Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

Mission red planet is okay? Not amazing, but not bad, I'd say. Role selection with a bit of area control on the surface.

That's pretty much what I'm anticipating.

I love Cathala but he's almost got this weird alter-ego thing going where he put out Mission, Abyss, and Historio that all kinda appear to be variations on a theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Played Earth Reborn and Memoir 44 last night, first time for each. I wanted to try something Commands & Colors-y before GMT does its 2015 annual summer sale in 2020; I liked it! Earth Reborn, wow: we only did the first scenario, but if the rest of it is that thoughtfully-constructed, I am really excited. The interaction of order tiles, command points, and character activation is super interesting, even at a rudimentary level.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
People were super into sidereal confluence for a bit. Has it held up with repeat plays or was it another false messiah for the cult of the new?

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013
How is Galaxy Trucker at lower player counts, especially at 2 players?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

prokaryote posted:

How is Galaxy Trucker at lower player counts, especially at 2 players?

It's barely multiplayer to begin with, so not really that much different. Your ships will probably be a bit better 'cause of less competition, but at the same time, you're churning through the tiles much slower so it's trickier to find the ones you want.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

People were super into sidereal confluence for a bit. Has it held up with repeat plays or was it another false messiah for the cult of the new?

I'm still very hot to trot on it after 4+ plays, but it's a longish game with a fair bit of setup that's hard to onboard new people to. If you've got a group of 4+ folks who love economic games, it's amazing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Still owns. Taking a break from those negotiation games for a bit since I spent most of April and May playing them.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

First Martians is, by all accounts, extremely bad.

Nah, it's fine. It's just let down by a rulebook that is by no means amazing but also isn't nearly as bad as people make out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

homullus posted:

Played Earth Reborn and Memoir 44 last night, first time for each. I wanted to try something Commands & Colors-y before GMT does its 2015 annual summer sale in 2020; I liked it! Earth Reborn, wow: we only did the first scenario, but if the rest of it is that thoughtfully-constructed, I am really excited. The interaction of order tiles, command points, and character activation is super interesting, even at a rudimentary level.

Earth Reborn is my #1 favorite game that no one will play with me :shepface:

And yes, the rest of it is just as well done.

Check out the esoteric order of gamers' redesign for the character cards, they're great.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 3, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

Earth Reborn is my #1 favorite game that no one will play with me :shepface:

And yes, the rest of it is just as well done.

Check out the roof esoteric order of gamers' redesign for the character cards, they're great.

I've got it sitting there and figuring out how to store it was almost like playing a puzzle game in itself. Astounded at how inexpensive it was at the time when I grabbed it and the insane content.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

I've got it sitting there and figuring out how to store it was almost like playing a puzzle game in itself. Astounded at how inexpensive it was at the time when I grabbed it and the insane content.

Earth Reborn is a notable exception to plastic inserts always being useless.
I still threw away the smaller one holding the minis, but still

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Bottom Liner posted:

Ignacy is on record saying he's scared of his new game Detective getting hyped because of the backlash he got for First Martians :v:

I get to demo it tomorrow and will report back

start the hype train on that poo poo maybe we can scare him into not making games anymore

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Earth Reborn is the sci-fi Gloomhaven no one gave a poo poo about for some reason.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FulsomFrank posted:

Where are my good Mars games, dammit?

I've got Mission to Red Planet sitting unplayed on my shelf, maybe it will be the one to defeat the curse!

heard good things about the expanse game

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Deathlove posted:

Buy an organizer from 7gaming or brokentoken or meeplerealty or whereever and be amazed at how much eaaaaaaaasier everything is when you're just pulling out fully-fleshed trays and handing people boxes with their entire character in it.

You say that like I don't have the map tiles in an accordion folder and all the chits in multiple Plano boxes.

No, I didn't double the cost of the game on a fancy organizer, but I do have it quite decently organized and we use an app to avoid dealing with the monster AI cards.

It's still an unavoidable fact that Gloomhaven takes time to set up and break down. That time can be lessened and mitigated, but it's still longer than most games and if you only play a single scenario, that time is going to sour the experience.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah forgot to say that. He has this master designer helping him out and doesn’t take their advice. It’d be like me throwing out any numbers advice (any at all really, but especially numbers) from Dr. Knizia. :psyduck:

Not to say that roller coaster games can’t be done right. I particularly enjoy John Company and Bios Megafauna myself.

...Not sure where "roller coaster games" came from here, but I am also excited for that marble coaster game that was announced at last year's GenCon

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

I've got C&C: Napoleonics and love it. The system seems better suited to that era than WW2.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Triskelli posted:

...Not sure where "roller coaster games" came from here, but I am also excited for that marble coaster game that was announced at last year's GenCon

Bios Megafauna aptly calls the full game Achterbahn. I don’t think it’s a real term but Roller coaster games can be described as swingy but roller coaster is a more fitting term for more experience generator types of games. JC, BM, and Robinson Crusoe all have event cards.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Earth Reborn is a notable exception to plastic inserts always being useless.

Isn’t the hardest part of the game trying to fit everything back into that insert? It’s like a jigsaw puzzle from what I remember.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Earth Reborn is the sci-fi Gloomhaven no one gave a poo poo about for some reason.

Yeah, I’m sorry I didn’t buy it when it was getting blown out super-cheap everywhere.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Snowdonia Kickstarter is live and funded.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Servoret posted:

Isn’t the hardest part of the game trying to fit everything back into that insert? It’s like a jigsaw puzzle from what I remember.
Yes, the Earth Reborn insert is literally Tetris.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

$116 CDN

Goddamn! Not sure if that's even including the $18 in shipping too!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

$116 CDN

Goddamn! Not sure if that's even including the $18 in shipping too!

Looks like it's not, it says shipping added in pledge manager. (also 18 USD, so call it an even 140?)

Really tempting as Snowdonia is a great game and this edition looks amazing, but wallet pains.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I did not have a good time with Snowdonia. We drew nothing but fog and rain so the game basically played itself while we tried to eke out a few points here and there. The experience was so souring that we sold it immediately.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rchandra posted:

Looks like it's not, it says shipping added in pledge manager. (also 18 USD, so call it an even 140?)

Really tempting as Snowdonia is a great game and this edition looks amazing, but wallet pains.

Bloody pricey but I've heard the name bandied about a few times and theme looks appealing to my GF and I.

Is it yet another dry Worker Placement or is there something special here?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

discount cathouse posted:

While we're talking about traitor games, does anyone have opinions on Time Bomb aka Don't Mess with Cthulu? There is a slightly changed german version out now and it seems like it could be cool.

Jedit posted:

I've played Timebomb Evolution a few times. It's fun but not good. You can get into a situation where the terrorists know who each other are and then just pass the cutters back and forth. The only way for the SWAT to win then is if the terrorists get dealt all the defuses, and even then you still need to get lucky.

I've talked about this game here numerous times, extolling it because of how pure and quick of an experience it is. I think that problem is overstated, partially because the cultist team do not know who one another are at the start of the game. So they have to get lucky AND have figured out who one another are without the investigators (who outnumber them) figuring out who they are AND starting the round with control of the flashlight. Also, its mitigated in part by the game taking 15 minutes, so if it ends in an anticlimax, big whoop, just play again. Think of it like Love Letter, not The Resistance.

There is a fairly significant problem that people should know about :

Magnetic North posted:

This game certainly isn't perfect. Another big flaw is if you are an Investigator and get round after round of bupkis, you basically don't get to play the game. That's more critical than the luck factor to me. Also, I think the game is also improved by having an odd number of players because then the number of cultists is uncertain.

The odd number of players adds so much to the chaos. For instance, for a 5 player game, you might not have an ally as a cultist, but the added suspicion will work to your benefit.

I will add that I have played Insider since playing this game. Insider is loving fantastic and less random. But random is good sometimes, especially for a filler. I think you should try it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It's got the same problem it always has had, you need the right group, it's a bit fiddly and it looks ugly but it's very good at what it does.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So uh whats the deal with 7th continent and should I spend a billion dollars on it now that the Kickstarter is back open?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Was at a gaming event last week and got to play a few games that we're new(to me) or hadn't seen talked about in the thread.

Altiplano bag builder similar to Orleans. I liked the built in bag thinning mechanics of Deeds and storing tokens in your Warehouse. Also liked the way the Road action was balanced around not rushing more draws as it could make you waste the wild tokens.

Bunny Kingdom someone else further up called it casual and I think that's a great description. The non-confrontation area control was neat, drafting had interesting choices between Parchments and territory cards. An expansion comparable to Leaders in 7 Wonders would add a lot to the game.

Fort Sumter one of our guests brought this hot off the P500. Appreciate a GMT game that plays in 30 minutes. Only got to play twice as Unionist but the strategy of what Crisis Dimensions to go after was good. It's like a high speed version of Twilight Struggle. Not sure about the Final Crisis mechanic as that part of the game felt more random. A bunch of other guests played it during the week and enjoyed it.

Fox in the Forest great two player trick taking game. Play is to 21 points with 13 cards in each hand, points are accrued based on how many or how few tricks are taken, get more than 9 and you get 0 points for the round. Some of the cards have special abilities like changing trump suit or turn order. Really liked it.

Pikoko brand new from Origins, another trick taking game but in this one you can see your opponents hands but not your own. You bet on how many tricks you think your opponents will take and the person on your right plays your hand. Going to order a copy once it goes on sale.

Spirit Island finally got to see what the hype was all about and you were all right about it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Founders or Gloomhaven trip report

Overall - combines some of the better features of Terra Mystica with some of the better features of Catan and makes a pretty good game.

We just did a learning game this afternoon. It took us about 4h to unbox, organize, learn, and play a game, which isn't too bad considering all things. We were playing in a board game cafe, and there was some random dude who had just moved to town, and we just invited him to play with us - so it wa a 3p game. He seemed like a cool dude, and he had never played any Eurogame before, and he picked it up at the same speed as the rest of us. That's a good sign when it comes to design.

Each player chooses a different faction, which is asymmetrical according to starting resources and special abilities. The game proceeds on an Action-follow system much like Twilight Imperium, Puerto Rico, or Tiny Epic Galaxies. The active player chooses a major action and everyone around the table gets an opportunity to execute a minor action. Players -may- expand those available options for either major or minor actions as the game progresses, which can happen either through the player's own actions or through the board state.

Those actions largely use different mechanics - some are worker placement, some are deckbuilding, some involve map infrastructure creation, some include bidding, and some involve resource trading. None of these are large enough to call it a game of that genre - it is not A Deck Builder and not A Worker Placement game, but it includes these mechanics. If I were forced to assign a genre it'd call it an economic area control game.

Much of what drives good and bad decisions is players' ability to apply "my teamwork" - the game unfolds according to cooperative principles, but you can only have one winner. Every player will supply resources that every player needs, but players earn points according to how much they contribute. Whenever a building is constructed, each faction gets "paid" down the resource supply chain in VP for the resources that went towards constructing that building. I ended up winning the game because I inserted myself as a middle man in other player's supply chains and leeched enough points here and there.

It has more player interaction than in most Eurogames. We were consistently loving each other over on the map to try to edge out advantageous positions and to find ways to make asymmetrical deals.

It's not all smiles and sunshine, however. There are eight factions, and of those six we agreed that the colours of the tiles or cubes or whatever were so close as to be difficult to distinguish in cases (magenta-purple everything, orange-brown and white-grey cards and tiles). There are tons of fiddly bits in the box which don't easily repack after punching, a la (but not as bad as) Gloomhaven. Some of the cards apparently refer to game mechanics by different terms which i guess were the beta or playtesting versions. The game concepts also have an interdependence which makes it hard to read, and the rule books have no effective summaries or cross references (particularly for the concept of "ownership"). I read several walls of text aloud before we started, and I kept having to go back repeatedly. There was one rules question (do players follow the "vote" action?) which I couldn't resolve in the book anywhere.

Anyone else play it yet?

e.
Ah yes. I forgot to post abou tthe trickle-down points.

The system is easy, but I think the pieces could have been better printed to make it easier. There were a few times that we stopped and went "errr err uh..."

I'm not a good judge of game weight, but let's try relatively... it's heavier than Dungeon Petz but lighter than Dominant Species? I've only played my learning game so far, so it hasn't really settled in. Maybe similar to A Feast for Odin, in that the cognitive load gets pushed up a bit by "man there are lots of bits in this game" effect.

e.
The rules were not clear that each player gets an identical starting deck - Construction, Recruit &c. In a 2p game that adds "Income." For learning it's a lot like Terra Mystica - it seems opaque until the concepts of ownership, connectivity, and delivery all click, and once you are able to interpret the various symbols on the cards (on "Trade" especially, but the # symbol used to denote $ was also a culprit here) it rapidly becomes pretty clear.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 4, 2018

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bum the Sad posted:

So uh whats the deal with 7th continent and should I spend a billion dollars on it now that the Kickstarter is back open?

The deal with 7th continent is ahahaha nooooooooooooooooo.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

The deal with 7th continent is ahahaha nooooooooooooooooo.

Explain.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, so the conceit is that you've got this entire, massive island with a fixed layout, secrets hidden all over the place. And you, brave explorer, need to plumb its depths to get rid of the curse that's upon you! Surely this will be an epic quest!

Except that the story can't really, for example, take into account anything you've already done, so it's instantly just a mile wide and an inch deep. And the actual gameplay is kind of just getting cards and using cards, or challenges that just aren't that interesting (like, 'Where's Waldo' style challenges). So yes, there's a lot of Seventh Continent to explore, and it will take you a long time to complete, but it just never really reaches the point of being actually fun.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay, so the conceit is that you've got this entire, massive island with a fixed layout, secrets hidden all over the place. And you, brave explorer, need to plumb its depths to get rid of the curse that's upon you! Surely this will be an epic quest!

Except that the story can't really, for example, take into account anything you've already done, so it's instantly just a mile wide and an inch deep. And the actual gameplay is kind of just getting cards and using cards, or challenges that just aren't that interesting (like, 'Where's Waldo' style challenges). So yes, there's a lot of Seventh Continent to explore, and it will take you a long time to complete, but it just never really reaches the point of being actually fun.

Have you actually played it? Note that this is not an aggressive question or attempting to bait you. I know that trusted second-hand info can be worthwhile to pass on, just curious. I think what you described is likely spot-on from what I've heard.

7th Continent is, on the surface, something I think I'd enjoy, and despite the negative association it has on TG and the admitted flaws, it is generally well-regarded (for what it is) elsewhere. I do believe that SVWAG did not like it, though, and I generally agree with them too.

Anyway, it's a moot point since I'm not in the position to buy a $100-150+ game that I'm vaguely interested in this month and it'll disappear forever afterward (apart from the secondary market, and lol no).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Bum the Sad posted:

Where can you actually buy it?

If it's not a good option, are there other good co-op games where you play through a story with people? Or just very good co-op games that are easier to buy?

I already have Gloomhaven for fighting and whatnot, Zombicide, mechs vs minions and Pandemic/Pandemic Legacy.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

foutre posted:

If it's not a good option, are there other good co-op games where you play through a story with people? Or just very good co-op games that are easier to buy?

I already have Gloomhaven for fighting and whatnot, Zombicide, mechs vs minions and Pandemic/Pandemic Legacy.

They reopened their Kickstarter management thing
https://app.crowdox.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-what-goes-up-must-come-down

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Played Finished, a tiny solo puzzle game from Friedman Friese (sic?).

The idea is you go through a deck (1-48) some number of times, pulling out numbers in order. As you pull out hands and put them back at the bottom of the deck, you can sort the groups (of 3 cards). Cards also have actions you can take (paying in "sweets") in order to draw more cards and otherwise rearrange them faster.

It isn't very compelling or difficult or interesting.

The rules as written also seem to have a pretty bad mistake - you can extend the game indefinitely (and easily) by tucking the "48" (which is the card that triggers you to lose "coffee" and eventually lose the game) each time it comes up using a certain action, instead of ever moving it from "Present" to "Past". I won my first game very handily by abusing that, and my second game (on normal, and with that exploit house-ruled away) by not being really stupid. Perhaps some luck, but I feel like the core strategy is pretty clear.

So yeah... I guess it's kind of like Friday, a very basic puzzle game with a low skill ceiling and negligible replayability. It's more unique mechanically, but also lacks that game's personality.

Also, for some reason, I'll probably keep buying these things.

Oh, and 7th Continent is hyper trash. I should get around to selling it and another pile of bad games.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

foutre posted:

For playing through a story co-op, the Arkham Horror LCG is fantastic albeit somewhat expensive to keep up with. There's a thread on it in TG.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

A more concise description is that it's a Choose Your Own Adventure novel for up to four players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Thanks! I couldn't find that page for the life of me.

CuddlyZombie posted:

For playing through a story co-op, the Arkham Horror LCG is fantastic albeit somewhat expensive to keep up with. There's a thread on it in TG.

Cool, I'll look into that too.