Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
basically whatever it is if it's an apartment have the landlord check that poo poo out immediately and if it's a house hire a professional to check that poo poo out immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ok yeah, looks a lot like the google image results for termite poop and the fact that its in only one place might mean it's coming from a termite hole right above the shelf.

hrm

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:itwaspoo:

Good luck!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i got to experience swarming termites recently. in the end there was probably a cup+ of just termite wings in the vacuum that had formed into a separate layer above the termite bodies. also some of the termites were walking around daisy chained rear end to mouth which it turns out is how they ensure everybody gets the bacteria required to digest wood. i killed their whole civilization with nerve gas

^^^^^ rest in piss

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 28, 2018

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I don't know what it is, but its about 1cm long, lives in southern Quebec and needs to see a hair dresser:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Burbo posted:

Is this some sort of critter residue? There’s a lot of it and it always comes back in the same spot (right next to a wall) even after I clean it up

Dime for reference

That's termite droppings. Go up the wall inch by inch, looking for a hole. It might even be in the ceiling. There'll be a pinhole in the drywall/stucco/paint; It's coming from there.

You can put a dab of hot glue or something over it, but you're only delaying the inevitable; Call an exterminator now, and not next week.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Sauer posted:

I don't know what it is, but its about 1cm long, lives in southern Quebec and needs to see a hair dresser:

Based on that size keep an eye out for more because itty bitty scruffy moths can mean someone's attacking your linens or your pantry.

Great shot, by the way!

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
always remember to donate

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Couple shots of a halloween pennant dragonfly

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 1, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Red Queen posted:

Based on that size keep an eye out for more because itty bitty scruffy moths can mean someone's attacking your linens or your pantry.

Great shot, by the way!

gently caress pantry moths. If you've got them, Amazon sells glue traps baited with pheromones that will lure all the males to their deaths so they don't reproduce

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Turns out Box Turtles glow under UV light, and lay eggs in July. Hatch is between 70 and 120 days from now, so probably won't catch that.

Also, snowberry clearwing cats glow under UV, but you knew that.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Came across what I think was a yellow faced bumble bee on my way inside today. Snapped a picture to try to identify her. She was hanging out on the ground, and snubbed the sugar/water mix I tried to offer her. I went back inside, trying to figure out what to do, and when I finally decided to at least move her out of the way of foot traffic, I came out to find she had died. Is there anything else I should have done? I was having a pretty alright day, and now I'm sad. :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The sad fact of bee life is that foragers don't retire in the hive, they just don't come back one day. Workers from eusocial insect species usually work themselves literally to death.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On an uplifting note, these burly beasts showed up on our porch screen:

(Its butt is a Hydralisk!)

And fireflies are still cruising Pittsburgh:

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The sad fact of bee life is that foragers don't retire in the hive, they just don't come back one day. Workers from eusocial insect species usually work themselves literally to death.

That's kind of what I thought. Ah well. I left her among the flowers, at least. Goodnight, sweet bee.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

uberwekkness posted:

Came across what I think was a yellow faced bumble bee on my way inside today. Snapped a picture to try to identify her. She was hanging out on the ground, and snubbed the sugar/water mix I tried to offer her. I went back inside, trying to figure out what to do, and when I finally decided to at least move her out of the way of foot traffic, I came out to find she had died. Is there anything else I should have done? I was having a pretty alright day, and now I'm sad. :(

Bombus vosnesenskii, probably. Could be B. vandykei or B. caliginosus but those are less common. Need a better look at it to determine for sure anyway.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This bee probably didn't die of old age. Old bumble bees get a distinct bald patch on their thorax and rough wing edges as rubbing against flowers, the hive entryway, and their sisters in the hive wears the hair and wings down. This one looks young.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:argh: Fair. Knew I should've included that parenthetical "barring accident, disease, or predation." Regardless, it's not likely something uberwekkness could've prevented.

Pet all bees (actually don't).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Regardless, it's not likely something uberwekkness could've prevented.

This is true. Regardless of the bee's state of health the sugar water wouldn't be much help anyway. I'm not sure how that craze started.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Pet all bees (actually don't).

Actually do :getin:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Alpenglow posted:

And fireflies are still cruising Pittsburgh:

This is real cool. Definitely gives off the summertime vibe.

female blue dasher chillin on a branch.

The second hardest part about using ultra wild macro lenses is that the background does play a big role. These are a little cluttered for my tastes, but I couldn't do much at this angle and I was getting tired of chasing dragonflies for an hour straight. Uncooperative bastards.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I found something freaking out in the sandpit. Thought it was a baby bird that'd fallen out of its nest, but it turned out to be this pretty thing:

A wasp had bittten onto its wing. I removed it and the eyed hawk-moth rested on my hand for a while before flying away, hopefully finding a mate in its short time as an adult.

The adults have deprecated mouthparts and don't feed, living less than a week.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Moths are awesome. I haven't come across any of the larger ones yet, hoping to come across some lunas at some point.

Slaty skimmer:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ There's a gas station on the highway outside of town that supposedly has regular Luna moth visitors clinging to the windows of the convenience store. We've already collected a few other moths from there, the guy behind the counter has been quite friendly and helpful.

On Sunday I joined a project on iNaturalist, with the goal of finding 151 species for Canada's 151st birthday.

I got to about 100, with some probable duplicates bringing that down a little, but with my fiancee our team score is somewhere near 200. Our home internet is slow, so I only managed to upload and file a handful last night, but iNaturalist's resident experts happily identified a couple of things for me.

The first observation of the day, an Eastern Tent Caterpillar Moth on the screen of my front door. Makes sense, we had a major infestation of these guys this year, a month ago you could't walk anywhere outside without stepping on dozens of them, and running into hanging caterpillars from every tall structure (trees, buildings, lampposts...).
Canada 151 Bioblitz 0004 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I don't know what this mite might be.
Canada 151 Bioblitz 0005 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And my list includes around half plants, so here's a Smooth Brome as identified by somebody on iNaturalist representing an Ontario invasive species group.
Canada 151 Bioblitz 0009 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

iNaturalist is pretty good, so far. I'm going to keep using it - the app works reasonably well on my phone, but the website, as on my computer, is more flexible and user-friendly. I'm still figuring out the link between Flickr and iNaturalist, it seems to work well but I generate duplicate submissions when I select multiple photos for a single observation.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

PREYING MANTITS posted:

This is real cool. Definitely gives off the summertime vibe.

female blue dasher chillin on a branch.

The second hardest part about using ultra wild macro lenses is that the background does play a big role. These are a little cluttered for my tastes, but I couldn't do much at this angle and I was getting tired of chasing dragonflies for an hour straight. Uncooperative bastards.
what lens+camera are you using?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ There's a gas station on the highway outside of town that supposedly has regular Luna moth visitors clinging to the windows of the convenience store. We've already collected a few other moths from there, the guy behind the counter has been quite friendly and helpful.

Thanks! I always forget about gas stations and store windows. I'll definitely have to swing by and check some around here out at night!

a hole-y ghost posted:

what lens+camera are you using?

My camera body is a Nikon D750, the lens I'm using is a Venus Optics/Laowa 15mm ultra wide macro lens. It supposedly magnifies up to 1:1 but in the field I can never get that close and even still it takes a lot of getting used to.

Here's a "behind the scenes" shot of just how close you have to be:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I loving love this thread

I always see these guys in large groups.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Thanks! I always forget about gas stations and store windows. I'll definitely have to swing by and check some around here out at night!

My camera body is a Nikon D750, the lens I'm using is a Venus Optics/Laowa 15mm ultra wide macro lens. It supposedly magnifies up to 1:1 but in the field I can never get that close and even still it takes a lot of getting used to.

Here's a "behind the scenes" shot of just how close you have to be:

cool thanks

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A longer macro lens has a correspondingly longer working distance - the distance between the front element and the critter you're trying to shoot. A dragonfly like that Halloween Pennant would fill the frame nicely at a distance of around 3 feet, and be at something like 1:3 magnification. At 1:1 I'm maybe 6 or 8 inches from my subject (and the depth of field is thinner than the proverbial razor). 15mm seems crazy, but you're getting some fantastic shots. I have a Flickr tag, "outoffocustheyflyaway" that leads to a large number of photos of blurry bee butts and tailfeathers, because I tried to get too close.

Over There posted:

I always see these guys in large groups.

Yeah, there were a few dozen of these itty-bitty mites running around (stay still dammit! I'm trying to take a picture!) on the concrete pad in front of my house.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

A longer macro lens has a correspondingly longer working distance - the distance between the front element and the critter you're trying to shoot. A dragonfly like that Halloween Pennant would fill the frame nicely at a distance of around 3 feet, and be at something like 1:3 magnification. At 1:1 I'm maybe 6 or 8 inches from my subject (and the depth of field is thinner than the proverbial razor). 15mm seems crazy, but you're getting some fantastic shots. I have a Flickr tag, "outoffocustheyflyaway" that leads to a large number of photos of blurry bee butts and tailfeathers, because I tried to get too close.
what lens do you use? I've been thinking to pick up a macro lens for reference shots of small stuff and am planning so far to get a 100mm canon macro with IS so I don't need to get way up close but I'm kinda worried that a longer lens will give me too shallow a depth of field for effective reference. any thoughts?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, honestly the 15mm was an impulse buy and I didn't have huge expectations since I had never heard of Venus Optics before, but I've really loved the results and it has become my go-to macro for most work now. Most of what I photograph is around 0.4:1 and the working distance is about 4 inches for that. Kind of limiting in some cases. You can't just stick a huge camera/flash into a bush to get a photo of a cool spider or something, but if conditions are just right and you can get close enough the results are worth it.

I think I have around 60 photos of bee butts in my lightroom catalog, so I know that pain!

edit: also another thing you have to learn to deal with regarding this lens is that the aperture is completely manual via the front dial so as you step down it darkens the viewfinder considerably. I almost exclusively use live-view with it to focus.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 3, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

a hole-y ghost posted:

what lens do you use? I've been thinking to pick up a macro lens for reference shots of small stuff and am planning so far to get a 100mm canon macro with IS so I don't need to get way up close but I'm kinda worried that a longer lens will give me too shallow a depth of field for effective reference. any thoughts?
I'm shooting with a Pentax K-5 wearing a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro. It's my favourite lens, mainly because macro shots of bugs are so much fun, but it also has great sharpness on the occasions I actually manage to nail focus. Small birds in a forest, where I can get reasonably close but light levels are low, come out better on this lens than anything else I've shot with, mainly because all of my other lenses are considerably lower quality overall. 100mm is a very common macro lens focal length across many manufacturers, I know the current-gen Pentax equivalent is a 100mm. People seem to like them, judging by the persistence in the marketplace over 3 or 4 decades.

The depth of field is a limiting factor, certainly. I guess the trade-off is DoF vs. working distance. I shoot handheld on critters that can easily get away from me 99% of the time with this lens (the major exception is spiders on webs, but the slightest breeze makes them zip back and forth through my DoF). In my opinion and experience, anything with eyes works the same way - get the eye in focus and the picture is in focus. I've got series of shots of dragonflies and other bigger insects that have other parts of the individual in focus - eye, mouthparts, legs, wings - and the only ones that look "good" are the ones with the eye in focus. Sometimes I get lucky and the plane of focus includes both the eyes and the wings, so you can see the wing veins clearly. Most of the time, my background is a completely blurred out nothingness, which normally I like but Preying Mantits has some great actual-backgrounds in shots on Flickr that I won't be able to come close to replicating with my setup.

From further away, the DoF gets thicker, and cropping in post to fine-tune (or completely renovate) composition is not too bad until you start cropping out 3/4 or more of your image. Even then, I don't notice pixelation or ISO noise until I'm cropping really tight, so staying at a reasonable distance (avoid critter fleeing) and having a DoF thick enough to get the whole bug in focus is a reasonable strategy most of the time.

If you're taking pictures for identification, then the eyes-rule goes away. Lots of flies, for example, are distinguished by wing venation so a shot with a blurry face but nicely visible wings is golden. And of course you can break that rule for other interesting effects, like a close-up of gnarly mouthparts (find an assassin bug and shoot up its nose) or other parts.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Eyyy what good CQ can I get a ID on what I think is a brown click beetle but... maybe not? Hudson Valley NY and please to excuse my disgusting bitten thumbnail lol

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Eyyy what good CQ can I get a ID on what I think is a brown click beetle but... maybe not? Hudson Valley NY and please to excuse my disgusting bitten thumbnail lol

Wrong family. This is a longhorn beetle (Cyrimbicidae) but I don't know what it is beyond that because I'm not masochistic enough to bother learning beetle ID.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mak0rz posted:

Wrong family. This is a longhorn beetle (Cyrimbicidae) but I don't know what it is beyond that because I'm not masochistic enough to bother learning beetle ID.

Cool, I can tell that at least it's not a pine sawyer here to gently caress up the forest or whatever

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

From personal experience, a good rule of thumb is if you grab it and after a few moments of struggling it becomes rigid and starts snapping its upper body, it's a click beetle. If it instead starts biting the poo poo out of your hand it's a longhorn

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Couple more, but hey at least they aren't dragonflies!

Grapevine beetle

Oblong-winged Katydid with rare yellow color morph. Still hoping to find a pink one of these!

Eastern tailed-blue

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

awesome, thanks for the info!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Couple more, but hey at least they aren't dragonflies!

Grapevine beetle

"Heeeeeeey, how u doin"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know what this mite might be.
Canada 151 Bioblitz 0005 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Looks like a spider mite, they like to infest marijuana plants.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:same: little bug :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.
Found this little guy (gal?) on my front porch today. Couldn't have been more than a quarter inch long antennae-to-rear end. Had its right back leg temporarily caught in a cobweb and did not appreciate me sticking my phone in its face.

Only registered members can see post attachments!