Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Though it does still come ahead of the US, as shown by this fabulous graphic:

The graphic is missing the asylum process by which an unskilled individual with no relations in the US can get a green card. It's particularly popular with Chinese immigrants for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jaguars! posted:

Yessss

Confirming that if you think about it a bit, you can guess it without using google

This is the politically loaded maps thread; basically everyone who reads this regularly should know that flag instantly.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pakled posted:

An illustration of the Anaconda Plan

We should change Kansas' name to Kanzas. It looks cooler.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

gently caress you winfield scott owned

full disclosure: he is my ancestor and you can clearly see his pompous rear end in a top hat genetics in my family tree

also it was "let's devote a shitload of resources to a naval blockade and related activities because if the confederacy doesn't get outside resources it's turbo-hosed"

"We got all these boats lying around, and they got practically no boats, I guess we should do a blockade"

Such military genius.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pakled posted:

Arkansas just wants someone to hold :smith:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pakled posted:

Shouldn't the anaconda be going up the Mississippi?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Shouldn't the anaconda be going up the Mississippi?

General Scott's plan was to simultaneously attempt to cut off any Western reach from the Confederacy as well as seizing the Mississippi River to split up the south and provide US supply routes.

So to have the snake curling around the west side and then pointing its head down towards the Mississippi is probably the best way to represent it in snake-form, rather than having two heads or a weird full loop.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Behold

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Is that from a board game or something? It makes so little sense that I can't imagine it's from anything that's supposed to relate to the real world (e.g. most brazenly, Switzerland less stable than Nicaragua, China "decentralized" and Turkey a "rising star"). Also it's kind of odd that 7 countries are highlighted, but of them Angola and Japan do not have stars for their capital city's location.

Edit: Actually Luanda and Tokyo do have stars, not sure why I didn't see them before. I guess those 7 are highlighted because they're "aggressive states"? Which also makes zero loving sense. How are Angola and Japan aggressive? And how is Germany aggressive if you don't subscribe to the admittedly-popular "lol Germany is conquering Greece" meme?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 3, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Why doesn't America have 50 stars? :911:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Steady but governed by incest-rape-Americophiles with engineer degrees and/or the closest possible relatives in industries that are handed out on a gold platter to them.

But it's still better than the USA SMDH.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I assure you the map 100% serious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Didn't Turkey have a coup attempt recently?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

I've lived through the killing of the Finnish welfare state, the capitalismization of the Soviet Union, the Non-Paedophile-Bombization of Ireland, and I will live through the collapse of the USA. You can quote me on that in 10-20 years.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kikkelivelho posted:

Where's it from?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Steady but governed by incest-rape-Americophiles with engineer degrees and/or the closest possible relatives in industries that are handed out on a gold platter to them.

I've lived through the killing of the Finnish welfare state, the capitalismization of the Soviet Union, the Non-Paedophile-Bombization of Ireland, and I will live through the collapse of the USA. You can quote me on that in 10-20 years.

What the gently caress does any of that even mean? Especially your first sentence and "non-paedophile bombization of Ireland"? Seriously what the gently caress are you talking about.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

yeah things could be a far worse when look at things going on.

Count Roland posted:

Where's it from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feU7HT0x_qU

he has a point

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saladman posted:

What the gently caress does any of that even mean? Especially your first sentence and "non-paedophile bombization of Ireland"? Seriously what the gently caress are you talking about.

The Irish are papist terrorists. I'm assuming he's a member of the Orange Order

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HookShot posted:

This is the politically loaded maps thread; basically everyone who reads this regularly should know that flag instantly.

If that's really true, I'll crank up the difficulty

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

New Mongol Empire 2030

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rising Stars (of fascism) - at least US and Turkey

Also lol at the rising star of Myanmar

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

actionjackson posted:

For whatever reason, that one I knew immediately, but the Mongolian flag I got confused with Cambodia. And I generally think flags are pretty dumb and generic. Also re: cool flags, the Japanese have the goddamn best municipal flags ever:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_municipal_flags

Why does everyone else in the world have "three colors, as bars" as their flag? I have to give props to Ghaddafi for being original for his Libyan flag. Kiribati at least has a distinctive flag.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Lycus posted:

Didn't Turkey have a coup attempt recently?
Yep, along with crackdowns on freedom of speech and the press, arrests of reporters, arrests of leaders and members of opposition parties, mass purges of anyone deemed disloyal, arrests of anyone related to the Gulen movement (knowledge of Gulen not required to be arrested as a Gulenist), and a whole host of other things related to Erdogan's plan to seize power and slowly become the new dictator of Turkey.

That map is so loving laughable, Turkey is literally the opposite of a rising star of stability right now.

E:

actionjackson posted:

Rising Stars (of fascism) - at least US and Turkey

Also lol at the rising star of Myanmar
I just noticed it includes Uzbekistan, Rising Stars (of fascism/dictatorship) might actually be what's intended. Dictatorship is stable, and never leads to massive instability later on.:pseudo:

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 3, 2018

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Saladman posted:

Why does everyone else in the world have "three colors, as bars" as their flag? I have to give props to Ghaddafi for being original for his Libyan flag. Kiribati at least has a distinctive flag.

It's a revolutionary symbol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricolour_(flag)

Specifically, tricolor flags have been associated with republicanism and revolution from tyranny since the Dutch in 1579, and more powerfully and recently with the revolutions of 1848. The horizontal ones draw inspiration from the Dutch, the vertical ones from the French.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol Argentina

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

HookShot posted:

I thought it was their naval ensign :blush:

I thought the national flag war had a brown background but I now realize that was from civilization IV.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Saladin Rising posted:

Yep, along with crackdowns on freedom of speech and the press, arrests of reporters, arrests of leaders and members of opposition parties, mass purges of anyone deemed disloyal, arrests of anyone related to the Gulen movement (knowledge of Gulen not required to be arrested as a Gulenist), and a whole host of other things related to Erdogan's plan to seize power and slowly become the new dictator of Turkey.

That map is so loving laughable, Turkey is literally the opposite of a rising star of stability right now.

To be fair to Turkey, it's been a fascist nationalist quasi-dictatorship for like 100 years now. In the 70s it was on the brink of civil war with (tens of?) thousands of people being killed in far left-far right street violence. The current stuff going on is not THAT unusual from a Turkish perspective and if you squint and say that Erdogan's grip on power is now secure you could reasonably predict it will get more stable from here onward

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Redeye Flight posted:

It's a revolutionary symbol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricolour_(flag)

Specifically, tricolor flags have been associated with republicanism and revolution from tyranny since the Dutch in 1579, and more powerfully and recently with the revolutions of 1848. The horizontal ones draw inspiration from the Dutch, the vertical ones from the French.

But also it's easy to design, easy to manufacture, easy to copy. And bearing in mind that one of the biggest purposes of flags had long been "identifying a thing at a large distance", tricolors are typically pretty easy to make 'legible' that far away, as long as you're judicious in your color choices.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Scandinavian flag pattern (cross) is a religious thing right?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saladman posted:

When I were a lad there were a lot of bombings on the British Isles perpetrated by Irish Roman Catholics. Roman Catholics are literally all either paedophiles or paedohile apologists. What's so hard to understand?

e: Not that all religious people aren't highly probably paedophiles or paedophile apologists but it's more pronounced with catholics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

The Scandinavian flag pattern (cross) is a religious thing right?

Yes, the primary Nordic Cross flag patterns were specifically adopted to affirm each state's Christian faith originally, ultimately seeming to derive from the extremely similar black and white cross flag the Teutonic Knights used.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

actionjackson posted:

Why the hell do I know this one :psyduck:

Saladman posted:

For whatever reason, that one I knew immediately, but the Mongolian flag I got confused with Cambodia.
Same, except for some reason I thought Bhutan on the first one, which doesn't even look close.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

icantfindaname posted:

To be fair to Turkey, it's been a fascist nationalist quasi-dictatorship for like 100 years now. In the 70s it was on the brink of civil war with (tens of?) thousands of people being killed in far left-far right street violence. The current stuff going on is not THAT unusual from a Turkish perspective and if you squint and say that Erdogan's grip on power is now secure you could reasonably predict it will get more stable from here onward

Yeah the guy really gung ho in leaping into wars on their border, deeply alienating every neighbor they have sans Georgia, and full on leaning on the Kurdish conflict is reasonably symbolic of stability.

Also in case you haven't been paying attention, Erdogan is not a cold calucated Putin, he's more a semi-competent Trump. Drama, explosions, and insecure ego are his bread and butter.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jerry Cotton posted:

When I were a lad there were a lot of bombings on the British Isles perpetrated by Irish Roman Catholics. Roman Catholics are literally all either paedophiles or paedohile apologists. What's so hard to understand?

e: Not that all religious people aren't highly probably paedophiles or paedophile apologists but it's more pronounced with catholics.

lol yes indeed, when people are talking about "pedophile island" over there it is Ireland they think of. Not the fine upstanding sturdy Protestant land of Britain.

Also congrats in knowing exactly jack about the Troubles dumb Finnish guy.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

Why the hell do I know this one :psyduck:

Same, except for some reason I thought Bhutan on the first one, which doesn't even look close.

hmm. . . well I think of the sun over the ocean as a Central American motif, but I don't recognize that flag as that of any Caribbean nation. That bird looks like either an albatross or a frigate bird, which suggests to me that it is maybe somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Kiribati maybe?

holy poo poo I got it right! I really just guess a pacific island nation at random, could have just as easily gone for Tuvalu or elsewhere

Looking at Latin American symbols again, they always put their suns over mountains/volcanos.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A volcano is just a mountain with poor impulse control.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

:wth: :lsd: :wth:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fishmech posted:

Yes, the primary Nordic Cross flag patterns were specifically adopted to affirm each state's Christian faith originally, ultimately seeming to derive from the extremely similar black and white cross flag the Teutonic Knights used.
They all derive from Dannebrog, gifted to the Danes by God at the battle of Lyndanisse.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Thanks to that World Geography game app I can 100% any national flag along with any of the sub-national ones they've included.

I've probably played it way too much since I can distinguish Chad/Romania, Monaco/Indonesia, North/South Ossetia and Sierra Leone/Galapagos Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

poo poo, you guys got me owned. I'm pretty good with capitals but not as much with flags.

Aren't Monaco and Indonesia exactly the same except for the actual flag size? Can you detect that on a quiz?