Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like the only way I'd like a The Thing solo is if they went full camp with it. Like the Batman: Brave and the Bold animated series a few years ago, make it so that the hero is the straight man to every revoltin' development in the universe.

I agree with this. I love the Thing when he's playing off someone else, he's a great buddy hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

All this talk of Ben as a leading man, and no mention of his stand-alone cartoon where he turns into a human teenager?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Jv8zbUsf4

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

All this talk of Ben as a leading man, and no mention of his stand-alone cartoon where he turns into a human teenager?

RING THING DO YOUR THING!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Evil Mastermind posted:

He was originally a fighter pilot in World War 2. It's embarrassing how much they've taken away from him over the years.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
/\/\ He lied about his age during enlistment.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wouldn't it have been better to move the truck off the tracks instead of loving up the train tracks and potentially derailing a train?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I remember Dan Slott's short-lived Thing book (from back in 2005) being pretty good.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Thing just loving off during Civil War because he thought it was so stupid and hanging out with the chill French superheroes is honestly one of my fav arcs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mover posted:

Thing just loving off during Civil War because he thought it was so stupid and hanging out with the chill French superheroes is honestly one of my fav arcs

I'm not going to defend it as a whole thing, but there was a bunch of cool poo poo that happened during Civil War.

The whole was less than the sum of its parts.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
From what I've heard, most of the cool poo poo that happened in Civil War was from heroes saying "gently caress THAT poo poo, I'm taking my vacation until this all blows over."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Keeshhound posted:

From what I've heard, most of the cool poo poo that happened in Civil War was from heroes saying "gently caress THAT poo poo, I'm taking my vacation until this all blows over."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

It's more appropriate for the badass panel thread than the funny one but even in the main series you have Spider-Man fighting Mr. Fantastic and The Invisible Woman destroying Taskmaster.

Mark Millar can be good at comics, he just doesn't always apply himself (Bryan Hitch did do the heavy lifting on that stuff).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

VanSandman posted:

Counterpoint: The Thing sucks and is incredibly boring. Somebody post those pages. You know the ones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Turns out the last page is my people

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Off brand Justice League :allears:

Plastic Man x Flash :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the story with the Spock-eared cowboy? Not a reference to Moebius's Blueberry, is it?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I desperately need Ben Grimm to be the Foggy to She-Hulk's Lawyerin' in Law and Order:MCU.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phy posted:

What's the story with the Spock-eared cowboy? Not a reference to Moebius's Blueberry, is it?

I was thinking Jonah Hex since they all seemed liked DC pastiches but I hadn't noticed the ears

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Phy posted:

It’s either that or Lucky Luke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Le Cowboy is not a very fleshed out character. I think "howdy mon ami" might be his entire vocabulary.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

I didn't read it, but I know Kirkman invented a kinda cool new gay character then brutally killed him.

Freedom Ring (which is a cringeworthy name in 2018), he could alter reality, but only within like a four foot radius around himself, it's the kinda thing a good writer could go whole hog on with cool poo poo but still be able to maintain decent stakes for the comic, except he got stabbed a million time at once by an evil alternate universe Tony Stark called Iron Maniac.

That actually would have been a good character to bring back with zero explanation as to how they're alive again after Secret Wars.

Freedom Ring got a Cosmic Cube that only worked like 15 feet around him. He decides to use this to fight evil.

This is good.

The method of fighting evil was doing stuff like making jet packs and bazookas. Not amazing but okay.

On one of his first big outings he decides to fight the Abomination. A guy he knows next to nothing about, but figures how bad can he be.

The net effect of fighting a guy who smashes the Hulk on the regs is Freedom Ring ends up a paraplegic. Because it turns out making jet packs and bazookas doesn’t cut it against a guy who can bench press towns.

He eventually gets serious by the end of the series and figures out how to fix his body and really cut loose with what he can do. Like make himself tougher and heal himself and not make the same mistakes as before.

He then fights an evil version of Ironman and gets sliced to pieces, proving that he just didn’t learn from his previous mistakes.

Moral of the story was Freedom Ring was a dumb hero. And him dying was one of the things that convince
Tony to do the Avengers training school.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The characters in a story can only be as smart as the writer

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The Question IRL posted:

Freedom Ring got a Cosmic Cube that only worked like 15 feet around him. He decides to use this to fight evil.

This is good.

The method of fighting evil was doing stuff like making jet packs and bazookas. Not amazing but okay.

On one of his first big outings he decides to fight the Abomination. A guy he knows next to nothing about, but figures how bad can he be.

The net effect of fighting a guy who smashes the Hulk on the regs is Freedom Ring ends up a paraplegic. Because it turns out making jet packs and bazookas doesn’t cut it against a guy who can bench press towns.

He eventually gets serious by the end of the series and figures out how to fix his body and really cut loose with what he can do. Like make himself tougher and heal himself and not make the same mistakes as before.

He then fights an evil version of Ironman and gets sliced to pieces, proving that he just didn’t learn from his previous mistakes.

Moral of the story was Freedom Ring was a dumb hero. And him dying was one of the things that convince
Tony to do the Avengers training school.

The Ring is then acquired by his Skrull neighbor, Crusader, who uses it to create a harem of scantily clad skrull girls to feed him grapes while he watches TV.

Crusader later goes on to save the world before being murdered by racists.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Turns out the last page is my people

why would you even have a bound set of telephone books

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
For some reason I always put Freedom Ring and Gravity together in my head. I love Gravity though.

Zereth posted:

They're collector's items!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Oh, Doom removed all Richards entries from every phonebook, then placed them all into that collection knowing that the fantastic four's own hubris would finish the job.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VanSandman posted:

Counterpoint: The Thing sucks and is incredibly boring. Somebody post those pages. You know the ones.

<runs into thread at incredible speed>

DID SOMEONE SAY THE THING SUCKS

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It’s not strictly a comic but the Thing was also great in Marvel Heroes ( :rip: ) because he

a) had a great VA that was just full of Aunt Petunias and Revoltin’ Developments

and b) had a really light hearted power set that was a mix of pro-wrestling elbow drops and whipping an entire random hot dog truck at mooks, with crazy stuff like calling in Sue to make a giant, spiked, force hamster ball that you would then roll around in for a while.

e: you’d be going up against Surtr in the heart of muspelheim and a couple of kids in hoodies from Yancy Street would be tagging along throwing pies at demons

Mover fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 4, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Spidey called up him to help fight a psychotic alien parasite and he showed up to do it. Ya'll leave Ben alone :colbert:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The gently caress have you ever done Hawkeye? Other than fly a jetpack into an engine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cassa posted:

The gently caress have you ever done Hawkeye? Other than fly a jetpack into an engine.

Something something Kree/Skrull War?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He murdered Bruce Banner

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The Thing was my dad's favorite super hero so I will not accept any of you bad mouthing his childhood hero :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Samuringa posted:

The characters in a story can only be as smart as the writer

That's sort of silly, if everybody who wrote, say, Reed Richards was as smart or smarter than Reed Richards, they would've enormously wasted their live by sitting around writing comic books.

The thing is to be elegant and discreet and strategic about what you show and what you keep behind the curtain. Stan Lee didn't need to know how to open a portal into another dimension to come up with the idea of sending people into the Negative Zone, ditto Mark Gruenwald didn't need to know how to beat a dozen guys up to come up with cool moves for Captain America to do in a fight. People have written heaps of papers about how Proust, who was not a composer or painter, so persuasively sells the reader on the genius of Venteuil or Elstir-- it's more than Proust just being a super sharp critic and appreciator of art and music, it's a sleight of hand that every writer does.

My thing with Freedom Ring is that Kirkman had the admirable idea to make a new superhero with an interesting power-set gay, and the potentially interesting idea of subverting the idea of having a rookie learn the ropes by having a good-intentioned but rash goofball really bite off more than they can chew with tragic consequences. If he could be convinced to rein in his tendencies towards grand guignol excess, he might even be exceptionally well-equipped to tackle the later story, kind of a twist on Doug Ramsey's arbitrary and depressing but strangely earned death in Simonson's New Mutant, a story which I simultaneously hate and kind of admire. The problem, and what left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, is that he decided to tell both stories with the same character, which wound up looking a lot like a straight writer carelessly disposing of a gay character for shock, as well as a waste of a gay character at a time when those were significantly thinner on the ground. Taken on it's own, the trajectory of Freedom Ring's carelessness with his powers was pretty compelling and nicely paced, even if it ended in what I felt was a really tasteless and tone-deaf fashion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Saying The Thing sucks is like saying Jack Kirby sucks. Even if that's somehow your opinion, you should know better than to say it out loud.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_cdXm2uUI

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lurdiak posted:

Saying The Thing sucks is like saying Jack Kirby sucks. Even if that's somehow your opinion, you should know better than to say it out loud.

Kirby was undoubtedly a genius and a master of comics as a craft, but some of his ideas aren’t as timeless as the rest.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The Thing owns bones, and whoever was writing Hawkeye as a total jerk should gently caress right off. :colbert:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The part that sticks out to me is that apparently the worst that can be said about the guy whose core character trait is "your dad's best friend" is that he has a handful of catchphrases that he maybe uses too much?

Like, if anyone comes off looking bad there it's the humorless, cynical pre-teen version of Hawkeye who wants to poo poo on him for not hiring a writer to come up with fresh rock puns or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving love the Thing but his schtick is annoying. Doesn't mean he ain't lovable.