Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I can't even see the pixels on my 4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

how long until they're trying to sell screens with higher dpi than most printers?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what 8k content is there?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

akadajet posted:

probably the gui of the tv?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fart simpson posted:

probably the gui of the tv?

they aren't advertising the crisp menu ads so you know that's still being rendered at like 480

my tv (i own one) has ten eighty pees and it's fine? television

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my 4k blu ray player has a 480p upscaled UI

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty sure since lcd companies make all their money off phone screens this is just repurposing the same density as phone screens just at huge sizes

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i just saw 2001 a space odyssey in 70mm it was p dece

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Skim Milk posted:

i just saw 2001 a space odyssey in 70mm it was p dece

nice... I almost did like 5 years ago but went to lawrence of arabia instead

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

nice... I almost did like 5 years ago but went to lawrence of arabia instead

this theater is dropping all the kubrik films throughout the summer and I'm going to watch every single one with my cinephile sister :3:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I need to get the schedule for my local independent theater

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

akadajet posted:

Tokyo 2020 Olympics? :lol:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
look they need to sell something new about television so suburbanites can go into debt buying another new TV this year

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

obviously it’s to play the latest pc games at 8k60

video card combusts

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

video card combusts

gonna need 4 of those graphics cards that are way too expensive to maybe accomplish that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
looking forward to all the over 9000 memes when we finally hit double digit ks.

come on sony why not done??

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

home theater audio quality has been beyond human perception for a while now, it's about time the video has caught up.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

home theater audio quality has been beyond human perception for a while now, it's about time the video has caught up.

love it when people brag that their $300 vizio soundbar "has atmos"

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can't even see the pixels on my 4k

as long as you can't see the dead ones

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

NoneMoreNegative posted:

video card combusts

Isn't the new thing having 120 or 144fps on gaming? Then you can be a real Linus stud,

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Isn't the new thing having 120 or 144fps on gaming? Then you can be a real Linus stud,

extra smoove card flips in solitaire

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I just got Blade Runner 2049 bluray and it included a 4k version, but my TV doesn't do 4k.

If I get a 4k TV, 4K BD player and high speed HDMI cables, will the plot improve? Not sure.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

love it when people brag that their $300 vizio soundbar "has atmos"

now with 1" drivers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

now with 1" drivers

it has like 14 of them though

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
like, why don't people just buy a 4k projector at that point? even if you use it as a full time tv replacement you'll come out ahead on bulbs vs the up front cost of buying some colossal nerd tv

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most 4k projectors under 10 grand can't do actual 4k and projectors are a pain in the rear end, noisy and require maintenance so they've been relegated to grognard use

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

netwerk23 posted:

I just got Blade Runner 2049 bluray and it included a 4k version, but my TV doesn't do 4k.

If I get a 4k TV, 4K BD player and high speed HDMI cables, will the plot improve? Not sure.

I'm reporting this post. hope you enjoy your ban!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm still using a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD (no OLED, lovely cloudy backlighting in dark scenes). Works for me.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

MrMoo posted:

don't tvs already have like 600Hz? or is that something else I always thought it was dumb af cause no video stream is that high speed anyways so who cares

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

qirex posted:

most 4k projectors under 10 grand can't do actual 4k and projectors are a pain in the rear end, noisy and require maintenance so they've been relegated to grognard use

no 4k projectors are actually 4k. they literally dont make an image processor for them yet

we had a $30k laser projector in the office a while back and even it did simulated 4k

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

don't tvs already have like 600Hz? or is that something else I always thought it was dumb af cause no video stream is that high speed anyways so who cares

thats in panel interpolated marketing poo poo

only a few recent tv can take 1080p 120hz input and 4k 144hz 65" gsync monitors are coming soon

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

plasma displays can do 600hz but they don't really use it like youd think

running at 600hz means you can display 60fps or 24fps without any 2:3 pulldown

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
whats wrong with 120Hz

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

HDMI 2.1 includes support for variable refresh rate so no one needs to care about pulldown / judder ever again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Linguica posted:

HDMI 2.1 includes support for variable refresh rate so no one needs to care about pulldown / judder ever again
when it's finally properly implemented in the year 2050 or so we can finally breathe easy [after replacing all our equipment]

seriously though, the final test specs are like a year behind schedule at this point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

no 4k projectors are actually 4k. they literally dont make an image processor for them yet

we had a $30k laser projector in the office a while back and even it did simulated 4k

What resolution are the Dolby Xtreme XD Ultra THX Laser Digital Surround X-Fi Titanium projectors the theaters are always going on about

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

netwerk23 posted:

4k hdr looks loving weeeirrddd for like 5 minutes until you get used to it and then it just looks super good

my idiot sarnsung tv has to manually be set to allow hdr input though so i watched all of blade runner 2049 in sdr then went "hmm why does the option menu say "standard" in tiny letters?", so now ive got to watch it again which is ok because its a good film

also my tv updated and now shwos ads i nthe menu bar which loving blows and my br player also interrupts films to demand an update so that can go gently caress itself too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrMoo posted:

this is a shameful version of solitaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

What resolution are the Dolby Xtreme XD Ultra THX Laser Digital Surround X-Fi Titanium projectors the theaters are always going on about
they're legit 4k but I don't think they'll sell you these for your living room

quote:

The system consists of dual Christie 4K 6P (primary) modular laser projectors featuring a custom design to allow for unique light path. The system is capable of delivering up to 14 foot-lambert on unity-gain matte-white screens for 3D (and up to 31 foot-lambert for 2D), a substantial improvement on current generation 3D systems which deliver in the range of 3 to 4 foot-lambert for 3D. The result is improved brightness, color and contrast compared to traditional xenon projectors.

• Locked thread