Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

actually this dovetails nicely with the whole 'people in medical fields are attracted to broken messes' bit that's come up earlier if she is a nurse; she's mad that he's not the helpless idiot she spent years of their relationship assuming he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this why all the 'entry-level' jobs ask for 5 years experience?

Nah, that’s just a trick to make people accept lower pay than they’re worth.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

quote:

But I also can’t help but look at him going to work sometimes and thinking I did everything “right”, he did everything “wrong”, why does he still get to win?!?

Because he cheated. :shrug:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Milotic posted:

I [24F] work my butt off to achieve what I want in life and feel like I’m coming up short. My husband [27M] seems to get through life with nothing but luck and a good poker face and it is making me bitter and jealous and I hate it.

Have you tried being a white male? Many people find it helps.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Brother Entropy posted:

actually this dovetails nicely with the whole 'people in medical fields are attracted to broken messes' bit that's come up earlier if she is a nurse; she's mad that he's not the helpless idiot she spent years of their relationship assuming he was

nah, he sounds he IS incompetent but is confident enough to be good at hiding it. He may or may not continue to get away with it, plenty do. She needs to decide if she's happy being with someone who is willing to gently caress everyone else over for their own benefit, which is more or less what he's doing by being an incompetent manager/person with authority over a bunch of hapless minions who probably hate him

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

nah, he sounds he IS incompetent but is confident enough to be good at hiding it. He may or may not continue to get away with it, plenty do. She needs to decide if she's happy being with someone who is willing to gently caress everyone else over for their own benefit, which is more or less what he's doing by being an incompetent manager/person with authority over a bunch of hapless minions who probably hate him

you are reading a lot into this story

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Milotic posted:

I [24F] work my butt off to achieve what I want in life and feel like I’m coming up short. My husband [27M] seems to get through life with nothing but luck and a good poker face and it is making me bitter and jealous and I hate it.

Save for some details this could be about me :sweatdrop: That poor guys has a rough married life ahead of him, that resentment doesn’t go away easily.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Project a little harder, fatkraken, I think there's people at the back of the room who still can't see it

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Maybe she just can't comprehend that for most people, life is not a carefully orchestrated plan that must be written out in advance with diagrams. To be honest the story has the whiff of bullshit to me anyway because of the way she denigrates him throughout as if he's literally Forrest Gump in a way that is difficult to credit. Did he actually join the military because Humvees are cool or was that a joke and she's a humourless automaton? Did he really go to job fairs for the "free food", or was that just a joke and he was, you know, going to job fairs to look for a job maybe??

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fatkraken posted:

who hurt you

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I think you get tax breaks for hiring veterans so there's that, too. Or maybe the guy trying to fill the position was in the army, too.

Reminds me of the OP who was losing her mind about how fake her husband was after he demonstrated the ability to socialize with strangers and excel at his job.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Milotic posted:

I love ones like these:

It sounds like you’ve got delusions of being the competent one in your marriage.

I know people like this and they all got sold down the river by their parents/society into the "6+ years at uni + 5+ years extreme hard work = lifetime of easy street" and it loving blows because that's not at all how it works out unless you become a surgeon

then people wonder why young folks are taking massive breaks or simply not going to university like buhhhh where's our workforce going whaaat

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TheScott2K posted:

As a mediocre STEMlord, thank loving God for interpersonal skills being so much more important than remembering how to do eigenvalues and poo poo.

:hfive: from your lips to Gods ears

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Billy can pass the Professional Engineer's exam with his eyes closed and can recite the wall thicknesses of both Schedule 80 and Schedule 40 pipe. Joey knows what the Hose Parts Guy's favorite baseball team is.

Joey > Billy

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milotic posted:

I love ones like these:

It sounds like you’ve got delusions of being the competent one in your marriage.

quote:

I braced myself for the inevitable crash and burn. It never happened. He did everything wrong and he got promoted!! I asked him a couple months in how he was possibly getting by at work, and he told me he just kinda pretends he knows what he is talking about. He. Got. Promoted.

He’s making almost three times what I do.

:owned:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Help! My husband has made us financially secure and he doesn't seem to have any delusions about his own excellence!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Billy can pass the Professional Engineer's exam with his eyes closed and can recite the wall thicknesses of both Schedule 80 and Schedule 40 pipe. Joey knows what the Hose Parts Guy's favorite baseball team is.

Joey > Billy

Hose Parts Guy probably asked, at one point in the interview, if they liked baseball and Joey picked up on subtle context clues like the framed Derek Jeter jersey on the wall, the baseball signed by ARod in a case on the desk next to the baseball cards and said 'I love baseball! Think the Yankees are going to win a pennant this year?'

Billy probably said 'baseball is for children'

Billy is right, but being right doesn't pay the bills.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This one is just goofy.

Is it racist if I[20F white] post a picture of me posing with a gorilla statue?

quote:

Using a throwaway for so many reasons.

Preference:

I am currently on vacation and I went to a theme park. There was a jungle themed section with a gorilla statue holding an „I love this park!“ sign. By far the best picture from the park is me hugging the gorilla, and I would like to post it on my social media with the caption „Made a new friend!“

The problem:

Is this racist? I feel like if I have to ask, the answer is yes however I’ve asked my other (white) friends and they’ve all said no. I have friends who I think are more qualified to answer this question, but I know for a fact asking them specifically would be racist. My instagram is private, and I don’t think I’m friends with anyone on there who would find it offensive, but I really don’t want to end up in the Philip Defranco Show. I don’t know if the problem is the caption that personifies the gorilla or if gorillas in general are currently off limits. Like I’m trying to check my privilege but I’m pretty sure I’m only coming off an entitled brat, but it’s a throwaway so who cares.

Tl;dr I took a picture with a gorilla and I’m scared it will be offensive even though my friends have already told me it’s not.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
Does anyone have a link/the text of the story where the woman dressed like a technicolor version of the old man from the Six Flags commercials, and her boyfriend was mad about it? I've been wanting to read that one again, definitely one of the all-time classics from this thread.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Have you tried being a white male? Many people find it helps.

Yes, and it is completely true that social skills matter most to career success. Admittedly, I do really hate people who lie about their competencies, But at the end of the day I would rather work with someone who is not quite as competent and it was a pleasure to be around then someone who is competent and loving pisses me off all day

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Double post, but what in the gently caress is this?!

Girl [18F] I helped 2 years ago had her reasons to not be grateful to me [37M], and is now regretful

quote:

I'll voluntarily stay vague on some elements for anonymity purposes.

Also, in case it doesn't show, I completely suck at people interactions and understanding their feelings/expectations. At this point you could say it's an established flaw of mine and a borderline mental disability.

So, regretably, up until two years ago, a then-16yo girl was being very criminally abused near my neighborhood. It was hidden and completely unknown by the surroundings. She was struggling to find a way to free herself from this situation. Then at that time, fate had it that I was instrumental in discovering the situation and involving the authorities, which led to her liberation sooner than would have been if she had to free herself without help. We were introduced with me as the guy who "saved" her. Personally I think she saved herself and the police helped, also an experience where I got to appreciate the police's speedy and caring intervention, a nice reminder that they can do a great job.

The criminals were a couple my age. I think she was a little groggy with liberation and thanking everyone, including me, until my girlfriends caught up to check on the situation. Girlfriends, plural. They wanted to be with a girl and a guy, and I was there, and it's how we ended up in a relationship. They were also 16 and 18. It's legal there. My girlfriends were completely willing of the relationship and free, hence the difference as far as the law is concerned. The girl, when she put two and two together, called me a monster and kept her distance. I don't think that's an inappropriate reaction considering the situation. I didn't get involved to be praised or thanked. I discovered that a girl was a prisoner and I wanted her freed, and the criminals punished was a nice plus. That's it.

When no one had further questions we walked back home, dealt with further questions about the incident here and there, and moved on. That was two years ago.

Yesterday the girl sent me a message (on Facebook which I don't check often). It was about apologizing. To sum up she said that she treated me and my girlfriends horribly, and she wanted to meet for coffee to get to know us and something like "show proper gratitude".

I don't think she was out of line considering her situation. I don't think she owes us an apology, nor anything for that matter. I don't want her to validate any feeling that she owes me anything by going to that coffee meeting. Now, on the other hand, if she wants something out of me, or out of us, she's a person who I'm willing to help without hesitation. That meeting could be a part of getting closure for all I know, though she made no other point for it than what I said.

Also my girlfriends are upset with how she had reacted. They had forgotten it rather than taken the time to accept it. I'm surprised for my girlfriends to be suddenly so inconsiderate to a person who went through such a tragedy. It's not like them normally. I guess there is something about the whole situation that touches a nerve I don't see and didn't expect their reaction. I'm afraid meeting them for coffee wouldn't be a good idea. But the girl also offered one-on-one meeting, and my girlfriends say it's fine if I want to go. I don't, honestly, unless it can be good to her in some way.

I don't know what to respond to her.

tl;dr: I "saved" a girl 2 years ago. She was traumatized by people my age, and when she saw that I was dating people her age, she freaked out and shunned me. I don't have a problem with that. She's recently sent me a message to meet, because she wants to apologize and be grateful. I don't think that's necessary. But I don't know if I may be missing things that she might need through that meeting, and if so I wouldn't refuse.

E: Since it seems hard to parse, the story is a 35 y/o man reported/helped a 16 year old girl that was the victim of some sort of abuse. While talking to the police, the 35 y/o's two girlfriends showed up, and they were 16 y/o and 18 y/o, same age as the victim. The perpetrators were the same age as the OP, so the victim freaked out upon seeing that dynamic and called him a monster.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 3, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

I know people like this and they all got sold down the river by their parents/society into the "6+ years at uni + 5+ years extreme hard work = lifetime of easy street" and it loving blows because that's not at all how it works out unless you become a surgeon

Also extremely true, so I totally understand their grief because they could have been having a happier time the whole time and focused on the actual skills that mattered and they got sidetracked by people who simply want to employ and exploit them. bububububbu owned

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

The fact that the one sentence where she seemed to actually like him was the one where she called him an idiot has me thinking this was probably it, yeah

She signed up to be the smart competent one goddammit, and being outperformed is making her insecure

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

The fact that the one sentence where she seemed to actually like him was the one where she called him an idiot has me thinking this was probably it, yeah

She signed up to be the smart competent one goddammit, and being outperformed is making her insecure

She's learning everything she was ever taught about success was a lie. welp :capitalism:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Milotic posted:

I love ones like these:

Is her name Diane and is she married to a Labrador?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

Girl [18F] I helped 2 years ago had her reasons to not be grateful to me [37M], and is now regretful

I guess it takes a pedophile to catch a pedophile. Ick.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

JfishPirate posted:

Does anyone have a link/the text of the story where the woman dressed like a technicolor version of the old man from the Six Flags commercials, and her boyfriend was mad about it? I've been wanting to read that one again, definitely one of the all-time classics from this thread.

I don't have a link, but if it's the same one I am remembering the BF wasn't made about it. She dressed like a clown for years until one day she asked his opinion on her style and he said something like "I don't care for it, but you do you" and she got mad that he doesn't support her 100%.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Project a little harder, fatkraken, I think there's people at the back of the room who still can't see it

eh, I was just taking her word that he really did lie a TON on his resume and is actually loving up at his job, she does seem to be massively invested in the idea of him as a failure and that is a terrible relationship dynamic. She definitely likes him helpless and child like and finds it threatening when he does well, but whether other aspects of her frustration are because he's genuinely cheating and lying or because she just has a chip on her shoulder is impossible to discern with only her word to go on.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That wife's mouth is puckered from the sour grapes. She was invested in the idea that she was the smart and responsible one in their relationship, and then he had to go and make triple her income. This is going to bother her until they divorce, and she meets some burnout that she can lord over.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

eh, I was just taking her word that he really did lie a TON on his resume and is actually loving up at his job, she does seem to be massively invested in the idea of him as a failure and that is a terrible relationship dynamic. She definitely likes him helpless and child like and finds it threatening when he does well, but whether other aspects of her frustration are because he's genuinely cheating and lying or because she just has a chip on her shoulder is impossible to discern with only her word to go on.

Never ever trust the OP of a relationships post.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

LadyPictureShow posted:

No reactions to this one? Felt like the paedo with a heart of gold was surefire threadbait. I guess the writing is p hard to parse.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Fatkraken posted:

because he's genuinely cheating and lying or because she just has a chip on her shoulder is impossible to discern with only her word to go on.

A STEMlord told me that I was “cheating” because I told him to get in the habit of writing down, on the back of their business card, how he met someone (professionally) and 2-3 things he noticed/remembered about their conversation.

Setting aside that it’s a good way to train yourself to actually listen and care about what people have to say, it’s apparently a great apostasy to teach yourself to do this.

Charlie will always land sunny side up.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jeza posted:

No reactions to this one? Felt like the paedo with a heart of gold was surefire threadbait. I guess the writing is p hard to parse.
Yeah, it's hard to parse. He seems to be hinting that he saved the 16 year old from sexual abuse, yet at the same time was involved with a different 16 year old and 18 year old while being 35 years old. The 16 year old he "saved" realized he's creepy as gently caress and doesn't appreciate him anymore. His girlfriends didn't want a 4th anyway, so there's no way he was being creepy towards the one he saved.

He's immature though, so that means it's not weird he's dating children.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Milotic posted:

Holy poo poo it's like Frank Grimes and Homer Simpson got married

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

blugu64 posted:

A STEMlord told me that I was “cheating” because I told him to get in the habit of writing down, on the back of their business card, how he met someone (professionally) and 2-3 things he noticed/remembered about their conversation.

Setting aside that it’s a good way to train yourself to actually listen and care about what people have to say, it’s apparently a great apostasy to teach yourself to do this.

I love it when my co-workers complain about how promotions are all about "politics." Like, congratulations, you cracked the code! You figured it out! Gonna start being someone people like?

Generally the answer is "no, I'm going to keep being an unpleasant poo poo who thinks he's House MD whose genius justifies all of my bullshit"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

blugu64 posted:

This is how I'm picturing Charlie, but even more personable:

https://youtu.be/AFDU_R6ShmI

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
r/relationships: I don't know if gorillas in general are currently off limits

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LadyPictureShow posted:

Try as I might, this is a situation where I just cannot wrap my head around WTF

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

salesmen are annoying as gently caress, let's not pretend they're cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Holy poo poo it's like Frank Grimes and Homer Simpson got married

Has no one said Just World Fallacy yet?