Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

You just run all the way to the left. Iirc there’s a video of a guy doing it in like 30 seconds.

What I hate more about that level is actually shooting guys AS a sniper. And I loving love being a sniper in games.

That part's easy I always found, you just body shot them. Can you fail it?

I never tried the left path, there's stuff I needed on the right hand side but for my next play through I won't have to worry about it I don't think. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

It's faithful but not in the aspects that really matter. Looks beautiful, the music's remastered but they hosed with hitboxes and jump heights so now mundane stuff like getting over those lava puddles require not just good but absolutely perfect timing. It's really noticeable if you played the originals.

It's one of those things that you don't really notice until you start getting into some of the harder sections. When I was a kid, I could blow through Crash 2 very quickly with no problems at all, but with the new version some of the jumps go from reasonable to borderline unfair, especially if nitro boxes and/or ice are involved.

It was funny, I was actually kind of bummed at first and figured I just sucked at it now, but then I looked it up and it turns out that the game has some strange, allegedly oval-like hit boxes that make things more awkward than they have to be.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Found a patch that finally gets The Saboteur running on >4 core processors, been wanting to play this for a long time.

It is indeed a very good early open-world game, except for one omission - a huge game map and no fast travel? Ok, the car driving is fun but I’d rather not have to drive Paris to Le Havre multiple times to start a new mission thank you.

I love the game enough for it to be one of the few post-PS2 generation games I've played through multiple times but that is definitely one of its faults. Lots of missions that are just you driving all the way across the map to get a few lines of dialogue from an NPC and then driving all the way back across it for more missions.

Also the character progression is in a weird place where it's forward thinking enough to be tied to achievements instead of specific minigames and side missions like a lot of its peers but they're gated in a weird way where a good number of them are straight up impossible to progress past a certain point without doing story missions but at the same time if you don't go out of your way to grind out some of them like scoring two headshots with a single bullet or stealth killing specific unique enemies. If you've ever played Wolfenstein: The New Order imagine if half of the unlockables were as finicky and context-specific as the one you get by killing baddies by throwing their own grenades back at them and you have a good idea of how annoying it could be.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Quote-Unquote posted:

General bitch about the Switch since it's the first time I've really played on it since buying it in January and being underwhelmed by Zelda: it's completely impossible to use outside during the day because the screen is glossy and really dimly backlit. Seems to defeat the entire point of a handheld console.

Nintendo has had this problem since the original gameboy. They fixed it, briefly, with the GBA SP but then just seemed to have stopped giving a poo poo that the briefest flicker of natural sunlight makes their screens completely impossible to view.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I got Beyond Good and Evil in the Steam sale because I've heard so many good things about it but never even seen it in motion, so I got it super cheap. Sadly, it is the worst PC point I have ever seen.

There are obvious problems, like the menus flickering in and out of existence on the default setting, but it goes further: every fix I google for one problem causes two more. Menus fixed? Well, now the cutscenes play too fast and the audio lags behind. Fix that? Suddenly it's the other way round! Get everything running at a reasonable speed? gently caress you, the framerate in the outdoor boat section is now completely unplayable. I think I might have finally put everything as it needs to be but holy poo poo I'll never complain about the Dark Souls port again, at least that one was playable from the get-go.

All of that aside, something that was probably even MORE annoying was the controls. It's a very lazily ported PS2 game, so you'd expect there to be keyboard prompts instead of button prompts but you'll just have to learn those, right? Nope! There's absolutely no controller support which is really baffling for a console port. Apparently, the UPlay version of the game did get that patched in at some point (or maybe they put the game on there late and it had it from the start, whatever), but not on Steam.

After trying one other program that was an absolute nightmare to download and try to use, I settled for Joy2Key, immediately encountering the next problem: the default button layout make absolutely no sense and has been made by someone who never in their life played a game on any system. It starts with the menus, where you use WASD to go to menu options but left mouse button and ONLY that to confirm. It's also the attack button and right mouse is roll, but items and the run button are Q and Space bar so good luck wrapping your head around that. Finding out which harebrained original button corresponds to which option I haven't even unlocked yet because I couldn't initally play the game was fun, as was finding the right mouse speed for Joy2Key to use for the camera to work on the right stick of my controller, because the ingame mouse sensitivity (= camera speed) option keeps resetting itself like a complete rear end in a top hat.

Cycling through the equipped items has the button prompt 2 and 3 for keyboard controls, by the way (the other numbers do nothing), but alternative buttons are page up and page down which makes marginally more sense. However, the default for page down is also the secondary item USE key, so you can't cycle down through your items without also using them :psyduck:. And that has nothing to do with Joy2Key, that's originally in the game. You can change that in the launcher, but fiddling with that and then fiddling buttons back to controller with an external program is too much for my brain.

In conclusion, I finally got it running (I think, I haven't gone back on the boat yet) but holy hell that was a torturous process. I have both consoles and a PC and I fully well know why I keep the former around, for when I want to be absolutely sure that I can just play the drat game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Beyond good and evil is massively overrated,i really never understood what the big fuss was.Average graphics,average story,boring gameplay.

content : Playing Skate 2 and doing tricks is killing my old man hands (i'm 27)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Nintendo has had this problem since the original gameboy. They fixed it, briefly, with the GBA SP but then just seemed to have stopped giving a poo poo that the briefest flicker of natural sunlight makes their screens completely impossible to view.

People used to do all sorts of weird aftermarket poo poo to the GBA to make the screen visible in normal light. Dark games like Castlevania were almost unplayable unless you had something like a desk lamp blasting over your shoulder.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

muscles like this! posted:

I started playing Ni No Kuni 2 and while the general gameplay is good I hate how slow you move on the overworld map. Especially how they like to put chests and little pick ups all over the place.

You eventually get an upgraded map run speed, but the fact that they knew your base run speed was slow and make you research a better one is bullshit. Game is totally worth putting up with that, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ME3's combat was a lot of fun. There's a reason people sunk so much time into the multiplayer.

To further illustrate how much time people put into ME3's multiplayer: It is still being played, 6 years later.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Nothing makes a mediocre sequel shine brighter than an absolute disastrous one

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oof, I'm glad Absolver was free on PSN this month because the campaign is tiny. Ends just as its beginning.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Absolver's a super cool game but yeah, they didn't have enough to please everyone, it was a ton of ambition without enough manpower in the end.

The PvE is fun, but you run out of it quick enough.

Running into players in the world and maybe teaming up to fight the area or each other is fun but only a minor feature.

Then the structured PvP got ruined by the same combo system that made the game so cool, because of course in the "serious" mode everyone figured out what the cheesy poo poo was (Insanely boring jab spam builds) and then copied it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I just wanted to roundhouse kick weirdly masked goons, but yeah, people are such cheap dicks in the PvP. Nearly everyone I fought in the structured modes seemed to be using an identical moveset.

Everyone in open world PvP I beat punched me the second I helped them back to their feet, too!

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Beyond good and evil is massively overrated,i really never understood what the big fuss was.Average graphics,average story,boring gameplay.

It was basically the progenitor of the modern everything-but-the-kitchen-sink school of polished and unchallenging open world AAA game. Before two console generations of that being the default for big studio games it was incredibly novel to have a game with stealth & melee & vehicles & a bunch of objects and photos to collect all seamlessly in the same world, especially when it underperformed so you could hold it up as an unappreciated gem.

If a modern sequel ever did come to fruition and was true to the original it would just be another Ubisoft open world game only with a weird art style.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Erotic Wakes posted:

It was basically the progenitor of the modern everything-but-the-kitchen-sink school of polished and unchallenging open world AAA game. Before two console generations of that being the default for big studio games it was incredibly novel to have a game with stealth & melee & vehicles & a bunch of objects and photos to collect all seamlessly in the same world, especially when it underperformed so you could hold it up as an unappreciated gem.

If a modern sequel ever did come to fruition and was true to the original it would just be another Ubisoft open world game only with a weird art style.

A modern sequel was announced at E3

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Erotic Wakes posted:

Agreed.And yeah the video for the sequel looks pretty.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Yardbomb posted:

Then the structured PvP got ruined by the same combo system that made the game so cool, because of course in the "serious" mode everyone figured out what the cheesy poo poo was (Insanely boring jab spam builds) and then copied it.

Of course. If the devs didn't know it would happen they are loving morons and were never going to create a great game even if they had more time. The only way a competitive choose your abilities game works is with absurd amounts of post-release balancing/new content loving with the status quo. There's a reason why every card game turns to seasons or sets or whatever to keep thing changing and every fighting game goes with characters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prey:

I wish there was a fast travel option like the elevator in System Shock 2 that hit all six floors, instead of an elevator that only connects 3 zones out of 13. You can technically go outside the station via airlock but that's not terribly fast either.

Chipsets aren't terribly exciting to find. They're just tiny buffs that make you 5 percent better at killing things.

You can print everything, including Experience points. Thus none of the side-quests give rewards that are terribly interesting.

The game seems to lock you into sequence again and again that its difficult to know when is a good time to explore off the beaten path.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sid Vicious posted:

Did they finally realize it's pretty dumb to follow up a 10 year cliffhanger with a prequel that focuses on what was ~10min of gameplay in the original game and make it an actual sequel?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hel posted:

Did they finally realize it's pretty dumb to follow up a 10 year cliffhanger with a prequel that focuses on what was ~10min of gameplay in the original game and make it an actual sequel?

Yes

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Futuresight posted:

Of course. If the devs didn't know it would happen they are loving morons and were never going to create a great game even if they had more time. The only way a competitive choose your abilities game works is with absurd amounts of post-release balancing/new content loving with the status quo. There's a reason why every card game turns to seasons or sets or whatever to keep thing changing and every fighting game goes with characters.

They tried a few times, it was just all too slow because they're a tiny team and similarly bad poo poo replaced anything that changed, it's a game that should've just not bothered with serious PvP poo poo, all it did was draw the usual crap types which drove everyone else off, the often much more laid back world encounter PvP/co-op stuff was always better in the first place.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Am I understanding Absolver right in that I need to grind 100 ranks of PvP combat to unlock all the bosses?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Safeword posted:

Am I understanding Absolver right in that I need to grind 100 ranks of PvP combat to unlock all the bosses?

:gonk: hosed up if true.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Sid Vicious posted:

They've been teasing sequels off and on for about a decade now, I have even less faith than their CGI animated short is going to amount to an actual game than the last few ones that at least tried to look like they came from a real game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCXE1l5MVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnuV-9FKLk

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Prey:

Chipsets aren't terribly exciting to find. They're just tiny buffs that make you 5 percent better at killing things.

There must be some sort of internal reason why Arkane keeps putting this mechanic in games because they do it in Dishonored too and it's also pretty useless since the drops are completely random there while at least in Prey there are a few chipsets that always appear in certain locations.

I think the problem is that they're balanced poorly since there are some that are legitimately very useful (like the one in Dishonored that lets you choke people out quickly or the double jump in Prey) but they're few and far between between small damage/recovery boosts. If there were fewer of them but they were all legitimately useful they would be way more rewarding to find and choose.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People used to do all sorts of weird aftermarket poo poo to the GBA to make the screen visible in normal light. Dark games like Castlevania were almost unplayable unless you had something like a desk lamp blasting over your shoulder.

I have "fond" memories of playing Megaman Zero on rainy evenings under a lamp. I'd have to hold my GBA up right close to the light bulb and tilt it at just the perfect angle to be able to see the screen because if I didn't, I'd never be able to see anything if the sun went behind a cloud. Or didn't go behind a cloud. Or set.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Beyond Good and Evil had a dopeass letter entry system for a console. The whole alphabet was put on a spiral that you swirled through with a joystick. As you completed the rotation of the joystick, the menu would spiral upwards or downwards for more letters or numbers. It's kind of hard to describe but it worked so fast and accurate, I've always been sad imagining it for navigating a modern interface, like youtube or netflix apps on modern consoles. Seriously so fast, and fun to use and natural for a joystick, and I've only ever seen it here.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Fallout 4 - it might just be me being staggeringly dense and blind, but I can't seem to see companion max carry weight? I just mash poo poo into their inventory until the game tells me to stop, which fine ok I don't need to know the number but it would be nice. The trade UI does tend stop displaying the navigation arrows after a little bit so maybe that number also vanishes, I don't know.

My dog keeps running away from me when I want to dump poo poo in his inventory. Please stop I picked up too many pistols and just need to mule them back to a vendor ahhhhh

The crafting UI is hideous beyond belief, at least let me sort by equipped or favourited or something. Is there a toggle for that I haven't found? There has to be, right?

I know it's not a new insight but the main story plot hook is incredibly jarring in the context of everything else. "Well, just watched my husband get murdered and my infant son kidnapped and I've woken up in this hellworld full of corpses and giant cockroaches. Oooh, neat gun, I'll come back for that."

Mama Murphy is loving terrible.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Fallout 4's desire to make conversations not halt time when you converse with npcs is baffling and terrible and is directly responsible for companions walking off when you're trying to talk to them/see their inventory or random other npcs pushing you out of conversation range when you're talking to someone so you have to redo the whole conversation and it's awful and drags the game down horribly.

I don't even understand what they were going for unless it was just an overreaction to people making fun of the way earlier games would jerk and zoom in on the npc in exactly the same way such that they always seemed to be staring right at the player slightly creepily. If they'd gone for full no-pause even when lockpicking, hacking, and using the pipboy I'd at least be able to see where they're coming from. But just getting rid of the pause on conversations and VATS was weird and dumb.

But then weird and dumb describes half the choices if Fallout 4.

Like the button to skip to the next line of dialogue in a conversation is the same as the shoot button and under several different circumstances, such as when which NPC you're talking to changes or when one dialogue tree is ending and a new one starting or if your mouse moves slightly off the target NPC's centre mass, the game will decide you meant to shoot the person you're in a conversation with while you just wanted to skip to the next line.

The biggest pet peeve for me in it is the inability to turn off iron-sights aiming. I hate that feature and it drags down every shooter it's in. All it does is make it so if I want to aim my gun has to take up 1/2 the screen and gives me a much less useful aiming interface than a, delightful, adaptive, pixel perfect targeting reticle. But I cant just ignore it because hip firing is going to give me a much larger spread and sacrifices the FoV squeeze and mouse-speed scaling that aiming give you to help. I'm bad enough at shooter games without a gun taking up half the screen I don't need the further handicap.

The ubiquity of iron sights is like 50% of the reason I barely ever play any shooters any more and I wish it would just gently caress off. At least New Vegas had a toggle for it, even if many of the DLC guns seemed to ignore that toggle and position themselves as if you had iron sights turned on regardless.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Yardbomb posted:

They tried a few times, it was just all too slow because they're a tiny team and similarly bad poo poo replaced anything that changed, it's a game that should've just not bothered with serious PvP poo poo, all it did was draw the usual crap types which drove everyone else off, the often much more laid back world encounter PvP/co-op stuff was always better in the first place.

Yeah they were always gonna try and always gonna fail. From memory they even had to delay the game before release. No way they could keep up with the live development task they set themselves up for.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I like the perk mod I'm using because the base game's are slightly more boring and come with a bunch of level restrictions but it either puts the lockpick perk in some weird place I still haven't found or accidentally removes it/makes it invisible. I'll look up how to console the right level to me at some point I guess, doesn't seem to work the same as Skyrim.

I also like how I have to sit through

"[NPC's name/title]"

"Oh hey what can I do for you?"

(wait for the actual dialogue prompts to come up because the game hasn't activated Dialogue Mode yet)

"I'd like to trade."

"Oh yup sure thing."

And only then the trade menu pops up. Just give me the choices when I press e, it's not ~*immersive*~ it's just irritating. Maybe I can skip through the opening couple lines but I also don't want to accidentally shoot someone and have to reload.

And apparently there's some weird poo poo with load times being capped by the frame rate, so it still takes a while to load back into the commonwealth despite being installed on my SSD. There's a fix I could download but :effort:

The loadscreens keep using 'activate' instead of interact or any word a normal person would use for the interact button, it's really weird. 'activate a person while crouching to pickpocket them' who wrote this and why wasn't it proofread? Did one of my mods change them without me realising? It's extremely offputting.

I like the bit where the mayor is giving some speech and my random hobo rear end dressed in scavenged raider gear can waltz up to him on his special speech platform and point a gun at his face and no one gives a poo poo. Video games are dumb

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not really a specific game thing, but Twitch are giving away a bunch of neat games with Amazon this month. They're tied to the Twitch launcher, which inexplicably doesn't have a screenshot button like Steam, Origin and Uplay do.

Now I have to use Windows key + print screen like a loving caveman.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Just use the Snipping Tool. Love that app

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm finally playing Bloodborne. I spent over an hour last night on the Bloodletting Beast, a giant frenzied monstrosity with more health than god, who can practically one shot me from the other side of the arena.

I have been painstakingly whittling him away, only breaking my caution to get a few headshots and try for a visceral.

I'm on full health, he's two, maybe three hits from death.

"Dual Shock 4 Battery Empty. Connect controller to charger. "

He grabs and eats me.

Yes I'm salty.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Borrowing Xenoblade 2 from a friend.

Why the gently caress is a 500-year-old weapon a young woman in hot pants with huge tits. Why. Jesus christ this loving genre.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Penpal posted:

Just use the Snipping Tool. Love that app

I've never seen it before, but I'm having a look and can't would it help me take game screenshots? Looks like I'd have to click away from the game and bring up this toolbar.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

glad she is dead posted:

I've never seen it before, but I'm having a look and can't would it help me take game screenshots? Looks like I'd have to click away from the game and bring up this toolbar.

Haha my bad. My reading comprehension is bogus, I thought you were talking about games being played in a window for some reason. Snipping Tool is still rad though!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Morpheus posted:

Borrowing Xenoblade 2 from a friend.

Why the gently caress is a 500-year-old weapon a young woman in hot pants with huge tits. Why. Jesus christ this loving genre.

You know why. Japaaaaaaaan

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

glad she is dead posted:

ShareX lets you set up hotkeys, has automatic uploads to many different services and will copy the link to clipboard after the task is done. It's super flexible program so it may be too complex to set up for some but I've used it for years and love it.
I've got it set up to upload the images directly to my Dropbox so it's super easy to delete them from file explorer when I want to.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sininu posted:

ShareX lets you set up hotkeys, has automatic uploads to many different services and will copy the link to clipboard after the task is done. It's super flexible program so it may be too complex to set up for some but I've used it for years and love it.
I've got it set up to upload the images directly to my Dropbox so it's super easy to delete them from file explorer when I want to.

Ah nice, this looks perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

glad she is dead posted:

Ah nice, this looks perfect.

That program has zillion options and functions so this guide/manual may be helpful for setting it up for your needs:
https://anacondapython.gitbooks.io/sharex-user-manual/content/ShareX-introduction.html