Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Destroying society to trigger the libs :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

In the past 3-5 months I've [28/m] switched from far left to pretty far libertarian right, almost a complete 180. I've lost probably 80% of my friend group and my family thinks I'm having a psychotic break. I don't feel psychotic, but I have no idea what's going on or how to stop.

Lmao this dude is literal garbage who genuinely believes he was once "far left" because he believes in defending the right to say whatever offensive bullshit you want and helping poor people except when they meet arbitrary standards based on urban myths is immensely important. I'm glad all his friends and family gave up on him. :laugh:

It's like your idiot rear end in a top hat Facebook friends leading up to the 2016 election who claimed they were Democrats or left-leaning independents who were like "Maybe this Trump guy isn't so bad, unlike Hillary who is actually Satan"

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving lol if you give even the tiniest bit of a poo poo about what anyone does to a flag of anything

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But burning the flag is DISRESPECTFUL to our COUNTRY. :911:

*doesn't say anything about the tacky American flag shirts/socks/pants/hats covering the fattest people at wal-mart*

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haifisch posted:

But burning the flag is DISRESPECTFUL to our COUNTRY. :911:

Yeah, that's exactly why we do it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

I (M31) Getting married in two months (to F32). An old love (F29) who I never got a chance to be with has returned and asked me to call off the wedding.

I, too, call a person I hosed for a week nearly a decade ago an 'old love' worth torpedoing a nearly decade-long relationship for. He clearly thinks he's settling and doesn't seem to understand that a recently divorced lady asking him to dump his fiancee out of nowhere for her is looking more for validation than an actual relationship.

The mature thing to do is turn Sarah down and realize this is just a crush and will pass. But since he clearly resents his fiancee, I'd urge him to go for it and save himself of trying to justify cheating later when it means a messy divorce. What a piece of poo poo person.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I didn't even notice Cag got banned again. More spine money I guess. Maybe for his reincarnation we can get a mini mod rule that he can't use the vanilla smiley face to close out every sentence, that'd be swell.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jeza posted:

I didn't even notice Cag got banned again. More spine money I guess. Maybe for his reincarnation we can get a mini mod rule that he can't use the vanilla smiley face to close out every sentence post, that'd be swell.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Esoteric Scientist posted:

from /r/sex:

What should I do about this incident, how should I tell my husband?

Why in the HECK was a low-functioning autistic 32 year old not in professional care? gently caress. I hate naive idiots like this lady who think they're doing the "right thing". :cripes:

Also uh why is heckkkkkk is she posting an extremely sensitive messed up situation in /r/sex, which is designed for folks to ask important questions such as "How do I make my girlfriend squirt?" or "What should I do when I'm on top?", and not uh literally any subreddit in existence about family issues, autism, etc?????? :allbuttons:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 4, 2018

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Jeza posted:

I didn't even notice Cag got banned again. More spine money I guess. Maybe for his reincarnation we can get a mini mod rule that he can't use the vanilla smiley face to close out every sentence, that'd be swell.

just make a script that replaces all his posts with :decorum: or picks smiley which I forgot the code for

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

just make a script that replaces all his posts with :decorum: or picks smiley which I forgot the code for

:lofty:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I feel like this was the lady posted a zillion pages back with the pants making GBS threads fetish: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/national-business/article214182599.html#storylink=rss

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/legaladvice
We just lost $400,000 to a scammer
u/CashGoneThrowaway

quote:

Throwaway for obvious reasons. edit: location NY

--------------------------------

TLDR: A scammer pretended to be our real estate lawyer and convinced my husband to wire $400,000 last Friday. What steps should we take to try to recover our money?

-------------------------------

My husband and I are in the process of buying a new house. We are in the incredibly fortunate position that my in-laws are very wealthy and are providing us with a mortgage (in essence they are the bank). For that reason, our real estate lawyer has served as the 'bank' in all of our transactions. She writes the checks and manages the escrow accounts.

We are set to close on our new house when the builder is done and gets a c/o at the end of the month. Last month, my husband started getting emails from who he thought was our lawyer (first red flag: it was a yahoo account and not her mindcloud account). This person knew the details of the transactions and convinced him to set up 4 wire transfers (second red flag: why 4 transfers and not one) to a random llc (third red flag: we had given the money to her directly in the past using a check in person).

We were set to leave for vacation Friday afternoon, so Friday morning he went to the Chase branch near his office and set up the transfers. This morning, he gets another email asking to change the amounts/dates/locations of the remaining three transfers. He was so fed up that he called the lawyer to complain. At this point, the lawyer, who is a sweet older woman, was super confused and said she hadn't sent any emails this past month.

We've spoken to chase to stop the remaining transfers. Chase is trying to recover the money from the first transfer. We've spoken to the police where we live and the police where the bank is located and they said there's no rush to file a police report until the bank finishes their investigation. We've spoken to our insurance company. Their coverage is $200. Since the money is from my in-laws, we can also check with their homeowners insurance.

We've also spoken to our lawyer. We told her to change all her passwords and let her clients know that someone has been pretending to be her. We also recommended she ditch the mindcloud account and speak with a computer security expert to see if she was hacked. Our close friend is a tech expert with 15+ years in the field, and he doesn't think our gmail accounts were hacked (he did a security check up for us).

What else should we do? Who else should we talk to? We are thinking that the best case is that we can prove the lawyer's email was hacked and that her liability insurance will cover it. Thank you.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
u/CashGoneThrowaway

They stole $400,000 from their in-laws/parents.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

CheesyDog posted:

I was in a band with my high school Spanish teacher a few years after I had graduated and it still felt weird

I never was taught in any classes by L, but she was a mentor in our college gay-straight club, and I knew her and her wife, and when they needed a nanny, I applied and got the spot. A year or so later, she told one of my other college professors (who had been my direct teacher in two classes about a year or so before I was a nanny) and he asked me to help watch his kids. So I nannied for that family too. The thing was, this was college, I had little contact with the parents, mostly just the kids, and once you've helped with laundry or made dinner, you can't go back to being a student of theirs.

High school, gently caress that noise. Most people are horrible in high school, why would you want your teacher to remember you from then?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
u/CashGoneThrowaway

Jesus gently caress

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

They stole $400,000 from their in-laws/parents.

The cops will actually take time out of their busy schedule of stomping around in jackboots to solve this one so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wire fraud probably has a higher solve rate than murder in the United States so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"honey, the old grandma lawyer who's handling our house purchase has a new email account and is asking us to send $400,000 to four different random corporations i've never heard of."
"hmm. should we give her a call to check it out?"
"nah let's just do what she says. i'm sure everything is on the level."
"good idea. that's thinking efficiently"

those scammers deserve the money more than the couple does

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

"honey, the old grandma lawyer who's handling our house purchase has a new email account and is asking us to send $400,000 to four different random corporations i've never heard of."
"hmm. should we give her a call to check it out?"
"nah let's just do what she says. i'm sure everything is on the level."
"good idea. that's thinking efficiently"

Yeah I mean kinda gently caress those idiots. If I had someone willing to hand me 400k for a house I would be drat sure I knew what the hell I was doing.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah. I imagine the real estate agent, like anyone who works with wire transfers, must have told them at some point to confirm everything directly with her. I have to put in writing that I verbally confirmed every wire transfer a client requests along with details like, "Have spoken with them for years, contacted on a line I normally use to reach them."

tactlessbastard posted:

The cops will actually take time out of their busy schedule of stomping around in jackboots to solve this one so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Interesting post from the r/legaladvice thread:

quote:

You need to file a report with the Secret Service or FBI. Skip the local police nonsense. They don’t have the time, resources, or ability to follow through on his investigation

The bank might be able to freeze the money, but they won’t release the money back to you without a court order. Liability purposes.

What happens is the SS will get a judge to say “yep, this money is forfeited” (wait, I’ll explain)

The SS will seize the money and transfer the money to a government account.

They then will post a notice about the money, and if anyone has a claim to the money to come forward. That’s when you come forward. And then you can get your money back.

That’s how it’s being done at my level, things change depending on the area.

Good luck.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

cumshitter posted:

Yeah. I imagine the real estate agent, like anyone who works with wire transfers, must have told them at some point to confirm everything directly with her. I have to put in writing that I verbally confirmed every wire transfer a client requests along with details like, "Have spoken with them for years, contacted on a line I normally use to reach them."

Interesting post from the r/legaladvice thread:

So it won't interfere with jackboot time at all! These morons are made in the shade.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*american justice systemly*

it'll be ok, it'll be ok... show me on this routing number where they touched the money :(

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I don't know. Sounds like they got the gravy train already.

Why would they then rob the train, derail it and then open a taxi service?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
u/CashGoneThrowaway

Everyone all the way through the home-buying process who has any actual business involvement with it (your lawyers, your realtors, etc) tells you over and over to verify wiring instructions immediately before doing a wire transfer. Like, to call your lawyer's office on the phone while you're sitting at the bank worker's desk and make sure your numbers are right. When I did this in the process of buying our condo a couple months ago, the lawyer's receptionist and the bank employees both told me I was the first person they'd seen actually do it in years.

They missed tons of red flags, but apparently most people aren't really all that much smarter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blugu64 posted:

get in the habit of writing down, on the back of their business card, how he met someone (professionally) and 2-3 things he noticed/remembered about their conversation.

That is amazingly good council for someone who is "not good a this" and I will use that as advice to give others who need that kind of help in the future.

Doc Hawkins posted:

When she had that kvetch about "even with all my education and experience I'm still being treated as a novice/trainee" I scrolled up to check her age and had a good laugh.

:emptyquote:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
u/CashGoneThrowaway

I’ve seen this happen in a corporate setting. Email “from” the COO advising account payable to change the banking information for supplier XYZ to ABC. Next million dollar invoice comes due, welp, money’s in south east Asia now and we can’t get it back.

The person who supposedly sent that email and the person who changed the routing information sat twenty feet from one another.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’m not sure newly libertarian guy is beyond saving, but that may just be because I’d rather believe he’s reasonable and just really bad at communicating (much like myself at times.)

“Help poor people but only enough that they don’t have as much as people working full-time” could just be a remarkably tilted way of saying “I believe in UBI, but if you are able to work for additional luxuries, that seems fair.”

...couldn’t it?

No, probably not. :sigh:

That said, as a 30-something who did a couple of semesters of college with much younger people semi-recently, I get the part about conversations getting shut down for really bizarre reasons because somebody tried to express something and happened to use the wrong word.

In the case I’m thinking of, I was working on a group project (with a bunch of other white people) about racism in media and said “persons/people of colour.” There was audible gasping and a lecture about how horrible that was. I heard the term used on NPR a few days later. I’m still confused about what happened there. I sure as hell wasn’t trying to be a dick.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My (24F) boyfriend (25M) has no apparent interest in my love language...

quote:

Hey Guys,

Edit; for clarity I did not send him some itemized list randomly and ask him to buy me stuff - my birthday was coming up and he was asking for ideas so I sent an email with websited I liked, my favorite colors and general info like art prints, bird themed jewelry on etsy etc... I gave suggestions because he asked and I told him something around $20 that was cute and thoughtful would be perfect because he always spends a lot and doesn't need to.

some people have ignored half my post and cherry-picked the things that annoyed them, I think I made it clear that I appreciated the gestures he does and that this is a small niggling concern not some dramatic dealbreaker. I only used "love language" terminology because its widely recognized here and was an easy shortcut to explain my situation effectively. there are also alot of assumptions that I am somehow milking him for money - we share expenses 50/50 and for his last birthday I got him a $500 drone this is not some glaring inequality in our relationship that he needs to be rescued from..

thanks to those who actually answered my question and provided practical advice and constructive critcism.

Names are changed for privacy! I have been with my boyfriend "Josh" for around 3 years and have lived together for half that time. We have a solid loving relationship etc.. etc.. you don't need to know all the good stuff, just the reason I posted here.

For those of you familar with love languages, my top one by a mile is Gifts. That may make me seem materialistic but believe me when I say I would be deliriously happy if I received a single hand picked flower, or had a post-it note on the mirror when I woke up in the morning. Maybe my favorite candy, or a random phone cover or something. It doesn't need to be expensive.

The whole idea for me, is that these things have thought and effort behind them. Receiving them is a physical manifestation of their consideration and wanting to make you feel happy and special.

Of course, since I love receiving gifts I also adore giving them. I put a lot of thought into birthday and Xmas presents for my partner and also little gifts for no reason. I've baked dessert, I've bought him clothes, I've randomly made a photo board, I bought a sex bell, tickets to shows, video games, flowers, cute notes, sentimental anniversary presents! You get the idea.

He is big on quality time and touch. I made sure to find out his love languages too and I am very active in trying to cater to them. I love how affectionate he is and that he genuinely wants to spend active time with me. My issue is despite many conversations, he doesn't seem to take my suggestions into account or put together any romantic gestures or little gifts. He does practical things to help me ALL the time but I want something a little romantic every so often. Don't get me wrong, on big occasions, he is very generous. Beautiful jewelry for birthdays, a ridiculously pretty guitar for Christmas, sexy underwear for Valentines day. He has no problems spending money on me so I know that's not the issue.

First I tried hinting - "Oh so and so bought her girlfriend flowers at work it was so sweet" etc..and that didn't work. Fair enough, I wasn't clear. Then I explained the love languages and how mine was gifts and how good it would feel to get something. Nothing. Then I had a frank discussion about why he hadn't done it and if there was a roadblock (he felt obligated, he resented feeling asked, he didn't understand the reasons I wanted them) nothing. Then I sent an email of little things I would love (under $20 each) and said I would love to be surprised every now and then - just in case he didn't know what to get or do and it was holding him back. Nothing.

Honestly, at this point, I either need to have a really honest discussion or I need to go into denial and push this need down and away and accept that if it hasn't happened by now, it's never going to happen and it's just not in his personality to do this kind of stuff.

I don't know how to bring it up again considering how many times this has already come up - it's almost awkward at this point to say, hey, sorry to annoy you but remember all those times I talked about thoughtful gestures or cute notes or little gifts - why haven't you done it?

Would you suggest just asking him point blank why it hasn't happened, or just letting it go and accepting that this kind of love language is not going to be part of my relationship. He is such an incredible person and wonderful partner and in the scheme of things this is a small issue (not keeping me up at night) but I also want to be open with him and not ignore or avoid my needs.

TL;DR - I want candy, my boyfriend want's hugs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ok wait

What's a sex bell though

Not sure I want it in my search history

e: my wife doesn't know either but guessed it's like a dinner bell but for sex

"Come and get it!!!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

burial posted:

That said, as a 30-something who did a couple of semesters of college with much younger people semi-recently, I get the part about conversations getting shut down for really bizarre reasons because somebody tried to express something and happened to use the wrong word.

In the case I’m thinking of, I was working on a group project (with a bunch of other white people) about racism in media and said “persons/people of colour.” There was audible gasping and a lecture about how horrible that was. I heard the term used on NPR a few days later. I’m still confused about what happened there. I sure as hell wasn’t trying to be a dick.

"people of color" is fine and most college students are super idiots

however the way to be woke is to use a more relevant or specific descriptor than just grouping together everyone who's above a Fitzpatrick II. don't say "hispanic" (could people from spain, the americas, the phillipines, more) if you mean "latino/a" (americas only) and don't say "latino" if you mean "guatemalan" and don't say "guatemalan" if you mean "luis in third period english".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I mean kinda gently caress those idiots. If I had someone willing to hand me 400k for a house I would be drat sure I knew what the hell I was doing.

Not just $400k. $400k was just the first transfer, of four.

These are kids that probably grew up rich, that explains why they're so naive

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

loquacius posted:

Ok wait

What's a sex bell though

"Come and get it!!!"
The comments didn't help(and I'm sure as hell not googling that at work), but I did find out that some redditors are finally getting sick of the cult of Love Languages. There might be hope for a few of them, maybe.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

TheScott2K posted:

Guarantee this either didn't happen, or didn't happen the way it's being described

The only flag international students care about is taiwans.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
That love language nonsense is some of the most contemptible poo poo I’ve seen spring up in a long time. When I first started seeing it years ago, it was stuff like, “My love language is occasional back rubs, and his love language is breakfast in bed once a month.“ That morphed almost immediately into, “My love language is this extremely specific list of exhausting demands, which you must follow down to the most minute detail.“ Now, 90% of the time I see that phrase, it’s being used to justify base materialism, or blatant codependence.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

loquacius posted:

Ok wait

What's a sex bell though

"Come and get it!!!"

Maybe it's like clicker training for dogs, but for human sex.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
You guys never learned about Pavlov's Dong?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i am a sex bell, my clitoris is made of brass and when i'm aroused it clinks musically against the rock-hard walls of my vag

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Sometimes I can understand the love language thing but other times I really can't. Like to me, several of them blur together, the idea that gift giving is completely separate from acts of service just sort of confounds me. For example, your SO is busy as all hell this week so after work you swing by to do some chores and cook dinner for them, is that less of a gift than just hiring a maid or ordering takeout or something?

I can kinda get the posts where people are like "our love languages are different, i just wanna do x/y/z with him while all he cares about is getting some head" but generally those issues just seem like straightup lopsided commitment in general and it's not the "language" that's the problem.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Sometimes I can understand the love language thing but other times I really can't. Like to me, several of them blur together, the idea that gift giving is completely separate from acts of service just sort of confounds me. For example, your SO is busy as all hell this week so after work you swing by to do some chores and cook dinner for them, is that less of a gift than just hiring a maid or ordering takeout or something?

Gift would be something unrelated; you get them a watch they talked about.

The whole thing is clearly on the outs and something more bizarre will replace it because like corporate self help seminars what matters is newness not functionality