Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Bleach got bad the minute they left the real world for the Soul Society, it just took awhile for its problems to fully surface.

A lot of the issues present in Hueco Mundo were also present in the Soul Society, just less pronounced, less obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a lot of that stuff would have been fine if it had happened once instead of every arc. like the little character arc during ichigo's fight with kenpachi would be perfectly fine on its own, but instead it gets repeated constantly after soul society

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Bleach got bad the minute they left the real world for the Soul Society, it just took awhile for its problems to fully surface.

A lot of the issues present in Hueco Mundo were also present in the Soul Society, just less pronounced, less obvious.

I do think that a lot of Bleach's fundamental mistakes are traceable to things introduced in Soul Society: too many characters in too effectively small a world, Aizen's overpoweredness and plans that don't really make much sense making other fights/characters/plotlines feel pointless (and after Aizen was defeated Kubo introduced a villain with even worse effects on the plot with Yhwach), and the shikai/bankai system leading to an overly rigid structure for fights (whoever is the last to use their full power wins, basically). But I think what really exacerbated the problem was Kubo sort of running out of ideas and repeating himself. So you and Manatee Cannon are both right to an extent.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The thing that always struck me as Kubo's biggest issue is he always felt like an artist first, who wasn't necessarily the worst writer in the world but that clearly wasn't his strength. He introduces some cool concepts and manages to pull two or three really good arcs out of it, but can't go much further than that. Great at designing fun, unique, interesting-looking characters, and a lot of them are pretty memorable for their personalities as well, but introducing all those Soul Society captains and vice captains and not-quite-vice-captains and having 98% of them stick around and continue to be important for the rest of the series was absolutely the wrong call. Bleach was almost definitely not meant to go nearly as long as it did. About halfway into Hueco Mundo you could tell he was starting to be more or less over it and started phoning it in even on the art.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I do think that a lot of Bleach's fundamental mistakes are traceable to things introduced in Soul Society: too many characters in too effectively small a world, Aizen's overpoweredness and plans that don't really make much sense making other fights/characters/plotlines feel pointless (and after Aizen was defeated Kubo introduced a villain with even worse effects on the plot with Yhwach), and the shikai/bankai system leading to an overly rigid structure for fights (whoever is the last to use their full power wins, basically). But I think what really exacerbated the problem was Kubo sort of running out of ideas and repeating himself. So you and Manatee Cannon are both right to an extent.
More or less. Soul Society scrapes by on its novelty, the way the world expands and the stakes are raised. It's definitely a hindsight 20/20 thing. I won't claim to be somebody who always thought it was bad from the beginning, though little irritations emerged.

The decline of Bleach always depresses me because the first six or so volumes were really, really good. Memories in the Rain, in particular, was a great arc with a great villain and even some genuine emotional resonance. Then you get to the end of Soul Society and Ichigo's dad just straight up murks Grand Fisher outta nowhere in a single page.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TriffTshngo posted:

The thing that always struck me as Kubo's biggest issue is he always felt like an artist first, who wasn't necessarily the worst writer in the world but that clearly wasn't his strength. He introduces some cool concepts and manages to pull two or three really good arcs out of it, but can't go much further than that. Great at designing fun, unique, interesting-looking characters, and a lot of them are pretty memorable for their personalities as well, but introducing all those Soul Society captains and vice captains and not-quite-vice-captains and having 98% of them stick around and continue to be important for the rest of the series was absolutely the wrong call. Bleach was almost definitely not meant to go nearly as long as it did. About halfway into Hueco Mundo you could tell he was starting to be more or less over it and started phoning it in even on the art.

Kubo should just pair up with a writer and focus on doing character designs. The writer should also do the paneling so that he doesnt feel the need to fill up an entire page with white and a single black box or something

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kubo should do a series about fashion competitions.

No powers, no twists, just amateur designers and models competing for the title.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
One of the biggest minor problems of Bleach is that everyone can fly later on so all the fights just happen when they're standing in mid air and the environment isn't particularly important. It's easy to draw but feels really bland.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's not because they're flying, it's because kubo's lazy as gently caress. dbz has actual backgrounds during the midair stuff

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Kubo should do a series about fashion competitions.

No powers, no twists, just amateur designers and models competing for the title.

I guess it's time to use that pattern.

Ichigo, that flannel jacket you used to win the competition... was influenced by my subtle design!!!!

You see it's a layered statement because design can both mean like, the design of an outfit and Aizen's plan to become the Fashion King through his manipulation of Ichigo's actions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bleach could never have been good because kubo is incapable of good writing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kubo is an artist in need of a writer (maybe like Togashi).

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Bleach's main problem is the plot is bad and makes no sense and there's too many characters and almost every fight is loosely set up to be a Jojo's style puzzle fight but the resolution is always someone uses powerup+1 rather than actually outsmarting anyone. Bleach's strengths are it looks good, the characters are all cool, and some of the fights are really good (but mostly not ichigo fights). Now let's never speak of it again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The biggest problem is that he decided halfway through SS arc that these evil assholes were too popular with readers not to be ichigos pals.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Matt Lindland posted:

Now let's never speak of it again.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"I need to finish writing Hunter X Hunter. It has come to a point where either the story concludes first, or I die before that happens (lol). But I do intend to finish it."

:catstare:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s the second thing

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Don't worry, his death will just trigger his nen ability. Which will let him keep doing what he loves after death.

Playing Dragon Quest

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
New posts on HxH thread and you guys are talking about that garbage poo poo Bleach out of all mangas, god drat.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
Man, I watched HxH for the first time two months ago and fell in absolute love with it. Is there any chance of the 2011 anime being continued?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

SouljaBoyVEVO posted:

Man, I watched HxH for the first time two months ago and fell in absolute love with it. Is there any chance of the 2011 anime being continued?

We're less than halfway through the next arc, and on a hiatus.

So uh, no

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SouljaBoyVEVO posted:

Maybe in 5-10 years

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

Maybe in 5-10 years

This feels super optimistic even as a time frame for getting off the boat, much less having enough material for followup anime.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Animate each arc as it finishes

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

voltcatfish posted:

Animate each arc as it finishes

So next anime in 10-15 years?

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I’d settle for an OVA of the last major fight and the immediate aftermath.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mumbling posted:

I’d settle for an OVA of the last major fight and the immediate aftermath.

I would but I still remember the old HxH OVAs that had less animation than your average Speed Racer episode.

Then again, now we have a completely different and far more competent studio, so that shouldn't happen again...hopefully.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Whose hungry for more Hunter X Hunter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Jp9jdYmeI

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Since we're waiting again, there's this thought I had recently. What would happen if a female Nen user were to use Nen while pregnant? We know Aura Nodes can be forced opened, so this would probably open the nodes on the baby. But what effect would this have on the child? Would they be able to master Aura at a ridiculously young age?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

do you expect a fictional pediatrician to answer?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The answer is nothing because there's no way Killua's mom wasn't smoking dudes while pregnant and all her kids are basically normal. For given values of 'normal' in a psychotic assassin family.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just loving hire someone to draw it for you for fucks sake

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mulva posted:

The answer is nothing because there's no way Killua's mom wasn't smoking dudes while pregnant and all her kids are basically normal. For given values of 'normal' in a psychotic assassin family.

Killua IS mastering nen at a ridiculously young age tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if that were the case then gon and killua would not be so strange and unusual. there are not a ton of nen wunderkinds running around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tunicate posted:

karate kid from tournament tower was younger than killua and was training in nen before killua even knew it was a thing. his potential was lower too

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tunicate posted:

So was Gon, and other people we've seen. He wasn't like magically already awakened, he still needed to do the training. Zushi was younger than they were. He didn't pick it up as fast but again: Younger than they were. And Killua is better than some of his siblings. So it doesn't seem to matter at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if that were the case then gon and killua would not be so strange and unusual. there are not a ton of nen wunderkinds running around.

Even among nen wunderkids they're exceptional. They were also using nen instinctively long before being awakened.

And the zoldycks have five kids, at least three of which are ludicrously stonk.

Now you can argue the hereditary effect is purely genetic but there's no real way to tell the difference between the conditions of the pregnancy and DNA.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Milluki and who else?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Using nen while pregnant won't affect an unborn child cause you can't develop nen until you have a soul and that doesn't even start developing until about three or four years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Togashi is so dying before HxH is finished and we'll have to spend the rest of our lives hearing about how great it would have been