Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

whats wrong with 120Hz

try dividing 24 into 120

now try dividing 24 into 600

now think about how :how: most movies are filmed in 24fps and your tv is 60/120 hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
plasmas were never 600hz that was a marketing thing. they just had the ability to do multiple refresh rates. like mine could do 60hz for 30fps content and 48 or 96hz for 24fps content.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

qirex posted:

most 4k projectors under 10 grand can't do actual 4k and projectors are a pain in the rear end, noisy and require maintenance so they've been relegated to grognard use

idk, I bought my parents some "super duper gaming" viewsonic projector and they didn't have any trouble plugging it in and now my mom says my dad runs around picking flowers in the witcher but on a 100" screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skim Milk posted:

i just saw 2001 a space odyssey in 70mm it was p dece

yes lol got baked and went and saw it recently it was good

i’ve never seen it so it was quite the experience
in fact never seen a movie that was as much of an experience as that movie

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's one of my favorite movies

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

try dividing 24 into 120

now try dividing 24 into 600

now think about how :how: most movies are filmed in 24fps and your tv is 60/120 hz

I feel like I'm missing something simple because both 120 and 600 are evenly divisible by 24. That or I'm worse at arithmetic than I thought.

Or does the 120hz mode in TVs tend to be some interpolated deal that doesn't solve the problem?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I may have missed a memo on 120's divisibility

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's one of my favorite movies

i dont get the end at all

and was fuckin hilarious in the cinema with the music only intro coz we looking at each other like "is this meant to be?? no image?"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what’s up echi how’s it going

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its alright how are you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im ok. work sux

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also my tv updated and now shwos ads i nthe menu bar which loving blows and my br player also interrupts films to demand an update so that can go gently caress itself too.
lol you connected your tv to the internet

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

4k hdr looks loving weeeirrddd for like 5 minutes until you get used to it and then it just looks super good

my idiot sarnsung tv has to manually be set to allow hdr input though so i watched all of blade runner 2049 in sdr then went "hmm why does the option menu say "standard" in tiny letters?", so now ive got to watch it again which is ok because its a good film

also my tv updated and now shwos ads i nthe menu bar which loving blows and my br player also interrupts films to demand an update so that can go gently caress itself too.

That sucks. The first time I watched my Prometheus BD it demanded a USB flash drive be inserted but didn't say why. I imagine its to download a key or certificate or something from the internet. So far only that movie has asked for one.

When my Samsung plasma was new, I could use a neat app on my Android phone and it would stream whatever the TV was showing, audio and video, to my phone. I could poop and not stop watching. Later I think Samsung lost a patent or a court case, so a "Required" firmware update disabled that function without explicitly warning me first. That was annoying, I liked that feature.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol at owning a prometheus blu ray

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

angry_keebler posted:

idk, I bought my parents some "super duper gaming" viewsonic projector and they didn't have any trouble plugging it in and now my mom says my dad runs around picking flowers in the witcher but on a 100" screen

lol your dad plays video games

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

im ok. work sux

mate tell me about it

like I like the premise of my job, I love helping people and flirting with the older ladies from the retirement village. its fun and rewarding..

but then big boss man is all "sell sell sell money mone money" and makes me hate it all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

netwerk23 posted:

That sucks. The first time I watched my Prometheus BD it demanded a USB flash drive be inserted but didn't say why. I imagine its to download a key or certificate or something from the internet. So far only that movie has asked for one.

When my Samsung plasma was new, I could use a neat app on my Android phone and it would stream whatever the TV was showing, audio and video, to my phone. I could poop and not stop watching. Later I think Samsung lost a patent or a court case, so a "Required" firmware update disabled that function without explicitly warning me first. That was annoying, I liked that feature.

lol at all the smart tvs

I got the dumbest poo poo for brains tv there is

it cant do anything except change the source input and turn on and off

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

nhk's time will come

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

i dont get the end at all

and was fuckin hilarious in the cinema with the music only intro coz we looking at each other like "is this meant to be?? no image?"

well if you read the book

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

lancemantis posted:

lol your dad plays video games

yeah, i definitely encourage both my parents to play video games, it's way better than the people that end up sitting around their house watching cable news and reruns of gunsmoke

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
no, op

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I remember when N64 was called “project reality”they tried to show pics of this architecture to show how smooth and hi rez they were

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this kills the pagancow

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can't even see the pixels on my 4k

get better glasses, nerd

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Hed posted:

I remember when N64 was called “project reality”they tried to show pics of this architecture to show how smooth and hi rez they were

it's called kinkaku-ji, it's in kyoto

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Hed posted:

GET A LOAD OF THESE screenshots of a game that never actually came out

edit - bonus M2 reference up there

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

coming to your home in NINEeteen ninety five
ONLY on the ninTENdo ULTRA SIXtyfour

*swoosh*

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Broken Machine posted:

it's called kinkaku-ji, it's in kyoto

????

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

imagine your face

in 8k def

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can't even see the pixels on my 4k

i saw a rather large 4K TV, and i like "holy cow, that looks like crap" because it was all pixelated up close

so thank god they are selling 8K now so i don't PUKE the next time i see a large 4K

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MrMoo posted:

Tokyo 2020 Olympics? :lol:

too bad the satellite is going to compress it into 20 Mbit H.264 anyway

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The 4k Chromecast needs dedicated power and recommends a wired connection

Ain't got anything more to add just lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

abigserve posted:

The 4k Chromecast needs dedicated power and recommends a wired connection

Ain't got anything more to add just lol

good thing hdmi can do power and ethernet! lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

~Coxy posted:

too bad the satellite is going to compress it into 20 Mbit H.264 anyway

and then nbc is going to turn it into an unwatchable gong show

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

good thing hdmi can do power and ethernet! lol

is there a single consumer level device that implements ethernet over hdmi? it would be great to plug one device into the network and all other devices being connected via hdmi

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lmao you let your tv talk to the internet

what other internet of trash devices do you have in your house? a "smart" fridge??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angry_keebler posted:

like, why don't people just buy a 4k projector at that point? even if you use it as a full time tv replacement you'll come out ahead on bulbs vs the up front cost of buying some colossal nerd tv

projectors don't do great in anything other than a darkened room, and they take time to turn on and warm up, and they're noisy

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

complaining about smart TVs is so 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
i swore id never get a smart tv or connect a tv to the internet but I got a tcl roku tv and its is good?

• Locked thread