Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skylark posted:

Ive still just barely started FF13-3, havent left the first town yet but... I have to say the timer is still stressing me out, in spite of what ive heard that it doesnt matter.. I am really hoping i get over that. Yesterday I wanted to play some more but I thought of the timer and just the thought of it stressed me out so i played ds remastered instead. 😓

if you really dont like it you can use the chronostasis skill which costs uhhh ... EP? well whatever its called you can get it back by killing strong enemies like behemoths so you can basically stay in chronostasis forever if you want as long as you kill enemies like that every so often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

my old man

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

Im playing through FFX for the first time now and i think the story and characters are butt, however i love the setting and battle system and music. im torn on it as a whole so far, im about halfway through and the story is at least getting somewhat interesting but i just am not into the way they are telling it

I stopped playing it after a few hours because there were too many cutscenes and alot of them are just rehashing stuff you already know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skylark posted:

Ive still just barely started FF13-3, havent left the first town yet but... I have to say the timer is still stressing me out, in spite of what ive heard that it doesnt matter.. I am really hoping i get over that. Yesterday I wanted to play some more but I thought of the timer and just the thought of it stressed me out so i played ds remastered instead. 😓

Use Chronostasis!

It costs 1 EP and you get at least 1 guaranteed whenever you kill any enemy in a chaos field. Also very strong enemies like reavers give you 2 or 3 sometimes so after a point you can just stop time forever pretty much because you can easily get the cost right back. Also you will get more EP as you progress, and ALSO you get a fast travel spell that does cost more, 3 EP, but again you can get that back through fights.

Also, if you're really worried, just focus on the main quests. Usually you unlock new sidequests after finishing them anyway, plus each one gives you another day and another max EP to control time with. And as long as you finish all five of them then no matter what you can access the finale

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 3, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

the wonder years narration is real weird

not that the story would have been perfect, but it would be vastly improved by eliminating literally all of tidus's narration. all of it is stuff like "i felt... sad, and also... a little happy? when yuna danced" and "wakka thought about nothing except for the Sandlot, not even wendy pfeffercorn." none of it gives you new information or even gives you insight into tidus's thoughts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also i'm on galuf's world in final fantasy v now and i forgot how OP geomancer is. !Earth is insanely good even if it's a little unstable. getting the blue magic wasn't as hard as i remember it being, even if L5 Death is sort of annoying to get.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Bicyclops posted:

not that the story would have been perfect, but it would be vastly improved by eliminating literally all of tidus's narration. all of it is stuff like "i felt... sad, and also... a little happy? when yuna danced" and "wakka thought about nothing except for the Sandlot, not even wendy pfeffercorn." none of it gives you new information or even gives you insight into tidus's thoughts.

yeah for sure

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

A lot of that came from it being the first voice acted final fantasy i think. The game itself is real strong but the voice acting and direction are all over the place. Overall it’s a pretty strong narrative despite the technical issues.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

A lot of that came from it being the first voice acted final fantasy i think. The game itself is real strong but the voice acting and direction are all over the place. Overall it’s a pretty strong narrative despite the technical issues.

It's definitely the direction IMO, most of the voice actors are fine in other stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had no idea until just now that the guy who voices Seymour is Alex Fernandez, I'd alwayt thought they just hired whoever the current actor was for Winnie the Ppoh

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There was a technical limitation in the voice system they used. The lengths of the audio clips had to exactly match the lengths of the original Japanese recordings or else it would literally crash the game, and it's most noticeable when you realize that it takes significantly more time to say "yes" than to say "hai."

They also tried to generally match the lip existing flaps when visible, because they didn't have the ability to reanimate them.

At that time, games were not often developed in a way that made ease of localization a priority.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

The lengths of the audio clips had to exactly match the lengths of the original Japanese recordings or else it would literally crash the game,

that rules.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

There was a technical limitation in the voice system they used. The lengths of the audio clips had to exactly match the lengths of the original Japanese recordings or else it would literally crash the game, and it's most noticeable when you realize that it takes significantly more time to say "yes" than to say "hai."

lol

every Final Fantasy localization story and quirk owns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

John DiMaggio accidentally holds his "y'know?" for one extra-microsecond and Gilgamesh comes crashing out of a portal yelling "DID SOMEONE JUST TRY TO SKETCH AN INTANGIR IN HERE?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

each voice actor is forced to complete the Thunder Plains challenge as a timing exercise before they step into the booth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, the audio engineers could trim the files down to the exact length needed, so the actors just had to deliver the lines fast enough.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, the audio engineers could trim the files down to the exact length needed, so the actors just had to deliver the lines fast enough.

They were actually too busy, because all of them had been called to assist in the development of a single rock for Final Fantasy XV.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
https://clips.twitch.tv/NurturingTrappedGoldfishOSsloth

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

They were actually too busy, because all of them had been called to assist in the development of a single rock for Final Fantasy XV.

Video games was a different place in the year 2000.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Video games was a different place in the year 2000.
Final Fantasy XV was created to retroactively justify a rock rendering project that began in 1998.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
did anyone find the rock in the game and take a screenshot of it. i bet its epic

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spirits Within only cost $5000 to develop. It was used as a cover for the rock, which actually caused the Square-Enix merger.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

did anyone find the rock in the game and take a screenshot of it. i bet its epic

I've tried to find the rock in question but I think it's a hoax

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

I've tried to find the rock in question but I think it's a hoax

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Solution: playable flower pot

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQdKkvERi6c

re: lightning returns, this track is extremely good

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
im playing kingdom hearts 2 and im so glad it confirmed 100% that cloud is autistic

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's possible cloud is on the spectrum but squall is definitely the final fantasy autistic protagonist

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Skylark posted:

Gag I started Lightning Returns and I thought I would remember the stories from 13-1 and 13-2 but i feel SO lost... And yet for some reason I feel like, even if I remembered everything, it woudlnt really make a difference? My experience with Square sequels is that they always just make up totally new stuff for every game anyway.

no one kjnows what a la cie and a faciel or whatever is

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

mysterious loyall X posted:

no one kjnows what a la cie and a faciel or whatever is

Mood lmao

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Except I feel like I used to understand what they were, and have since forgotten??

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Is L'cie like 'Geostigma' from FF7 Advent Children????

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
I’m already on chapter 4 of FFT. Godlike game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I know what I'Cie and Fal'Cie are.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Same here

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Xbox Ambassador posted:

I’m already on chapter 4 of FFT. Godlike game

I like the character art a lot, all the job classes look really cool.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

i sort of do .. one of thems a huge crystal, and one of thems a human with a tattoo, and i think if you have the tattoo you can turn into a crystal later. ?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The real 8mportant takeaway from ff13 os that lightning was a louis vuitton model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i just did the entire pyramid of moore twice in a row in ff5 because i forgot there was a Song ni the library until ExDeath sucked it into the void.