Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel strongly that games where you can do stuff like swap bodies should not have a fine-grained bean-county realistic system that tries to measure the precise biological differences between a bunch of alien species and make distinctions between different types of handgun.

Yes, this is one of the big problems with EP 1e - it makes actually resleeving a huge pain.

LatwPIAT posted:

It's a clunky system with a combat action economy that makes Shadowrun look restrained in comparison, and it's a system full of traps where you can end up putting valuable character generation points in perishable categories like morphs or gear, losing you up to a fifth of your build points. As a system it insists on making you count out your purchases down to the individual credit, yet at the same time makes money near-obsolete through the presence of near-ubiquitous (or at least player-accessible) nanomanufacturing, so half the time it's all for nought.

And did I mention it was clunky? Roll-six-to-eight-times-each-combat-round-clunky? Overwrought-hacking-system-that-makes-non-hackers-twiddle-their-thumbs-clunky? Recalculating-derived-stats-several-times-per-session-probably-clunky?

It's definitely extremely clunky. I'm not saying it's a good system but it's an okay one, unlike Shadowrun. :v:

Incidentally there's a pretty easy fix to the "perishables" issue (points spent on morphs are spent instead on the morph pool and gear is treated as an intrinsic part of a character which can't be taken away permanently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

remusclaw posted:

Discussion attempt!

Here's an RPG thing I find kind of strange. Alternative resource systems as opposed to straight up giving characters money and equipment lists with costs.

Here is my premise: Shopping is fun, and people already know how to do it, so it is quite literally one of the few things you don't need to teach new people coming into a game. It is also one of the few things that can be be done in a relatively simulationist manner where the simulation is very close to the actual experience. Alternative systems actually complicate rather than simplify the process.

Tracking individual units of currency (at least in a system where money actually means something for character advancement) is a gigantic pain in the rear end, because it means that as a GM you have to track all the inflows and outflows to keep the players "on budget" for their level.

It sucks, I hate it, alternate resource systems like Fragged Empires's or even relatively primitive ones like Resources dots in the Chronicles of Darkness are vastly superior for the simple reason that they don't require me to be an accountant on top of an encounter designer and improv theater director.

And you still get to shop! In FE's case you even still have to budget, it's just that your budget determines "how much good stuff can I have at one time and maintain in working condition" instead of "well if I sell this old poo poo for 1/2 normal cost will I have enough coins to upgrade to..." etc.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 3, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
As an actual accountant, I have but one thing to say.

gently caress that.

That is all.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

remusclaw posted:

Discussion attempt!

Here's an RPG thing I find kind of strange. Alternative resource systems as opposed to straight up giving characters money and equipment lists with costs.

Here is my premise: Shopping is fun, and people already know how to do it, so it is quite literally one of the few things you don't need to teach new people coming into a game. It is also one of the few things that can be be done in a relatively simulationist manner where the simulation is very close to the actual experience. Alternative systems actually complicate rather than simplify the process.

I really like the way the new Delta Green handles money/equipment.

Basic equipment is pretty simple - you're assumed to have the standard tools that you would need as part of your profession.

If you need anything beyond that - such as specialized tools for your profession or bigger guns additional equipment - it will have an expense category associated with it (using simple descriptors like Incidental, Standard, Unusual, Major, or Extreme). To get more equipment, you have a few options:
  • You can officially requisition it as part of your mission - which can be modified by skills like Bureaucracy and Military Science - which could leave an undesirable paper trail.
  • You could call in a favor from a well-connected Bond, but you run the risk of deteriorating that Bond and you might not get the item.
  • You could even spend your own money, but this is going to cause all of your non-Delta Green bonds to rot as a consequence of racking up the debts needed to pay for these items.

The GM can also grant the party equipment that DG thinks the party will need during the course of their mission (which, depending on how well DG understands the mission, may or may not be of use).

Basically though, if you want to acquire more gear - you better have the skills needed to manipulate the bureaucracy, smooth-talk your friends, or balance your books well enough to avoid pissing off the people you need most when poo poo goes sideways. And in Delta Green, poo poo usually goes in all different directions.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I bought that Colonial Gothic bundle of holding cause it was actually a good deal, anyone have any thoughts on this line?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Are there any good reviews of Battle Century G I should read?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

S.J. posted:

Are there any good reviews of Battle Century G I should read?

I mean, I can give my opinion from running a goon game that imploded because of...well, me actually. At least, I think so. It's been a while. I forgot what killed it. Player drop-outs, maybe?

The combat system is the main draw. My players loved the combat and so did I. I was a little slow at first with it, but the first expansion has a bunch of example monsters that are fun to run, good challenges, and cut down on prep by a lot. We had a ton of fun playing it. To explain, the combat is very tactical but simple to understand. There are few modifiers and junk to remember, but placement, range, and positioning are key. So, in the end, everyone ends up with a lot of really cool and calculated moves all going off at once while I have fun fighting them with some really awesome and clever monster that spoil some of their strategies.

If you want tactical, it's great.

Out of combat, it's serviceable. The draw is the combat. Out of combat, it's basically like D&D where you mostly do one-off with some hand-wavey stuff. It works just fine, it's clearly not the main draw, and it's not a detriment to the overall designer intended experience.

Also, the fact that I was doing alien monsters invading and attacking mech pilots let to some fun weirdness. Biological monsters never lose access to their systems, but do halve their modifiers to those systems when stressed. So it lead to an interest mismatch.

Quick warning, out of mech combat is super one-sided and your players will struggle. Learned that the hard way. But it can be fun to do "run away" events where a mech attacks them when their away from base in their civvess and they have to run away and hide on map until they can get to base and suit up. Of course, you can only do that once per campaign before it gets boring.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 4, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

remusclaw posted:

I find myself falling back to my statement regarding shopping being fun. It is absolutely a feel thing, but the satisfaction of buying the thing you want in a game can sometimes actually approach tha satisfaction of doing so in real life, with all the same general issues therein where once purchased the item loses all it's luster and a new goal appears.This is a feature I am not sure can be replicated in a resources system, though I am not sure it is necessarily one that is worth the trade-offs?

I mean absolutely, looking for and buying things is something many people enjoy but its also gotta be a key part of how your system works if you're including it. Take the FFG WH40k Rogue Trader rpg. A game that is ultimately all about getting yourself blinged out. Problem is the core premise of the game is you start rocking in a huge km long space with a legion of troops, support vehicles, aircraft and equipment so it makes it pretty irrelevant to go out and buy a gun or figure out how much money you have. So a traditional money and shopping system doesn't really work for that kind of game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I keep coming back to my idea for a cyberpunk RPG where there are no attributes or skills or the like, chargen is entirely based on purchasing gear from a shopping list.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
isn't that what a point buy system is

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

Eeeh...

It's a clunky system with a combat action economy that makes Shadowrun look restrained in comparison, and it's a system full of traps where you can end up putting valuable character generation points in perishable categories like morphs or gear, losing you up to a fifth of your build points. As a system it insists on making you count out your purchases down to the individual credit, yet at the same time makes money near-obsolete through the presence of near-ubiquitous (or at least player-accessible) nanomanufacturing, so half the time it's all for nought.

And did I mention it was clunky? Roll-six-to-eight-times-each-combat-round-clunky? Overwrought-hacking-system-that-makes-non-hackers-twiddle-their-thumbs-clunky? Recalculating-derived-stats-several-times-per-session-probably-clunky?

Luckily 2e fixes a lot of those problems. The most extra actions a character can get is one per round, and it requires spending a limited morph-related resource, which most morphs have something like 1-4 of until they take a long rest. Morphs, augments, and gear are all purchased at character creation with Morph Points, completely separate from ego's CP. No longer are credits individually counted, there's an abstracted resources system that meshes pretty alright with the way favors and rep work. And there's vastly less recalculating of stats when you change morphs, since all that changes is your health stats and the morph-resource pool values.

Life-path character creation is also the default, so it doesn't take nearly as long to whip up a character.

Hacking looks a little better but I haven't playtested it yet, and combat mechanics are virtually the same besides the lack of extra actions. Also, psi is much more interesting. Still a crunch-heavy system, but not painfully so anymore.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xiw posted:

Mongoose traveller is just fine if you want retro engineering sf with trading and lifepaths and you can use the excellent online traveller galaxy map I can't link on the bus.

Traveller has a great setting that's been in development since about 1980. The map site is:

https://travellermap.com/

Just zooooooom in.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

I mean, I can give my opinion from running a goon game that imploded because of...well, me actually. At least, I think so. It's been a while. I forgot what killed it. Player drop-outs, maybe?

The combat system is the main draw. My players loved the combat and so did I. I was a little slow at first with it, but the first expansion has a bunch of example monsters that are fun to run, good challenges, and cut down on prep by a lot. We had a ton of fun playing it. To explain, the combat is very tactical but simple to understand. There are few modifiers and junk to remember, but placement, range, and positioning are key. So, in the end, everyone ends up with a lot of really cool and calculated moves all going off at once while I have fun fighting them with some really awesome and clever monster that spoil some of their strategies.

If you want tactical, it's great.

Out of combat, it's serviceable. The draw is the combat. Out of combat, it's basically like D&D where you mostly do one-off with some hand-wavey stuff. It works just fine, it's clearly not the main draw, and it's not a detriment to the overall designer intended experience.

Also, the fact that I was doing alien monsters invading and attacking mech pilots let to some fun weirdness. Biological monsters never lose access to their systems, but do halve their modifiers to those systems when stressed. So it lead to an interest mismatch.

Quick warning, out of mech combat is super one-sided and your players will struggle. Learned that the hard way. But it can be fun to do "run away" events where a mech attacks them when their away from base in their civvess and they have to run away and hide on map until they can get to base and suit up. Of course, you can only do that once per campaign before it gets boring.

Yeah, the out-of-mech stuff is called 'intermission' for a reason. While the game has combat rules for pilots, you shouldn't overuse them; the pilot scenes are more for generating special ability resource points through RP and problem solving. The tactical elements are great. Different kinds of mechs feel and play differently, and are easy for players to experiment with. It's has pretty solid advice for how to construct encounters, though I fudged the numbers a bit because the numbers given kinda expect you to be playing the enemy about as competently as your players are engaging you, and I prefer when players are able to exploit weak enemy tactics. My only major complaint is that I found players were kinda hitting the extent of their character/mecha concept by about 2/3rd through a standard 'season' length campaign, and didn't have a great idea of what to do with their points after than except pump stats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

remusclaw posted:

I find myself falling back to my statement regarding shopping being fun. It is absolutely a feel thing, but the satisfaction of buying the thing you want in a game can sometimes actually approach tha satisfaction of doing so in real life, with all the same general issues therein where once purchased the item loses all it's luster and a new goal appears.This is a feature I am not sure can be replicated in a resources system, though I am not sure it is necessarily one that is worth the trade-offs?
What makes saving up fun is the sense of progression and anticipation followed by a rewarding sense of achievement, same as why people like XP. WoW has weaponised this, in that you're always just one step away from sufficiently filling some form of progress bar to hit the next reward threshold, with the game constantly cycling you though different currencies (which doesn't just mean money, things like XP are also currencies). People don't care about what they have gotten as much as what they're getting next.

Buying poo poo with money is a quick and easy progress bar reward to add to a game, but adding it badly leads to dumb behaviour down the line. I've rambled on about the marginal utility of money and how RPGs don't really model it before, with the short version being that if you're going the individual gold pieces counting route you need to implement a mechanic analogous to some form of progressive tax system + living expenses or you end up with money just breeding more money (which is the lesson Monopoly is supposed to teach us about the importance of land taxes). Money breeding more money isn't the end of the world but increasingly larger amounts of money require increasingly more expensive things to save for it, or else it ultimately becomes meaningless, and therefore worthless and therefore unfun. Which is again fine as long as you introduce new progress bars to supplant the old ones by adding different higher tiered currencies.

WoW does all of these, via repair and auction house costs that scale with earning power, by constantly switching what tokens you need for each zone, and via increasingly expensive one time purchases. Most of this doesn't translate well to tabletop because Alcoves & Accountants is considerably more time consuming when you're tracking it all by hand. It should be theoretically possible to make an RPG money system with the same progress bar behaviour as counting your golds to buy a sword without it actually being counting your golds to buy a sword, preserving the Skinner box benefits without the inherent in-play downsides.

Does intentionally and expressly including such hooks enhance or detract from the RPG experience? Is the "fun" delivered by exploiting our brains' buggier design flaws meaningfully different from the "fun" delivered by the aspects we "deliberately" engage with? Discuss.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 4, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I think I come at RPG gaming from something of an old school focus, if only because my entry into such gaming was with Palladium Ninja Turtles and 2nd edition AD&D, so the assumptions of that sort of gaming do effect how I feel gaming is supposed to be. A lot of that is very grindy and without examining that, I just kind of looked at what I enjoyed about that sort of gaming and tried to express what it is that makes it appeal to me as opposed to more refined systems.

Thinking about it for more than a moment, especially with the issues laid bare in front of me like this, I am reminded of why I burned out on that sort of game in the first place; the grind, and the book keeping that it entails in tabletop. You can make it work, but it is exactly that, work, and whatever fun is made doing that work might not match up with the fun that can be had when that work is handled by a more agreeable subsystem that frees up time and effort for more interesting things.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 4, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Money breeding more money isn't the end of the world
I should emphasise that I mean this in the context of RPG systems. In real life it's looking ever more likely that money breeding more money will be the end of the world.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
How would BCG play with everyone piloting kind of similar robots with minor variations, like an 08th MS Team or a Macross situation?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

How would BCG play with everyone piloting kind of similar robots with minor variations, like an 08th MS Team or a Macross situation?

It can run that. In that case I'd probs use the Frames rule to let different players take different loadouts and special abilities for their mechs, on top of a basic, balanced package.

e: When i wanted to run a more serious gundam game, though, I just told all the players to make their mechs feel military hardware-y. Like give it a model number, MAT-M2 Catapult, that sort of thing, and specifically define your weapons as something that sounds realistic in a sci-fi sense: autocannons, surface to air missles, ect. Basically like Battletech.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 4, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mllaneza posted:

Traveller has a great setting that's been in development since about 1980. The map site is:

https://travellermap.com/

Just zooooooom in.

Ha ha ha, it autogenerates wiki entries based on the world codes.

E:

I meant to ask, is this excluding D&D 5e by virtue of that appearing in it's own sales category, or does 5e not have very high sales on this platform?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 4, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People that for sci-fi go "Eclipse Phase! oh wait, but the rules..." do know that there's a fully official Fate Core conversion for it, right? It's called Transhumanity's Fate, and it's free (in the sense of under a sharealike license, buy it if you like it and want to support it) just like all the rest of the material.

You need Fate Core to use it... but that's also free. You also probably want the Eclipse Phase core even though most of the fluff is reprinted... but that's also free.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't that what a point buy system is

I mean I guess in a strict sense but what I mean is that by far the biggest hurdle I've seen people run into with "I'd love a new system for running Shadowrun in" is the fact that most alternatives out there don't give you 20+ pages of cyberware and guns to browse through, and it occurs to me that there's a conceptual space for a cyberpunk game where your mundane attributes and skills are simply irrelevant in the bigger picture because all that poo poo is obsolete, all that matters is your gear, so chargen would literally be "you have X thousand future funbucks, here's the gear section."

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

bewilderment posted:

People that for sci-fi go "Eclipse Phase! oh wait, but the rules..." do know that there's a fully official Fate Core conversion for it, right? It's called Transhumanity's Fate, and it's free (in the sense of under a sharealike license, buy it if you like it and want to support it) just like all the rest of the material.

You need Fate Core to use it... but that's also free. You also probably want the Eclipse Phase core even though most of the fluff is reprinted... but that's also free.

It seems that what a lot of people are looking for is a middle ground between Eclipse Phase's intense (and poorly-implemented) crunch, and Fate Core's... Well, Fate-ness. Fate has never been a good system for the "gear porn and shopping lists" sort of gameplay that's been discussed in the last page or so, and it doesn't do horror well. That said, if you're not looking for those things, yeah, bewilderment is right, check out Transhumanity's Fate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Fine as long as you're not trying to force them to have identical loadouts.

BCG mechs are made up of three things: stats, upgrades and weapons. Except for a few of the upgrades (i.e. transforming or combining) none of those dictate how a mech would look, so you can have players make whatever mech they want to make mechanically and then go "you're all variations on [insert mech here]" - the one with the sniper loadout and stats is just the sniper variant, the one with the artillery stuff is the cannon variant, etc.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I keep coming back to my idea for a cyberpunk RPG where there are no attributes or skills or the like, chargen is entirely based on purchasing gear from a shopping list.

I kinda made that game. Only it's not just buying gear from a shopping list to create characters, gear is literally the only thing that matters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DigitalRaven posted:

I kinda made that game. Only it's not just buying gear from a shopping list to create characters, gear is literally the only thing that matters.

drat this owns

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

DigitalRaven posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

drat this owns

:emptyquote:

But seriously, this is a really cool idea!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

:woop:

I'm beginning to think I should do a Patreon for this kind of thing. It's :effort: doing layout and poo poo to put a tiny game on DTRPG that ain't going to make any money, but seeing some return for the random game ideas I have would be awesome, both to provide the impetus to release them wider and because capitalism demands the trade of time for money in order to ensure the security of food, shelter, and shiny games.

But again, :effort:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'm just going to copy paste how Reign handles Wealth, because I feel like it hits a sweet spot between "here is the difference between playing a rich merchant and a poor beggar" and "you don't need to keep track of every ducat and florin":

quote:

Money should not bethat important in fantasy games.I realize that this statement will shock and confound many readers, but there it is. While poverty is often a motivating force for fantasy heroes, the actual handling and management of cash are not heroic actions. Do you want to spend your precious gaming moments tracking your nickels and dimes, or gloriously conquering your neighbors? Money has its place. It’s important to know whether your character has the funds to arm that peasant uprising, and it’s fun to wow the local gentry by strewing diamonds about as if they meant no more to you than earwax.

[...]

The abstraction that measures personal cash is the Wealth score, which you can purchase at character creation as
an Advantage. If you don’t get that
Money
Advantage, you have Wealth 0 and are, if
not fl at broke, certainly getting there.
If your Wealth score is greater than an
object’s price, you can buy it. Ta da. It’s yours.
Your Wealth score doesn’t change.
If your Wealth score is less than the
object’s price, you can’t get it and are
stuck looking at it longingly while the
shopkeeper memorizes your features in
case the item in questiongoes missing.
If your Wealth score is equal to the object’s
price, you have a choice. One option is to
simply pay full price. If you do that, you get
the object but your Wealth drops by 1.
The other option is to bargain for it. If you do
this, you can either roll your Wealth as a pool,
or roll Command+Haggle. This is a contested
roll against the seller. If you get the Higher
match, you get the object and your Wealth
doesn’t change. If you don’t get a match,
you can’t get the object at all – not even by
dropping your Wealth rating. The merchant
has decided to teach you a lesson. Naturally,
if you decide to sell something this can work
in the opposite direction, but unless it’s a
dramatic matter that’s going to illuminate a
character or establish a rival or lead to a new
adventure, it’s probably easier for the GM
to avoid having haggling GMCs. If the PC
wants to buy something and there’s nothing
compelling hanging on him getting it or not,
a simple success in the Command+Haggle
may be suffi cient to get it on the cheap.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/ImperatorOfPuns/status/1014550588930052104

Covok
May 27, 2013

I found a comic book I think people here might like.

It's called Modern Fantasy.

It's pretty fun. It's like imagine a fantasy world out of D&D advanced to the Modern Age. So the Barbarian isn't fighting hordes, he's your sexist boss. That wizard is your annoying roommate who mooches off of you. And you are a ranger from the woods who came to the city for adventure and ended up with a lovely office job.

The current storyline seem to be centered around a magic amulet and the local Mafia and some weird dark cult. Thanks to a bizarre series of circumstances, the main character, who is a ranger who works in an office job, gets wrapped up in all of it and now has to save her own skin.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/extranapkins/status/1014565136001101825

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
More busy garbage in those pics than a Michael Bay Transformer movie.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DigitalRaven posted:

Well aside from creating your own gear rather than choosing from a premade list this is basically more or less exactly what I was envisioning.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
System Mastery's review of D&D 4th edition is so spot on and so very entertaining.

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2018/07/03/dungeons-dragons-4th-edition-system-mastery-125/

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Whose got that 'Do you really want to play D&D' doc that gives your other things you'd probably prefer.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

kingcom posted:

Whose got that 'Do you really want to play D&D' doc that gives your other things you'd probably prefer.

Right here!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

More busy garbage in those pics than a Michael Bay Transformer movie.

Dummy

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Thanks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like Fog of Love should be on that list these days with the critical reception its gotten. It's as much a roleplaying game as Quiet Year is, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm just going to copy paste how Reign handles Wealth, because I feel like it hits a sweet spot between "here is the difference between playing a rich merchant and a poor beggar" and "you don't need to keep track of every ducat and florin":

Seconded. Reign's method does indeed kick rear end. That is why Strike! has a Wealth system that takes that as a starting point, reconciles it with how rolls work in Strike!, adds on a few mechanical hooks, and fixes some of the more obvious problems that arise from Reign's version. (Problems that aren't very big if you agree with Stolze's thesis that buying stuff shouldn't be a big part of the game and only come up occasionally, but that grow the more you try to use those rules.)