Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh my god the character names spell octopath :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
code:
 theriOn
olberiC
h'aaniT
 primrOse
     oPhilia
 tressA
   apoThecary
      Hcyrus 

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

code:
 theriOn
olberiC
h'aaniT
 primrOse
     oPhilia
 tressA
   apoThecary
      Hcyrus 

:hmmyes:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope there's a scene where they decide to call themselves the Octopath Travelers.

I'll still call them the Octopathers though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
"Looking back on the time we spent together, we really were the OCTOPATH TRAVELERS"

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
"Going on a journey with all of you really would be my octopath travel FINAL FANTASY"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

I hope there's a scene where they decide to call themselves the Octopath Travelers.

I'll still call them the Octopathers though.

Only if they do it in a full blown Super Sentai style.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

teh_Broseph posted:

"Going on a journey with all of you really would be my octopath travel FINAL FANTASY"

You guys are huge dorks and I love it

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hey there everyone! So I decided to do a totally non-official poll to gauge what everyone's interest were coming into the game and then maybe compare it with a strawpoll sometime after the game has been released. I've made two polls, but feel free to mention any other things you may want to be polled. It's not like it's that hard to make them or anything.

Question One: Which Character Are You Going To Start With? - Link here: https://www.strawpoll.me/16014897

Question Two: Which Character's Story Intrigues/Interests You The Most? - Link here: https://www.strawpoll.me/16014933

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Honestly, I don't think "you always have your main character" makes sense, because then you have almost no reason to ever use the person with the same path action unless you want to double up. For example, doing H'aanit chapters with an Olberic main character would force you to give up one of the path actions.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Held off on playing the demo so far. But I think I might cave tonight. How much longer till release? A week and a half?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aquasnake posted:

Held off on playing the demo so far. But I think I might cave tonight. How much longer till release? A week and a half?

10 days. The 13th. Play the demo!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zaphod42 posted:

10 days. The 13th. Play the demo!

In the demo I got blocked off from going to a certain area and I'm not sure what other limitations there are. I think I'm going to wait until the game comes out so I can play it for reals. Is there anything I'm not considering?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Sean posted:

In the demo I got blocked off from going to a certain area and I'm not sure what other limitations there are. I think I'm going to wait until the game comes out so I can play it for reals. Is there anything I'm not considering?

Hm, maybe say what area it was behind a spoiler tag? Probably something that'll be blocked off in the full game until you get a certain number of characters or something.

I def played the demo up to the 3 hour limit and got 3 characters.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Is the demo a separate download or is it actually the full game download. Planning on getting this digitally but I dunno if I should delete the demo or not.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nah every area outside the prologue/chapter 1 zones are blocked off with a sign saying you can't go further in the demo

e: there is basically a ring of zones connecting all the characters and you can't go outside of this ring (to where the chapter 2 locations are)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Last time I got excited for a jrpg it was Ni No Kuni 2 and that game ended up being trash. I hope this one is better

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1544

Octopath Traveler (Switch) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

:captainpop:

Hollow Knight only got 34

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Famitsu still takes their scores very seriously, right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody should care about Famitsu scores

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

one of the Japanese speakers in the Switch thread (surely there are dozens due to the prevalence of anime) needs to translate the review asap

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005
I am so excited for this game, but I can’t bring myself to play the demo. My game time is split between actually playing and having to put a controller down for random periods of time and deal with *life*. So the three hour limit really puts me off. When the game goes live though... well I am pre-ordering this Friday so I can dork out on a good rpg again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HapXL posted:

I am so excited for this game, but I can’t bring myself to play the demo. My game time is split between actually playing and having to put a controller down for random periods of time and deal with *life*. So the three hour limit really puts me off. When the game goes live though... well I am pre-ordering this Friday so I can dork out on a good rpg again.

Don't? The demo isn't a race, its just the full game but you only get to play 3 hours of it. Its not like you're gonna miss out on anything, as soon as you hit 3 hours it'll just save the game and then when the full version comes out, you pick up from exactly where you stopped.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Famitsu gave Sonic Forces a good review.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Famitsu are so easily and blatantly bought it makes IGN look respectable. Famitsu scores are pretty much only useful for judging the marketing budgets of games in Japan.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

As long as you buy enough ads in their magazine, yes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

the real octopath travelers were the stupidly large people we had bossfights against

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Overarching plot observations:

-In Ophelia’s prologue, they keep hammering home this idea of eight gods, and I would bet you cash money records that the eight gods lined up with your eight travelers. I wish I had written them down. There’s also no way that her flame quest isn’t direly important and won’t affect the other characters.

-Aren’t Tressa and Cyrus both looking for books? I swear I remember both of their chapter 2 icons lining up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tressa is following the directions of a book, but I don't think she's actively doing anything except adventuring

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Apparently, according to someone (who didn't provide a source, which makes me think he found a Japanese source and translated that) Primrose's story will explore the "darkness of humanity" while Cyrus's story will explore the "darkness of the word itself".

Huh...

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Back when the Japanese gaming industry began its decade long decline around 2008, we saw Famitsu give out perfect scores with increasing frequency.

Secret collusion between Famitsu and publishers to jump start the stagnant domestic gaming market or were Final Fantasy XIII-2 and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle just that good?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bean posted:

-Aren’t Tressa and Cyrus both looking for books? I swear I remember both of their chapter 2 icons lining up.

Tressa is following the footsteps of a book she has, Cyrus is looking for a missing book. I think they're different but could be.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jojo bizarre adventure was a 40out of 40 game right up until you actually played it, to be fair

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I finally sat down and played a bit more of the demo. So far I've only played half of them (Primrose in the old demo, and now Ophilia, Therion and doing Alfys) but some seem more story involved than others. It feels like the first two were pretty heavy on story, while Therion really only got a plot at the very end, and Alfys only exists for like five minutes before you converge and join his party. I have to wonder if that means some characters will be more prominent than others.

The way your extra characters don't matter during the prologues doesn't really bother me. These are very clearly designed for a single person, almost like they decided later to just let you have extra party members if you had them on hand. I don't really see the whole game being structured like this, at least I hope not.

Also, going into Alfys I figured having a party of three would make it a lot easier to fight the boss. I probably made it harder on myself by trying to keep everyone alive, but I still managed to die to it. Not sure how you could really fight that thing solo, but I am excited to see the difficulty be a thing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Momomo posted:

The way your extra characters don't matter during the prologues doesn't really bother me. These are very clearly designed for a single person, almost like they decided later to just let you have extra party members if you had them on hand. I don't really see the whole game being structured like this, at least I hope not.

The prologues are told as flashbacks for all the other characters aside from the one you start with. You don't even need to play them right when you meet the character.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bean posted:

-In Ophelia’s prologue, they keep hammering home this idea of eight gods, and I would bet you cash money records that the eight gods lined up with your eight travelers. I wish I had written them down. There’s also no way that her flame quest isn’t direly important and won’t affect the other characters.
There are twelve gods actually :v: You're on the money about the later bit, though, since each character's eighth skill, the one that's ??? until you unlock the others, is named after a god. Which has interesting implications!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Cyrus' missing book is a compendium of ancient magic, the book Tressa finds is some guy's travel journal. It doesn't sound like they're related.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suaimhneas posted:

Cyrus' missing book is a compendium of ancient magic, the book Tressa finds is some guy's travel journal. It doesn't sound like they're related.
or are they???

the real main story plot twist is Tressa's ascent to godhood through adventure and treasure

witness the face of the true final boss and despair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sunning posted:

Back when the Japanese gaming industry began its decade long decline around 2008, we saw Famitsu give out perfect scores with increasing frequency.

Secret collusion between Famitsu and publishers to jump start the stagnant domestic gaming market or were Final Fantasy XIII-2 and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle just that good?

XIII-2 rules