Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Das Ende posted:

Just spitballing. Haven't posted here for years, and this is probably a terrible commentd, but hopefully I'll get into the swing of things

Nah, you're right. The reason why the ST is such a drag is because of the *-Shades of Gray-*. Heroes are uncheerable, villains are unhateable. And the story is just as milquetoast as the characters riding it out. As a black male, I don't even care about whether or not the heroes look like me or not because I know the deal by this point ( :smith: ). Maybe they figured having different races of people would make up for lovely writing and characters. I just wanted an interesting followup to ROTJ. Literally the easiest alley oop to complete in entertainment history and.....welp.

Edit: Just noticed they added social media linking to posts in the last hour or so. Good stuff, Kyanka.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Their attempts to cast Kylo Ren as The Butt Monkey only made him a more powerful Blood Knight than they could have possibly imagined.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

*compares posting histories*

*one of two has posted novella about lovely genre fic and desperately aped SMG*

*one inevitAy responds to obvious trolling to save postkng rep*

At least toy got one o er on rothfuss, that def needed 10 million words you auteur, you artist

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 3, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The whole "Endless Cycle!" "Jedi cause endless Wars!" mantra isn't really supported by the Lucas films. The notion only really exists because EU writers were really uncreative and just reused the same plot every with every story in every time period. As far as the Lucas films are concerned there were some Sith assholes millennia ago who the Jedi saved the galaxy from and ushered in a long age of peace and freedom that had only really started to rot away after more than a millennia of prosperity. Followed by the Rebellion blowing up the guys behind the rot and the Galaxy throwing a big party to celebrate. The thing the Jedi in the prequels were really at fault for is becoming lazy coasting by on the goodwill they had from freeing the galaxy way back and refusing to believe they were being played ( or indeed there was anyone left to play them) for so long that by the time they realized they had been tricked into compromising their beliefs they were being shot in the back by their own troops.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Republic was stable, but it was hardly a utopia. It preferred to deny its injustices.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

The whole "Endless Cycle!" "Jedi cause endless Wars!" mantra isn't really supported by the Lucas films.

That’s again relying on exposition in a way that ignores characterization.

The ‘thousand years of peace’ were only peaceful for select groups. There was no peace for the droids, gungans, nemoidians, sandpeople, slaves, etc. The gungans were a colonized people.

The cycle we’re referring to the fact that the democratic Republic will inevitably fall prey to its own inherent contradictions and descend into tyranny, then centrists will fight to restore the Republic without solving the problems that caused it to fall.

TLJ is not an exception here - except that Kylo Ren has emerged as a Killmonger figure - progressive in his politics, yet made unconvincingly ‘ambiguous’ with gratuitous scenes of puppy-kicking and murder.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At least toy got one o er on rothfuss, that def needed 10 million words you auteur, you artist

What in the blue gently caress is this? Are you having a seizure?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nice meltdown

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What leftist wouldn’t sympathize with the Trade Federation, their good friends the Banking Clan, and the army of manufactured slave robots they used to lock people in concentration camps for a better deal

Further, they probably aren't slaves - the Trade Federation values their robots enough that they have appointed a half-robot as supreme commander of their fleet in ROTS. Grievous is obviously well-remunerated or he wouldn't be able to afford his fancy cape and wheelie-bike so presumably they must pay their other droids as well. This is in contrast to the Republic, who don't allow clones to occupy positions of command except in subservience to the Jedi generals.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most fun I've had reading this dreadful zombie forum in a year or two

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hmmyes:

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

galagazombie posted:

The whole "Endless Cycle!" "Jedi cause endless Wars!" mantra isn't really supported by the Lucas films. The notion only really exists because EU writers were really uncreative and just reused the same plot every with every story in every time period. As far as the Lucas films are concerned there were some Sith assholes millennia ago who the Jedi saved the galaxy from and ushered in a long age of peace and freedom that had only really started to rot away after more than a millennia of prosperity. Followed by the Rebellion blowing up the guys behind the rot and the Galaxy throwing a big party to celebrate. The thing the Jedi in the prequels were really at fault for is becoming lazy coasting by on the goodwill they had from freeing the galaxy way back and refusing to believe they were being played ( or indeed there was anyone left to play them) for so long that by the time they realized they had been tricked into compromising their beliefs they were being shot in the back by their own troops.

They have been fighting the exact same war since ANH. You could argue it's the same war as in the prequels.

Ignoring all of the EU poo poo, the fact they have been fighting the same war for 30-50 years says a lot

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Kazoo Reverb posted:

They have been fighting the exact same war since ANH. You could argue it's the same war as in the prequels.

Ignoring all of the EU poo poo, the fact they have been fighting the same war for 30-50 years says a lot

But in the context of it following thousands of years of peace it definitely isn't some endless cycle caused by the Jedi. At least until the sequel movies came along and decided the ending of RotJ didn't count. The Lucas movies don't really have a backstory of never-ending Jedi caused wars for untold thousands of years before the prequels like the EU did. Though I bet if Disney ever decides to do a Knights of the Old Republic esque project they'll totally do the same thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

galagazombie posted:

the sequel movies came along and decided the ending of RotJ didn't count.

This...never happened

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pulling this out of the movie poster thread because I love you, Star War Thread

https://twitter.com/strongstufftom/...1375%23lastpost

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

galagazombie posted:

But in the context of it following thousands of years of peace it definitely isn't some endless cycle caused by the Jedi. At least until the sequel movies came along and decided the ending of RotJ didn't count. The Lucas movies don't really have a backstory of never-ending Jedi caused wars for untold thousands of years before the prequels like the EU did. Though I bet if Disney ever decides to do a Knights of the Old Republic esque project they'll totally do the same thing.

Also, the rebellion are not connected to the Jedi. They are not fighting to bring back the Jedi Order or destroy the Sith, but to restore the Republic. We also don't know how much actual war there has been in the preceding years, as the ANH opening crawl says the rebels have only just recently won their first victory, although even Luke has apparently heard of them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

This...never happened

Oh it did. The Emperor, the Empire, Darth Vader, and the Death Star are all back on the sequel trilogy. Technically they're all different, but on substance nothing has changed: a bunch of idiots are fighting against vague authoritarianism to reestablish the conditions for their failure. Luke Skywalker embraced pacifism against evil, them decides that he should kill his own nephew (fans are so broken mentally that they interpret this just as some impulse he "gets over" so that he can remain a hero).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 3, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jivjov posted:

This...never happened

I admire your principled rejection of the notion of metaphor.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pulling this out of the movie poster thread because I love you, Star War Thread

https://twitter.com/strongstufftom/...1375%23lastpost

I'm still losing my poo poo over the Triple Threat Death Star and Fedora Hanzo Steel Finn Watching Hentai. :perfect:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 3, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like the subtle touch of Boba Fett's ship in the corner there. Star Wars nerds love them some Fett.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boba Fett gets compared to Wolverine a lot, but it's an unfair comparison because Wolverine actually did stuff and Boba Fett only ever looked cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still losing my poo poo over the Triple Threat Death Star and Fedora Hanzo Steel Finn Watching Hentai. :perfect:

- MY ORIGINS
- MY PLAN

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McQuarrie Won’t Do “Star Wars” Due To Fans?

quote:

Finally someone followed that up with a comment saying it’s a shame we’ll be denied seeing a Chris McQuarrie superhero film, to which he responded: “Much appreciated. And it saddens me, too. I consider myself first and foremost an entertainer. I work for the audience. Tonight I found people I could never work for.”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Any major director who isn't desperate for a career boost should feel the same way. For someone already established making a Star Wars movie is all risk for very little potential reward. Star Wars fans are toxic as hell and a certain percentage will poo poo on your work no matter what you do.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/enfysnestt/status/1013621100180369409

The ESB remake is coming along nicely

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Any major director who isn't desperate for a career boost should feel the same way. For someone already established making a Star Wars movie is all risk for very little potential reward. Star Wars fans are toxic as hell and a certain percentage will poo poo on your work no matter what you do.
And it's not like this is unique to Star Wars; this is what happens when people adopt capitalism as their religion and think the consumer goods market is the channel through which they talk to God and have their prayers answered.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

And it's not like this is unique to Star Wars; this is what happens when people adopt capitalism as their religion and think the consumer goods market is the channel through which they talk to God and have their prayers answered.

Which is another thing that Mcquarrie seems to understand, because he didn't stop at just Star wars, he said he has no interest in doing any superhero film at all. He knows how broke brained most of these fans are.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh it did. The Emperor, the Empire, Darth Vader, and the Death Star are all back on the sequel trilogy. Technically they're all different, but on substance nothing has changed: a bunch of idiots are fighting against vague authoritarianism to reestablish the conditions for their failure. Luke Skywalker embraced pacifism against evil, them decides that he should kill his open nephew (fans are so broken mentally that they interpret this just as some impulse he "gets over" so that he can remain a hero).

"And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame and with consequence. And the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened boy whose Master had failed him."

Sure seems like the broken person is you?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Natural 20 posted:

"And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame and with consequence. And the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened boy whose Master had failed him."

Are you joking? Is this a joke post?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 3, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Schwarzwald posted:

Are you joking? Is this a joke post?

Are you a joke post?

Is this thread a joke?

Are we in fact a joke in the infinite cosmos?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Natural 20 posted:

I wasn't calling Luke Skywalker a broken person, but yeah, he is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Natural 20 posted:

Are you a joke post?

Is this thread a joke?

Are we in fact a joke in the infinite cosmos?

Jokes are fun.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The really weird thing is that Luke has such a poorly developed sense of history and ethics that he thinks Kylo Ren "going bad" (whatever that means) would instantly doom the galaxy when in fact Darth Vader ganking the Jedi Temple decades prior was only a tiny part of the reason the Republic imploded.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Natural 20 posted:

Are you a joke post?

Luke nearly goes through with killing his nephew because he imagined doing so would protect the universe, and is then so ashamed of himself that he hides in the space woods for the rest of his life.

Do you really read that as being an impulse you can "get over?"

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 3, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's cool to see people rattle off Luke's insane murderer rationalizations as if they excuse his colossally hosed up actions whatsoever.

Maybe in the end you have to give it up to Mark Hamill, he's so likable an actor that despite the horrible script that people are willing to let his character get away with murder (and fleeing from justice for murder, and killing himself rather than facing justice for murder, and never bothering to tell the parents of the child he attempted to murder what he did, and etc. etc.)

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's cool to see people rattle off Luke's insane murderer rationalizations as if they excuse his colossally hosed up actions whatsoever.

Maybe in the end you have to give it up to Mark Hamill, he's so likable an actor that despite the horrible script that people are willing to let his character get away with murder (and fleeing from justice for murder, and killing himself rather than facing justice for murder, and never bothering to tell the parents of the child he attempted to murder what he did, and etc. etc.)

How did he even intend to explain that poo poo to Han and Leia?! "Sorry, I (almost) killed your son in his sleep. He gave me bad vibes. We cool?" *shrugs as Curb Your Enthusiasm theme plays*

I don't see how that made it past the first draft.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it murder to kill Kylo Ren?

Seems justified to me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In a way Luke not telling Han and Leia what he did is actually kind of the root of all evil. Everyone seems to think Kylo went evil and burned down the temple unilaterally, when really he and the knights of ren were probably confused kids trying to escape from an apparently hostile place run by a crazy murder man. If Han and Leia had known any of that context they probably would have looked at their son very differently.

Granted they're reprehensible idiots as well for apparently not looking into the incident at all, but Luke basically set everyone up to fail from the get go with his insane actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think there's a distinction to be made here between "attempted murder" and "considered attempting murder".

Not that considering murdering one of your students is a good thing, but (if we're to take his story at face value)Luke didn't actually go forward with any attempt to kill Ben. He ignites his lightsaber for a second, stands there frozen unable to act, and then comes to his senses and decides not to do it. In that moment he gave in to the dark side, but was able to bring himself back before actually acting on it. Of course, that doesn't make Ben any less justified in his outrage, but I think the distinction takes Luke from completely irredeemable into a slightly more acceptable gray area that makes sense for the film.