Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
hope is the first step to disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Really need a word filter for "libertarian" to "dickhead" or "paedophile"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
STUDIO 10 host Angela Bishop confronted David Leyonhjelm on live television over a sexist slur he tweeted at her last week.

When the Liberal Democratic Party Senator appeared on the program this morning, she said: “Senator, you said that you made those remarks because (Sarah Hanson-Young) was guilty of misandry. I am not a misandrist. Why did you call me a b**ch?” she asked.

“Because you were being bigoted,” he responded. “Joe was trying to explain to you the context in which I made that statement, and you cut him off. The definition of bigotry is not listening to any other view. That is what I was trying to say.”

Fellow host Hugh Riminton jumped in, arguing: “But if you think she’s a bigot, why not call her a bigot? Why call her a b**ch? Real men don’t call women b**ches.”

“Oh. You’ve had a sheltered life,” the Senator replied. “Women call each other b**ches.

“I mix with normal Australians all the time, and don’t think there is anything wrong with … calling somebody a b**ch or a b**tard. Calling somebody a pussy, I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

Ms Bishop went on to ask if he was using his “moment in the limelight” as a way of getting re-elected.

“It wasn’t part of a plan. Remember it was Sarah who stood up in the Senate, making it public what was an interchange between us.

“I don’t want to shut Sarah down. In fact in many ways it’s the gift that keeps on giving. I’m not resiling from the principles I’m raising. Free speech is important. But so is calling out sexism, so is misandry.”

“I wasn’t guilty of misandry!” she fired back. “I defended your right to prosecute your argument. I just took issue with the language you used. So why call me a b**ch?”

“Oh OK, alright,” he responded. “So if you took offence at that, I’m sorry you took offence at that.”

When fellow host Sarah Harris asked him to clarify if that was an apology, he said: “Well, to the extent that Angela has said to me she was deliberately not being a misandrist. She was being bigoted — I’m saying that, you were being a bigot, you were cutting off Joe from explaining to you the context in which I made those comments in the Senate.”

“Do you admit that calling her a b**ch was wrong?”

“Oh no, no no,” he said, to gasps from the audience.

“So you’re not apologising?”

“No. What I am saying is I’m sorry she’s taken offence.”

“Not quite an apology,” Harris said, before they moved on.

After the segment, veteran Ten host Sandra Sully tweeted that Mr Leyonhjelm did apologise to Ms Bishop when he was off camera.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Don Dongington posted:

It appears JBP has fallen down a well

*the sound of 47 pairs of Goony cargo pants unvelcroing*
For those more focused on the comedy of this latest self head butt:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/i-dont-discriminate-between-men-and-women-says-leyonhjelm/9938006

"It wasn't sexist abuse, it was just abuse." - That should help in the defamation case. What lawyer would be dumb enough to take on this brief? Or perhaps he would like to defend himself so he can personally "cross examine" SHY.

-/-

Should the subs go East or West? Why not both? For a serious long range strategic decision our highly respected generals and admirals sure don't seem to have a good grip on the situation.

https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/maritime-antisub/2528-subs-ahoy-foi-reveals-sydney-as-future-submarine-base

"Two ocean policy"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Australian_Navy_Submarine_Service

The reason the base was isolated in the first place is due to operational shortfalls. The size of the capital investment to enable a true "Two ocean policy" is so enormous I haven't even seen a credible estimate.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

JBP posted:

STUDIO 10 host Angela Bishop confronted David Leyonhjelm on live television over a sexist slur he tweeted at her last week.

When the Liberal Democratic Party Senator appeared on the program this morning, she said: “Senator, you said that you made those remarks because (Sarah Hanson-Young) was guilty of misandry. I am not a misandrist. Why did you call me a b**ch?” she asked.

“Because you were being bigoted,” he responded. “Joe was trying to explain to you the context in which I made that statement, and you cut him off. The definition of bigotry is not listening to any other view. That is what I was trying to say.”

Fellow host Hugh Riminton jumped in, arguing: “But if you think she’s a bigot, why not call her a bigot? Why call her a b**ch? Real men don’t call women b**ches.”

“Oh. You’ve had a sheltered life,” the Senator replied. “Women call each other b**ches.

“I mix with normal Australians all the time, and don’t think there is anything wrong with … calling somebody a b**ch or a b**tard. Calling somebody a pussy, I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

Ms Bishop went on to ask if he was using his “moment in the limelight” as a way of getting re-elected.

“It wasn’t part of a plan. Remember it was Sarah who stood up in the Senate, making it public what was an interchange between us.

“I don’t want to shut Sarah down. In fact in many ways it’s the gift that keeps on giving. I’m not resiling from the principles I’m raising. Free speech is important. But so is calling out sexism, so is misandry.”

“I wasn’t guilty of misandry!” she fired back. “I defended your right to prosecute your argument. I just took issue with the language you used. So why call me a b**ch?”

“Oh OK, alright,” he responded. “So if you took offence at that, I’m sorry you took offence at that.”

When fellow host Sarah Harris asked him to clarify if that was an apology, he said: “Well, to the extent that Angela has said to me she was deliberately not being a misandrist. She was being bigoted — I’m saying that, you were being a bigot, you were cutting off Joe from explaining to you the context in which I made those comments in the Senate.”

“Do you admit that calling her a b**ch was wrong?”

“Oh no, no no,” he said, to gasps from the audience.

“So you’re not apologising?”

“No. What I am saying is I’m sorry she’s taken offence.”

“Not quite an apology,” Harris said, before they moved on.

After the segment, veteran Ten host Sandra Sully tweeted that Mr Leyonhjelm did apologise to Ms Bishop when he was off camera.

That wraps it then, he's just pining for attention and assuming SHY will drop the case.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'm iwc

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Les Affaires posted:

That wraps it then, he's just pining for attention and assuming SHY will drop the case.

I'm honestly just glad there were gasps from the audience rather than cheers

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just imagine how much you have to gently caress up to have Mark Latham lecturing you on your language.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Ugh I had a brief moment of optimism for this rotten country

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Kate_McClymont/status/1014329802235379712

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

*unnervingly accurate jbp voice* harrr fucken. tits and bum fucken maaaaate. flauntin harpies fucken give it to em, give it to em fucken hot pie and sauce i killed ten thousand chooks and i'll kill ten thousand more fucken piss bum oval office

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

*raptorfag circles threateningly overhead in a diy gyrocopter he stole from bcr, who rigged it up out of a bar fridge, an electric fan and twenty back issues of new idea he nicked from the dentist's office*

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

that is my comment on the state of discourse in this country

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need raptorfag to purge this thread.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

avshalemon posted:

that is my comment on the state of discourse in this country

why not take dis course of antibiotics, you are clearly unwell

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

field commander cartoon, he was our most important spy
perma'd in the line of duty
parachuting pony prolapses into
diplomatic lemon parties

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

urging david leyonhjelm to
abandon cat and helmet
leave it all and like a man
go back to nothing special
such as imageboards
and hentai streams
tits and rear end for free on steam
yelling racist things at football teams
ripe red pulsing pony dreams
and other forms of deviance
advertised as australia

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Les Affaires posted:

why not take dis course of antibiotics, you are clearly unwell
living in the 21st century requires a baseline level of disease - mental, physical and spiritual

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CDA39/status/1014301660082941953

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

avshalemon posted:

*unnervingly accurate jbp voice* harrr fucken. tits and bum fucken maaaaate. flauntin harpies fucken give it to em, give it to em fucken hot pie and sauce i killed ten thousand chooks and i'll kill ten thousand more fucken piss bum oval office

Spot on except I have a very expensive accent irl.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

jfc

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

:discourse:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Um they are also subject to plastic Stalinism because they've all illegally moved to Australia Bolt you dickhead.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
is that real

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

swimsuit posted:

is that real

I'm told ABC PERTH WA were handing out their ABC PLASTIC BAGS 'free' to shoppers last week. Can you please find out at what cost to taxpayers for us Andrew? 

And is handing out free plastic bags really one of the things taxpayers are giving the ABC funding to do?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

swimsuit posted:

is that real
Yes, he quotes a thing saying 90% of plastic waste comes from Africa and Asia (but he singles out Africa for some reason).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

snoremac posted:

(but he singles out Africa for some reason).

:iiam:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"Australia doesn't contribute much therefore we shouldn't have to do anything" is one of his standard responses to climate change too.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Australia doesn't contribute much therefore we shouldn't have to do anything" is one of his standard responses to climate change too.

Yeah in comparison to America or Europe maybe we don't contribute much in the grand scheme of things, but on a per-capita basis we're one of the worst (iirc we were the worst but I can't be bothered substantiating that).

Also the cost of abating emission is really a lot less expensive than building loving sea walls, deslainating water and rebuilding entire towns each time a bushfire razes it to the ground.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

avshalemon posted:

urging david leyonhjelm to
abandon cat and helmet
leave it all and like a man
go back to nothing special
such as imageboards
and hentai streams
tits and rear end for free on steam
yelling racist things at football teams
ripe red pulsing pony dreams
and other forms of deviance
advertised as australia

quoting for posterity

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

Yeah in comparison to America or Europe maybe we don't contribute much in the grand scheme of things, but on a per-capita basis we're one of the worst (iirc we were the worst but I can't be bothered substantiating that).

Also the cost of abating emission is really a lot less expensive than building loving sea walls, deslainating water and rebuilding entire towns each time a bushfire razes it to the ground.

I'll take "Things that will happen long after the boomers have any accountability for it" for $10, Alex.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Whoever had "this is feminism's fault, somehow" in the Miranda Devine on Cathat/SHY pool wins

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Box of Bunnies posted:

Whoever had "this is feminism's fault, somehow" in the Miranda Devine on Cathat/SHY pool wins

hello

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Senator David Leyonhjelm has said he tells people they're "bastards" or "bitches" irrespective of gender, denying he targets women.
The Liberal Democrats politician has been roundly condemned for sexual taunts aimed at Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young.
He has previously used offensive language towards Tony Abbott's former chief of staff Peta Credlin and Network Ten journalist Angela Bishop.
But Senator Leyonhjelm denied it was "sexist abuse".
"It's just abuse," he told RN Breakfast.

"It is a normal Australian behaviour.

"I am a normal Australian, I am elected by normal Australians, normal Australians call people bitches, bastards, shut up, various things of that nature.
"I don't discriminate between men and women."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

snoremac posted:

(but he singles out Africa for some reason).

Oh, huh. Weird!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You'd think Australians would bandwagon onto literally anything that let them call Africa and Asia backwards shitholes.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Lid posted:

Senator David Leyonhjelm has said he tells people they're "bastards" or "bitches" irrespective of gender, denying he targets women.
The Liberal Democrats politician has been roundly condemned for sexual taunts aimed at Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young.
He has previously used offensive language towards Tony Abbott's former chief of staff Peta Credlin and Network Ten journalist Angela Bishop.
But Senator Leyonhjelm denied it was "sexist abuse".
"It's just abuse," he told RN Breakfast.

"It is a normal Australian behaviour.

"I am a normal Australian, I am elected by normal Australians, normal Australians call people bitches, bastards, shut up, various things of that nature.
"I don't discriminate between men and women."

He's so close to realising that Australian society treats women like poo poo.

He's actually not, but if he had a brain he would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If I was going to mock the bag ban I'd talk up corporations producing waste on an industrial scale compared to individuals, but I think that talking point wouldn't appeal to these people for some strange reason.

• Locked thread