Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I put this game down forever ago because I wandered into the city of tears and got stuck and couldn't beat Soul Master

but I think that was actually the wrong way to go and I don't even have to beat him? I'm bad at metroidvanias. I should give it another go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That is the right way but so is every other possible direction.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yes you get a pretty good ROI once you max it out.

Any good strategy for getting Geo? I have gathering swarm which makes it a lot easier.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Strictly speaking Soul Master is not a boss you have to beat to complete the game, no. You probably want to eventually so you can get access to certain upgrades, but there's no reason you have to take them on where you're at.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Your third boss after False Knight and Hornet is going to be a big jump in difficulty no matter whether you choose Soul Master or another option. I say go for Soul Master since his drop is extremely useful.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you ever find yourself getting frustrated at a boss, just go wander somewhere else for a while. There's always three or four different things to do next, so once you manage to crack one it'll give you the skills/upgrades/confidence to take out the rest.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Any good strategy for getting Geo? I have gathering swarm which makes it a lot easier.

Honestly Geo becomes irrelevant after a while. Gathering swarm is probably the my important factor in maximizing Geo but it's hardly necessary.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Geo will feel pretty sparse at the beginning of the game but don't worry about it. As long as you aren't constantly dying and losing your shade you should be fine. Just stop by the bank every now and then to drop off whatever you have. By the end of the game you'll be swimming in geo and won't care at all about it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Seriously, this is some very good advice for any player wishing to experience everything Hollow Knight has to offer: Make sure you have enough money stored in the bank. Late game you will be swimming in geo, but in the middle game there will be the occasional very useful large-ish expenditure that you will want to make ASAFP. The bank is there, you should use it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god...white palace...this is where you learn to git gud at platforming...

:cry:

Would never attempt this poo poo without hiveblood that’s for sure.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Dumb question: do you get anything for maxing out your bank account? I’m thinking of Majora’s Mask where you get a piece of heart for depositing 5000 rupees.

Yes.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh god...white palace...this is where you learn to git gud at platforming...

:cry:

Would never attempt this poo poo without hiveblood that’s for sure.

Better idea than hiveblood: the charm that gives you heal on getting damaged + the charm that doubles your healing per soul. You can't *quite* go on infinitely with it, but you can take damage like 50 times before dying. And if there's even a single one of those living creatures, you can dream nail it to fill up all the way This has the benefit of not requiring you to wait the fairly long amount of time hiveblood needs to regen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you beat Ummuruu if you don't trigger your buddy to show up? Or does he always just show up regardless of what you do? Didn't seem like I could damage it without the other guy softening him up

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Man, while I'll maintain that the Flukes so far are the worst in terms of auditory torture (:kheldragar:) DeepNest is topping it in terms of existential horror. Everything is a silverfish or a a centipede. The enemies. The walls. The spike pits. Both the background and the foreground. And I think at one point I saw a ghost of myself? that disappeared when I got to that junction in the tunnels? what the gently caress? :gonk:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Deepest rules because everything about its design makes it very clear that you are not loving welcome.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

RoboCicero posted:

Man, while I'll maintain that the Flukes so far are the worst in terms of auditory torture (:kheldragar:) DeepNest is topping it in terms of existential horror. Everything is a silverfish or a a centipede. The enemies. The walls. The spike pits. Both the background and the foreground. And I think at one point I saw a ghost of myself? that disappeared when I got to that junction in the tunnels? what the gently caress? :gonk:

Keep going that way, something fun awaits you

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

How do you beat Ummuruu if you don't trigger your buddy to show up? Or does he always just show up regardless of what you do? Didn't seem like I could damage it without the other guy softening him up

Latter, Quirrel has your back.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm getting a little frustrated with Deepnest myself. I feel like I've been wandering around forever and have no idea how thorough I am because it's so dark. I keep finding NPCs that don't do anything, making me assume I have to come back later. The latest is after I kept going in one direction for a long time and found some mask guy who just talks to me. I took a break and I'm sure I'm gonna feel hella lost when I get back. I'm sure glad I can suspend the game on the Switch because I can't remember the last fuckin time I saw a bench.

I appreciate the scope and the "go wherever" nature of the game tho. It's funny I just beat Mantis Lords and my strategy was entirely dependent on that charge spin move I found by deciding to explore a random direction right before.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Gathering this essence is taking forever and is annoying. Considering just cheat engine-ing the last couple hundred.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I have rescued all the grubs. I have come to the conclusion that Hollow Knight is the worst game ever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mister No posted:

Gathering this essence is taking forever and is annoying. Considering just cheat engine-ing the last couple hundred.

You get more than enough for everything just by killing all the dream ghosts and bosses.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I figured, my issue is primarily the finding them and traveling to and fro. If they were new areas I would be less "meh" about it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

I'm getting a little frustrated with Deepnest myself. I feel like I've been wandering around forever and have no idea how thorough I am because it's so dark. I keep finding NPCs that don't do anything, making me assume I have to come back later. The latest is after I kept going in one direction for a long time and found some mask guy who just talks to me. I took a break and I'm sure I'm gonna feel hella lost when I get back. I'm sure glad I can suspend the game on the Switch because I can't remember the last fuckin time I saw a bench.

I appreciate the scope and the "go wherever" nature of the game tho. It's funny I just beat Mantis Lords and my strategy was entirely dependent on that charge spin move I found by deciding to explore a random direction right before.

I know spoiler tags are inherently a warning sign, but here's an extra warning that in these tags I will tell you exactly how to reach 2 different Deepnest exits from where you are.

1. There's an exit, like, right there. The screen immediately up from the entrance to the mask maker is not Deepnest anymore.

2. So the entrance to the mask maker is in a generally vertical room, right? If you go down, and head left immediately after the vertical room ends, and just keep going left (won't take long, it's actually fairly close), you will reach another exit.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Dancer posted:

I know spoiler tags are inherently a warning sign, but here's an extra warning that in these tags I will tell you exactly how to reach 2 different Deepnest exits from where you are.

1. There's an exit, like, right there. The screen immediately up from the entrance to the mask maker is not Deepnest anymore.

2. So the entrance to the mask maker is in a generally vertical room, right? If you go down, and head left immediately after the vertical room ends, and just keep going left (won't take long, it's actually fairly close), you will reach another exit.

Re: #1. I swear that I had explored that room but I turned the game on and took another look and There is no up from the mask maker's entrance. The room beforehand is a few platforms and spikes and spiders with the mask maker room left and then plenty of room downward. Unless I need double jump or some movement ability I don't have, the top of the room is just the ceiling.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have rescued all the grubs. I have come to the conclusion that Hollow Knight is the worst game ever.

Nature red in tooth and claw

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beat the White Palace and feeling like a boss.

:smug:

I may have to get Celeste. Been scared of getting that game but now I may find I enjoy it...

Of course I keep reading spoilers in here about something called the path of pain so I’m probably talking out my rear end. :downs: Oh well, I’ll cross that bridge spiky death trap bottomless pit when I get there...

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

Re: #1. I swear that I had explored that room but I turned the game on and took another look and There is no up from the mask maker's entrance. The room beforehand is a few platforms and spikes and spiders with the mask maker room left and then plenty of room downward. Unless I need double jump or some movement ability I don't have, the top of the room is just the ceiling.

There is a path in the upper left, but I honestly can’t remember if it’s possible to enter via the bottom for the first time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Decided to get the game again on the switch because I am an idiot.

Question: What is the intended path after reaching the City of Tears and doing Soul Sanctum? Both times I make my way through the Crystal Peaks and drop onto the Resting Grounds, and trigger the stuff with the Dreamers.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Trip report: don't try to cheat engine anything in this. I'm sick in a permanent broken soul state, with the name saying my shade is in the Queen's Garden but it's not! :(

Also the confessor says I don't need her help so iunno. Prob just gonna wing it.

(Also it didn't even work and I still need to gather the essence damnit)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Question: What is the intended path after reaching the City of Tears and doing Soul Sanctum? Both times I make my way through the Crystal Peaks and drop onto the Resting Grounds, and trigger the stuff with the Dreamers.

That's probably the most efficient route. After that you can make your way through the waterways and basin and then you've got basically all the main exploration upgrades.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, I found the hidden area in the place where you fight False Knight. :smith:

I didn’t have it in me to kill the poor dopes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What the gently caress do you mean there's a part 2 to the White Palace!? :suicide:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the path of pain literally gives you nothing for doing it other than a vague, brief cutscene you can look up

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, I found the hidden area in the place where you fight False Knight. :smith:

If you want a perfect Hunter's Journal, you know what you must do.

Admittedly, I didn't complete the journal for a long time because of that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spare none from the cold touch of your nail.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zote stole my chick!
:argh:

And his dream kicked my rear end...

:negative:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Zote stole my chick!
:argh:

And his dream kicked my rear end...

:negative:

Beat the poo poo out of him right out of her subconscious.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't think there is an "intended" path for this game; it gets so freeform once the dreamers show up, and that can happen quite early. There's a whole major area that the player never needs to set foot in to beat the game, but everyone will probably explore it at some point anyway.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 4, 2018

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The route that I found has the best difficulty curve, the one I used to get the speedrun achivement, is False Knight > Hornet > enter the City of Tears, but then go up and get the lantern > Crystal Dash (avoiding Crystal Guardian) > drop down and get the Dreamnail > Lost Kin, at which point you're ready to take on just about anything in the game except endgame stuff. Though you probably want to go Soul Master straight after to open up all the routes; I just find the double jump super useful in boss fights so I try to get it asap.

ultrachrist posted:

You probably want at least a map or a lantern before you explore Deepnest, but it sounds like you're managing to handle it pretty well if you've gotten that far in.

Unlucky7 posted:

That's the right thing to do tactically, you can dreamnail them repeatedly for infinite soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And then you kill them for the Hunter's Journal entry.