Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vermain posted:

Folks... Koji-Fox must be stopped.

...I feel like I'm missing something here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

...I feel like I'm missing something here.

Chlamydosaurus is the name of the genus containing the frilled-neck lizard, but the Greek chlamydo, in the modern world, tends to bring something else to mind.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Vermain posted:

Well, that's a new one. FFXIV instantly shut down while I was wandering through Kugane; no error message or anything. Anyone else get something similar?

My game got real fussy a few weeks back and would do this once every few hours or so, but it seems to have stopped recently. I wish I could be more helpful but the lack of an error message kinda ruins that.

e: worth mentioning it wasn't just in Kugane, so I don't think it's something to do with the town

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Folks... Koji-Fox must be stopped.

Last time I logged in I got tons of those weird items. What happens if I actually use them? Would I be surrounded by a veritable zoo of freaks all of a sudden? Are those creeps permanent or what? Can I store them?

I think the last time I had a pet in a video game was my trusty donkey in Dungeon Siege I, I'm kind of out of the loop on pet technology

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

Last time I logged in I got tons of those weird items. What happens if I actually use them? Would I be surrounded by a veritable zoo of freaks all of a sudden? Are those creeps permanent or what? Can I store them?

I think the last time I had a pet in a video game was my trusty donkey in Dungeon Siege I, I'm kind of out of the loop on pet technology

When you use a minion item, it just gets added to your minion list. You can have one out at a time and they just kinda follow around behind you looking cute. Some will hop up on your shoulder and interfere with every gathering node you try to click on, but you'll be okay with it because wind-up Nanamo is a treasure.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

When you use them it adds it permanently to your minion log, and then you can choose one to follow you around. They're mostly just gewgaws but there's also a mediocre RTS you can play with them at the Gold Saucer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sade posted:

I like Triple Triad, unironically

Are you ever able to have more than one >1* card in a deck? A bunch of opponents I've tried matches against seem almost impossible to deal with when I only have one card on par with theirs in my deck.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to whether you get one of the card drops after a match, or is it totally random?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Once you've collected enough cards you can have as many 3 stars in your deck as you want. 4s and 5s remain one of though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

When you use a minion item, it just gets added to your minion list. You can have one out at a time and they just kinda follow around behind you looking cute. Some will hop up on your shoulder and interfere with every gathering node you try to click on, but you'll be okay with it because wind-up Nanamo is a treasure.

homeless snail posted:

When you use them it adds it permanently to your minion log, and then you can choose one to follow you around. They're mostly just gewgaws but there's also a mediocre RTS you can play with them at the Gold Saucer.

Oh. Welp, looks like I overthought this pet issue a lot. Time to use all those minion items then!

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
What's up with the laurel text change? Why do people care?

edit: This is a genuine question I have no context here at all.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

What's up with the laurel text change? Why do people care?

edit: This is a genuine question I have no context here at all.

It's a reference to the Yanny/Laurel meme. Half the people think it's a hilarious bit of localization, half the people think it's already stale and dated. As for why people care, they've got a lot of free time...?

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Gotcha. I had somehow managed to talk myself into thinking it was a bigger deal. Probably because of the wind-up Moenbryda description.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How is HoH for exp?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

How is HoH for exp?

At 66, with Armory bonus, floor 11-20

[14:28]You gain 1296000 (+50%) pugilist experience points.

21-30 might be pretty decent to spam especially once your aetherpool gets up there

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Being able to spam the final, boosted xp set of floors sounds amazing. They should change PotD to let people start at 91 also.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It went 1mil, 1.25mil, then 1.12mil for my paladin, with that last one being at 67 vs 66. Levels 1-10 are a cakewalk too

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it recommended to pursue any crafting or gathering classes while in the process of leveling up your first fighting job? I'm level 35 on my Ninja and I'm not sure if I should take a detour to do some crafting/gathering. From what I'm reading it sounds like I might want to at least get to the point in the MSQ where I unlock these Ixal beast tribe quests.

I'm starting to wonder if it might actually be easier to play with my xbox one gamepad than keyboard; more skills might be easily accessible with a combination of the bumper buttons than are accessible with just 1-5 and ctrl 1-5. Once I get the other Ninja mudra things, which I think will be today since I just hit 35, I'm going to be hard pressed to fit anything other than main rotation and the mudra stuff on my "easily accessible with left hand" keys. Stuff like Execute, Mug, etc might have to get shuffled off to mouse click territory.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Let me tell you about esdf and werd

(but controller is fine)

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

wtf

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Unless you're really burning to try out crafting, waiting until you unlock the Ixal is suggested. Although if you get started now, you can try doing the daily turn-ins at your Grand Company for XP. You can do a little of both by just turning in dailies at the Grand Company (definitely do the ones with a star for the bigger bonus, the rest are "eh if you get to it") until you get the Ixal unlocked, though.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Is it recommended to pursue any crafting or gathering classes while in the process of leveling up your first fighting job? I'm level 35 on my Ninja and I'm not sure if I should take a detour to do some crafting/gathering. From what I'm reading it sounds like I might want to at least get to the point in the MSQ where I unlock these Ixal beast tribe quests.

I'm starting to wonder if it might actually be easier to play with my xbox one gamepad than keyboard; more skills might be easily accessible with a combination of the bumper buttons than are accessible with just 1-5 and ctrl 1-5. Once I get the other Ninja mudra things, which I think will be today since I just hit 35, I'm going to be hard pressed to fit anything other than main rotation and the mudra stuff on my "easily accessible with left hand" keys. Stuff like Execute, Mug, etc might have to get shuffled off to mouse click territory.

There's no harm in dabbling in them, but most people would argue you should at least get a battle class to 50 and complete up through "The Ultimate Weapon" quest first. There's a lot of stuff locked away behind MSQ, and you'll be in a much better place if you get access to some roulettes other than Leveling sooner than later.

You don't have to drop everything and sprint to 50, but it's a decent point to stop and check out some other stuff. Especially since the post-50 content between ARR and the first expansion can be a little.....dry.

e: also yes holy poo poo do your Grand Company daily turnins, they're incredible exp for very little effort. I got so many easy levels out of them it's unreal.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This is a great glitch and I hope it never gets fixed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

If you want? There are a bunch of systems that you can choose to not unlock or engage with in any capacity and it won't hurt your experience of the game. It always comes down to It's More Content. The quest stories are pretty good for the most part, they provide a reliable way to get Grand Company seals every day, and you can make some money on the side.

Controller is the way to go. The targeting is a bit goofy and I struggle with it when there are a lot of characters on screen; however, the cross bar works very well and is a great way to cut down on RSI risk. If you use the extended cross bars, you can get a bunch of permutations for maximum buttons on your shoulder button hugging finger tips. I have mine set up for L2+L2, R2+R2, R2+L2, L2+R2 in addition to the L2 and R2 default. You can also adjust the time window for getting the extended xbars to show up in the settings. It's good.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

21-30 XP at 66

[15:24]You gain 1620000 (+50%) pugilist experience points.

That's not terrible and the final boss is a breeze

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

KB + M is perfectly accessible without any fancy MMORPG mouses. The keys I use are the following:
  • Q, E, R, F, T, Z, X, C, V, G, Spacebar, 1-5, ~, Mouse 4, Mouse 5
  • Shift modifiers for all of these (except ~), CTRL modifiers for V and Mouse 5
The bottom row is frequently ignored despite it being easily reachable, as is Spacebar. Your most commonly used actions should be bound to the keys immediately around WASD (including any Shift modifiers), and lesser used actions should be assigned to number keys and harder to reach keys like G and T. I rebound Jump to Mouse 5, since it's out of the way though still reachable when necessary.

Here's what my keybinding setup looks like for SCH, as an example:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, I didn't realize that you had the flexibility to add various other combinations like ctrl-v (etc), or that you could have shift-modifiers. Shift-modifiers in particular will probably be enough for the near future. I'm a little hesitant to use keys like q or e, since that's really close to the wasd I use to move and I'm afraid I might mistakenly hit them. R, T, and V are far enough that they're doable, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I didn't realize that you had the flexibility to add various other combinations like ctrl-v (etc), or that you could have shift-modifiers. Shift-modifiers in particular will probably be enough for the near future. I'm a little hesitant to use keys like q or e, since that's really close to the wasd I use to move and I'm afraid I might mistakenly hit them. R, T, and V are far enough that they're doable, though.

If that worries you, it may be of interest to know that you can use MULTIPLE modifiers, like ctrl + shift + e, to make doubly sure you aren't firing them off inadvertently.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

There's always the danger of accidentally hitting a key, but that's just a matter of getting the muscle memory down. I have Q and E set to basic abilities (Bio II and Physick on my SCH in that screenshot), so even if I accidentally hit them, it's not the worst thing in the world.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I hope (or do we know if) the hunting hawk is in the HoH grab bag because I didn't snag one when prices dropped during the week that Diadem 2.0 was viable.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

It is. (in the gold bags, iirc)

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Ytlaya posted:

Are you ever able to have more than one >1* card in a deck? A bunch of opponents I've tried matches against seem almost impossible to deal with when I only have one card on par with theirs in my deck.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to whether you get one of the card drops after a match, or is it totally random?

After you collect 30 cards you use 2* cards as filler, and after you collect 60 cards 3* cards are your filler. Drops are totally random.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

does the default UI still only have 2 horizontal hotbars? most classes need 3 hotbars just to hold all your skills at 70, and I added a 4th side hotbar for stuff like mounts, LB, waymarks, sort armory macro, mechanics warning macro, etc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Griz posted:

does the default UI still only have 2 horizontal hotbars? most classes need 3 hotbars just to hold all your skills at 70, and I added a 4th side hotbar for stuff like mounts, LB, waymarks, sort armory macro, mechanics warning macro, etc.

I did this too, except it's three side hotbars for the stuff you mentioned, and two smaller ones for my class gearsets. This game has a lot of buttons

I've never had a problem with accidentally hitting Q or E when I didn't mean to, and they're easily my most valued hotbars; I use Q in particular for any OGCD I need to cast often (Jump, Acceleration), it's a great button and I strongly recommend including it in your repertoire

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i loving love hotbars, thank you ffxiv for letting me have so many

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I play at 1920x1200 and that looks extremely cramped to me. :x

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Leofish posted:

I hope (or do we know if) the hunting hawk is in the HoH grab bag because I didn't snag one when prices dropped during the week that Diadem 2.0 was viable.

I just got one, so you're in luck!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I have 3 class hotbars, 1 hotbar for LB/sprint/mount etc. and 3 class swap hotbars that pop out when i hit the bread button.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phone posted:

I play at 1920x1200 and that looks extremely cramped to me. :x

My three sidebars cover up my questlog and to date I have not summoned the energy to fix this. A screenshot of my UI would probably make a lot of you very angry

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So far, the only minions I've seen from HoH are baby brachiosaur, Bom Boko, and Miniature Minecart. I already have all of those, so maybe I'll just give them away to some Cactuar goon.

Hopefully I can get that Dwarf Rabbit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Griz posted:

The UI now has as many 1x12, 2x6, 3x4, 4x3, 6x2, and 12x1 hotbars as you want, up to a grand total of 10 total. You just gotta turn them on.