Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Had another Bowser Jr. stomp me 8 points in a row, I think I'm gonna start dodging him again.

Followed it up with a fun match against a Spike with four breaks of serve. Then I won three straight points in the tiebreak and they ragequit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I don't get rage quits in this. Doesn't it still count as a loss for them? I still get the points and win so I'm assuming it does.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've run into some people that just toss the ball over and over without ever serving instead of rage quitting. Which I guess is a valid strategy.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was getting stomped by a koopa trooper abusing the gently caress out if trickshots. I scored no points until he was serving his match point. I made a comeback and beat him 2-1. Suck it, trickshots. Those things are one of the least fun mechanics I've ever had to deal with in MP games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've run into some people that just toss the ball over and over without ever serving instead of rage quitting. Which I guess is a valid strategy.

The game eventually disconnects you after 30 seconds if you don't serve the ball.

Which I just had happen to me with another epic match. Held my serve relatively easily against a Boo, then Boo's service game was literally 20 points long with some of the rallies going to 40 shots, but they eventually held.

When it came to my next service game I held in 4 points and then Boo timed out on their serve :shrug:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just got the game and was going ask how to deal with people who are good at trick shots, but judging by the last page trick shots seem to be problem.

Also is there any way to practice returning zone shots and special shots nonstop? I can't get the timing down for either.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just got the game and was going ask how to deal with people who are good at trick shots, but judging by the last page trick shots seem to be problem.

Also is there any way to practice returning zone shots and special shots nonstop? I can't get the timing down for either.

Adventure mode is great for learning to play, and multiple levels involve returning zone and special shots, though not non-stop. Heavily advise playing through it.

Trick shots are currently OP, but switching up where you hit the ball and playing drop and lob shots can help negate people who trick shot too much.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I've been playing Simple mode and I keep getting wrecked by my own lob shots.

Whenever an opponent has to run back and break form to return a lob it sends another lob back to my half of the court, but no matter how long I charge any of my shots I always return a wimpy little tap shot that travels at like five miles an hour and gets slammed back into my face.

So what's the actual play I need to be doing here?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Drop shot?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I haven't been able to make that work. The return takes so long to reach me that the opponent has plenty of time to get back into position.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

I've been playing Simple mode and I keep getting wrecked by my own lob shots.

Whenever an opponent has to run back and break form to return a lob it sends another lob back to my half of the court, but no matter how long I charge any of my shots I always return a wimpy little tap shot that travels at like five miles an hour and gets slammed back into my face.

So what's the actual play I need to be doing here?

As in you have a star point appearing in your court? You're going to want to SMASH the gently caress out of it. Go back, position yourself well in the star and Flat Shot it (left button, purple trail). You'll generate a powerful overhand Smash that will fling the ball fast into the other side. Slicing or top-spinning will get you nothing special.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just had a long, back-and-forth championship match online that I eventually won out in. Games like that are so satisfying and why I'm digging Aces so much.

Daisy might be my new main??

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Just had a long, back-and-forth championship match online that I eventually won out in. Games like that are so satisfying and why I'm digging Aces so much.

Daisy might be my new main??

She has the best taunt for sure.

Peach's celebration is S-Tier though, especially when you spin in circles really fast every time you win a point.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Chain Chomp's celebration is amazing if you like spinning in circles, because it looks like he's chasing his tail.

Yoshi, meanwhile, goes just as fast when he celebrates as when he's playing, which is great in its own right.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

As in you have a star point appearing in your court? You're going to want to SMASH the gently caress out of it. Go back, position yourself well in the star and Flat Shot it (left button, purple trail). You'll generate a powerful overhand Smash that will fling the ball fast into the other side. Slicing or top-spinning will get you nothing special.

I think the situation he's describing doesn't result in a star landing marker, it's just a floaty ball with no spin trail

And like OP I have the same probalo. My dude is at the net and should be able to just smash those away Pete Sampras style but for some reason he taps it back like an idiot

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Homestar Runner posted:

I think the situation he's describing doesn't result in a star landing marker, it's just a floaty ball with no spin trail

And like OP I have the same probalo. My dude is at the net and should be able to just smash those away Pete Sampras style but for some reason he taps it back like an idiot

Could be that your character lets the ball get too low and has to just tap it over the net. I think the top spin hit (the fire one) works best on these balls.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is koopa troopas deal fast speed + obnoxious drop shot + full court trick shot coverage? Every troopa I play against is a trick shot machine.

Also circling back to a mysterious meter loss discussion from yesterday, against the trick shotting koopa my meter was around 75%, I didn't use any powers or trick shots, and when I tried to use zone speed a few rallies later I had just a sliver of meter. I don't understand how this game works. :saddowns:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh my God there is no greater feeling than 2-0'ing someone who only knows how to use trick shots. It's like they legit can't play once you keep lobbing on them

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Zelder posted:

Oh my God there is no greater feeling than 2-0'ing someone who only knows how to use trick shots. It's like they legit can't play once you keep lobbing on them

Lob to the corners seems to be the only way to beat them. The cone for backward trick shot doesn’t seem to reach for any character if they’re in the middle.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Homestar Runner posted:

Yeah, it's this. It's kind of frustrating!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I can't seem to beat Boo in the 'Detour' (300 volley) challenge. I can't seem to break 250, and it's infuriating :argh: I've been slicing it from the middle, but I just can't finish him off. Level 29 for gently caress's sake :saddowns:

I think I need I'm not timing his zone shots properly, and misunderstanding when they are coming directly at me, or off to a side. Also, are you supposed to let go of zone timing before you strike? I don't and I think that's where i'm messing up.

can't wait until Kamek :suicide:

edit: Um, wow. My very next play after posting this, I just won :tviv:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 4, 2018

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I've been playing Aces since launch and it's been a blast. I had a bunch of connection issues at first, but ever since the update last weekend I've been able to get some decent tourney matches with at least three bars. I mostly play on simple mode like a scrub.

I really like playing as Chain Chomp, so that's who I main. Today I ended up in a mirror match against someone who played a mean game. We ended up pretty evenly matched. Looked like we were going to go into a tiebreaker. At that point the other player just stopped playing. Even went out of their way to get body shot'd by my serves. Turns out the player was only ranked slightly below me, but it was a real drag to see them just forfeit a game. Didn't feel like I earned the win.

I've played less than 20 tourney games and this is the first time that's happened. I hope it doesn't become A Thing.

Does anyone know if there's any guides out there about the stats between each character? I know they all are different, but it'd be cool to know in what ways.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Stefan Prodan posted:

The problem is there are a lot of situations where you can position yourself such that like I dunno how but you can like be around the net and get both lobs and drop shots successfully by just holding back on the stick so there's like no way to actually get anything past them, or at least this is how it seemed to me against a couple people that pulled it off

One thing I will say that seems to work is like fully charged lob shots will get around them better, sometimes it's ok to use a little bit of meter to make sure you get a fully charged shot off so that you can regain control of the momentum of the match and make them have to hard read instead of getting set up for these kinds of guaranteed trick shots

If I could level a criticism about how this isn’t “realistic” enough is this. It doesn’t punish a player for hanging out in “no mans land” on a court. In real tennis you’re usually punished for playing in that area. You either want to be pretty tight at the net to volley with a tight angle and push your opponent wide or just win. Or you want to be baseline bombing returns and moving your opponent wide.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

soggybagel posted:

If I could level a criticism about how this isn’t “realistic” enough is this. It doesn’t punish a player for hanging out in “no mans land” on a court. In real tennis you’re usually punished for playing in that area. You either want to be pretty tight at the net to volley with a tight angle and push your opponent wide or just win. Or you want to be baseline bombing returns and moving your opponent wide.

For real. It bothers me so much how much no mans land play is rewarded, when in real life you’re gonna be so off form and disadvantaged sitting there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Really? I was going to mention that once I started moving out of no man's land, I started getting better results. I realized that I was losing the charge battle because I wasn't far back enough to consistently get max charge on a bunch of shots

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Finally beat single player (except loving kamek) and it was a lot of fun, with the end boss being much better thought out than a couple of the earlier ones

Even started winning some online games

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Really? I was going to mention that once I started moving out of no man's land, I started getting better results. I realized that I was losing the charge battle because I wasn't far back enough to consistently get max charge on a bunch of shots

I mean its better to not be there, but you can kind of play there if you're good about using the specials to get back or forward defensively. So you're actually being rewarded as you boost your meter with that play. I still like the ability to slow down time and rescue shots but its very very hard to lob someone if they know what they're doing in general.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

santanotreal posted:

Could be that your character lets the ball get too low and has to just tap it over the net. I think the top spin hit (the fire one) works best on these balls.

I'll try the top spin, but what I'm describing happens even when my guy catches the ball high on the volley

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Upon further research, Waluigi is also invited to eat my rear end

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kidcoelacanth posted:

Why are all Nintendo threads so horny?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm horny.... for vengeance.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

kidcoelacanth posted:

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm horny.... for vengeance.

https://twitter.com/g00dguy23/status/1015024591377317890

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

You're a monster

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

kidcoelacanth posted:

You're a monster

He's the People's Champion.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I finally had a nice Simple tournament, even though there were two Waluigi's in it, which I managed to beat nonetheless. I got to the final against a Mario, hosed up my first game, but I managed to win the second break point. And then I choked. I don't know why but I keep losing the control of the ball and then flat shots down the line invariably get me.

It's true Adventure mode prepares you for Standard. I think I've managed to better understand trick shotting, and it's absurd. I'm only on the Snow Orge (what's with that name?), and I keep losing time on the ice sections but I should beat it in a few other attempts. I think I'll try a standard tournament soon.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just got back from camping and played my first online tourney on simple and man it was me (Wario) vs Rosalina and some of the volleys we had were outstanding. I couldn’t even be mad at losing the last tiebreaker round.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I did some in-person doubles and it was a grand time.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Was struggling in the second game of the championship against a bowser. He lost connection suddenly, so thanks for the third tournament win. Sorry buddy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have to admit this game has raised in my esteem since my initial disappointment. It's still a bit steep for what it is at 60 euro, but it really does play so well. It's incredibly satisfying all told.

The big squid is proving a tad tough. I keep running out of time, despite not losing time on him, I don't quite know what I can be doing faster. I probably have to more successfully block his attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
gently caress trick shots.

I'm adding koopa troopa to my list to avoid. Every match against troopa he covers the court with trick shots. It's just as, if not more, annoying as Waluigi or BJr.