27938134f946a53

Truly the gift that just keeps on giving.

QED.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

quote:

Another shopper went even further, loading an entire trolley into the back of their car. “No bag, no problem? We’ll take the trolley,” Eddie Nahri said in a video posted to Facebook, which went viral after being reposted by the Humans of Bankstown page.

“Leb in Sydney taking action,” he wrote in the original post. “They can come collect their trolley from my street. Lol. I’m creating jobs!”
did a massive double take here because i thought it was my mum's most entertaining ex-boyfriend but it was two letters off

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

eddie the leb, the wisest man i've ever met

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

when i move back to sydney i'm definitely going to the western suburbs, gently caress the rest of it, especially gently caress the east (i say this as an ashkenazi jew)

greatest place on earth

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

pauline and her acolytes are completely hosed. they have absolutely no sense of fun. if it wasn't for the mediterranean-australians sydney wouldn't be poo poo. they are the most hilarious people and i love them all

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

thank you for reading, friends

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

resist the hard right

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Drink lots of water and eat something greasy in the morning

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

AgentF posted:

Drink lots of water and eat something greasy in the morning
friend,

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

avshalemon posted:

when i move back to sydney i'm definitely going to the western suburbs, gently caress the rest of it, especially gently caress the east (i say this as an ashkenazi jew)

greatest place on earth

it would be cruel to keep you there in summer though with such a thick coat

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

What

This is hosed.

gently caress everything about private prisons. Nope, nope, nope. Do NOT let that loving industry start here and get enough power to affect sentencing.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Intoluene posted:

gently caress everything about private prisons. Nope, nope, nope. Do NOT let that loving industry start here and get enough power to affect sentencing.

Serco already run a prison in WA (they don't own it, they just manage and administrate it) to prove that private run prisons can totally be a thing here. Its been on the agenda for a while now.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

GoldStandardConure posted:

Serco already run a prison in WA (they don't own it, they just manage and administrate it) to prove that private run prisons can totally be a thing here. Its been on the agenda for a while now.
Serco - At Least We're Not G4S`: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-05-05/wa-government-pleads-guilty-in-mr-ward-death/2706240

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1014052632392974338?s=19

:shrug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Legalise weed then it makes sense

I'll be too old for that anyway

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Andrew Bolt Wakes Up In Hell After Passing Out On The 86 To Northcote

Southside columnist and Sky News television presenter Andrew Bolt, woke up in the early hours of this morning inside the bowels of his own personal hell after getting on the 86 outside his Docklands office – where he quickly passed out.

Initial reports suggest the conservative commentator was only planning to get the tram across the river to meet friends for dinner at Melbourne’s fabled Bourke Street Mall.

However, it wasn’t meant to be.

As the 86 slithered its way past the relative safety of Parliament Station and into the city’s wild north, the tram rocked the 58-year-old deeper and deeper to sleep.

Speaking to the non-taxpayer-funded media this afternoon, Bolt conceded that it was a ‘miracle’ that he made it through Fitzroy’s morally bankrupt Gertrude/Brunswick/Smith Street district at such a late hour unscathed.

“It’s almost a year to the day since I was attacked by masked cowards in Carlton North,” said Bolt, outside the Sky News Building in Melbourne’s conservative ‘green zone’ in Docklands.

“I’m not a fool, I know that it’s just a matter of time until somebody else tries to have a go at me. I try to mitigate these risks, somewhat. I don’t live in fear but I’m not about to paint a target on my back by having dinner with Rowan Dean at Naked For Satan of an evening’s time,”

“But last night, I made an error that could’ve ended poorly for me. Old Boltaroony could’ve been a goner.”

In a segment of his show tonight that’s since been cut by a Sky News executive producer left skittish by the recent controversy storm smothering the news media organisation, Bolt described what happened when he finally came to.

He said a mild panic swept over him like waves over drunk wallowing in the shallows of a Portsea beach.

“I thought to myself, ‘Jesus wept. I might have to fight my way out of here,’ but then I suddenly realised just how deep I was north,” he delivered deadpan to the camera.

“As I alighted from the tram, I looked up to Northcote Social Club. A place I’d only read about. A place where young men and women go to ‘hook up’ and listen to music. It was like I was looking into the eyes of Colonel Walter E. Kurtz himself. Deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness the 86 doth taketh!”

“The denizens of that suburb that good taste and Jesus forgot, began to cotton on to who I was. A crowd began to form and the hairs on the back of my neck stood like cactus spikes! My fists clenched. I beckoned the first to have a go, I was ready!”

“But then one collarless young man told me to gently caress off back to Prahran before walking away. I seized my chance and hailed a taxi. There, once back inside the safe warm bosom of that Ford Falcon, I felt safe. The nostalgic whirl of the Falcon transmission was a comfort. Told the cab driver that I was concerned about my safety up here, to not stop at traffic lights in case the unthinkable happened. In case I got Tupac’d.”

Bolt then said the taxi driver told him to take the serial-number-less Smith & Wesson .38 Detective Special from the centre console and start loading it.

Unfortunately, the Sky News board decided to stop him there.

Both Bolt and Sky News refused to comment on the matter further.

More to come.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/advocate-in-focus/andrew-bolt-wakes-up-in-hell-after-passing-out-on-the-86-to-northcote/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

yeah but you see she's a woman

and I don't want to gently caress her,

so she should just be quiet and go away

- Dudes.

Yeah because when Alex Hawke and poo poo do this we clap our hands and applaud their aspirations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

What

This is hosed.

What the gently caress

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish you'd put the url first because half of these are completely plausible for the first six paragraphs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

What the gently caress

Queensland can't shake off it's history of being a police state

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I had to educate a few of my colleagues today that Sarah Hanson Young never said that all men are rapists and was on the right side of the Leyjonhelm shitfight. Last week it was about the whale watching thing. Everyone is just so ready to believe anything bad about SHY seemingly at the drop of a hat.I don't care if she was some serial careerist back in the day or whatever. Someone who's so consistently on the right side of politics deserves the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She said men are pigs and morons in the sense that there were men who were pigs and morons and the thinnest skinned blowhard fuckhead in Australia got mad.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AgentF posted:

I had to educate a few of my colleagues today that Sarah Hanson Young never said that all men are rapists and was on the right side of the Leyjonhelm shitfight. Last week it was about the whale watching thing. Everyone is just so ready to believe anything bad about SHY seemingly at the drop of a hat.I don't care if she was some serial careerist back in the day or whatever. Someone who's so consistently on the right side of politics deserves the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

This. She is undeniably in the right on this.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Yeah because when Alex Hawke and poo poo do this we clap our hands and applaud their aspirations.

Oh you mean the same Alex Hawke that nobody in this thread has ever prattled on about for 4 pages (or talked about at all to my recollection shut the gently caress up)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Oh you mean the same Alex Hawke that nobody in this thread has ever prattled on about for 4 pages (or talked about at all to my recollection shut the gently caress up)

You addressed a specific example and Hawke isnt caught in a fight with an imbecile on tv right now. Keep posting that shy isnt someone dudes want to gently caress though you weirdo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sarah Hanson Young aspirations; automatically good because no one wants to gently caress her. Another well thought out and meaningful post by Don Dongington.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today I told my mum that when something so atrocious was said that the press are refusing to repeat it because it might cause legal issues, perhaps that's a good indication that she's not "overreacting" or that "the truth is in the middle".

It's entirely possible to be unlikeable, ruthlessly self-promoting AND completely right about Leyonhjelm being profoundly out of line, and perhaps his comments do reveal a low opinion of women in general... Which is a problem when half the population of the state you're elected to represent are women.

Edit: And yes, I'd argue having hosed up ideas about women does render you unsuitable for office, but nobody living in their bubble huffing misogynist farts would ever acknowledge or admit to that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm going to feign shock when Leyonhjelm buddies up with Milo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's already done the Milo besties thing, unless you mean more formally.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can feign shock last year then.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/al-shabaab-plastic-bag-ban/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

He's already done the Milo besties thing, unless you mean more formally.

I did, yeah

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://medium.com/leyonhjelm/media-statement-fdf779b06426

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Why does he hate free speech so much.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tony Abbott has urged Malcolm Turnbull to follow Donald Trump's lead and ditch the commitments made under the Paris climate agreements, signed by Mr Abbott himself when he was prime minister.

The former PM now says he never anticipated the climate change reduction targets he signed up would be binding.But he was immediately repudiated by one of his supporters - junior minister Angus Taylor - who said Australia would honour its international agreements.

Delivering the 2018 Bob Carter Commemorative Lecture in Melbourne, Mr Abbott said he had never thought reducing greenhouse gas emissions was worth doing, unless it could be done at a modest cost.

He said despite the rate of carbon in the atmosphere increasing from 300 to 400 parts per million there had been no "dramatic consequences" on the climate.

"Storms are not more severe; droughts are not more prolonged; floods are not greater; and fires are not more intense than a century ago – despite  hyperventilating reportage and over-the-top claims from Green politicians," the former prime minister said.

"Sea levels have hardly risen and temperatures are still below those of the medieval warm period.

"Over time, temperature change seems to correlate rather more with sun spot activity than with carbon dioxide levels," he claimed.
This autumn was Australia's fourth-hottest in more than a century of data according to the Bureau of Meteorology.

But Mr Abbott said the public was" inclined to believe that something is happening" "and that "something needs to be done" because they are "egged on by media scare stories and attention-seeking academics".

"But our children won’t thank us when their power bills keep soaring and their jobs keep going offshore in a futile bid to make the world imperceptibly cooler," he said.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Stop fighting climate change, for the children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Those loafers are loving atrocious
e. Milo's shoes are poo poo too :dadjoke:

• Locked thread