Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

femcastra posted:

This was me too. I’d wake up in a panic, convinced that I’d fallen asleep feeding her and that she was in the bed somewhere. I’d feel around madly then realise she was asleep in the bassinet beside me.

One of my friends had a kid and her mother came into town to help out. And the mother would bring the kid in for a feeding while my friend was asleep. My friend would wake up, feed and then kind of drift off, at which point the mother would come and take the child back and put him in the bassinet. So like imagine that feeling but the baby is actually gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
So my baby is just five months old, but way off the scale for height and weight- he’s 20 pounds 8 ounces and 29.5 inches. I had to move him into a new car seat much earlier than I anticipated. The problem now is getting him in and out of the seat, especially when he’s asleep. I’m a relatively strong woman, but the combination of tendinitis loving up my left hand/forearm/elbow, floppy sleeping baby, and the tight angle of the rear facing seat is super challenging. Are there any tips or tricks you all could share, or is this just “lift more weights and hope he walks early”?

Also, my husband and I both work second shift, 3 to 12:30. My mom and Dad watch the baby. He tends to sleep from 8 pm to 3 am, which is awesome- except for the fact that with our schedule, we don’t get to bed before 2 am ourselves. My husband takes the first shift, and keeps him until 6 or 7 am, and then I get up and keep him until 1 pm, when we have to start getting ready for work. As soon as my husband hands him off, baby falls back asleep- but will only stay asleep in my arms/on my chest. There does not appear to be any way to set him back in his crib- it doesn’t matter how long I wait, how deeply asleep he is, what the temp is in his room, how he’s dressed- within literal minutes of being laid down in his crib, he’s awake and demanding to be scooped up again.

I’m not willing to do cry it out, and I feel like five months is really too early for any sort of meaningful sleep training, but is there any conceivable way I could get him to sleep in his crib after a briefer snuggle? Five hours of sleep is really starting to hurt me and my husband both!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sweet Custom Van posted:

So my baby is just five months old, but way off the scale for height and weight- he’s 20 pounds 8 ounces and 29.5 inches. I had to move him into a new car seat much earlier than I anticipated. The problem now is getting him in and out of the seat, especially when he’s asleep. I’m a relatively strong woman, but the combination of tendinitis loving up my left hand/forearm/elbow, floppy sleeping baby, and the tight angle of the rear facing seat is super challenging. Are there any tips or tricks you all could share, or is this just “lift more weights and hope he walks early”?

Also, my husband and I both work second shift, 3 to 12:30. My mom and Dad watch the baby. He tends to sleep from 8 pm to 3 am, which is awesome- except for the fact that with our schedule, we don’t get to bed before 2 am ourselves. My husband takes the first shift, and keeps him until 6 or 7 am, and then I get up and keep him until 1 pm, when we have to start getting ready for work. As soon as my husband hands him off, baby falls back asleep- but will only stay asleep in my arms/on my chest. There does not appear to be any way to set him back in his crib- it doesn’t matter how long I wait, how deeply asleep he is, what the temp is in his room, how he’s dressed- within literal minutes of being laid down in his crib, he’s awake and demanding to be scooped up again.

I’m not willing to do cry it out, and I feel like five months is really too early for any sort of meaningful sleep training, but is there any conceivable way I could get him to sleep in his crib after a briefer snuggle? Five hours of sleep is really starting to hurt me and my husband both!

The stuff about sleep is the same for my son except he's only a little over 4 months. We're doing some research right now about different techniques because holding him to sleep is not sustainable. I'll let you know if we find something, but hopefully someone here can help both our families!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My baby is not quite 4 months old and I now settle to sleep in the cot or bassinet.

I did it as a slow transition from rocking to sleep, to cuddling to sleep and then gradually putting down tired but alert. She is not easy to get to sleep, and it has taken a lot of persistence, and is still difficult, but I’m hopeful that the habits I’m setting up now will make things easier long term.

Basically I lay her on her side and then hold her in place there, comforting her until her eyes close. What I do to comfort her depends on what she responds to, and sometimes I have to try a lot of different things until I hit the right combo for this nap or sleep. Things that work include: stroking forehead, patting backside rhythmically like a heartbeat, shh in ears, roll side to side. Sometimes she’s happy to stay in place, sometimes she’s very forceful with her writhing and wriggling and we roll her onto the opposite side.

She does cry, so this is not a no cry solution at least for us, but we are there the whole time comforting her, and we only do this if we know her other needs like feeds and clean nappies are met.

It can take 30+ mins on a bad day and I often find myself feeling like giving up, but if I push through that, she settles to sleep often a couple of minutes later. For day sleeps I try to resettle after a sleep cycle but night sleeps she’s usually okay and I only go into her if she calls out. At night I wait around 10 mins after she’s asleep to leave the room because sometimes she rouses just to check I’m still there.

Anyway hope this helps. The first couple of times can be rough when the baby cries and all you want to do is cuddle, but remember that they are safe, they know you are there and you are actively comforting them even if they’re not scooped up in your arms.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I don't go here but I felt you folks would appreciate this

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1013805232894160896?s=19

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Related, I suspect my toddler intentionally hurt himself to extend his bedtime last night.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Pretty much. My son claims to be hurt all the time, and actually got upset when his scraped knee healed “oh nooo my boo boo’s gone” (dramatic sobs)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I sound like such an rear end in a top hat sometimes when I talk about my kids, but I learned early on to differentiate between real crying and yelling for attention. And just tonight I realized my 18-month old was truly no longer a baby and now a toddler when she was screaming from her crib for no reason. I walked in, lay her down, told her "go to sleep" firmly and looked her square in the eye until she reluctantly rolled over. We had been letting her stay up late these past few nights, assuming she was teething or something, when tonight I realized she was just loving with us to get more alone time when all the other kids had gone to bed.

I try to tell my kids all the time, we are wise to their games. My 5-year old went into the kitchen tonight to "check on the cookies" and lingered longer than just a look. When she came back out I asked if she had a taste and she emphatically denied it. I asked her again, oh no mama. One more time, she broke into a smile and said "just the crumbs on the counter!" which means she probably licked a few or pocketed one for later tonight. I let them get away with small stuff like that, but the big lies or con jobs I shut them down quick as I can.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hi_Bears posted:

Pretty much. My son claims to be hurt all the time, and actually got upset when his scraped knee healed “oh nooo my boo boo’s gone” (dramatic sobs)

Have you started soccer lessons yet?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Update on my baby that won't nap: about a week ago he began fussing a lot more at feedings. We had no idea if they were related but it made 16 hours of our day completely miserable so we went to the doctors

She diagnosed him immediately with reflux. We got meds and she said we need to elevate his mattress. He never spits up, but apparently there's a thing called "silent reflux" where they have all the rest of the symptoms with the classic coughing up milk

anyway. we'll see if it works

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Good luck! Our son had silent reflux, and after we found a med that worked (the first two didn't) everything got soooo much better.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

femcastra posted:

My baby is not quite 4 months old and I now settle to sleep in the cot or bassinet.

I did it as a slow transition from rocking to sleep, to cuddling to sleep and then gradually putting down tired but alert. She is not easy to get to sleep, and it has taken a lot of persistence, and is still difficult, but I’m hopeful that the habits I’m setting up now will make things easier long term.

Basically I lay her on her side and then hold her in place there, comforting her until her eyes close. What I do to comfort her depends on what she responds to, and sometimes I have to try a lot of different things until I hit the right combo for this nap or sleep. Things that work include: stroking forehead, patting backside rhythmically like a heartbeat, shh in ears, roll side to side. Sometimes she’s happy to stay in place, sometimes she’s very forceful with her writhing and wriggling and we roll her onto the opposite side.

She does cry, so this is not a no cry solution at least for us, but we are there the whole time comforting her, and we only do this if we know her other needs like feeds and clean nappies are met.

It can take 30+ mins on a bad day and I often find myself feeling like giving up, but if I push through that, she settles to sleep often a couple of minutes later. For day sleeps I try to resettle after a sleep cycle but night sleeps she’s usually okay and I only go into her if she calls out. At night I wait around 10 mins after she’s asleep to leave the room because sometimes she rouses just to check I’m still there.

Anyway hope this helps. The first couple of times can be rough when the baby cries and all you want to do is cuddle, but remember that they are safe, they know you are there and you are actively comforting them even if they’re not scooped up in your arms.

By the way none of this has worked the past 3 days on holiday and I’ve reverted to cuddling/singing her to sleep.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Friends of ours took their 4 and 2 year olds to see fireworks last night and invited us. We declined. They thought we were being overly cautious in not wanting to bring our 2.5 year and 2 month olds to see fireworks.

I definitely wouldn't take my 2 month old to a fireworks celebration, but are we depriving our 2.5 year old of an experience by wanting to keep to her bedtime schedule and avoid potential "loud noise" fears?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
No. We took our 5 year old for the first time last night. The fireworks didn’t start until 9:45, he didn’t get into bed until 10:30 & then still woke up at 6:30 this morning.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Friends of ours took their 4 and 2 year olds to see fireworks last night and invited us. We declined. They thought we were being overly cautious in not wanting to bring our 2.5 year and 2 month olds to see fireworks.

I definitely wouldn't take my 2 month old to a fireworks celebration, but are we depriving our 2.5 year old of an experience by wanting to keep to her bedtime schedule and avoid potential "loud noise" fears?

I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid at taking a 2 month old to fireworks, I’d have more reservations about the elder one. They’d be more impacted by the loud noise and flashes.

But if it’s a bedtime schedule thing, then I’m with you. I’m all about schedule and routine, and fireworks isn’t worth having to reinforce a bedtime routine if it was broken.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’d have done it, but my kids are not at all sticklers for routine so it wouldn’t have been a problem getting them to bed afterwards. I have friends who have kids that really need that strict routine for whatever reason who, like you, wouldn’t have gone. It just depends on what sort of kid you got, imo.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Nope. They don't know what they're missing so you're not depriving them of anything. Bedtime is pretty sacred for us and I try not to keep our 2.5yo up too late because he will turn into a cranky monster and then wake up even earlier the next day. We decided 15 minutes of fireworks at 9pm then getting stuck in traffic for who knows how long is just not worth it at this age, and I have zero guilt or regrets about that decision.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

Update on my baby that won't nap: about a week ago he began fussing a lot more at feedings. We had no idea if they were related but it made 16 hours of our day completely miserable so we went to the doctors

She diagnosed him immediately with reflux. We got meds and she said we need to elevate his mattress. He never spits up, but apparently there's a thing called "silent reflux" where they have all the rest of the symptoms with the classic coughing up milk

anyway. we'll see if it works

Get one of these. It’s the only thing my son with reflux will sleep/nap in. It’s a miracle for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...pA1L&ref=plSrch

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

screech on the beach posted:

Get one of these. It’s the only thing my son with reflux will sleep/nap in. It’s a miracle for us.

:emptyquote:

My in laws had bought one and it kept my boy asleep at their house until he grew out of it. I miss it. I'm impressed he's having such restful sleep while every Yahoo shoots off now legal fireworks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The town fireworks got moved to a temporary location this year due to construction. The temp launching site was less than a mile from our house.

The twins haven’t stirred the whole time, and the almost 4yo was a champ staying up that late for fireworks, she didn’t get to bed until 1045. We could walk half a mile to a field outside our neighborhood to watch the fireworks. I’m sure she passed out within minutes of hitting the pillow.

poo poo, parenting is under control right now. When is that gonna change again?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

We took our 2.5 year old to one back in September. It worked out OK. I'd say it really depends on how they handle bedtime. She's pretty flexible with it. She's usually up the same time the next day, but her natural wakeup is around 9, so even getting home late she wasn't too too short on sleep. We made doubly sure she had a good nap the next day and it seemed fine.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
It's finally about to happen. My wife's going back to full time work in an office so our 2.5yr old is going to daycare for the first time.

I'm honestly worried about how hard this is gonna be on him. He's never been away from any of his family so I don't think he understands how to act. I mean, I know it'll pass but it's hard on dad too.

plus :shepspends:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hello Leap 9 and waking up for four hour stretches at night. My daughter refused/could not sleep until 11:15 pm, then woke up at 12:30 am, STAYED AWAKE and when it got to about 4:00 am I said screw it I'm getting up and starting my day because I normally wake at 6:00 am anyway and there was no sleep in sight. It is now 5:00 am and I am heading out the door for work and she is finally asleep again and I am going to be a complete wreck today because I got a whole 2 hours of sleep. Yay parenting.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

screech on the beach posted:

Oh interesting! We have one and used it for 'living room naps' but he stopped taking to it around the same time he began hating everything else. However, we haven't yet combined this with a darkened bedroom (which is how we coax naps out of him now), so I'll give that a spin

Thanks!

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Here's an article about how important it is to have back-and-forth conversations with kids rather than just dumping words on them:

https://news.mit.edu/2018/conversation-boost-childrens-brain-response-language-0214

Not really novel stuff, and I'm always skeptical of fmri findings, but interesting nonetheless. There's a paragraph at the end that says that like this might result in a device that gives electronic signals to the adults to engage with their child. Which I feel like that's a pretty weird takeaway, but whatever.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

bollig posted:

Here's an article about how important it is to have back-and-forth conversations with kids rather than just dumping words on them:

https://news.mit.edu/2018/conversation-boost-childrens-brain-response-language-0214

Not really novel stuff, and I'm always skeptical of fmri findings, but interesting nonetheless. There's a paragraph at the end that says that like this might result in a device that gives electronic signals to the adults to engage with their child. Which I feel like that's a pretty weird takeaway, but whatever.

Next they should study the effects on the adult brain when a 4-6 year old regularly does a word dump onto them, instead of taking conversational turns. :engleft:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

cailleask posted:

Next they should study the effects on the adult brain when a 4-6 year old regularly does a word dump onto them, instead of taking conversational turns. :engleft:

I joke that having a toddler/young child should be a requirement for astronaut training like in the movie "The Right Stuff". Instead of loud alarms going off, its a 4 year old screaming at you about something or telling you about the dog they saw out the window.

Edit: I know I have a much higher tolerance / am able to tune a lot more stuff out than a person without kids. My office is next to a person with a loud and obnoxious laugh. I honestly didn't notice until it was pointed out to me.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 9, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

cailleask posted:

I found a pic of my brain after the 67th dinosaur question of the day

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My about to be 4 year old has impetigo and we were on the way to the doc the other day... riding in the car she says:

"Hey Dad..."

"yeah?"

"remember that time the man was in the green room and then a police mans came in and talked to him but then his mouth started to close up and then another police mans comes in and puts him on a table and then another police mans comes in and gets the worm out and then takes the worm and puts it in his belly button. Remember that?"

At this point I've figured out she somehow has seen some of The Matrix (turns out it was my wife accidentally leaving it on).

All I can could muster was a "uh.. y... yeahhhh."

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BonoMan posted:

At this point I've figured out she somehow has seen some of The Matrix (turns out it was my wife accidentally leaving it on).

When Get Out was playing constantly on HBO I would put it on in the background, and my kids refer to it as the "surgery" movie. Because I always turn it off right after the guy starts cutting the scalp open before all the heavy violence and they don't understand the subtext of any of it, for them it's just people standing around and talking about boring stuff. Someday I'll let them see the rest of the movie and explain the real meaning of it all.

And I still remember being scarred by the first big action sequence in Aliens, for some reason my father didn't realize it might be frightening to a kid. It took me decades to see the film again.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The crazy thing is my daughter eats it up. She *loves* scary poo poo. But I'm still trying to monitor it to give her a healthy basis for "reality." She loves Gremlins to death but was once making me tell her a story (where she sets the parameters) and when the hero killed the spider at the end she made sure to go into *great detail* how the spider died and started bubbling and oozing and it's bones came out of it's skin. It was the ending death scene from Gremlins where Stripe dies. And she was being all animated with how the body has to wriggle around. In her mind it was the coolest thing ever but I was like "nope... that can't be healthy!"

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
lol that’s hilarious. Kids are so crazy. I remember when my eldest daughter was 4 and her pet bunny died. I was crying and so worried about her feelings; whereas she was fascinated. She kept poking it, grabbing the tail and using it to slap it around. “Look how it doesn’t bend!”

Then she spent the next couple of weeks asking people “who am I?” then laying still on the ground, waiting until someone guessed and saying “nope. I’m a dead bunny!” While cracking up laughing.....

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
We were on vacation for 1 week.

We thought this would be great for our son you know, take some time off from daycare and all.

Going back is hell. He's crying about the dumbest thing all day, cries when I drop him off at daycare, etc etc.

Gosh this is tiring. We have another week of vacation in 3 weeks.

blehhhhhhh

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kitiara posted:

lol that’s hilarious. Kids are so crazy. I remember when my eldest daughter was 4 and her pet bunny died. I was crying and so worried about her feelings; whereas she was fascinated. She kept poking it, grabbing the tail and using it to slap it around. “Look how it doesn’t bend!”

Then she spent the next couple of weeks asking people “who am I?” then laying still on the ground, waiting until someone guessed and saying “nope. I’m a dead bunny!” While cracking up laughing.....

Kids understand death later than you'd might think, and understand their own mortality even later.

I vividly remember the exact moment my sister discovered her mortality. She was around six, and her great uncle had died. She was asking a lot of questions about the funeral, moving on to aging, and finally to death.

She eventually asked, "but mommy, will you also die when you get really old?". When we answered that, she started crying. She paused for a bit, and then asked timidly, "am I also going to die when I get really old?". After the answer, she cried hysterically for a few minutes. :smith:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
When I found out about death, I looked at my mother with tears in my eyes and said "I don't want you to die!"

When my younger sister found out about death, she thought for a second and then said "But I don't want to die!" in a very aggravated tone.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Props to my wife who spent all day at the mall in line with our 4 year old to get into that Build-A-Bear special going on today.

But seriously, gently caress all the noise surrounding that.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Props to my wife who spent all day at the mall in line with our 4 year old to get into that Build-A-Bear special going on today.

But seriously, gently caress all the noise surrounding that.

I seriously don't understand why. Is saving a few pounds/dollars really worth standing in line the whole day with a 4 year old?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My parents did it with my nieces. I got a coupon for $15 off and bounced. They got there at 8am and are finally about 20 feet away. I think they are retarded

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

My son is almost 2 and we're planning a large ish birthday party for him with some rented picnic tables and BBQ space at a park.

What did you guys do for 2yr birthday parties? Should I plan some actual activities beyond "hey go play in the park?" We have a bubble machine so we'll probably bring that. Also what are some appropriate items for goodie bags?

My son also finally started saying some words: mama, dada and roomba. We're working on others but he only has a small variety of syllables he can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Renting one of those bouncy castles was always a hit, and had the benefit of keeping kids confined to a specific area. Recently we went to a party where the host actually rented two, so that they could have the older kids in one and smaller kids (who would easily get trampled) in another.