Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
You could make decent Christian films, the problem is that they tend to be right-wing propaganda disguised as Christian films.

Chariots of Fire was a Christian film - big back in the '80s. It's a story about an athlete who refuses to run on Sundays. It was a movie popular among pretty much everyone back then, not just religious people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely grew up really into the Hercules movies, show, and spinoffs but I don't think at any time have i ever actually felt an attachment to Kevin Sorbo.

What I always find odd is that Sorbo and Cain are parts of Supergirl and that show and star hate Trump and mock him all the time. But I guess id you're Kevin Sorbo you don't turn down acting jobs.

IIRC correctly Sorbo’s right wing turn happened after his stroke. Kind of like Tila Tequila but so a less terrifying extent.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely grew up really into the Hercules movies, show, and spinoffs but I don't think at any time have i ever actually felt an attachment to Kevin Sorbo.

What I always find odd is that Sorbo and Cain are parts of Supergirl and that show and star hate Trump and mock him all the time. But I guess id you're Kevin Sorbo you don't turn down acting jobs.

As far as I'm aware, Lucy Lawless remains awesome and good.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Edmund Lava posted:

IIRC correctly Sorbo’s right wing turn happened after his stroke. Kind of like Tila Tequila but so a less terrifying extent.

Kevin Sorbo makes me sad because I really enjoyed his character in Hercules back in the day. That show informed me a lot about morality between the shots of people flying through the air in ridiculous slow motion shots. It was cheesy and upbeat in a way that I still enjoy, but Sorbo is a hateful rear end in a top hat.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Imagine having the entire US Government at your disposal, and your source for information is Fox & Friends.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

I 100% agree with this, voting owns + is good as hell and more people should exercise that right.

If everyone actually voted, and voted poorly, we could accept the consensus and know that we are surrounded by idiots rather than silent nonparticipatories.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ardeem posted:

As far as I'm aware, Lucy Lawless remains awesome and good.

Lucy Lawless is liberal, though she's a New Zealander, so she was definitely not gonna become a chud.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Imagine having the entire US Government at your disposal, and your source for information is Fox & Friends.

I'm sorry but I cannot imagine what it must be like to have holes in my brain caused by parasitic worms.

If you can imagine that then you've a better imagination than I.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stereotype posted:

If you go down the list of All That cast members they are basically all super liberal right now

Alyssa Milano is out there, showing who's the boss by campaigning for Democrats and women's rights.

BarbarianElephant posted:

You could make decent Christian films, the problem is that they tend to be right-wing propaganda disguised as Christian films.

Chariots of Fire was a Christian film - big back in the '80s. It's a story about an athlete who refuses to run on Sundays. It was a movie popular among pretty much everyone back then, not just religious people.

Angelina Jolie directed and the Coen brothers wrote Unbroken, which was about Olympic runner Louis Zamperini who found God while he was in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. While the film kind of brushes over he's later evangelist work, it does have him do the Christian thing of trying to forgive his enemies and persevering against his captors using his faith.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Like a bad case of herpes you will never truly be rid of me

Stop posting! Go back to the real world you monster! <3

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think Donald sees in Scott Pruitt a kindred spirit of shameless narcissism and self inflation.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

It probably helps that both of their characters on Supergirl lasted for like two episodes each.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hacksaw Ridge is about a Christian pacifist medic and it's one of the most hilariously over the top violent war films ever made.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FuturePastNow posted:

I think Donald sees in Scott Pruitt a kindred spirit of shameless narcissism and self inflation.

Well that and Trump thinks global warming is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese and he loves that Pruitt is tearing all that EPA poo poo down. What's millions in grift compared to the billions in profit the EPA is costing the real heroes of this country, the CEOs?

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 4, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kaal posted:

There's definitely a contingent that is far more interested in conspiracy theories and anti-authority behavior than any actual liberal politics, and they're a prime audience for a populist like Trump who can offer up some grandiose promises.

Fuckyoudadism is so loving stupid. Like I'm not sure if fyd and "givetheothersideachancenow" are actually worse than regressivism.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

RandomBlue posted:

Well that and Trump thinks global warming is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese and he loves that Pruitt is tearing all that EPA poo poo down. What's millions in grift compared to the billions in profit the EPA is costing the real heroes of this country, the CEOs?

Yeah but he could get any Republican to dismantle the EPA. But there's something genuinely wrong with Scott Pruitt that I think Donald sees something of himself in.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ice Phisherman posted:

Kevin Sorbo makes me sad because I really enjoyed his character in Hercules back in the day. That show informed me a lot about morality between the shots of people flying through the air in ridiculous slow motion shots. It was cheesy and upbeat in a way that I still enjoy, but Sorbo is a hateful rear end in a top hat.

I also liked him in Andromeda, despite that show's big issues. The number of my childhood heroes that turned out to be horrible human beings is depressingly high.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sanguinia posted:

I also liked him in Andromeda, despite that show's big issues. The number of my childhood heroes that turned out to be horrible human beings is depressingly high.

The number of people we each looked up to and respected who turned out to be horrible human beings is depressingly high.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hacksaw Ridge is about a Christian pacifist medic and it's one of the most hilariously over the top violent war films ever made.

That movie really feels like it was 2 different war movies shoved together at some point. Here is upstanding faith guy, who saves others with his belief and inner strength. Meanwhile, here is Buff Guy, who runs into combat holding a severed torso as a shield while hip firing at BAR.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Every adult has had that moment when we realize the people we respected were fallible and flawed and probably as uncertain as we were. There's that and then there's finding out that Grandpa/Uncle Bob/Pastor Smith is OK with kiddie concentration camps.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Kevin Sorbo is what happens to a lot of these TV stars when they don't really have a lot of work or a recurring gig after a while. They tend to gravitate to the one thing that will at least promise to pay out to even the lowest of d-z rank "celebrities", right wing poo poo.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Guess it’s not just his name then.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BarbarianElephant posted:

I remember seeing previews for a movie about a Roman centurion who is assigned to investigate what happened to Jesus' body after it "goes missing," post-Resurrection so the powers that be can prove to the people he hasn't risen. It looked really cool, like a historical period police thriller, but the loose canon cop's crisis of faith is, like, the grandaddy of all crises of faith. I never got to see it, I hope it was good, or at least not neonazi propaganda

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Does the Prince of Egypt count? It's one of my favorite movies, and a pretty well regarded animated film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I remember seeing previews for a movie about a Roman centurion who is assigned to investigate what happened to Jesus' body after it "goes missing," post-Resurrection so the powers that be can prove to the people he hasn't risen. It looked really cool, like a historical period police thriller, but the loose canon cop's crisis of faith is, like, the grandaddy of all crises of faith. I never got to see it, I hope it was good, or at least not neonazi propaganda

Risen at least has the guts to have Cliff Curtis, a non-white actor, to portray Jesus.

Looking at the Wikipedia article, Kevin Reynolds, the co-writer of Red Dawn and director of the Kevin Costner epics Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves and Waterworld, directed that.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Moses do the DreamWorks face?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Good christian movie: Bad Lieutenant. The 1992 film with Harvey Keitel.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Did I miss discussion on this? Because :tviv:
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1014378637561393154

quote:

As a meeting last August in the Oval Office to discuss sanctions on Venezuela was concluding, President Donald Trump turned to his top aides and asked an unsettling question: With a fast unraveling Venezuela threatening regional security, why can’t the U.S. just simply invade the troubled country?
Hopefully someone was present to chill him out!

quote:

In an exchange that lasted around five minutes, McMaster and others took turns explaining to Trump how military action could backfire and risk losing hard-won support among Latin American governments to punish President Nicolas Maduro for taking Venezuela down the path of dictatorship, according to the official. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the discussions.

But Trump pushed back. Although he gave no indication he was about to order up military plans, he pointed to what he considered past cases of successful gunboat diplomacy in the region, according to the official, like the invasions of Panama and Grenada in the 1980s.
So he's still dumb, but at least the message probably took?

quote:

But shortly afterward, he raised the issue with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, according to the U.S. official. Two high-ranking Colombian officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid antagonizing Trump confirmed the report.

Then in September, on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly, Trump discussed it again, this time at greater length, in a private dinner with leaders from four Latin American allies that included Santos, the same three people said and Politico reported in February.

The U.S. official said Trump was specifically briefed not to raise the issue and told it wouldn’t play well, but the first thing the president said at the dinner was, “My staff told me not to say this.” Trump then went around asking each leader if they were sure they didn’t want a military solution, according to the official, who added that each leader told Trump in clear terms they were sure.
:tif:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Paracaidas posted:

The U.S. official said Trump was specifically briefed not to raise the issue and told it wouldn’t play well, but the first thing the president said at the dinner was, “My staff told me not to say this.” Trump then went around asking each leader if they were sure they didn’t want a military solution, according to the official, who added that each leader told Trump in clear terms they were sure.

Trump is desperate to start a war. I'm honestly starting to wonder if he hosed up North Korea on purpose

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No he didn't. He's just that dumb

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paracaidas posted:

Did I miss discussion on this? Because :tviv:
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1014378637561393154

Hopefully someone was present to chill him out!

So he's still dumb, but at least the message probably took?

:tif:

What the gently caress?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Donnie thinks action movies and the vijagam Bannon plays is what war is really like.(Bannon has played Arma but only in his room because Donnie screams what the gently caress is this realistic boring poo poo where you die in one hit from bullshit)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Jesus Haploid Christ. Boy am I glad that I live in a state where weed is legal. My sanity would be crumbling way quicker than it actually is dealing with this nonsense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mustached Demon posted:

What the gently caress?

Venezuela has more oil in reserve than Saudi Arabia, and if you count their oil sands, it's enough to make every oilman in America spontaneously combust in a collective joygasm. Plus, it's got a secular population that throws literal poo poo at police, but aren't going to start strapping on suicide vests. The military is also effectively functioning at triage level, and unlike Iran, Venezuela doesn't have a couple hundred (conventional) SCUDs they'd fire at anyone/anything they could.

There's no way Venezuela *hasn't* been eyed by Trump's Gallery of Ghouls as an attractive alternative to the GOP's fever dream of a war with Iran.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Venezuela has more oil in reserve than Saudi Arabia, and if you count their oil sands, it's enough to make every oilman in America spontaneously combust in a collective joygasm. Plus, it's got a secular population that throws literal poo poo at police, but aren't going to start strapping on suicide vests. The military is also effectively functioning at triage level, and unlike Iran, Venezuela doesn't have a couple hundred (conventional) SCUDs they'd fire at anyone/anything they could.

There's no way Venezuela *hasn't* been eyed by Trump's Gallery of Ghouls as an attractive alternative to the GOP's fever dream of a war with Iran.

People said Call of Duty Ghosts' story of South America uniting to become a new super power and take over the United States was insanely stupid, but they never counted on a President as dumb as Donald Trump!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lmao they probably said this to trump, but it went in one ear and out the other. he just wanted to do it because he thinks it would be a cool big boy move to play world police. also killing brown people plays well at his rallies.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Google Butt posted:

Lmao they probably said this to trump, but it went in one ear and out the other. he just wanted to do it because he thinks it would be a cool big boy move to play world police. also killing brown people plays well at his rallies.

Mexico: bad
El Salvador: badder
So Venezuela must be the baddest.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mustached Demon posted:

Argentina must be Satan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lycus posted:

Argentina must be Satan.

Well, they are/were a Nazi haven...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

THE MORE SOUTH THE MORE BAD

(I want to live the timeline where all regressives volunteer to invade Antarctica and die*

• Locked thread