Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

start a new game of oxygen not included, build a bathroom and dig into a water reservoir, my dude immediately pisses into the water reservoir and not into the toilet. the water reservoir is now yellow. I delete that save game permanently, the ultimate punishment for his crimes

so it's better than shank 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Grey posted:

I'm not sure where to post this... have people already talked about all the free games Amazon Prime members get this month?

- Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition: July 2-4
- Metal Slug 3: July 3 - August 2
- The Last Blade: July 3 - August 2
- Twinkle Star Sprites: July 3 - August 2
- Q.U.B.E. 2: July 3-4
- Battle Chef Brigade: July 4-11
- Manual Samuel: July 5-12
- Gonner: July 6-13
- Next Up Hero: July 7-14
- Uurnog Uurnlimited: July 8-14
- Hue: July 9-15
- Deponia Doomsday: July 10-16
- Observer: July 11-17
- Tacoma: July 12-18
- The Bridge: July 13-26
- Brutal Legend: July 14-27
- The Red Strings Club: July 15-21
- Tyranny: July 16-18
- Broken Age: July 17-31
- The Framed Collection: July 18-31
- Serial Cleaner: July 18-31

Observer's gameplay is nothing interesting (it's just walking around while spooky things happen sometimes) but I liked the atmosphere a ton. It's pure grimdark cyberpunk and things remain downbeat all the way through. Rutger Hauer is so tired...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

psn sale this week had some ps2 games for $3 each so i got Ape Escape 2 and Okage Shadow King

if you dont have the dark cloud games on PS4 they're both $3 each

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I fuckin' love my two thermo cups. I can make coffee, forget about it for two hours, and it will still be hot. That rules.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://i.imgur.com/xuzcdzg.mp4

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning is good and my friend, and that was one of the better outfits.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Is this from Lightening Returns? How is it?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

bloodychill posted:

My opinion is that it's OK to go into debt as long as you calculate the risk and the need is justified. Applying this to the Lasik problem, I'd say it's probably something that can wait until FAK and KCB are in a more stable situation.

Oh for sure. Getting a reasonable loan from a solid source to buy something of utility like a car or house if the numbers run ok and you can afford it is good. I'm mostly talking about straight up consumer debt via credit cards or seller financing schemes. Credit cards can be good for sudden emergencies that need $500-$3000 or whatever, or if you can afford and trust yourself to use them and pay them to zero every month.

But I guess the subtext of my posts were essentially to not make the questionable, delayable, non-emergency, dangerzone purchase for purely emotional reasons, especially when the only methods for financing it are either credit cards or some payment plan that for sure will have a HUGE interest rate if god forbid Murphy's Law gets you and you can't pay it off within their grace period.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/OmarVillegasLA/status/1014284467966341120

nice

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

That was SO good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
When do y'all think the next Unreal Tournament update will happen?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mercury Crusader posted:

When do y'all think the next Unreal Tournament update will happen?

never

last i tried playing ut14, it had been so long since the last update and the game's player base was effectively dead

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 4, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

start a new game of oxygen not included, build a bathroom and dig into a water reservoir, my dude immediately pisses into the water reservoir and not into the toilet. the water reservoir is now yellow. I delete that save game permanently, the ultimate punishment for his crimes

Is that game worth playing yet? I sounds right up my alley but I never touch anything that's deep in early access.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Just finished Bullet Witch. Like many z/b-tier games released last gen (NeverDead being another even if it's a "better" game) it had such a neat concept and it's a shame the end product was so mediocre. Running towards a group of demons while firing a huge broom-machinegun never got old though, too bad about everything else.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

Oh for sure. Getting a reasonable loan from a solid source to buy something of utility like a car or house if the numbers run ok and you can afford it is good. I'm mostly talking about straight up consumer debt via credit cards or seller financing schemes. Credit cards can be good for sudden emergencies that need $500-$3000 or whatever, or if you can afford and trust yourself to use them and pay them to zero every month.

But I guess the subtext of my posts were essentially to not make the questionable, delayable, non-emergency, dangerzone purchase for purely emotional reasons, especially when the only methods for financing it are either credit cards or some payment plan that for sure will have a HUGE interest rate if god forbid Murphy's Law gets you and you can't pay it off within their grace period.

She's largely upset that so many people think that just getting different frames will fix her problem when she says that the problem is that having glasses on at all makes her feel absolutely hideous and horrifyingly ugly and she doesn't care what other say because that's just what she sees. She said she didn't see herself this way when she had her contacts in and she's tried getting information about how she can reduce the pain from using contacts but she said nothing works and she's just so frustrated because she was so close to going to lasik and she had an appointment for next week to get it done and I didn't bring up anything until now because I legit didn't know anything about it until now. I knew she wanted to get lasik but I didn't know anything about the price and certainly didn't know it was going to be happening so soon. At the least I'd like her to wait until I get the disability money in so that I can cover it but she kept saying about how she's already approved for the credit card through the lasik center and that she can pay for it that way and that as long as she makes the payments on time, there won't be any interest, and then when my disability comes in then I can just pay it off. She's so frustrated that she was this close to finally being able to look in a mirror and not hate herself only to have it dragged away and she said that she doesn't think I understand what she's going through, that most people don't seem to understand since they keep suggesting different frames and she's had 12 different glasses over the course of her life and she has always felt so ugly in them no matter what. She said her coworkers understand where I'm coming from but also said that she should just go and treat herself, that she doesn't really treat herself ever with cosmetic things.

I just want her to wait until I get my money in but like... I said I don't know if she'll even feel pretty after the surgery, that it might be a temp fix where one day she'll look in the mirror and think she's still ugly even without the glasses, and she just started crying and crying and telling me that I didn't understand, that nobody understands, that she guesses she must be the unreasonable one for wanting to be pretty.

I just... ugh, I want her to be happy and I know how it feels to have some plans made and then have them changed on you at the last minute and I know how it feels to be the one who has to change those sudden plans at the last minute. It makes me feel like a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. I know how horrible she feels, how she feels so awful just from having glasses on and I understand all of that completely, I just... I wish she could wait. I only brought up my reservations with doing it so soon because I found out it was happening so soon, I'd been under the impression that there was no way this was going to be happening in like...a week from the consultation. Having it happen so soon, my brain was just like "this...there's something wrong here" especially when she started going into the credit card thing, the post-op recovery, finding out about the eyedrops and how nothing would be covered by insurance because it would be considered an elective cosmetic thing, I know she feels really sad because she feels like I'm ripping away the chance of her treating herself to make herself feel pretty but I just really want her to wait until we get the money. Her plan already involved waiting for the money anyway, it was just that she would be waiting on the money while also paying off the payments, and with all of the big expenses we'll be facing soon, I hoped she'd be more understanding about maybe just waiting a few more months.

The "try other frames" thing really got to her though because she feels like she's ugly in all frames, no matter what, and like everybody just didn't understand how she feels by saying she should just get some new frames.

Ugh I feel like a shithead and a bad person

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
FAK, if I may offer some personal thoughts that stem from being in a similar place to KCB seven-five years ago. (It was a bad three year period)

I thought of myself as a wretch. I was mentally broken, terribly depressed, and kept thinking certain things would improve my life if only I could do them. These things were all out of reach being either too expensive, or in another country, or impossible due to who I was. The thought of them made me think 'if only I could get that, all the problem I am facing would be gone! It would be fixed!' but this was my way of dealing with exceptionally bad depression.

I was willing to get a loan of £9000 (and I did) just to try and change things for myself and I spent it trying to do so. I am 4 months away from finishing the repayments but have struggled with cash ever since. I know I do not have half the bills you have, so your $4000 will probably stretch you guys to a possible breaking point. Lack of money terrifies me and lack of social safety nets for people terrifies me further.

I think KCB is totally right in that frames will not change anything. I also think the problem is possibly deeper than frames. I think after a while the not having frames will subside and something else will possibly become the next problem.

I would love if KCB (and perhaps even yourself) could get some therapy; maybe from a counsellor, but some sort of discussive mental assistance from a trained professional. I know people joke a lot about getting help, but I think it is one of the greatest things that we as humans can do for each other.

I got that help and it saved my life. I do not feel the way I used to. I am happier all the more for it. I even, because I was helped so very much, am training to be a counsellor myself in order to give back to others what was given to me. Having an impartial person to talk to is an utter godsend. Unloading everything you feel is wrong to someone who is not in a close circle alleviates so much worry you have of having someone close pity you or see you in a different way.

If you have done this before, then I apologise. I truly believe in mental assistance and have no shame in admitting how much it helped me and how much I think it can help others.

Also, caring for someone and not knowing what to do to help them but trying everything does not make you a bad person. It never will.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I agree that therapy feels like a stronger long-term solution for this issue with the added bonus of being easier financially as well.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Raxivace posted:

Man I fuckin' love my two thermo cups. I can make coffee, forget about it for two hours, and it will still be hot. That rules.

are we doing sponsored posts now. where do i sign up

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the Subway brand footlong delicatessen sandwich, a product of the Doctor’s Association, is the pinnacle of the delicious nutritious meal

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
subway is having a lot of trouble finding another slogan to replace EAT FRESH. it feels like every other month they're demoing something new and spending seven figures producing a commercial showing off their new, hip, fashionable, catch phrase that pairs easily with an appealing R&B beat.

i need to know how i can get in on this racket

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oddium posted:

I mean I'll accept a sponsorship, but I just genuinely love my thermo cups. They do such a good job of preserving the temperatures of my beverages that I can't help but gush about how wonderful that is.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

The thread already has multiple arby's plants :tinfoil:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

an arby’s plant.... folks i’m talking about rafflesia

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Unrelatedly, when I play games there's nothing better to keep me fuelled than a hearty TACO BELL. The spicy flavour and crunchy shell of TACO BELL gives me the energy I need to 'frag newbs'. Everyone can up their DPS and get mad loot with TACO BELL today!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

a subway six inch going through the beginning of 1-1 and the super mushroom turns it into a footlong. also the goomba is a hamburger

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thankfully KCB already has a therapist and she has agreed to bring this up with her as well the next time she can see her. Unfortunately, that won't be for a week because our therapist is the only one who takes all insurance types so she ends up being pretty booked.

Though the best part about heading to therapy is that we get to stop at the nearby SHEETZ BROS GAS STATION FAST FOOD RESTAURANT where we can get a cool FROZEN SHEETZ COFFEEZ, a NICE WARM SHEETZ MELTZ SANDWICH or a hot SHMISCUIT or SHMUFFIN or SHMAGEL, and for dessert, some breakfast SHWEETZ like the cup of CINAPOPPERZ

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anybody know which console version of Dead by Daylight is better? I've got both a PS4 and an Xbox One and was curoius if one version was better/had less technical issues over the other. With Friday the 13th being what it is now i guess i need a replacement game and that's the best i'm gonna get that's vaguely similar on console :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Separate question: how bad is KCB’s vision?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

subway is having a lot of trouble finding another slogan to replace EAT FRESH. it feels like every other month they're demoing something new and spending seven figures producing a commercial showing off their new, hip, fashionable, catch phrase that pairs easily with an appealing R&B beat.

i need to know how i can get in on this racket

I think the current one in Australia is "flavour that's worth crossing the road for" it's terrible

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

really the slogan should be "WE HATE JARED AS MUCH AS YOU DO"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wamdoodle posted:

Is this from Lightening Returns? How is it?

It's good

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm late posting about the Lasik thing but are you sure she is even a candidate? My eyesight sucks and I wanted Lasik too years ago but the eye doctor said no it would be a very bad idea and hurt me in the long run, although I'm sure some lovely doctors would do it anyway just for the $$.

Also, debt is a terrible thing and though I don't know you or your SO personally I'd recommend against having that anchor tied to your necks because it will kick your rear end and make your life miserable in the future. It's also possible that the moment her eyesight is fixed she'll jump to something else on her list (if the problem is 'deeper' or whatever, blah blah blah therapy is good blah blah I'm not a doctor and don't know you both so I could be way off).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo guys what is this https://store.steampowered.com/app/752960/Synther/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

it's germs: nerawareta machi

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

Unrelatedly, when I play games there's nothing better to keep me fuelled than a hearty TACO BELL. The spicy flavour and crunchy shell of TACO BELL gives me the energy I need to 'frag newbs'. Everyone can up their DPS and get mad loot with TACO BELL today!

I tried to get Taco Bell breakfast last week when I switched shifts with my coworker but they don't open til 7am

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rarity posted:

If I were a streamer or w/e I would gladly get sponsored by Taco Bell cause they're tasty as gently caress and anyone that gets stomach issues from them is a weakass stomach'd bitch IMO

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would hold out for the premium Chipotle money TBH

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do streamers really get those kinds of sponsors

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Lots of understandable stuff.

So, I swear I'm not trying to belabor the point, but I will go so far as to say that I'm extremely empathetic to your thoughts and feelings about it, and I can absolutely empathize and acknowledge what KCB is experiencing and I STILL strongly recommend NOT going into debt for this. America's debt system is literally set up to be predatory and the current administration is devoted to removing as many of the paltry safety nets as possible for people in your position. VideoGames said the rest wayyyyyy better than any of us could, so I'll leave it there, but we're all piling into other solutions because going into consumer debt in 2018 America in the mid- to lower- income brackets is legitimately that risky.

Again, though, only you guys know all of the situation, so the choice is yours. Just be careful and you're correct to be nervous and scared of that debt. If you do decide to do it, pay it off in full asap.

Help Im Alive posted:

Do streamers really get those kinds of sponsors

They tend to get smaller or different companies like mobile game publishers or at least more online-content related companies like Audible. I think some of the big esports people get bigger things. I think I've seen some taco bell logos on some Overwatch League players streams perhaps?

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
a $4000 debt is not "treating yourself" :/

• Locked thread