Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

everdave posted:

Oh man that is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing wow! We would all love to hear what you got it for, who you went through and all that jazz but we all understand if you don't want to share. Fantastic!

I meant to reply to this days ago but I haven't had the time to tally up my various expenses to date so I could write a more expanded post.

For those that haven't been following along since the beginning and may not seen my earlier posts, the reason I imported this Delica was because I need to buy a car to keep up in Northern BC, and the Delica fit my vehicle requirements of 1. Needing to be offroad capable and 2. Needing to be able to carry more than five persons. (When you consider these requirements together I honestly struggle to come up with any vehicle other than a Delica, which helps to explain why they're so popular)

There are two shops in Vancouver BC that specifically import and repair Delicas, so I could have bought one from them, but I was curious enough about importing from Japan that it seemed like it would be fun to do it myself. Coincidentally this thread got made and it introduced me to JapanCarDirect, which seemed like a good option. There are companies in Vancouver that help import as well, but none of them seemed to be so open and accessible about directly viewing auctions as JCD.

The Delica I bought was 4 grade, B interior (no smoking car!) with 93km on the odometer. I got it for ¥445,000.

Various costs were pretty much in line with what I expected, with the exception of BC compliance costs which as I mentioned earlier I forgot about lol.

Total JPN side costs (Car, JCD fee, Freight, Insurance, Repairs, transportation): ~USD$7300
BC side import costs (taxes, duty etc): C$722
BC compliance: ~C$2600 (minor safety repairs, new lights & includes 5 brand new tires, which I would have bought anyway)
Further repairs: ???? (May be a good idea to replace the timing belt given that this car is going to live in rural the middle of nowhere)
Total so far: ~C$13370

You can buy a similar Delica from Rising Sun auto in Vancouver for ~C$13-15k so I haven't really saved any money here at all, but this whole experience has been fun and very informative. Given that this car is going to be up North, far away from niche Mitsubishi repairmen, I did feel it was worthwhile paying a bit more to get a car that was already in pretty good condition and I think I succeeded at that so I'm happy.

I wouldn't try to make a side hustle business out of importing Delicas to Vancouver as there are already two established operators capable of cutting out the middle men, and getting lights for compliance is clearly a pain. Costs associated with complying with the Out of Province Inspection were more than I thought. Potentially there is an opportunity to import some other niche car where getting the parts for compliance with the OOP inspection would be much easier and cheaper for laypersons like myself. Jeeps are popular here and Vancouver has the most expensive gas in North America, so I wonder if the Jimny could find a strong audience here. I may import one for fun to see what those costs come in at.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Cool man thanks for letting us know! That whole lights thing is insane to me!

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Nope

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 21, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
A good delica is probably going to be astronomically more than an estima/previa

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fermented Tinal posted:

2L? Not a 22R, those are 2.4L. 21Rs were 2L, but that'd be fuckin' weird under the hood of a Hilux. 18R swap maybe?

3Y, there on the chassis code.

My mistake, makes sense though. LiteAces share lots of guts with the Hilux.

MetaJew posted:

Any idea how much that MR2 will sell for? I have no idea how to read auction sites.

Considering they have the minimum bid set to just over 20k USD I'm guessing they want over 20k. It has under 3000 Mike's on it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Who can talk about buying a vehicle in person in Japan with the intent to export? As in literally walking up, handing over a wad of cash, and taking the thing away?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Femtosecond posted:

the Delica fit my vehicle requirements of 1. Needing to be offroad capable and 2. Needing to be able to carry more than five persons. (When you consider these requirements together I honestly struggle to come up with any vehicle other than a Delica, which helps to explain why they're so popular)

Pardon my ignorance of Canadian or PNW lifestyles, but what are y'all getting up to that these are the requirements? More than 5 people offroading? Is it like some bushcraft thing? Could you walk some of us through the activity that requires a 4wd van? Because I'm struggling to figure this out, and I could swear it was mentioned in the thread already.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Well, on the one hand in BC we have a lot of high mountain passes which in the USA would just close down and tell you to go the gently caress around, but we keep open in all conditions. 2wd in the ditch is a pretty common sight in the winter.

On the other hand we also have thousands of kilometres of forest service roads which haven't been maintained in twenty years and require a HC 4x4 to access. If you want to take 3 friends and their gear on a mountaineering expedition for a week, especially in the winter, a jeep just doesn't have the room.

It's basically Russia up here, yo.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Well, on the one hand in BC we have a lot of high mountain passes which in the USA would just close down and tell you to go the gently caress around, but we keep open in all conditions. 2wd in the ditch is a pretty common sight in the winter.

On the other hand we also have thousands of kilometres of forest service roads which haven't been maintained in twenty years and require a HC 4x4 to access. If you want to take 3 friends and their gear on a mountaineering expedition for a week, especially in the winter, a jeep just doesn't have the room.

It's basically Russia up here, yo.

I think most Americans realize that going on service roads in the winter in a harsh climate to do adventurous things sounds like a good way to end up having to eat one of your friends to stay alive.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Loanarn posted:

I think most Americans realize that going on service roads in the winter in a harsh climate to do adventurous things sounds like a good way to end up having to eat one of your friends to stay alive.

Or anytime between November to March in lots of Canada. You fucks are all making me want a Jimmy or something.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

BloodBag posted:

Pardon my ignorance of Canadian or PNW lifestyles, but what are y'all getting up to that these are the requirements? More than 5 people offroading? Is it like some bushcraft thing? Could you walk some of us through the activity that requires a 4wd van? Because I'm struggling to figure this out, and I could swear it was mentioned in the thread already.

BEATWEAVER already mentioned forest service roads. The more north and rural you go the more often a forest service road is the only road getting to where you want to go whether it's a popular lake for swimming or an obscure spot good for camping. My brother whom I'm buying this car with is a hunter and he will want to go to those more obscure places too.

Preparedness for winter driving conditions is another factor. Less quality snow clearing and deicing than urban places. Last time we were there we rented a Ford Explorer and lost traction on the main paved road due to ice. Fortunately my brother spent enough time driving in Quebec that handling a car in icy conditions is not an issue for him. Winter driving conditions and accidents are such an issue that the BC government has recently gone so far to make it illegal to not be using winter tires outside of Metro Vancouver in winter.

Finally my dumb brother has three children so hence the van thing lmao. I suppose if I was just getting something for myself I could have gotten a Jimny, but having all those extra chairs will probably be pretty great when my parents and friends visit and I can load everyone into one car.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 4, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Siochain posted:

You fucks are all making me want a Jimmy or something.

I feel that if a person doesn't want a Jimny, they're mistaken.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Flawless Town Ace van with Skylite roof

Low mileage Subaru Sambar van

These are extremely my poo poo. Do you know if Toyota makes a 4wd variant of the Town Ace? Any tips on reading those sheets to see if they are 4wd?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Townace came in RWD and 4WD, as to which this is, I dunno.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

savesthedayrocks posted:

These are extremely my poo poo. Do you know if Toyota makes a 4wd variant of the Town Ace? Any tips on reading those sheets to see if they are 4wd?

Do the AWD's have extra levers? Because that one doesn't.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

They did yeah, generally the van itself will say on it and will be mildly lifted. This specific Ace is just 2 wheel as it doesn't have the front manual locking hubs.
On the sheet there, in the upper right, there is that bit that says 2WD with 4WD underneath and sometimes they mark which one it is there. Chassis code will usually give it away too. If you ask for a translation they will tell you.

Edit
Also yeah it would have the low-range stick to the left of the transmission lever

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 4, 2018

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel that if a person doesn't want a Jimny, they're mistaken.

jimny<samurai

my brother had a samurai with twin air lockers etc etc, it was a serious off roader that looked like a toy

pictured with his other big work baby

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Femtosecond posted:

I meant to reply to this days ago but I haven't had the time to tally up my various expenses to date so I could write a more expanded post.

For those that haven't been following along since the beginning and may not seen my earlier posts, the reason I imported this Delica was because I need to buy a car to keep up in Northern BC, and the Delica fit my vehicle requirements of 1. Needing to be offroad capable and 2. Needing to be able to carry more than five persons. (When you consider these requirements together I honestly struggle to come up with any vehicle other than a Delica, which helps to explain why they're so popular)

There are two shops in Vancouver BC that specifically import and repair Delicas, so I could have bought one from them, but I was curious enough about importing from Japan that it seemed like it would be fun to do it myself. Coincidentally this thread got made and it introduced me to JapanCarDirect, which seemed like a good option. There are companies in Vancouver that help import as well, but none of them seemed to be so open and accessible about directly viewing auctions as JCD.

The Delica I bought was 4 grade, B interior (no smoking car!) with 93km on the odometer. I got it for ¥445,000.

Various costs were pretty much in line with what I expected, with the exception of BC compliance costs which as I mentioned earlier I forgot about lol.

Total JPN side costs (Car, JCD fee, Freight, Insurance, Repairs, transportation): ~USD$7300
BC side import costs (taxes, duty etc): C$722
BC compliance: ~C$2600 (minor safety repairs, new lights & includes 5 brand new tires, which I would have bought anyway)
Further repairs: ???? (May be a good idea to replace the timing belt given that this car is going to live in rural the middle of nowhere)
Total so far: ~C$13370

You can buy a similar Delica from Rising Sun auto in Vancouver for ~C$13-15k so I haven't really saved any money here at all, but this whole experience has been fun and very informative. Given that this car is going to be up North, far away from niche Mitsubishi repairmen, I did feel it was worthwhile paying a bit more to get a car that was already in pretty good condition and I think I succeeded at that so I'm happy.

I wouldn't try to make a side hustle business out of importing Delicas to Vancouver as there are already two established operators capable of cutting out the middle men, and getting lights for compliance is clearly a pain. Costs associated with complying with the Out of Province Inspection were more than I thought. Potentially there is an opportunity to import some other niche car where getting the parts for compliance with the OOP inspection would be much easier and cheaper for laypersons like myself. Jeeps are popular here and Vancouver has the most expensive gas in North America, so I wonder if the Jimny could find a strong audience here. I may import one for fun to see what those costs come in at.

Landcruiser Troopcarrier

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

gimpsuitjones posted:

Landcruiser Troopcarrier

Yeah I was going to say, aren't there any number of Landcruiser variants/Nissan Patrol etc which will seat 5 fine and have better aftermarket support/parts availabilty? I mean if you're hauling kids surely they can sit three abreast.

The Delica does look cool though and I guess is a lot more flexible inside.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Even a KZJ95 Prado is a (cramped) 7 seater and parts are a dime a dozen, and a better off-roader than a Delica

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

My mistake, makes sense though. LiteAces share lots of guts with the Hilux.

Shame that it has a 3Y, really. Prime candidate for a heart transplant.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Yeah Troopcarrier and Prado were both under consideration. I was looking at Prados on japan auctions for a bit though that option got vetoed by my brother because he had some bad experience with the engine of one of the models I was looking at. I don’t know if he was being irrational or not.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

The 2LT/2LTE is terrible and should be avoided entirely (head problems). There are thousands of them in NZ and most seem to have had head issues

1KZTE has a bit of a rep for cracking heads as well, mostly on automatic gearboxes. Nowhere near as much as the 2LT though, and seems to be fine if you keep up maintenance to the cooling system and put in an aftermarket trans cooler in if auto. There are tens of thousands of 1KZs in NZ and most of them are fine.

I don’t think Troopcarriers were ever jdm so may be hard to find ex Japan

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

gimpsuitjones posted:

The 2LT/2LTE is terrible and should be avoided entirely (head problems). There are thousands of them in NZ and most seem to have had head issues

1KZTE has a bit of a rep for cracking heads as well, mostly on automatic gearboxes. Nowhere near as much as the 2LT though, and seems to be fine if you keep up maintenance to the cooling system and put in an aftermarket trans cooler in if auto. There are tens of thousands of 1KZs in NZ and most of them are fine.

I don’t think Troopcarriers were ever jdm so may be hard to find ex Japan

He had a Hilux Surf in NZ and was scared about cracked heads so that sounds about right.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

SquirrelGrip posted:

jimny<samurai

my brother had a samurai with twin air lockers etc etc, it was a serious off roader that looked like a toy

pictured with his other big work baby

Samurais/Jimny Sierras are rare and when you do find them that aren't blown the gently caress out they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jimnys though are all over the place just begging to be imported. It's really just a 3 cyl Samurai anyway.

Femtosecond posted:

He had a Hilux Surf in NZ and was scared about cracked heads so that sounds about right.

I wonder about that though considering the temperature differences between Australia or New Zealand vs. Canada though. Also the other options are LiteAces, HiAces, and Pajeros. Pajero would really just be an SUV-bodied version of your Delica. Plus those Delica shops should be able to handle it no problem. Though, and none of them are as ~cool~ as a Delica so ultimately that would be the one to win.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I wonder about that though considering the temperature differences between Australia or New Zealand vs. Canada though. Also the other options are LiteAces, HiAces, and Pajeros. Pajero would really just be an SUV-bodied version of your Delica. Plus those Delica shops should be able to handle it no problem. Though, and none of them are as ~cool~ as a Delica so ultimately that would be the one to win.

Yeah one of the Delica shops is also a Pajero shop. Speaking of Pajero I saw for the first time ever last week a Pajero Jr.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

Yeah one of the Delica shops is also a Pajero shop. Speaking of Pajero I saw for the first time ever last week a Pajero Jr.

December 1994 my man, otherwise I'd be all over them. Have a long wait till they become USA-able.

I can't afford this but :swoon:

USS, low miles, looks flawless, manual transmission and AC. This motherfucker is going to sail north of 14k USD imho but we'll never actually know.

EDIT

Hey look at that:

EDIT EDIT

And here is a 4WD Town Ace complete with low mileage, front bullbar with fog lights and Skylite roof.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 5, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ooh that BJ73. Shame it’s not a 74 or I’d be talking to JCD right now

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Are you reaching the point where it’d be cheaper to import a good body/dead engine combo and swap the body onto yours?

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

KakerMix posted:

EDIT EDIT

And here is a 4WD Town Ace complete with low mileage, front bullbar with fog lights and Skylite roof.

Matt told me to bid as high as I could on this. It went for almost double that. :suicide:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

slothrop posted:

Are you reaching the point where it’d be cheaper to import a good body/dead engine combo and swap the body onto yours?

I dunno, mine isn’t really that bad, it would probably have been cheaper to sell it and replace before it failed a WOF on rust, but now that it has it’s gotta be fixed or it’s worth half as much to sell... and since the rust is mainly in bolt on panels it’s not terminal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mtmd posted:

Matt told me to bid as high as I could on this. It went for almost double that. :suicide:

Yeah I saw the final price this morning (659000 yen, just under 6k USD) but I'm not surprised. Grade 4, interior B, hella low miles and all the options people like (Skylite roof, diesel, 4x4) AND it's a Town Ace rather than the lower-trim LiteAces. I would not be surprised at all if this specific van shows up at Vanlife Northwest here in a month or so. With a 20K USD sticker :v:

These things always look so drat good.

EDIT

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 5, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I hate this thread. I want all the things.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seminal Flu posted:

Hella rad Nissans this week

EDIT

:rice:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 5, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm the passenger seat with built in drainage for how wet that makes me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

God. Damnit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
That Cherry and Sylvia remind me of those carnival rides with the cars and motorcycles that went around a carousel, and there was the fire truck with the light on top and the bell you could ring. The cars all had that super deep sparkle bass-boat paint too.

EDIT

Might as well keep going:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 5, 2018

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Seminal Flu posted:

I want:
Kei Truck

Honda City Turbo II

Suzuki Alto Works

and whatever the hell this is. I think it's a Japanese car

I'm seeing a pattern here

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Yeah I saw the final price this morning (659000 yen, just under 6k USD) but I'm not surprised. Grade 4, interior B, hella low miles and all the options people like (Skylite roof, diesel, 4x4) AND it's a Town Ace rather than the lower-trim LiteAces. I would not be surprised at all if this specific van shows up at Vanlife Northwest here in a month or so. With a 20K USD sticker :v:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-toyota-master-ace-surf/6617435841.html

There’s already a similar one up for 15k if someone wants it. So nice, I’m really getting tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress that Bluebird.