Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

homullus posted:

Played Earth Reborn and Memoir 44 last night, first time for each. I wanted to try something Commands & Colors-y before GMT does its 2015 annual summer sale in 2020; I liked it! Earth Reborn, wow: we only did the first scenario, but if the rest of it is that thoughtfully-constructed, I am really excited. The interaction of order tiles, command points, and character activation is super interesting, even at a rudimentary level.

Some of the scenarios for Memoir '44 demand to be played twice, because they are ridiculously unbalanced. The steam version has 20-80 matchup on some of the more unbalanced official scenarios. However, I still think it is a good introduction to the Command and Colors system. But C&C: Ancients and C&C: Napoleonics are definitely the best games in the Command and Colors series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

foutre posted:

Thanks! I couldn't find that page for the life of me.
No problem. I’m gonna buy it anyway because I have lots of disposable income and make poor choices. We can suffer or enjoy together.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

BattleLore 2nd Edition is also a pretty cool fantasy dorks C&C

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

A more concise description is that it's a Choose Your Own Adventure novel for up to four players.

...written by an advanced AI whose goal was avoiding player entertainment. There has never been a CYOA book where so little happened, and where your agency felt so pointless.

At the risk of that one guy "feeling sorry for me" again, the setting/narrative is excruciatingly bland and makes for a tedious, joyless experience. After we finished it, I skimmed through all the cards, and even the "big secrets" we could have found were all super underwhelming. Garbage.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Fort Sumter one of our guests brought this hot off the P500. Appreciate a GMT game that plays in 30 minutes. Only got to play twice as Unionist but the strategy of what Crisis Dimensions to go after was good. It's like a high speed version of Twilight Struggle. Not sure about the Final Crisis mechanic as that part of the game felt more random. A bunch of other guests played it during the week and enjoyed it.

I just picked this one up, along with 13 Days. Now I have more historically themed, 2-player, card-driven games to never play!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Have you actually played it? Note that this is not an aggressive question or attempting to bait you. I know that trusted second-hand info can be worthwhile to pass on, just curious. I think what you described is likely spot-on from what I've heard.

7th Continent is, on the surface, something I think I'd enjoy, and despite the negative association it has on TG and the admitted flaws, it is generally well-regarded (for what it is) elsewhere. I do believe that SVWAG did not like it, though, and I generally agree with them too.

Anyway, it's a moot point since I'm not in the position to buy a $100-150+ game that I'm vaguely interested in this month and it'll disappear forever afterward (apart from the secondary market, and lol no).

I backed 7th Continent, and kind of regret it. I got the base game, and tried out one of the curses solo. I got somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of they way through before getting bored with it and packed it up. I had the game set up on a table in my basement, and was able to play a couple of hours each night. I think I had played 6 hours or so when I gave up.

The problem is that they made the island too big. There are a lot of little minor challenges and puzzles just to make progress towards the goal. I made it to what looked like the final spot I needed to be at, only to find out I had to go looking for a pair of macguffins to complete the game. Luckily, the game gives you a vision to let you know where to go, so I cheated and looked at one location. It turned out to be an underground maze that was possibly as big as most of the island I had so far explored.

The fact that you have to keep looking for hunting/fishing locations to keep refilling your draw pile should have been a design red flag. I initially liked the puzzle of deciding which card to keep, and constructing items to make challenges easier. But it got stale quick. I couldn’t imagine trying to play this with other people. A second player might be okay, but anything more than that would probably be torture.

Finally, there seemed to be a lot of gotcha moments in the game. Obviously designed to trip up new players and force extra play throughs.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Have you actually played it? Note that this is not an aggressive question or attempting to bait you. I know that trusted second-hand info can be worthwhile to pass on, just curious. I think what you described is likely spot-on from what I've heard.

7th Continent is, on the surface, something I think I'd enjoy, and despite the negative association it has on TG and the admitted flaws, it is generally well-regarded (for what it is) elsewhere. I do believe that SVWAG did not like it, though, and I generally agree with them too.

Anyway, it's a moot point since I'm not in the position to buy a $100-150+ game that I'm vaguely interested in this month and it'll disappear forever afterward (apart from the secondary market, and lol no).

I'll admit I haven't--it's just that everything I've heard from people I trust has been incredibly negative, and the reasoning is always the same.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Earth Reborn is the sci-fi Gloomhaven no one gave a poo poo about for some reason.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 4, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Pandemic Legacy Season 1 May Spoilers: Well we completely ignored Roadblocks as a mechanic and had our first loss since January. Essen has fallen and we only really avoided the absolute worst of what could have happened because we decided the order the final chain outbreak happened in so that the game ended before the Fallen crossed the Pacific. I deliberately took a scar trying to keep things under control, but it was for naught. So, we lost pretty badly but we still had fun! Looking like we're going to have to start using permanent bases/roadblocks as our Game End upgrades, since we've run out of most of the basic ones.

This is a good game. We've officially made Mondays Pandemic Night, too! :toot:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Orvin posted:

The problem is that they made the island too big. There are a lot of little minor challenges and puzzles just to make progress towards the goal. I made it to what looked like the final spot I needed to be at, only to find out I had to go looking for a pair of macguffins to complete the game. Luckily, the game gives you a vision to let you know where to go, so I cheated and looked at one location. It turned out to be an underground maze that was possibly as big as most of the island I had so far explored.

The best part is when you enter that area, you shuffle away all the tiles you've explored. If you're lucky, you can end up re-exploring the same tiles 3 or more times in one play through. Thematic!

Even if exploring was enjoyable or interesting in some way, it'd be pretty painful the 3rd time through - and I can't imagine playing it again (and, to be clear, you'll be replaying much of the same content 2 or 3 more times on the next "curse"). It's like, imagine if Tales of the Arabian Nights had a 10 page book, and you hit the same encounters twice in your first play through (like everything was "imprisoned"). How keen would you be on playing again?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

BattleLore 2nd Edition is also a pretty cool fantasy dorks C&C

this is one of my favorite games period (with the expansions)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

golden bubble posted:

Some of the scenarios for Memoir '44 demand to be played twice, because they are ridiculously unbalanced. The steam version has 20-80 matchup on some of the more unbalanced official scenarios. However, I still think it is a good introduction to the Command and Colors system. But C&C: Ancients and C&C: Napoleonics are definitely the best games in the Command and Colors series.

I haven't played in a long time, but I recall that C&C:A has some scenarios which are almost impossible for one side to win due to historical imbalance. It's intentional, partly for authenticity but also as a handicapping system when you're teaching. In competition with an equal, you play them twice.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Founders or Gloomhaven trip report

Overall - combines some of the better features of Terra Mystica with some of the better features of Catan and makes a pretty good game.

We just did a learning game this afternoon. It took us about 4h to unbox, organize, learn, and play a game, which isn't too bad considering all things. We were playing in a board game cafe, and there was some random dude who had just moved to town, and we just invited him to play with us - so it wa a 3p game. He seemed like a cool dude, and he had never played any Eurogame before, and he picked it up at the same speed as the rest of us. That's a good sign when it comes to design.

Each player chooses a different faction, which is asymmetrical according to starting resources and special abilities. The game proceeds on an Action-follow system much like Twilight Imperium, Puerto Rico, or Tiny Epic Galaxies. The active player chooses a major action and everyone around the table gets an opportunity to execute a minor action. Players -may- expand those available options for either major or minor actions as the game progresses, which can happen either through the player's own actions or through the board state.

Those actions largely use different mechanics - some are worker placement, some are deckbuilding, some involve map infrastructure creation, some include bidding, and some involve resource trading. None of these are large enough to call it a game of that genre - it is not A Deck Builder and not A Worker Placement game, but it includes these mechanics. If I were forced to assign a genre it'd call it an economic area control game.

Much of what drives good and bad decisions is players' ability to apply "my teamwork" - the game unfolds according to cooperative principles, but you can only have one winner. Every player will supply resources that every player needs, but players earn points according to how much they contribute. Whenever a building is constructed, each faction gets "paid" down the resource supply chain in VP for the resources that went towards constructing that building. I ended up winning the game because I inserted myself as a middle man in other player's supply chains and leeched enough points here and there.

It has more player interaction than in most Eurogames. We were consistently loving each other over on the map to try to edge out advantageous positions and to find ways to make asymmetrical deals.

It's not all smiles and sunshine, however. There are eight factions, and of those six we agreed that the colours of the tiles or cubes or whatever were so close as to be difficult to distinguish in cases (magenta-purple everything, orange-brown and white-grey cards and tiles). There are tons of fiddly bits in the box which don't easily repack after punching, a la (but not as bad as) Gloomhaven. Some of the cards apparently refer to game mechanics by different terms which i guess were the beta or playtesting versions. The game concepts also have an interdependence which makes it hard to read, and the rule books have no effective summaries or cross references (particularly for the concept of "ownership"). I read several walls of text aloud before we started, and I kept having to go back repeatedly. There was one rules question (do players follow the "vote" action?) which I couldn't resolve in the book anywhere.

Anyone else play it yet?

Thanks for the Trip Report. My copy should arrive on Monday and I will play some solo games until our next meet up which should be in two weeks I hope.

The positive thinks seem to negate most of the negative things and I'm really looking forward to play it.

How hard/fiddly is the trickling down point system? It seems like the rule that will be the most difficult to explain.

In which weight category would you put the game?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LMAO GW really picking some champs

https://ninjadivision.com/info/news/article/doomseeker-launching-at-gencon

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dear god, Wizkids was bad enough but why the hell would they work with the tentacle rape shitshow that is Ninja Division?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks for the Trip Report. My copy should arrive on Monday and I will play some solo games until our next meet up which should be in two weeks I hope.

The positive thinks seem to negate most of the negative things and I'm really looking forward to play it.

How hard/fiddly is the trickling down point system? It seems like the rule that will be the most difficult to explain.

In which weight category would you put the game?

Ah yes. I forgot to post abou tthe trickle-down points.

The system is easy, but I think the pieces could have been better printed to make it easier. There were a few times that we stopped and went "errr err uh..."

I'm not a good judge of game weight, but let's try relatively... it's heavier than Dungeon Petz but lighter than Dominant Species? I've only played my learning game so far, so it hasn't really settled in. Maybe similar to A Feast for Odin, in that the cognitive load gets pushed up a bit by "man there are lots of bits in this game" effects.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

Founders or Gloomhaven trip report

Nice write up! I've got it punched and ready to go but haven't had time to sit down and learn it yet. I want to fumble through a 2p before grabbing a couple others to get a full on game going.

There does seem to be a few moving pieces and even when I was organising the components I was getting the impression that maybe the colour schemes could have been made to stand out a bit more.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

Nice write up! I've got it punched and ready to go but haven't had time to sit down and learn it yet. I want to fumble through a 2p before grabbing a couple others to get a full on game going.

There does seem to be a few moving pieces and even when I was organising the components I was getting the impression that maybe the colour schemes could have been made to stand out a bit more.

Oh that reminds me - I'll add this (and my other "oh yeah," above) to the original post-

The rules were not clear that each player gets an identical starting deck - Construction, Recruit &c. In a 2p game that adds "Income." For learning it's a lot like Terra Mystica - it seems opaque until the concepts of ownership, connectivity, and delivery all click, and once you are able to interpret the various symbols on the cards (on "Trade" especially, but the # symbol used to denote $ was also a culprit here) it rapidly becomes pretty clear.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Ah yes. I forgot to post abou tthe trickle-down points.

The system is easy, but I think the pieces could have been better printed to make it easier. There were a few times that we stopped and went "errr err uh..."

I'm not a good judge of game weight, but let's try relatively... it's heavier than Dungeon Petz but lighter than Dominant Species? I've only played my learning game so far, so it hasn't really settled in. Maybe similar to A Feast for Odin, in that the cognitive load gets pushed up a bit by "man there are lots of bits in this game" effects.

Thanks a bunch. My group has no Problems with AFfO so I'm less worried to bring Founders to the table. Plus they want to get that Gloomhaven City event.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

oh my goodness

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neat! :haw:
Earth Reborn was clearly a labor of love, so much work obviously went into it. A 2nd Ed or expansion would be amazing but would be a big thing to decide to bite back down into for the designer.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

CommonShore posted:

It's not all smiles and sunshine, however.

So now, less than three years later, you can go up on a steep hill in the Copperneck Mountains and look South, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the hype wave finally broke and rolled back

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm quietly hoping nothing comes from that. Turning ER into another hosed up Kickstarter would break my heart :ohdear:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

CSI is having a 4th of July sale. It's almost entirely Heroclix and Magic cards, but there are a few board games, including an insanely discounted Porta Nigra, a perfectly fine heavy point salad game with all the needless complexity one expects from a recent Euro.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2663

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I hosed up and went to Toronto, coming back with Decrypto, Codenames Duet, Deception, Morels, Sushi Go Party, and the latest Unlock! series, when already my bookshelf is absolutely full of games that I barely have time to play in the first place.

On the plus side, none of them were more than $30 so I guess that's...good?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Morpheus posted:

I hosed up and went to Toronto, coming back with Decrypto, Codenames Duet, Deception, Morels, Sushi Go Party, and the latest Unlock! series, when already my bookshelf is absolutely full of games that I barely have time to play in the first place.

On the plus side, none of them were more than $30 so I guess that's...good?

Nothing wrong with those my friend! Decrypto and Unlock are the only ones I haven't played, the rest are solid. Morels is quite cute and is super duper cozy. I almost only want to save it for the Fall because it fits the season so well.

Did you do 401 or Meeplemart? I wish BGB wasn't in Scartown or else I'd be in there more often.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Nothing wrong with those my friend! Decrypto and Unlock are the only ones I haven't played, the rest are solid. Morels is quite cute and is super duper cozy. I almost only want to save it for the Fall because it fits the season so well.

Did you do 401 or Meeplemart? I wish BGB wasn't in Scartown or else I'd be in there more often.

401 - I like going to the board game lounge there with friends when I visit, tends to have pretty good selection (this time I played Morels with my gf, then went downstairs and grabbed the game itself).

I'm going to be interested in seeing the new location, it'll be much closer to the place I stay at when I'm there!

Never played Decrypto, but my friend kept raving about it so I had to check it out.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I'll also rave about Decrypto. It's like the tragedy looper of clever word team games. I'm still trying to solidify a good teaching script for it, though. my last teach went ok, but they were comp-sci students so i got a free pass on that one.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Managed to get a five player game of Bull Moose together on Monday and won as the Prohibition Party with only 5 states. (thanks Electoral College). Really fun and barely 80 minutes with teaching. Now looking to get Divided Republic (their 1860 election) played as well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyone getting in on the second edition of Ground Floor? BGG is doing the Spielworxx NA distribution now so it's available on their site: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255659/ground-floor-second-edition

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Citadels, of all things, has us hooked. I can imagine the waiting is terrrrrrrrible at more than two players, but as a 2p-only game it's a lot more fun than I expected.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

T-Bone posted:

Anyone getting in on the second edition of Ground Floor? BGG is doing the Spielworxx NA distribution now so it's available on their site: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255659/ground-floor-second-edition

I am, we enjoyed the first one well enough.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh yeah so over the weekend I played some Tzolkin. I...really did not like it. At all.

There were some elements I liked in it. The way the worker placement worked, the spinning rondels, the setting up actions to perform later in the game, all that stuff was cool. The actual mechanics outside of that simply weren't fun for 2 out of the 3 people at the table.

Farms, for example - I don't know why they're in the game. They're the best building, without a doubt, making it easier to get more workers, and if you get certain farms, negating the entire concept of feeding entirely. This means that if you don't get farms, you are crippled for the entire game, as you're just trying to get corn nonstop, or you suffice with three workers. I

We stopped playing close to the 3/4 mark of the game, just absolutely uninterested in continuing. The puzzle of coordinating your worker placement such that you could chain pulling them off in one fell swoop to get a bunch of synergistic actions was cool, but the actions themselves just felt so boring, and that's weird because I love worker placement games, usually ones about farming and stuff. I just have absolutely no interest in playing this one again - I think it's the only time we grabbed a game from the shelf of a board game cafe, interested in playing it, and didn't actually finish.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
A friend of mine says (and I agree) playing Tzolkin is like going to Disneyland, standing in line forever, finally getting to the front of the line and then going to another line for a different ride instead. I dislike it quite a bit.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Huxley posted:

Citadels, of all things, has us hooked. I can imagine the waiting is terrrrrrrrible at more than two players, but as a 2p-only game it's a lot more fun than I expected.

The new rebalanced version of Citadels is actually really good. Just don't play it with more than four.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Pierzak posted:

I'm quietly hoping nothing comes from that. Turning ER into another hosed up Kickstarter would break my heart :ohdear:

hosed up as in not successful or ducked up as in loads of tacked on KS exclusives?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Media Bloodbath posted:

hosed up as in not successful or ducked up as in loads of tacked on KS exclusives?
The latter. It'd be like having the cool band you loved in your youth become corporate sellouts.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lorini posted:

I am, we enjoyed the first one well enough.

I've never played it. Would you mind giving a rundown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Pierzak posted:

The latter. It'd be like having the cool band you loved in your youth become corporate sellouts.

I don't mind him making more money and the game getting the exposure it deserves. I'll still cherish my original edition though.
His living Planet Kickstarter wasn't extraordinarily bloated so I think he'd find a good middle ground.