Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Good point. DoFo's mission in Toronto was to prove that government didn't work, I have absolute faith in his ability to succeed as Premier of Ontario.

Horwath's whole dental/Ontario Benefits thing was the same benefits for people without benefits idea.

And it looks the PCs are hard at work. What a huge waste of resources, now Justin's going to impose one on us to offset his pipeline.

quote:

TORONTO — Ontario Premier Doug Ford today confirmed that, as the first order of business of Ontario's Government for the People, his cabinet revoked the regulation that punishes Ontario residents at the gas pump through a wasteful cap-and-trade carbon tax regime; this measure comes into effect July 3, 2018. In order to fulfill this election commitment, the Government of Ontario will immediately begin an orderly wind-down of all programs funded out of cap-and-trade carbon tax revenues.

"Every cent spent from the cap-and-trade slush fund is money that has been taken out of the pockets of Ontario families and businesses," said Ford. "We believe that this money belongs back in the pockets of people. Cancelling the cap-and-trade carbon tax will result in lower prices at the gas pump, on your home heating bills and on virtually every other product that you buy."

According to the Auditor General, who conducted an audit of the program, the cap-and-trade system could cost Ontario consumers and businesses $8 billion, with a negligible impact on the province's carbon emissions.

"Cap-and-trade and carbon tax schemes are no more than government cash grabs that do nothing for the environment, while hitting people in the wallet in order to fund big government programs," said Ford. "I promised that the party with taxpayers' dollars was over and that this would include scrapping the cap-and-trade carbon tax slush fund. Today we are keeping that promise."

To ensure an orderly wind-down of programs funded through the cap-and-trade carbon tax, Ford committed that his government will honour arrangements where contracts have already been signed and orders have already been made, such as energy efficient insulation and window retrofits. Decisions to continue any specific initiatives currently supported by the fund will need to be paid for out of the tax base and will be made on a case-by-case basis in alignment with the Ford government's Plan For the People and the upcoming value-for-money audit.

"We are getting Ontario out of the carbon tax business," concluded Ford. "Our focus will be to give people lower gas prices, lower energy bills and a real break in their wallets in order to get our economy going and create jobs. Help is here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

How much do these managers get paid on average and how does their compensation compare against the same job in the private sector? I don't have enough information to know how emotional to feel about this pay freeze.

Depends on the specific position. I'm a non-union healthcare employee and I probably make 20% less than my friends in similar private sector jobs. Maybe 30% if you count they all generally have some sort of bonus program. It's still a decent salary, don't get me wrong. And the fact the work is extremely cool, unique and rewarding is what motivated most of us to take a pay cut to take it. However, restrictions on raises have caused a serious issue retaining good people in the long run as it is. Whenever we lose someone pretty much the entire reason is not enough advancement in salary.

For all the bluster, in general professionals in public sector positions are anywhere from slightly to massively underpaid compared similar private sector positions.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Is there a public list of programs that were funded entirely or primarily by the Cap-and-trade revenues?

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/1014158405504815104

Hahahaha. How's that break in your wallet feeling 905 commuters?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 3, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
You sure you want these guys on the bus with you?

:catstare:

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/1014163589765230594

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Saying that OHIP+ was cancelled is the dumbest of takes. Having a chain of insurance providers is a totally common thing, and putting OHIP+ first when it was already far more narrow in terms of coverage vs. private plans generated a lot of work and bureaucracy just to line insurance companies pockets, since private prescription coverage didn't go down one cent when it was implemented.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Are you seriously asking why a public option should be the default if it doesn't reduce your premiums?

Eh, sounds like she missed anyway.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Are you seriously asking why a public option should be the default if it doesn't reduce your premiums?

I don't particularly care about paying less, but if insurance companies are going to charge me for full prescription coverage for my kids, I'd rather insurance companies pay for prescription drugs over the government.

If OHIP+ was truly universal coverage (or anywhere close to it), I'd much rather have a system where the insurance companies are irrelevant when it comes to pharmacare, but that's not what the Liberals passed.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Eh, sounds like she missed anyway.

She missed the pedestrian she was shooting at, but hit a nearby cyclist.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shouldn't have been standing there

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Ban standing there

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was the fault of a bike lane, somehow. Ban bike lanes!

I was surprised to read the shotgun wielder was only 21. I would have thought that it was some kind of broke brain boomer or something. My ageism at work :negative:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Hungry Computer posted:

She missed the pedestrian she was shooting at, but hit a nearby cyclist.

If she had just stayed in her car and run the pedestrian down then the police probably wouldn't have even bothered to file a report.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Our former PM is probably undermining the current administration by colluding with a foreign terrorist organization.

Isn't the current PM also doing this?

Enjoy your F35 air show

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Our former PM is probably undermining the current administration by colluding with a foreign terrorist organization.

yeah but he sort of balanced the budget that one time

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

xtal posted:

Isn't the current PM also doing this?

Enjoy your F35 air show

I think he is referring to Harper's frequent visits to Trump and the Republican party.

Or Trump's Russian controllers?

Hard to say when you run a group that far right conservatives the world over all tend to visit or hire for advice.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
She hit both the pedestrian and the cyclist, you guys have terrible reading comprehension skills.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sure, but not very well.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
That wouldn't have happened if the pedestrian and cyclist had guns. And cars.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Sure, but not very well.

Men shoot pedestrians, women shoot at pedestrians. Media patriarchy strikes again.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
What choice did she have but to shoot wildly into the public.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

That wouldn't have happened if the pedestrian and cyclist had guns. And cars.

A better world is possible. We can build it.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
:unsmigghh:

Bruno cherry festival cancelled over summer jobs program

quote:

The religious group that runs the Bruno Cherry Sunday festival refused to sign a document acknowledging abortion and LGBT rights, disqualifying the group from applying for three student positions for the festival.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

gently caress em

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the Financial Post usually virulently anti Liberal? Any time my feed gets a Recommendation from them it's some editorial complaining about how the feds are destroying Canada.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postmedia in general usually are, yeah. They run NatPo and The Sun papers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't realize they were from Postmedia. Figures.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Duggler posted:

gently caress em

:agreed:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

*notches another "CBC is terrible and should be destroyed" mark into his keyboard*

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

bigots posted:

"We felt that it goes against the dignity of the human person and doesn't uphold the actual Charter of Rights and Freedoms because of being free to make your choice as a Catholic organization," said Serblowski.

In an extremely Jeopardy contestant voice: "What is cognitive dissonance?"

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 4, 2018

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

The Duggler posted:

gently caress em

cbc sez posted:

The religious group that runs the Bruno Cherry Sunday festival refused to sign a document acknowledging abortion and LGBT rights, disqualifying the group from applying for three student positions for the festival.

"The amount of time and energy that volunteers had to put into it was too much," said spokesperson Vicky Serblowski. "So, we had to make the hard decision to cancel it for this year."

Three more volunteer jobs breaks them? What is this festival, a single loving table of goodies with a pair of crusty old farts manning the cash box?

gently caress em indeed

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/07/03/premier-doug-ford-puts-new-police-oversight-laws-on-hold.html

Oh. Great.

Because police forces do not need to be transparent or accountable.
:doh:

"You've got nothing to fear if you've done nothing wrong" - rich white guy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why can't they just get some people from their church?? Is 3 people that loving hard to find ??

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/07/03/premier-doug-ford-puts-new-police-oversight-laws-on-hold.html

Oh. Great.

Because police forces do not need to be transparent or accountable.
:doh:

"You've got nothing to fear if you've done nothing wrong" - rich white guy

My immediate reaction was oh for fucks sake. This is the kind of poo poo we knew was coming though, and plays right to the Conservative base.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Government of the people folks!

Didn't know StubHub was a big PC doner.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Sell Ontario to the us

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Warren Kinsella is super spiced about the kokanee grope

quote:

IF JUSTIN TRUDEAU WAS A CLIENT

Both of us find that laughable, believe me. So there’s at least one thing we agree on.

Something on which we likely wouldn’t agree is this: the problem caused by the reappearance of the Creston Valley Advance – from so far away, from so long ago – simply isn’t going away. If just yesterday’s Washington Post, CNN and others are any indication, the groping story is worming its way into the popular consciousness, and getting bigger.

Trudeau and his senior team obviously believe otherwise. That’s why they have continued to rely on a lawyer’s slippery sophistry – that Trudeau doesn’t recall any “negative interactions” – in the face of ridicule and disbelief, even from Liberals. But it simply isn’t working. It isn’t.

For staff, stories like this are very difficult. Talking to your boss about policy and politics is easy. Talking to him about how he conducts himself in private – talking about sexual conduct – is very, very awkward. I feel sorry for the staffers who have been assigned to deal with this mess.

So, to those who are trying to put out this dumpster fire, here’s some advice, gratis.

1. It’s never the break-in, it’s the cover-up. The victim wrote that editorial, and it went unrebutted for almost two decades. It is fact, now. Efforts to deny it or dilute it won’t work. Claiming she doesn’t want to talk about it – and insisting that we should all therefore drop the subject – won’t work either. The issue is the conduct of the Prime Minister of Canada.

2. Lawyers stink at comms. Everything he says needs to be run past the lawyers, yes, because we are (a) ostensibly talking about what is considered criminal offence and (b) there is no statute of limitations on same. But the lawyers should not be deciding what is effective communications strategy – because they mostly all suck at it. (Don’t believe me? Consider how effective the “don’t recall negative interactions” line has been in putting out the dumpster fire.)

3. Falling on one’s sword, in politics, works – as long as you are not doing it every day. There is a lot of affection for Trudeau in this country, still. He needs to take control of this, personally. He needs to say only one thing.
This is what he needs to say, straight to camera – no staff, no lawyerly talking points. “Eighteen years ago, my Dad was dying. Eighteen years ago, I went to an event to receive a donation because my brother had been killed. I went to that event, and I was not in a good frame of mind. I drank too much. I don’t recall doing what this woman said I did, at all – but if she says I did it, I did it. I apologized to her then, and I apologize to her now. I am ashamed of my conduct. I am embarrassed. I am disgusted by what she says I did. I have reached out to her, and spoken to her directly, to apologize and tell her that I intend to take proactive, positive steps to address my conduct and ensure this never happens again. That includes not drinking alcohol.”

4. He then needs to disappear for the rest of the Summer, and get some counselling. That isn’t comms advice, but it’s what a man who aspires to be a feminist should do.

Will he? Beats me.

But he should.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm Doug Ford and I'm suspending OHIP until we can do a thorough line by line breakdown to make sure it's protecting Ontarians.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Warren Kinsella is super spiced about the kokanee grope

PostMedia is using up the last of it's cash reserves paying it's columnists to desperately make this a thing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's an article in the Star about Bombardier recalling most of the new TTC streetcars to fix welding defects but I didn't click it because the headline seems sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

eXXon posted:

There's an article in the Star about Bombardier recalling most of the new TTC streetcars to fix welding defects but I didn't click it because the headline seems sufficient.

Only else to know is that 67 of the 89 cars, takes approximately 19 weeks to fix, and the repairs are expected to last into 2022 lol