Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i shoot the alien with the 420 sniperdragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i had the alien trapped in the garage for a while, i could have killed it by sending my rover in there then remote controlling the rover, but i wanted to keep him alive

edit: i got a variant of the planet that seemed populated enough with creatures and robots that it was like i was just some dickhead stealing stuff from an active civilization. they even called in the fighter jets on me

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 4, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I played the game without realizing it had an active radiation buildup as a game feature. I stepped away to take a shower and make dinner. Came back to advanced super-cancer.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I got Dungeonmans for my 13/yo nephew about a week ago and he hasn't put it down and quit playing Fortnite entirely

I'm a really proud uncle

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

I got Dungeonmans for my 13/yo nephew about a week ago and he hasn't put it down and quit playing Fortnite entirely

I'm a really proud uncle

Thou art surely a mighty hero, to have slain the dragon Fortnite.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you monster, why would you addict a child

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm a really proud uncle

:hmmyes:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
paging madjack to the thread

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i had the alien trapped in the garage for a while, i could have killed it by sending my rover in there then remote controlling the rover, but i wanted to keep him alive

FYI doing this has Consequences of the instantaneously lethal kind (do not fire alien weapons in or at your ship, it is not intended to withstand them)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm a really proud uncle

:toot:

Take that, Fortnite. Dmans lives, *this* close to breaking into the mainstream. Then again I am bad at marketing, Drake asked for a key but I told him there are no dragons in Dungeonmans.

My dream, dream of all dreams, is that some kiddo is going to look at dmans the way I looked at cotw and think "I can do that, I *have* to do that. How do I do that?"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Angry Diplomat posted:

FYI doing this has Consequences of the instantaneously lethal kind (do not fire alien weapons in or at your ship, it is not intended to withstand them)

Sounds like someone fired a mortar in their ship.

I'm actually pretty sad i've not tried that. Did he keep updating SV-4 with more "stuff"? I think he was planning on doing so but didn't keep up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I never thought of that!

I independently figured out flushing it into space, but haven't yet figured out how to take it with me. I have a few ideas I can try next time thanks to this discussion, though:
- shoot it with the rover
- cycle the doors in such a way that the room it's in gets depressurized without flushing it into space, then wait for it to suffocate
- see if there's a way to disable the doors

Next time I play and get an alien I'll try one of these and report back on my demise.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Perhaps it's best I never thought of that, but now I kind of want to try it. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that at least some weapons can safely be tested in the cargo bay.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I played the game without realizing it had an active radiation buildup as a game feature. I stepped away to take a shower and make dinner. Came back to advanced super-cancer.

SV-4 is one of those games that actually benefits from reading the manual, although the journal on the computer in your quarters that you start out reading generally has warnings about the radiation as well.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dogstile posted:

I'm actually pretty sad i've not tried that. Did he keep updating SV-4 with more "stuff"? I think he was planning on doing so but didn't keep up.

Yeah! There are still updates coming out periodically, adding little quality-of-life changes, bugfixes, and new content. At one point I suspect I managed to get my ship infected with some sort of sentient computer virus - I started seeing a LOT of console failures, and the life support and medbay consoles were crashing with suspicious regularity; I became even more suspicious when I found an alien record detailing a Skynet-style robot uprising.

I also keep finding artifacts I haven't seen before. There are a lot of weird doodads to dig up, now, and apparently the "record of civilization's collapse" endgame has been expanded and there are several more items to find.

e: oh, and you don't start taking radiation until you leave the starting room (or start playing that roguelike on the computer console) now.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 4, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RyokoTK posted:

I like that there isn’t a ton of statistical persistence because it means when I play with randos and my character is 15+ levels higher than theirs, there isn’t actually a meaningful disparity of power so it’s not a case of one player doing all the work.

The difference between a gun with no upgrades and a gun with four is so huge that I think carrying that over would be absurdly broken, and also it would mean that balancing for the presumption that characters have maxed gear would mean making the late game so hard that a fresh save couldn’t win. Which is bad form in a roguelike imo.

Yeah persistent mods would make the game either unbelievably boring(if the game wasn't rebalanced around this) or incredibly awful for fresh saves(if the game was balanced around this) because finding weapons and upgrading them is literally 90% of the power progression in a given run. If you carried over upgrades you'd just max out a good pistol and use it almost all of the time, or you'd pick a nice common weapon and trick it out to the skies and use that instead.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

i shoot the alien with the 420 sniperdragon

I put on my spacesuit and astronaut hat.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Just chilling, looking over my news feed. News, politics, football teams in caves, steam sales, Roguelike RPG Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: Steam Dungeon, yawn... wait a roguelike?

quote:

FuRyu will publish a Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs roguelike RPG for PlayStation 4 called Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: Steam Dungeon. It will launch on November 15 in Japan for 7,980 yen.

A numbered first-print limited production edition of the game will also be available for 10,980 yen. It will include:

Three special-illustrated double-sided pillow covers
Mini visual guide book
Special-illustrated exclusive packaging
Product code to obtain an original costume
Pre-orders for either edition of the game will include a product code to download the original weapon “Body Soap” and costume “Bokorun Outfit.”

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/07/roguelike-rpg-yuuna-and-the-haunted-hot-springs-steam-dungeon-announced-for-ps4#ugvmYRGHGIEKx6ul.99

:cripes:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neat you get a roguelike and 3 pillow wives

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

How can you call yourself a roguelike when you don't even come with a boob mousepad, I mean geeze.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Internet Friend posted:

How can you call yourself a roguelike when you don't even come with a boob mousepad, I mean geeze.

The special edition of the Disgaea 1 remake comes with an Etna boob mousepad.

It's just as flat as a regular mousepad

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
that's a pretty good joke and if i didn't have self respect i'd prob get that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm a really proud uncle

Awesome!

On this note, I bought my 9 year old a Chromebook for him to have during a 3 week trip to Europe. Not a lot of games that are both available and working properly for that system, but one that fills both criteria is Sproggiwood.

He is super addicted to it and has been playing whenever he gets some free screen time after a day out touristing. He wants me to start a new game on my iPad so we can race each other to the finish.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

LordSloth posted:

Just chilling, looking over my news feed. News, politics, football teams in caves, steam sales, Roguelike RPG Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: Steam Dungeon, yawn... wait a roguelike?

:cripes:

well, i may have put over 300 hours of my life into caves of qud but one thing it's definitely missing is a daddy gf with an eyepatch

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
then again... hindren village coming soon

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Awesome!

On this note, I bought my 9 year old a Chromebook for him to have during a 3 week trip to Europe. Not a lot of games that are both available and working properly for that system, but one that fills both criteria is Sproggiwood.

He is super addicted to it and has been playing whenever he gets some free screen time after a day out touristing. He wants me to start a new game on my iPad so we can race each other to the finish.

:hmmyes:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
How soon is too soon for our best hope the children to start playing Caves of Qud?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

How soon is too soon for our best hope the children to start playing Caves of Qud?

Probably not recommended for children under 45.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

My kid was playing Sproggiwood at age 2.

I have 30 years on them and have yet to make it to the second town in Qud.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

I'm YAVPing an Angband variant no one here plays but i'm proud god dangit. the serpent of chaos is a huge rear end in a top hat and makes morgoth look like a scrub. composband is cool and so is angband.live (Your Premiere Place To Play Angbands™), but maaaan that total playtime. i could have cut some hours for sure, but still. angband variants are time vampires.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Last I tried angband.live it didn't support subwindows for poschengband and its variants. I don't know if I can stand playing like that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Hello friends, is this where we talk about In Celebration of Violence?

Because I've got a question about an enemy type. How the poo poo do you kill death elementals?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

I'm YAVPing an Angband variant no one here plays but i'm proud god dangit. the serpent of chaos is a huge rear end in a top hat and makes morgoth look like a scrub. composband is cool and so is angband.live (Your Premiere Place To Play Angbands™), but maaaan that total playtime. i could have cut some hours for sure, but still. angband variants are time vampires.

what's composband and does it have less of a huge hump to get over starting than poschengband?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Hello friends, is this where we talk about In Celebration of Violence?

Because I've got a question about an enemy type. How the poo poo do you kill death elementals

If you mean...the skulls, just dodge them and whack them. The black vortices of death, though, just run. I'm 100 hours in and still haven't figured out how to kill them.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

what's composband and does it have less of a huge hump to get over starting than poschengband?
composband is poschengband but with even more quests and dungeons and poo poo (and without a maintainer who melts down and deletes his github). if dealing with an insane amount of option bloat was stopping you from enjoying poschengband then composband is probably not for you, but if it was idk something else then maybe you could deal. the first dungeon is now forced small floors so there's less blind wandering at the very start of the game, and a lot of the new quests are lower level. also there's some convenience birth options like easy ID which consolidates ID and *ID* into one thing, and easy lore which just makes the monster inspection thing filled out by default and I'm a fan of both. also the server has a pretty useful default auto-destroyer setting that you can just toggle on easily.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Last I tried angband.live it didn't support subwindows for poschengband and its variants. I don't know if I can stand playing like that.
I managed to get two subwindows working with composband, the one below the game window for a message log and one to the right for monster display. I can't get the third one that there's totally space for below the one on the right to load no matter what but it turns out that hitting tab toggles the monster and object display so I could deal. if you want more then that i don't know what wizardry you have to do but it probably involves changing the amount of rows and columns displayed to something weird, i had to raise both of mine a tad to get the subwindows to appear.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

OutOfPrint posted:

If you mean...the skulls, just dodge them and whack them. The black vortices of death, though, just run. I'm 100 hours in and still haven't figured out how to kill them.

drat that's a lot of hours! The skulls seem to be ghosts or phantoms and yeah annoying but killable. Ranged Veil blessed bows don't work and gently caress me if sanguine melee works. Have you tried any magic or any potions? poo poo, can water and fart elementals die? Fire and lightning are easy!

As for the big boss Veil, they're not too bad except for those drat death elementals that spawn in. Almost had her beaten...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What's the best ways to get into angband? IE which variant and is there a good guide to get you started past the first couple of floors?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

What's the best ways to get into angband? IE which variant and is there a good guide to get you started past the first couple of floors?

Sil?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: ^ Sil is cool but only an Angband variant by heritage; its gameplay is almost nothing like any other *band.

Unimpressed posted:

Vanilla Angband is perfectly fine for getting started; I'd hazard a guess that it's the most approachable for a newbie. For getting started, roll a Half-Troll Warrior, max STR/DEX at chargen, grab a dagger, and faceroll through enemies. That should get you down to dungeon level 15 at least.

Current Vanilla is very reliant on ID-by-use; the only identification options for consumables are to use them or sell them*. Most consumables are safe to use; there's a few gotchas but they're all early and pretty mild IIRC. Equipment can be identified by wielding it in a context where its abilities are relevant. Once you learn an equipment property, you learn its "rune" and can recognize it on all future items, so you only have to identify e.g. Resist Fire once, and eventually you should be able to recognize every item completely on first glance. There's also scrolls of Identify Rune.

If you want more details, I did a screenshot LP of an older version of Vanilla (including starting with a Half-Troll Warrior), and there's a guy named fizzix that does video LPs.

* Vanilla also has a "no-selling" option where selling items only identifies them and does not give you any money. In compensation, money drops in the dungeon are increased. This is the best goddamn idea ever and it retroactively makes me pissed off at every other game where you're expected to hoard a bunch of shiny magical useless crap and constantly optimize the value density of your backpack. In Vanilla you can forget about all that and just carry poo poo you'll actually use. I don't want to be a hoarder in videogames, why do so many of them reward that behavior?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i would agree, angband itself is the proper introductory *band; the rest, barring sil, expect some angband experience

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So I picked up Dungeonmans during the sale largely on account of this thread’s ever present recommendation, and don’t play many traditional-y roguelikes outside of Dungeons of Dredmor and Sproggiwood though I’m hoping this will be a nice transition game - any tips for someone starting out I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, your biggest enemy is hubris