Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Dawncloack posted:

There was an old XKCD strip where cueball makes reference to some very specific decision that was taken when programming 3D graphics.

I seem to remember the strip has cueball worrying that every domestic appliance has this feature (I seem to remember it's identified by a number? 17203 or something like that?

From what I remember reading, someone programming the first ¿Doom? decided on that figure for some process or other, and it was genius, but no one remembers who specificaly did it.

Leads?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the xkcd strip but it sounds like this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

I clicked on some alt right Youtube video out of morbid curiosity earlier this week and it immediately poo poo up all of my recommendations with similar crap. How do I get this to go away? marking them as "not interested" does nothing.

Side note. Shame on Youtube for this poo poo. No wonder there is millions of 20 year old nazi dipshits in this country right now.
YouTube's recommendations are so weirdly inconsistent. Sometimes it shows me stuff that I actually am interested in that I have no idea how it knew about - like, outtakes from a TV show I like or something like that. Other times I watch one video and suddenly all my recommendations are other videos from that same channel.

The thing that annoys me most though is how often my recommendations are videos I've already watched. That's one of the options you can give for why you're not interested in specific videos, but as far as I can see there's no way to just tell it "don't ever recommend videos I've already seen".

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I don't know the xkcd strip but it sounds like this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

To piggyback off this — the mouseover text here, perhaps? https://xkcd.com/664/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I clicked on some alt right Youtube video out of morbid curiosity earlier this week and it immediately poo poo up all of my recommendations with similar crap. How do I get this to go away? marking them as "not interested" does nothing.

Side note. Shame on Youtube for this poo poo. No wonder there is millions of 20 year old nazi dipshits in this country right now.

Go to your watch history, click on the x on the video, it'll be to the right of the video. Delete it from your history and youtube *should* stop recommending it to you.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Just a quick one, do we have any thread dedicated to fixing/rebinding old books? I checked both TBB and DIY but nothing seemed to come up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spog posted:

Buy youself an avatar for $5 and stop looking like a Stupid Newbie.

Then, spend $10 on an insulting avatar for a poster you hate - which has the bonus that they have to spend $5 to remove it - more cash for Lowtax.

Also, it's apparently impossible for even an admin to tell who bought an avatar so you don't have to worry about being hunted down unless you make it really obvious!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Do you also do the 'Tell us why' part? That seems to work for me. Then there's also deleting it from your history like Leal said.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Anybody have that webcomic where a guy is in a library and reads advice that he should smile at people more, so he smiles at a girl with this hilarious face and she leaves terrified with the guy still making the face in the background?

e: Found it

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 2, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

El Jeffe posted:

Do you also do the 'Tell us why' part? That seems to work for me. Then there's also deleting it from your history like Leal said.

Leal posted:

Go to your watch history, click on the x on the video, it'll be to the right of the video. Delete it from your history and youtube *should* stop recommending it to you.

Cool thanks. Tried these and it seems to have worked

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What’s the difference between using vodka or baking soda for a DIY air freshener spray? I’m making something to spray around after cooking.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Why is it on twitter, sometimes you'll be looking at a thread and there's a button to show more posts, but you click it and there are no more posts?

Also, is there a setting on twitter so that you can automatically show things even though they have "sensitive" language? I'm Australian, we're pretty difficult to offend with words.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Memento posted:

Why is it on twitter, sometimes you'll be looking at a thread and there's a button to show more posts, but you click it and there are no more posts?

Also, is there a setting on twitter so that you can automatically show things even though they have "sensitive" language? I'm Australian, we're pretty difficult to offend with words.

I don't use Twitter so I can't help you but I'm an expat Aussie and I'd say that we are actually pretty thin skinned

Possibly the extra posts got deleted or they don't bother counting total number of remaining posts each time they load more, they just grab the next X until there's no results returned

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Memento posted:

Twitter hide tweets that it suspects are low quality, e.g. account without many followers, just replies with an image macro, really short, etc. You can see these by clicking the show more tweets button. It also filters out tweets they think people would be really offended by which requires you click the show sensitive tweets button. You might not be able to see a reply because the replier's account is private, so only their followers can see their tweets. Finally, you might not see a reply because you were blocked which may be because of an block list (e.g. some people have filters setup to block anyone who follows major nazi accounts).

This is for the web interface, I think the mobile app doesn't even have a button to see possibly low-quality tweets.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of Twitter, is there a way to turn off the “in case you missed it” stuff? Sometimes I’ll be following an event tweet by tweet and it’ll take one tweet out of the timeline and display it later as “icymi” assuming I suppose that I skipped a bunch of tweets. I just want a consistent timeline so I can read tweets in the order they’re made.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What’s the difference between using vodka or baking soda for a DIY air freshener spray? I’m making something to spray around after cooking.

In short, the baking soda is much cheaper and wouldn't make your house smell like vodka

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sarrisan posted:

Speaking of Twitter, is there a way to turn off the “in case you missed it” stuff? Sometimes I’ll be following an event tweet by tweet and it’ll take one tweet out of the timeline and display it later as “icymi” assuming I suppose that I skipped a bunch of tweets. I just want a consistent timeline so I can read tweets in the order they’re made.

I’m not sure if this exists in the native twitter client but you should just spend 5 bucks and get Tweetbot. No timeline fuckery, no promoted tweets, just chronological posts from accounts I follow.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Lawnie posted:

I’m not sure if this exists in the native twitter client but you should just spend 5 bucks and get Tweetbot. No timeline fuckery, no promoted tweets, just chronological posts from accounts I follow.

This is exactly what I was looking for, $5 seems like a bargain.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CzarChasm posted:

In short, the baking soda is much cheaper and wouldn't make your house smell like vodka

Baking soda, otoh, will gradually create a layer of the stuff on everything that you don't clean regularly. In any case, I've never heard of either being used as a deodorizer, though I could see the baking soda working at least somewhat if the mist evaporates quickly enough to leave a fine powder in the air.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
OK I'm now a patron. What's this Discord thing?
I'm not a gamer btw so is there any use to it other than gaming?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
General socializing platform with some game-specific features. Like a combination of Skype, BBS, and IRC

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

How come when I scan my public transport ticket it doesn't work if my credit card is within five metres of it because the machine gets confused and half the time just doesn't work anyway, but my local library has a machine that you can just sit a stack of books on and it instantly identifies all of them? Is it a different technology? If so, why aren't they using that in public transport and credit cards? If it's the same technology, why does one work so much better than the other?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jiru posted:

Just a quick one, do we have any thread dedicated to fixing/rebinding old books? I checked both TBB and DIY but nothing seemed to come up.

Have you tried asking in the literature thread? Should at least get some sort of response to your question in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994&pagenumber=420&perpage=40

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
You know how you can get good at video games by playing them a bunch?

Can you do the same to learn piano?

Also how long does it take to learn the piano if you are some shumck that has never played a thing in his life?

Also also, once you learn can you (basically) play anything? or is it like learning a new thing for each song?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

504 posted:

Also how long does it take to learn the piano if you are some shumck that has never played a thing in his life?

Also also, once you learn can you (basically) play anything? or is it like learning a new thing for each song?

Wouldn’t it just be repetition and learning patterns? I’m sure you could. It would take longer without lessons but sure you could. I learned how to play bass guitar (to some degree) by just listening to songs and following along.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

504 posted:

Of course you can, that's how anyone gets good at anything. Your last question also makes no sense if you think about it for a second in terms of any other skill, like your video games example. Do you "learn to play" a platformer and then you can just play it? Or do you start off bad at them and then get better and find that you can transfer the skills you learned playing one platformer to another one? Get a cheap keyboard and some piano books and off you go (a teacher or youtube videos might be useful too if you've really had nothing to do with music before).

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Learning to play a musical instrument is a complex process and varies a lot depending on the person. In attempting to learn any complex skill, it's generally useful to break that skill into various sub-skills and practice them independently before combining them. It's also useful to separate theory from technique and study both separately. Like many things, it's easier if you're younger when you start learning, but an adult can still do well if they're dedicated to learning the skill.

I never learned piano so I can't offer any specifics on how to get started but I'm sure there are tons of books/websites/YouTube videos and plenty of local teachers in your area.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Any decent book/video series/teacher will start simple and introduce new concepts as they go. There really isn't much to break down with first learning an instrument, especially piano where you just tap the keys at the right time and it practically plays itself (to quote a composer I'm too lazy to look up right now). Anyway, if you tried to break it down into scales and theory etc too early you'd suck all the fun out of it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
As with most things, your enjoyment of playing music increases dramatically if you start doing it with other people, so focusing on achieving some basic ensemble musician skills will help with reaching a point where you can do that.

A bit of sight reading, improvisation around chord structures, and practicing playing things by ear are all mid-level skills* that will be really valuable playing with other people.

* Mid-level to have some basic facility with this stuff, obviously really good ability with all these things marks you out as a top class musician.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

504 posted:

Sort of. You get better at anything the more you do it but you really have to learn how to learn to master any musical instrument. You'll sound like total rear end when you start but that's fine. Get books and lessons, watch some YouTube. Start with simple, easy things and techniques. Once you've got those go harder. Then keep going. If you want to learn more keep going for a harder song or technique than the last one.

As for how long that varies. Do you want to play classical masterpieces? See you in a few years, if ever. That takes a gently caress ton of time. The people who become the best generally dedicate their lives to it with room for little else. Do you just want to play popular songs as a hobby? That happens more quickly. So the question there is really which one you're after. Of course you can also not decide that right now and just start and see where it takes you.

But if you only play the same five songs all you'll do is get better at those songs.

But hey if you think learning piano sounds cool loving go for it. There are worse things to do with your time for sure.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Music is made of building blocks basically. Play basically any notes in the same key and it sounds ok. You start learning notes and basic rhythms, carry on to chords and intervals and so on. You'll quickly start to recognize those building blocks in every piece you play and eventually be able to improvise using those pieces.

I'm a drummer though, so not really qualified to give advice on this. Piano seems like a good instrument to start with.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

504 posted:

The famous number quoted is 10,000 hours, but really that's for becoming a super virtuoso type master. You can get passably good much quicker than that, especially if you're playing pop songs* and not advanced conciertos. Learn what a major scale is, learn what a major chord sounds like, learn to play the I, IV and V chords of that scale, and you're 90% of the way to what most people at a party would care to hear. Start peppering in minors (like the vi) and 4-note chords like a dominant chord (V7) and you can do some pretty cool stuff without having to be any good at playing fast melodic lines or whatever.

For the second question, you'll learn very quickly that songs are not as different as they sound to the untrained ear. Like I said before those chords are the building blocks for the majority of what you hear out there. Of course a lot of songs will have their little quirks if you really wanna nail exactly what the original performer did, but once you get the foundations of playing chords within a particular key the rest is all window dressing and practice.

*and by pop I don't just mean "modern-ish r&b type hits", but literally any popular genre of music since about the turn of the 20th century. Blues, swing, rock, metal, folk, country, r&b, they've all got frameworks that, while not universal, will let you learn to write a passable song or pick up an existing recording pretty quickly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tiggum posted:

How come when I scan my public transport ticket it doesn't work if my credit card is within five metres of it because the machine gets confused and half the time just doesn't work anyway, but my local library has a machine that you can just sit a stack of books on and it instantly identifies all of them? Is it a different technology? If so, why aren't they using that in public transport and credit cards? If it's the same technology, why does one work so much better than the other?

I have no idea which particular system your local library uses, but a lot of the common RFID tag solutions for libraries involve much larger transponders and antennas than would fit in the tiny space alloted in a credit card, or the somewhat larger space for a dedicated farecard. This generally allows for clearer reading and less chance of material blocking a proper read.

Additionally, a library is going to use the exact same sort of tags for all its books, which means it's much easier to reduce interference between each other and make sure the reader system can properly tell them apart. Likely your farecard was manufactured and designed by a different group altogether than your credit card.

And finally, your local transport system probably has lovely readers in general or they aren't maintaining the equipment well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
did tinder change the way it worked? It used to be you swipe on someone and they swipe on you and you get a match and its free, I just popped into a new tinder account and instead of a match I got a like and when I click on it it asks me to pay for it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

did tinder change the way it worked? It used to be you swipe on someone and they swipe on you and you get a match and its free, I just popped into a new tinder account and instead of a match I got a like and when I click on it it asks me to pay for it?

Is it a feature where you can pay to see who liked you without having to like them back? That's just a guess.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Is it a feature where you can pay to see who liked you without having to like them back? That's just a guess.

That might be it, kind of what I was wondering.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If you've swiped right on everyone you find acceptably attractive and it's giving you that message then you got liked by an uggo so don't bother paying.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is anecdotal, but I have a friend who uses Tinder a lot to go on dates or hook up, and he says it's gotten much harder to get matches in the past year. Likely they have changed the algorithms to push more users into paying.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

regulargonzalez posted:

If you've swiped right on everyone you find acceptably attractive and it's giving you that message then you got liked by an uggo so don't bother paying.

Or a fake profile run by someone contracted by tinder to run fake profiles to pad the female:male ratio and entice more guys into paying $30/month

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So you know how in the vacuum of space you can only dissipate heat through radiation? Let's say you're stranded in space and being hit by sunlight, wouldn't that heat you up over time and eventually burn you alive? Or would you still dissipate more heat than you take in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Elman posted:

So you know how in the vacuum of space you can only dissipate heat through radiation? Let's say you're stranded in space and being hit by sunlight, wouldn't that heat you up over time and eventually burn you alive? Or would you still dissipate more heat than you take in?

I haven't done the math but I believe you'd fry pretty quickly in sunlight, overheating is always a big concern. It'd take you a long time to freeze, though, because of how hard it is to shed heat.