Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not the worst, but I can't stand Besides You In Time. The first half of the song has the guitar riff played backwards and it just fucks with my ears. It's sometimes painful for me to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Please and No You Don't are probably the tracks I don't dig, going back in and taking a look. Filthylittlewornoutbrokendownseethroughsooouull.

Mierenneuker posted:

I kind of like it, but I heard the Things Falling Apart version a dozen times (back in the Napster era) before I listened to The Fragile. It took some getting used to the original, I can tell you that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYKid2z0Kk

I remember picking up Things Falling Apart and being so stoked that there were so many remixes of Starfuckers. I was such a dumb teenager.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Donovan Trip posted:

The mix is garbage. I'm tired of the sound of Reznor/Atticus mixes in general but it's hyper bad on poo poo mirror. Still like the song.

Anyone else have this complaint? Their mixes have gotten so muddy, feel like they need some fresh input from someone else.
Yeah, I'd probably like poo poo Mirror more if the mix wasn't atrocious.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sir Lemming posted:

"Starfuckers" definitely holds a special place as the NIN song I least look forward to in any given setting. The others I mentioned are more pointless, but SF is so blatantly out of place on its album, and occupies three tracks of the remix album. It's the song he desperately wants to work, but doesn't. It's the song that just won't go away or be ignored. I don't feel like it's objectively totally bad, as I can pick out things here and there that are kind of good about it, yet you can definitely still make a case that it's the worst NIN song all the same.

Also worth noting is its official halo debut, on the single for "The Day the World Went Away." I mean look at this track list:

Halo 13 posted:

1. "The Day The World Went Away (Single Version)" - 4:03
2. :byodood: "Starfuckers, Inc." - 5:24 :byodood:
3. "The Day The World Went Away" (Quiet) - 6:20

All these years later and I still have to reconcile the fact that my favorite NIN album literally has a diss track on it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Please ... I don't dig.

You take that back right now. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Minidust posted:

All these years later and I still have to reconcile the fact that my favorite NIN album literally has a diss track on it.

Every NIN album has diss tracks, it's just that usually the person he's dissing is some rando ex-friend or ex-girlfriend :v:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Starfuckers is hilarious. I love that song. Out of place sure. Thematically it reminds me of Encephalon's last album if anyone keeps up with industrial.

Hand That Feeds is still the worst NIN song.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 5, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The worst nin song is literally all of them and none of them at the same time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hand that Feeds is dope

edit: hahaha "Starfuckers was nominated for Best Metal Performance at the 2000 Grammies, and lost to "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath"

ahahahahahahahahaha

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Yeah, nin is inexplicably marketed as 'metal' in Europe and perhaps because of that they've gotten a few best metal performance grammy nominations and won two of them, both for songs off of broken interestingly enough - the studio version of wish and then the woodstock '94 performance of happiness in slavery a few years later. Nevermind that the metal marketing is done in the Eu and the grammies are a US thing. :colbert:

Also Starfuckers is a fun song.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I like Starfuckers

I wish it wasn't on the Fragile though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Starfuckers would've fit really well on Year Zero I think. It's media satire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F89zmxC2yIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsRt_1l740

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Starfuckers would be a top ten NIN song if it wasn’t for that loving chorus.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If NIN is your favorite band, your favorite band sucks.

https://www.yfbspod.com/nine-inch-nails-sucks

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah it seems more like a concept album that you listen to in whole once or twice (and then a couple years later when you remember it and are in the mood) than Add Violence where a couple of standalone songs are still in my big shuffle rotation.

I paid for it anyway and didn't realize I'd be receiving the vinyl, so since I know almost nothing about vinyls and don't have a record player I came in here to ask about the texture I'm seeing on the B-side label, which resembles a track:

Is this possible, or is it just an aesthetic choice? I assume paper is not playable but I thought I would ask if anyone has tried it

This is entirely normal and is how a bunch of labels look.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The worst song is Closer... I don't know what they were thinking

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

obeyasia posted:

If NIN is your favorite band, your favorite band sucks.

https://www.yfbspod.com/nine-inch-nails-sucks

Clicked this in my Google feed, saw it wasn't SA, closed

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Misheard NIN lyrics:
I heard "Vacation, feels just fine." on the first coupl listens to poo poo Mirror.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Skails posted:

Misheard NIN lyrics:
I heard "Vacation, feels just fine." on the first coupl listens to poo poo Mirror.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Molestationary Store posted:

Yeah, nin is inexplicably marketed as 'metal' in Europe and perhaps because of that they've gotten a few best metal performance grammy nominations and won two of them, both for songs off of broken interestingly enough - the studio version of wish and then the woodstock '94 performance of happiness in slavery a few years later. Nevermind that the metal marketing is done in the Eu and the grammies are a US thing. :colbert:

Also Starfuckers is a fun song.

The live cut on And All That Could Have Been makes it so much better - removing the stuttering/clipped verse makes it way more bearable. It's basically the first pass at a big studio anthem like The Hand That Feeds and it's fit for purpose :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ik7nSc7w4A

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I, Butthole posted:

The live cut on And All That Could Have Been makes it so much better - removing the stuttering/clipped verse makes it way more bearable. It's basically the first pass at a big studio anthem like The Hand That Feeds and it's fit for purpose :v:

I want And All That Could Have Been on Blu-ray so badly.

I also want it to not make me do stupid stuff for the hidden songs and just let me choose them from a menu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Starfuckers would've fit really well on Year Zero I think. It's media satire.

it's the second best diss track about Courtney Love (the best one is still "Alone + Easy Target"

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Big Black Delta only toured with NIN once; so I know this is only very tangentially the place to ask, but has anyone else noticed a significant difference of Dreary Moon from Big Black Delta vinyl versus the online/itunes version? I never saw any listed reason for the 3rd half of the song to be shortened and/or weird. Am I the only one who noticed this? I know there's various cuts of other titles from the same artist with other random weirdness but I was under the impression that this track was one version only. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea0MOWQm8Cw Jonathan, I know you're a goon. Could you shed any light? edit: lol 3rd half. ok 3rd 3rd

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 6, 2018

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Whoa wait I just realised "poo poo mirror" was a real song title. I apologize to anyone I said was full of obvious poo poo.

Nothing quite like the feel of something new

edit: oh yeah by the way Hesitation Marks came out five years ago if you didn't already feel old enough. I do.
edit 2: do you think lazarus reznor will be the next jaden smith? or something else?
edit 3: Some may do what they always do and bitch about it.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 6, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I, Butthole posted:

This is the best version because it's played fast, so it ends sooner :v:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Trent Reznor Reacts to Accusations that he Assaulted Woman https://www.alternativenation.net/nine-inch-nails-singer-trent-reznor-reacts-fan-saying-attacked-women/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man that's a misleading headline in this day and age, which you somehow made more misleading

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Christ alive that's some pathetic clickbait.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

lol this is modern day journalism

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I didn't think that "Trent vs. Taylor Swift" thing could get any stupider, but they found a way.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
“I saw someone ask, ‘Why are you attacking women?’ I thought, ‘What the gently caress are you talking about?’”
-TR

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

PoopinClumpin posted:

edit: oh yeah by the way Hesitation Marks came out five years ago if you didn't already feel old enough. I do.

Excuse me? what the gently caress? I thought it was like.. last year oh god

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
trent reznor is older than my wife's dad

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Emptyquote this if you still bump Hesitation Marks all the way through on the reg

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have a 10 hour flight next month and I'm considering eating a bunch of weed and listening to all 38 Ghosts tracks straight through

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In the past month I’ve bought a lot of NIN and would like to say: They’re p. good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

egon_beeblebrox posted:

In the past month I’ve bought a lot of NIN and would like to say: They’re p. good.
Your next project should be getting into How To Destroy Angels :getin:

They don't have a lot of material, but still. It's Trent and Atticus + Trent's wife on vocals + Rob Sheridan (NIN's old art director).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GqVFa5GBA

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I have a 10 hour flight next month and I'm considering eating a bunch of weed and listening to all 38 Ghosts tracks straight through

Godspeed

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I recently uncovered the secret message Trent hid in Closer 24 years ago: he wants to gently caress an owl. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r_tFoDfJWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Emptyquote this if you still bump Hesitation Marks all the way through on the reg