Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

No kids, just a household of two adults but we use our six Homes constantly. All lights, the garage, the Nest, the home theatre, the bedroom TV, and then music for any room (or all rooms) in the house... You get the idea.

Honestly if we just had Minis we probably wouldn't use them for music but the full sized Homes sound good enough to fill a small room or play podcasts.

I went into them skeptical but I couldn't live without them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

LastInLine posted:

Honestly if we just had Minis we probably wouldn't use them for music but the full sized Homes sound good enough to fill a small room or play podcasts.

This is actually really useful info, thanks

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 4, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hubis posted:

This is actually really useful info, thanka

We have 5 Homes and one Mini and the Mini is in a room that gets used seldomly but does get used. Had I been thinking, I'd have put it in the living room since that's the one place I'll never want to use the Home to play music, but it was the one we got last so that's how it ended up.

The mic on the Mini is just as good as the full sized Homes as far as I can tell, and the volume of the vocal replies is good enough but if you care about the music (and I'll say I found out that I did a whole lot more than I thought I would after I had them for a while), go for the full sized ones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zero VGS posted:

popularity = good? If you say so... I wasn't trying to battle anyone here, just giving my honest opinion. I find the smart speakers invasive and not worth the money/hassle but apparently families have a different use case than a sullen goon.

My home automation stuff is mostly relegated to handling poo poo when I'm gone (smart deadbolts, video doorbell, Nest in case I forget to turn off the A/C, leak detectors, so on); I'd rather not spend my free time conversing with robot girls or playing music out of tin can speakers. But sure, grab one and return if you don't like it, whatevs.

Actually, popularity = good is not the argument I made.

In the gooniest way, you decreed that it was a useless gimmick as if that was a self apparent law of the universe.

When others had just said they like it and find it useful, that struck me as a stupid and arrogant decree to make.

None of that has anything to do with popularity or it being good.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 4, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BTW, the minis are surprisingly fine for background music or podcasts in a small bedroom, but I have most of mine set up to automatically play audio or video on other speakers and tvs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone else use Homeseer rocker switches? I’m wondering if I can disable multi-press detection to make the switch more responsive to single presses (which is all I use).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

In the gooniest way, you decreed that it was a useless gimmick as if that was a self apparent law of the universe.

When others had just said they like it and find it useful, that struck me as a stupid and arrogant decree to make.

I hadn't read anyone else's replies when I made the comment about it being a dumb gimmick, I just refreshed the awful app on the train and saw the highlighted green response directly to me, and replied to it answering with my own genuinely held personal opinion. My arrogant response was in fact still uncolored by anyone else and based on my own personal experience with an Alexa in my apartment.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings with a contrary opinion, I don't care about smart speakers enough to die on this hill. I feel like that guy who leaves a bad review and ruins the new Batman's Rotten Tomatoes score and everyone is pissed enough to start doxxing my house or something. I'm glad everyone here finds them useful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings with a contrary opinion,

If anyones feelings were hurt over this I don't know what to say...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I just moved and I’m contemplating ditching SmartThings in favor of HomeAssistant. Anyone make that move and regret it? We had to leave all our switches, outlets, ecobee etc at the old house so I’m basically buying everything new. It will need to integrate with a half dozen echo dots, harmony hub, garage door, multi sensors, maybe a nest thermostat, light dimmers and fan controllers.

I’m also open to other options, I want something that will be easy for me and my wife to use but still be usable to people who don’t know the voice commands or have the app on their phone.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

I hadn't read anyone else's replies when I made the comment about it being a dumb gimmick
Super apparent.. we know. That's why your myopic (hot)take got called out.

Let's all be better posters. Topcality, you see...!

I'd say the Minis sound a smidge better than an Echo Dot, but I agree with Thermoplye that most any non-flagship model speaker should be piped through a better sound system, AVR, etc.

(Yes, hot take is a disparaging statement.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

I just moved and I’m contemplating ditching SmartThings in favor of HomeAssistant. Anyone make that move and regret it? We had to leave all our switches, outlets, ecobee etc at the old house so I’m basically buying everything new. It will need to integrate with a half dozen echo dots, harmony hub, garage door, multi sensors, maybe a nest thermostat, light dimmers and fan controllers.

I’m also open to other options, I want something that will be easy for me and my wife to use but still be usable to people who don’t know the voice commands or have the app on their phone.

The thing that SmartThings has going for it is that it's a very good zigbee/zwave hub. With home assistant you have to hope you can configure a zwave/zigbee radio to work with your PC or whatever you're running HA on.

A possible middle ground is to use your smartthings hub as basically a zigbee/zwave dongle. You set up the smartthings-mqtt-bridge which forwards events from your devices to your HA install and forwards commands from your HA install through ST to your devices. It works fine (unless you're using the SmartThings Shield TV dongle...the Shield 7.0 upddate broke the ability of the dongle to communicate with HA).

I've been using the hybrid approach for several weeks and it works well as long as you're nerdy enough to get it set up. But if you're nerdy enough to set up HA, you should be fine.

Unfortunately, I've been using the Shield TV ST dongle which is the one that no longer works with the HA bridge, so now I've got a zwave USB stick on the way and I'm hoping it's not a horrible headache to get working with HA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The thing that will probably make me get an Echo finally is TiVo integration. Even with the ap on my phone and the iPad whose home is theoretically next to the TV chair, I find myself remoteless fairly often.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

so now I've got a zwave USB stick on the way and I'm hoping it's not a horrible headache to get working with HA.

Other than making sure you have the right ID specified for your USB stick, it’s pretty straightforward (if you’re used to HA.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rick posted:

The thing that will probably make me get an Echo finally is TiVo integration. Even with the ap on my phone and the iPad whose home is theoretically next to the TV chair, I find myself remoteless fairly often.
Alexa, watch NBC.

“OK tuning to NBC on tiVOH”.

*goes back to using Harmony Hub activity*

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kalman posted:

Other than making sure you have the right ID specified for your USB stick, it’s pretty straightforward (if you’re used to HA.)

That's good to hear. Though, I have the additional wrinkle where I'm running HA in a Docker container, and I've never tried passing a USB device into a container before. The bit I've read says it should work, so here's hoping...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rick posted:

Voice controls for television, particularly shuttle and volume, is not a pleasant experience. I use Google Assistant to control Harmony and while selecting a source or even starting playback of something is fine, beyond that (and maybe pause and resume), you find yourself needing the remote enough that it just isn't worth the hassle. YMMV, of course.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LastInLine posted:

Voice controls for television, particularly shuttle and volume, is not a pleasant experience. I use Google Assistant to control Harmony and while selecting a source or even starting playback of something is fine, beyond that (and maybe pause and resume), you find yourself needing the remote enough that it just isn't worth the hassle. YMMV, of course.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Alexa, watch NBC.

“OK tuning to NBC on tiVOH”.

*goes back to using Harmony Hub activity*

That bad, huh? I don't think I'll use it for anything but pause but if that's just a maybe at best, maybe I won't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rick posted:

That bad, huh? I don't think I'll use it for anything but pause but if that's just a maybe at best, maybe I won't.

I don't know if Alexa has native integration with Harmony but Google Assistant doesn't so complicating the matters is having to build IFTTT recipes to do things (which broke with Harmony around Christmas last year requiring me to use Stringify to get IFTTT to work) so it's kind of clunky in that you have to make your trigger phrases ahead of time.

Even with native support though it just wouldn't be that wonderful. It's great for stuff like turning everything on which takes time with a Harmony anyway, you can do it in the kitchen while you're preparing your snack and when you sit down it's ready to go. It's great for turning everything off when you're done. Everything in between is better just using the remote.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if Alexa has native integration with Harmony but Google Assistant doesn't so complicating the matters is having to build IFTTT recipes to do things (which broke with Harmony around Christmas last year requiring me to use Stringify to get IFTTT to work) so it's kind of clunky in that you have to make your trigger phrases ahead of time.

Even with native support though it just wouldn't be that wonderful. It's great for stuff like turning everything on which takes time with a Harmony anyway, you can do it in the kitchen while you're preparing your snack and when you sit down it's ready to go. It's great for turning everything off when you're done. Everything in between is better just using the remote.

Yes Alexa does have native support for Harmony. I can say stuff like "Turn on BBC 1" to Alexa and the harmony will activate the appropriate activity, and then enter the correct channel number automatically. This is through the Harmony Favourites.

Turn on/off works perfectly for all activities, Play/Pause works 90% of the time. There's also a secondary harmony skill which lets you specify commands directly but the voice syntax is a bit more clunky "Alexa, tell harmony to [exit]" for example.

I have both skills active as it lets me use the standard commands with the simple voice interface and the more esoteric commands using the longer syntax.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rick posted:

I’ve read that there is a thing for Alexa called “brief mode” (that some people saw pop up in March) that replaces most voice responses with just a beep, but I don’t see the correct option for that in my Alexa app.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Google assistant has native support for harmony. You just say, "ok google, ask harmony to [tv related task]". You could also set up shortcuts in the home app so you can leave out the "ask harmony" part.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-google-assistant

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

McPhearson posted:

Google assistant has native support for harmony. You just say, "ok google, ask harmony to [tv related task]". You could also set up shortcuts in the home app so you can leave out the "ask harmony" part.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-google-assistant

That isn't what I meant by "native support". When you have to ask [x] to do [y], that's called an "Assistant App". That's not native. Native is what you get when you deal with Home Control devices, like your Nest or your Hue bulbs. You can just ask Google to "set the Nest to 69 degrees" or "turn on the living room".

Harmony is supposed to eventually make it into that latter group where you can just ask Google to "Turn on the living room TV" and it will, no asking Harmony to do it. Now you can automate this away by creating IFTTT phrases but that's not the same as natural language.

I'd say if it's going to happen it's a long way off because it's not like there's even a category for such home controls yet but I've read that they intend to get it there. Hearing how it's done on the Alexa side with some commands being native and some being delegated the way Assistant Apps work make me think Google's aiming for about the same functionality which will be better than it is while still being too awkward to use regularly.

I do love voice assistants a lot but voice control watching things is very much a square peg in a round hole as it stands today.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LastInLine posted:

Harmony is supposed to eventually make it into that latter group where you can just ask Google to "Turn on the living room TV" and it will, no asking Harmony to do it.
For info, you can do this with Echos now if you go into the Harmony app and set up an activity /scene /whatever they call it

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

LastInLine posted:

Harmony is supposed to eventually make it into that latter group where you can just ask Google to "Turn on the living room TV" and it will, no asking Harmony to do it. Now you can automate this away by creating IFTTT phrases but that's not the same as natural language.

I'd say if it's going to happen it's a long way off because it's not like there's even a category for such home controls yet but I've read that they intend to get it there. Hearing how it's done on the Alexa side with some commands being native and some being delegated the way Assistant Apps work make me think Google's aiming for about the same functionality which will be better than it is while still being too awkward to use regularly.

I do love voice assistants a lot but voice control watching things is very much a square peg in a round hole as it stands today.

Yeah they were meant to be (or at least heavily implied they would be) rolling that out in May. No updates since then.
https://www.blog.google/products/assistant/turning-your-house-smart-home-google-assistant/

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve read that there is a thing for Alexa called “brief mode” (that some people saw pop up in March) that replaces most voice responses with just a beep, but I don’t see the correct option for that in my Alexa app.

For me after I told it to do something a few weeks back Alexa just randomly asked if I wanted to enable that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I just created HomeAssistant switches for my Harmony activities and then use my Google Home to turn on/off the associated activities without needing a “ask harmony.” Could map the volume to a HA light and use brightness to control volume and on/off for mute if you want voice control of volume.

I will say that the ability to voice control shuttle via things like “skip ahead 15 minutes” or “skip to 1 hour” is actually really nice in apps that support it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

LastInLine posted:

That isn't what I meant by "native support". When you have to ask [x] to do [y], that's called an "Assistant App". That's not native. Native is what you get when you deal with Home Control devices, like your Nest or your Hue bulbs. You can just ask Google to "set the Nest to 69 degrees" or "turn on the living room".

I understand now. Although you don't need to get IFTTT involved at all to get rid of the "ask harmony to..." part, in the Google Home app you can set up shortcuts so when you say "turn on the TV" it adds "ask harmony" behind the scenes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McPhearson posted:

I understand now. Although you don't need to get IFTTT involved at all to get rid of the "ask harmony to..." part, in the Google Home app you can set up shortcuts so when you say "turn on the TV" it adds "ask harmony" behind the scenes.

Do you have to add a different shortcut for each Harmony activity, or do you add the Harmony command all at once?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have to add a different shortcut for each Harmony activity, or do you add the Harmony command all at once?

Each activity :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

McPhearson posted:

Yeah I set all this up before the Routines rollout and while I'd love to simplify I'm not going to do it if native support is coming. Plus Routines have the same problem IFTTT faces which is having to use an exact trigger phrase.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For info, you can do this with Echos now if you go into the Harmony app and set up an activity /scene /whatever they call it

You don't need to set up Routines for this. The Harmony skill already allows you to say "Turn on TV", or "Turn on Shield" without any extra config.

This is the new version of the Harmony skill which was enabled about 6 months ago in the UK.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah I was only thinking about how I do things. My “Watch TV” activity actually turns on the TV, TiVo, and receiver, and sets all the inputs.

Ledif
Sep 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

That's good to hear. Though, I have the additional wrinkle where I'm running HA in a Docker container, and I've never tried passing a USB device into a container before. The bit I've read says it should work, so here's hoping...

I'm running Home Assistant in a Docker container as well and all I had to do was add

code:
devices:
      - /dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyACM0
To my compose file (under the home assistant portion) in order to use my zwave dongle. If you're running the container on windows I'm sure it'll look a bit different but it shouldn't be too tricky.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Oh nice thanks for the input. My Zstick just got delivered today. Maybe I'll have time to set it up this weekend.

Anyone know what I have to do since all my zwave devices are already paired with my smartthings hub?

Also can anyone recommend a zigbee usb device?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ElCondemn posted:

As was said--SmartThings works great as the main zwave hub. I have a Raspberry Pi HA setup that controls both a SmartThings and Wink hub. Getting the MQTT messaging working and the smartthings-mqtt-bridge running is a bit of a chore--but reliable once it's running. Scripting and automations in Home Assistant along with HA's highly configurable web interface have made it my favorite controller for smart homes albeit with a learning curve.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

HycoCam posted:

As was said--SmartThings works great as the main zwave hub. I have a Raspberry Pi HA setup that controls both a SmartThings and Wink hub. Getting the MQTT messaging working and the smartthings-mqtt-bridge running is a bit of a chore--but reliable once it's running. Scripting and automations in Home Assistant along with HA's highly configurable web interface have made it my favorite controller for smart homes albeit with a learning curve.

Does using the ST hub in this way still require the ST cloud to send commands, or is it all processed locally?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Oh nice thanks for the input. My Zstick just got delivered today. Maybe I'll have time to set it up this weekend.

Anyone know what I have to do since all my zwave devices are already paired with my smartthings hub?

Also can anyone recommend a zigbee usb device?

The most reliable way to do it is to unpair every device from Smartthings and then add it to HA.

Also, when you’re adding to HA you should preferably be adding using the HA Zwave control panel with the stick plugged in, not by using the button on the stick and walking around. (The latter can work but is less reliable.)

That may require you to move your HA system around unless it’s ZWP devices or everything is direct hop to the stick, though.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

bobfather posted:

Does using the ST hub in this way still require the ST cloud to send commands, or is it all processed locally?

It sends MQTT messages locally - you install a smartapp to do so and give it the IP address of the MQTT bridge (and annoyingly can't give it a dns name). Although I could easily see the hub throwing its hands up and just not doing anything if the internet is down, though. I haven't had an internet outage since switching to this method to know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does Echo connection still go through the cloud, or is that local too?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Does Echo connection still go through the cloud, or is that local too?

There are a few ways to get Alexa to work with Home Assistant. Home Assistant has an emulated Hue Bridge, which works on the local network. My understanding is that if you have multiple Echos, one will be chosen as the permanent point of contact for the emulated Hue Bridge, but your voice still has to be sent out to Amazon to be processed, and I'm betting communication between Echo devices happens over the internet. It would most assuredly not work if the Alexa service is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a way to have a regular (dumb) switch along with a smart switch in a 3-way setup? Or do both switches have to be smart switches?

I watched some videos and they mention "add-on switch" but I don't know what that is.