Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

If you had to pick a single Dish of Earth, it would probably be something like chicken caesar salad. And if we had a single personality trait like the klingons had honor and ferengis had greed, we'd be... dyspeptic? Or faintly out of breath all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DebonaireD posted:

If you had to pick a single Dish of Earth, it would probably be something like chicken caesar salad. And if we had a single personality trait like the klingons had honor and ferengis had greed, we'd be... dyspeptic? Or faintly out of breath all the time?

Swedish meatballs.

Really though, based on worldwide US food culture it'd be some kind of simple chicken. Fried chicken is probably the most universal food wherever there are chickens.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think most space fiction rests on humanity's defining trait being diplomacy - including Star Trek - but I'd pick our constant need for symbolic tribalism.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I heard once that onions are the most universal food. Every known cuisine in the world uses something from the onion family.

So the universal earth dish is just an onion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when humans get homesick they just chow down on raw unpeeled onions

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

when humans get homesick they just chow down on raw unpeeled onions

Just lol if you don't already do this.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm intolerant to onions and wish we had replicators already because I'm tired of blowing my rear end in a top hat out everytime someone thinks their chili, hamburgers, pasta, cheese, soup, nachos, tacos or literally any possible combination of non-dessert foods should have loving onions mixed into it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm intolerant to onions and wish we had replicators already because I'm tired of blowing my rear end in a top hat out everytime someone thinks their chili, hamburgers, pasta, cheese, soup, nachos, tacos or literally any possible combination of non-dessert foods should have loving onions mixed into it.

Username / post combo.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

How the gently caress can you be intolerant to ONIONS

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I’m ludicrously allergic to onions on skin tests but eat them all the time and feel nothing?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

How the gently caress can you be intolerant to ONIONS

I don't do it on purpose. It's one of those things that isn't exactly well researched but I'm pretty sure it's Allium sensitivity. I used to randomly get violently ill and not think anything of it. I don't think it's classified as an allergy.

After enough time and anecdotal evidence I've conclusively tied Onions to Rectal Death in my case.

I can even tell which Pho restaurants cook their broth with the onions in it or add the onions as a garnish at serving based on if I can finish a bowl before dying.

I also had a really bad year where I just thought I was actually dying or something because I was sick almost constantly. It turns out my Ex girlfriend was putting onion powder and minced onions into all of my food because she said "It's just a psychological issue, if you get used to them it'll be fine." Cue me nearly making GBS threads myself on my walk to work every day.

Edit: Allium also covers garlic, but I loving love garlic and will put up with it to have some nice rear end garlic bread or pasta or something. But people also don't put garlic in 100% of foods like onions either.

The ending of Holes where they find a patch of huge wild onions to survive off of? I'd literally loving die.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 4, 2018

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

My condolences on your tragic flavor allergy

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Since we're discussing Star Trek food, I'd like to take this opportunity to show that I am the proud owner of the Official Star Trek Cooking Manual from 1978.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo did somebody just imply that Tony Abbot is human

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
especially human?!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Since we're discussing Star Trek food, I'd like to take this opportunity to show that I am the proud owner of the Official Star Trek Cooking Manual from 1978.

This is phenomenal. That's a pretty good chicken sandwich recipe too.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm the token Asian character with fortune cookies as favorite food

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is phenomenal. That's a pretty good chicken sandwich recipe too.
That thing I got on Amazon for like $11 but I've seen it on ebay for over a hundred.

I was at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum a month ago and they had the Neelix coockbook for sale in the gift shop for like $25.

Any recipie in particular you want to see?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

wtf this is incredible

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Show me McCoy’s pie

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Show me McCoy’s pie

Pecan or Georgia Chicken?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i want to see the little story which precedes 'steak'

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
ok, imma go on a beer run and post those recipes in a bit

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Onion pie, Saurian brandy and Nasi Goreng please.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I refuse to believe Klingons would eat Gingerbread but would like to see Chekov's Beef Stroganov for potentially making.

Oh and also whatever Sulu's "Fortune Cookies" are for simple curiosity.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
isn't it a mass effect thing as well that the klingon equivalent love gingerbread? maybe this is a reference i had not fully appreciated

boop

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

isn't it a mass effect thing as well that the klingon equivalent love gingerbread? maybe this is a reference i had not fully appreciated

boop

I guess Worf likes prune juice, so dumb aliens that talk about Glory and Honor might have a different idea of our cuisine I guess.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really want some loving hasperat

I mean either the version described in the show or the prop version sounds good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pentyne posted:

Swedish meatballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2Ti8IoQ_M

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Pecan or Georgia Chicken?

Chicken

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i want to see the little story which precedes 'steak'

Captain Kirks favorite meal is 4-5 pounds of fillet mignon, apparently:

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That's not suprising tbh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

would eat

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Kirk was most commonly seen eating brightly-colored food cubes. :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powered Descent posted:

Mmm, food cubes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Powered Descent posted:

Well, this is pre-replicator days. Gotta save the pounds of meat for a REAL special occasion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lazyhound posted:

I’m ludicrously allergic to onions on skin tests but eat them all the time and feel nothing?

Your outside can be allergic to stuff your inside isn't and vice versa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I guess Worf likes prune juice, so dumb aliens that talk about Glory and Honor might have a different idea of our cuisine I guess.

They don't like cooked meat (having carnivore digestive systems and all), so not like they'd be too impressed by Earth meat dishes. Maybe sushi. Makes sense they'd like something that they may not have an existing equivalent of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They don't like cooked meat (having carnivore digestive systems and all), so not like they'd be too impressed by Earth meat dishes. Maybe sushi. Makes sense they'd like something that they may not have an existing equivalent of.

I always assumed its just the fact that prune juice is loving disgusting and so is Klingon food so naturally Worf would find it amazing.