Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Heavy Metal posted:

DOOM is a beautiful thing. A powerful force of good in the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2HwH1JkAI

:tutbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Broforce did everything Duke had in a much better, self aware way. The only way to do a Duke game these days is to have him as a washed up way-beyond-his-prime old fart desperately throwing catchphrases around that are a decade beyond their expiration date while everyone other npc rolls his eyes at him. If Doom in 2016 can lean fully into the ridiculous Doom Marine persona of being a frightening force of ripping and tearing nature among demons then Duke's only way is to face the elephant in the room head-on and own it up.

You're basically describing Matt Hazard from Eat Lead, a good game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BexGu posted:

The quality isn't that great but a look at what it would be like for a demon watching the Doomguy just murder every one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8gODnujXws

Shows how fast Doomguy is compared to all the monsters.

This just makes me really want co-op doom

I played doom 1/2 and quake 1 on co-op soooo much, its a real shame doom 4 doesn't support it for the campaign

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

This just makes me really want co-op doom

I played doom 1/2 and quake 1 on co-op soooo much, its a real shame doom 4 doesn't support it for the campaign

If they do co-op Doom they need co-op glory kills where one player can setup/start a glory kill and have the 2nd player finish it for an even more brutal glory kill / bonus in arcade mode.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
2 Doom Slayers double-clotheslining a Hell Knight, except the Hell Knight gets decapitated

You say, the Hell Knight is taller than a Doom Slayer. Fool. The Doom Slayers are flying

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If they do co-op Doom they need co-op glory kills where one player can setup/start a glory kill and have the 2nd player finish it for an even more brutal glory kill / bonus in arcade mode.

If I can't co-op suplex a demon through a table with my buddy then the devs have not done their homework

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Co op doom Eternal should have DoomGirl and Doom Slayer teaming up with the Mormons to get the last of humanity into space like the novel adaptation.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 2, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Idea for DO5M co-op mode:

Any time you’re about to do a glory kill, you and the demon pause for about a second. During this time, your co-op buddy gets a beep or some other kind of small audio prompt. If he presses his own glory kill button fast enough after the audio prompt, he will immediately jump/warp to where the glory kill is about to happen and the two doom guys do a team glory kill. You could turn off team glory kills in the options menu if you want, but why would you do that?

With almost any other studio I’d fully expect the dev leads to say this would be too fun/cool/overpowered. Come on id. You can do it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Co op doom Eternal should have DoomGirl and Doom Slayer teaming up with the Mormons to get the last night's of humanity into space like the novel adaptation.

oh hey speaking of, is anyone aware of any Doom novel references in DO4M? They had a reference to Repercussions of Evil, there's GOT to be some nods to the novelization in there somewhere

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You're basically describing Matt Hazard from Eat Lead, a good game.

Matt Hazard did this thing, though, where it was like "Hey, isn't this a lovely thing from other games? Yeah!" and then having you do them anyway. I remember him quipping something about throwing grenades back and enemies, but you couldn't do it which just made the jokes feel bad.

Basically, it's being self-aware but not doing anything to correct the flaws its pointing out.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GreatGreen posted:

Idea for DO5M co-op mode:

Any time you’re about to do a glory kill, you and the demon pause for about a second. During this time, your co-op buddy gets a beep or some other kind of small audio prompt. If he presses his own glory kill button fast enough after the audio prompt, he will immediately jump/warp to where the glory kill is about to happen and the two doom guys do a team glory kill. You could turn off team glory kills in the options menu if you want, but why would you do that?

With almost any other studio I’d fully expect the dev leads to say this would be too fun/cool/overpowered. Come on id. You can do it.

For actual mechanics of Doom co-op, whenever one of the player's dies, they are just respawned in the encounter, but the enemies they had killed up to that point would respawn immediately. If both players die, the whole encounter resets. Of course the encounters need to be balanced such that there are enough enemies for two doom marines going crazy and glory killing constantly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

For actual mechanics of Doom co-op, whenever one of the player's dies, they are just respawned in the encounter, but the enemies they had killed up to that point would respawn immediately. If both players die, the whole encounter resets. Of course the encounters need to be balanced such that there are enough enemies for two doom marines going crazy and glory killing constantly.

This is a very good idea

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Doom Guy's gonna be Mortal Kombat 11, calling it now.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Pneub posted:

Doom Guy's gonna be Mortal Kombat 11, calling it now.

This made me remember that Doom Guy was in the PC version of THPS3

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This made me remember that Doom Guy was in the PC version of THPS3

Can't jump, really fast and ambidextrous. Stats are spot on.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All I can picture is one Doomguy on his hands and knees while the other table tops a demon over him with a shotgun to the face :lol:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 3, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That Doom "third person" video is hilarious and coop sounds like a blast but man if the footage doesn't remind me of videos of speedhackers on multiplayer servers and that one Mirrors Edge third person video. No wonder the demons are scared, that's some uncanny freaky poo poo

Iacen posted:

Matt Hazard did this thing, though, where it was like "Hey, isn't this a lovely thing from other games? Yeah!" and then having you do them anyway.
This is also kind of the pitfall FC Blood Dragon fell into. It's my (second) favorite far cry game, but some of the tone of that game has aged worse than the rest of it, and it was a wise choice to keep the entire game limited in scope. Doom 4's writing works so well because it sticks the comic relief subtly in the background and doesn't constantly/obnoxiously push your face into it front and center, restraining itself mostly to occasional situational comedy (read: mostly doomguy smashing things)

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This is also kind of the pitfall FC Blood Dragon fell into. It's my (second) favorite far cry game, but some of the tone of that game has aged worse than the rest of it, and it was a wise choice to keep the entire game limited in scope. Doom 4's writing works so well because it sticks the comic relief subtly in the background and doesn't constantly/obnoxiously push your face into it front and center, restraining itself mostly to occasional situational comedy (read: mostly doomguy smashing things)
The humor in the game is surprisingly subtle and effective. The Argent Facility chapter probably showcases it best.

:byodood:: It's safe! It works. You cannot do this!

Doomguy looks at the argent filter. He looks at the gigantic torrent of hellfire pouring from the portal in the sky. He looks back at the filter. SMASH

:(: Well, that's it then. There's nothing else to be done.

MISSION UPDATE: KILL OLIVIA PIERCE

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Doom needs a renegade button for the cutscenes that cuts them short by breaking things / threatening the NPCs. Like instead of Olivia doing her thing, Doomguy starts breaking through the glass and she has to run off.

I hope they do something like that for Eternal

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Magitek posted:

The humor in the game is surprisingly subtle and effective. The Argent Facility chapter probably showcases it best.

:byodood:: It's safe! It works. You cannot do this!

Doomguy looks at the argent filter. He looks at the gigantic torrent of hellfire pouring from the portal in the sky. He looks back at the filter. SMASH

:(: Well, that's it then. There's nothing else to be done.

MISSION UPDATE: KILL OLIVIA PIERCE

I think right after this I put down the game, got distracted and never picked it back up.

A loving sin, i'll have to replay it. Do you remember when this thread started and you had the fuckwits claiming it was going to be awful?

IDiots

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah I recently re-skimmed the first dozen or so pages of this thread and lol

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I didn't pick this game up until I saw the NoClip doc. I am real loving glad I watched that.

I also hope they make the MP in DO5M more arena shooter style, but I dunno. Bethesda probably thinks doing that would step too much on QC's toes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Game looks slow and corridory

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I don't think I put my foot in my mouth talking poo poo about the game pre release, but I was definitely an unbeliever.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm always "an unbeliever" in any game until i've seen a decent amount of fully unedited gameplay footage from someone who isn't a dev or PR shill (this includes youtube incluencers) or playing with a controller. I can be hopeful or looking forward to see how the potential gets realized but i've seen plenty of cases where that just didn't work out or the result wasn't my cup of tea after all

but i also know that the more tightly controlled and edited the PR dribble is the less it's actually telling me about whether ill enjoy the game or not, so i usually just stop paying attention to them. Even from the most badass preview teaser you just can't tell if there's some really unfun garbage thing, in fact, it's the job of a ton of people to make sure you don't know.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 3, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm always an unbeliever in any game until i've seen a decent amount of fully unedited gameplay footage from someone who isn't a dev or PR shill (this includes youtube incluencers) or playing with a controller

but i also know that the more tightly controlled and edited the PR dribble is the less it's actually telling me about whether ill enjoy the game or not, so i usually just stop paying attention to them. Even from the most badass preview teaser you just can't tell if there's some really unfun garbage thing, in fact, it's the job of a ton of people to never make sure you don't know.

Yeah, I'm holding off on getting excited for cyberpunk 2077 until I see proper gameplay.

But I was optimistic about doom and I'm optimistic for cyberpunk.

I'm not optimistic for Anthem.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I don't think anybody has anything to be ashamed of for being wrong about this game in particular before it came out.

During pre-release when all we knew about Doom was what Bethesda had advertised to us, every single negative comment was absolutely warranted.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

I don't think anybody has anything to be ashamed of for being wrong about this game in particular before it came out.

During pre-release when all we knew about Doom was what Bethesda had advertised to us, every single negative comment was absolutely warranted.
oh yeah I should be clear that I'm not shaming anyone who was down on the game prior to release and I agree with this post

but it's still funny with the benefit of hindsight

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GreatGreen posted:

I think too that people still had Doom 3 in their heads, which had mixed reviews due to being sluggish and dark compared to the classic games. Not that it was a bad game per se, just didn't "fit" with the feel of the other games, despite looking pretty good for the time.

I started getting hyped when id showed the first DO4M gameplay demo with the cinematics and chainsaw action in the Foundry level. Seeing how brutal and gory it was, I was like "yeah, this could be pretty awesome", and was happily surprised.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh yeah I should be clear that I'm not shaming anyone who was down on the game prior to release and I agree with this post

but it's still funny with the benefit of hindsight

I mean, I definitely would, because you had posts like this:

Linguica posted:

So apparently the people hacking the alpha code discovered that Retard 4 is going to include a bunch of the old cheat codes, because I guess "IDDQD" was on the list of most common things the focus group of thirtysomethings remembered fondly about Doom

I'm reading through again and yeah, in hindsight this shits even more funny.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I'm holding off on getting excited for cyberpunk 2077 until I see proper gameplay.
The worst thing those guys ever did was that dumb "Gog is shutting down!" PR stunt several years ago. Pretty minor compared to a lot of companies.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zaphod42 posted:

But I was optimistic about doom and I'm optimistic for cyberpunk.

I'm not optimistic for Anthem.

What I hate the most so far about cyberpunk 2077 hype is that all the gameplay has been locked behind closed doors for a select few video game bloggers to talk about it. I don't care about these people just show me the drat video already.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite thing about the first page are the goons saying that the game is a hard pass without co-op.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

holy poo poo lmao I just listened to this. Is this real? was the music supposed to sound like a bunch of wet musical farts?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

holy poo poo lmao I just listened to this. Is this real? was the music supposed to sound like a bunch of wet musical farts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2oyweqZ7WM
It may as well be

Then there's a "fixed" version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_nSsp-aYI

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
And the modern interpretation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPpWInAiOg

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

The best version.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BexGu posted:

What I hate the most so far about cyberpunk 2077 hype is that all the gameplay has been locked behind closed doors for a select few video game bloggers to talk about it. I don't care about these people just show me the drat video already.

Yeah its a real tease. Either show the footage or don't, but this like "we're gonna show footage to other people and have them describe to you in hushed tones what they saw" poo poo is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Maybe CDPR figured if they did it like this, half the gaming community gets to hear about the basic premise of the gameplay, but won’t complain about the inevitable graphical downgrades it will get between now and release like they did when that happened with Witcher 3. However, we still don’t have the basic premise of gameplay because the only thing that was really described were generalized events that could’ve just as easily happened in a side scrolling platformer or isometric RPG, much less the kajillions of ways you can make a game where you hold guns in 1st person play and feel.

What this tactic did accomplish though, was making CDPR seem pretty obnoxious and up its own rear end about the miracle game they’re developing that us plebs can’t handle beholding the magnificent splendor of just yet.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 3, 2018