Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

It owns that only two QBs have pulled it off, and the only one to do it B2B was Smokin' Jay

I don't understand what you mean by this? It looks like there are a lot of teams that have pulled it off, certainly the same journeyman QB wasn't responsible for all of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Twice. The word missing there was twice.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wrong thread

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

Does anyone know a good source of historical fantasy data, pairing pre-season predictions/rankings with actual end-of-season results, over many years?

If we find a suitable source I'll make some pretty pictures and calculate some numbers for the thread.

Apparently fantasydata.com has this for 2014-2017, although the source of their projections is entirely unclear.

Anyone know of another source? Preferably free?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me the top Catholic fantasy player? Or at least a player who went to a catholic high school?

It's for an article series I'm writing where I face the most bigoted people of all time and whoever wins gets to rule the world.

Ferdinand and Isabella are on the clock, and they will only pick a Catholic

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 2, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Rivers, Brady, Big Ben the Born Again?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Thanks! It's a 2qb league so those are really helpful.

Looks like Christian McCaffrey went to a catholic hs too

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'm also worried about Ayn Rand's team. Originally she was supposed to only pick players who hadn't received scholarships (BOOTSTRAPS), but she picked Jordy and AB84 and i can't find another player. Suggestions on a way to loosen her restriction would be greatly appreciated.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
UFDA's maybe? Shittons of them.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

UFDA's maybe? Shittons of them.

I love this. It fits the bootstraps motif

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Leperflesh posted:

except kickers and D/STs should be taken in the final two rounds of your draft, if you're forced to take them during the draft at all, so your QB1 or evne your QB2 in a 1QB team should be taken before them, always.

I actually advocate grabbing top kickers and DSTs a round or two earlier than that since 1) by those late rounds it's all fliers who are the first to get swapped for waiver picks and 2) grabbing a top tier kicker and DST can be great "tie-breakers" for playoffs and whatnot.

Oddly enough the "don't grab kickers or DST until final rounds" mantra tends to stick with folks a lot more than "don't draft QBs early," so I tend to try and grab a top kicker and DST early since that's a pretty predictable pattern there. Although there was always that one person who'd draft Seattle DST in like round 8 during the Legion of Boom days.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Defense (and a couple kickers) for more than $1 have become the new market inefficiency in our auction draft, but obviously that's way different than a snake draft. I was way high on the Jags defense last season and got them for $1 with an early nomination while the Broncos went for $5 and the Cardinals went for $4.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Amergin posted:

I actually advocate grabbing top kickers and DSTs a round or two earlier than that since 1) by those late rounds it's all fliers who are the first to get swapped for waiver picks and 2) grabbing a top tier kicker and DST can be great "tie-breakers" for playoffs and whatnot.

Oddly enough the "don't grab kickers or DST until final rounds" mantra tends to stick with folks a lot more than "don't draft QBs early," so I tend to try and grab a top kicker and DST early since that's a pretty predictable pattern there. Although there was always that one person who'd draft Seattle DST in like round 8 during the Legion of Boom days.

In a 15 round draft I'll check and see who is taken and who is available starting in round 13 (of a 15 round draft). If it's wide open (say, over half of the league has no kicker or DST) then I'll take the K/DST in 13 and 14 because everyone will start in round 14. This way I will get who I want to start the season with (a streaming DST with 3 or 4 good matchups) instead of getting just an ok streamer that I'll want to ditch after a week or two. You'll still have a bunch of fliers available to you in round 15 because people will take their K/DST then

the real answer is to not draft a kicker or dst if you can help it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have not been paying much attention to this offseason at all and have a question. I know Demarco Murray is a free agent but he has to get picked up by someone right? Have him in dynasty, and my RB group is probably the weakest. I've got Kareem Hunt and Derrick Henry, but it's pretty bad after that with Murray and T. Riddick being the next best options.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry if I keep pestering the thread with questions about my dynasty team, but the off-season is slow and I think about fantasy football non-stop.

Do I need to make a trade for a RB, or do I stick it out as is? My picks for this year's rookie draft are: 1.02, 2.08, 3.08.

Here is my team after trades/cuts.

RCarr posted:

1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX. It's a dynasty league with a 25 man roster with 3 IR slots. $250 salary cap. Player salaries increase by $1 or 10% each year (whichever is higher). Here's my roster, with this year's salary next to each.

QB
P. Rivers - 2
J. Goff - 3
A. Luck - 13
RB
M. Ingram - 11
D. Lewis - 2
R. Burkhead - 4
T. Montgomery - 10
WR
A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2
D. Funchess - 2
TE
H. Henry - 3
E. Ebron - 2

I will obviously be taking a RB with the 1.02 pick. I also will be able to throw Henry and Ingram on IR as soon as the draft is over, and pick up two waiver RB lottery tickets if that matters.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I would personally try to see what RB Robby Anderson and/or Michael Crabtree could get you because honestly just that caliber of RB would be immensely more useful to your team

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RCarr posted:

I also will be able to throw Henry and Ingram on IR as soon as the draft is over,

Ingram isn't IR eligible. He's suspended, not injured. That may screw with your plans.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Ingram isn't IR eligible. He's suspended, not injured. That may screw with your plans.

The way the league is set up right now suspended players are eligible to go on IR.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wilson as QB2 is madness.

Anyone else surprised by some of these early rankings? Mahomes over a bunch of reliable QBs, Zeke behind DJ, Barkley ahead of Fournette... I realize I probably am not thinking these through, this is just first impressions.

e. Julio is 4th, but Matty Ice is 14th?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

It actually makes sense to me, but depends in large part on his rushing upside.

quote:

Anyone else surprised by some of these early rankings? Mahomes over a bunch of reliable QBs, Zeke behind DJ, Barkley ahead of Fournette... I realize I probably am not thinking these through, this is just first impressions.

e. Julio is 4th, but Matty Ice is 14th?
Some of those are crazy to me. Mahomes and Handsome Jimmy stand out.

Zeke behind DJ is about the receiving upside, but I definitely wouldn't have him on a different tier.

Julio vs Matty Ice is about yardage vs TDs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Anyone else surprised by some of these early rankings? Mahomes over a bunch of reliable QBs

JOIN US

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Mahomes is getting drafted with zero discount and I'm here for it to collapse spectacularly

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Mahomes is getting drafted with zero discount and I'm here for it to collapse spectacularly

please dont wish bad things upon the cool qb

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Ignore regression. The Kamara hype train is real!!!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Do you guys think the past PPR projections (2014-2017) at this site are reasonable reflections of consensus PPR projections for those years?

https://fantasydata.com/nfl-stats/fantasy-football-weekly-projections?season=2016&seasontype=1&scope=1&scoringsystem=2&startweek=1&endweek=1

I've done some analysis and the outcome is that the projections are very bad. Worse than I expected. Yet, when I look at the lists, they looked reasonable. Is there some problem with the projections that I'm missing?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Keenan Allen is gonna be a top 3-5 WR in PPR if he doesn't die :sludgepal:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1013923920804708352

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Keenan Allen is gonna be a top 3-5 WR in PPR if he doesn't die :sludgepal:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1013923920804708352

Nope. It’s Mike Williams time

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

Do you guys think the past PPR projections (2014-2017) at this site are reasonable reflections of consensus PPR projections for those years?

https://fantasydata.com/nfl-stats/fantasy-football-weekly-projections?season=2016&seasontype=1&scope=1&scoringsystem=2&startweek=1&endweek=1

I've done some analysis and the outcome is that the projections are very bad. Worse than I expected. Yet, when I look at the lists, they looked reasonable. Is there some problem with the projections that I'm missing?

Like any type of gambling it’s nearly impossible to accurately guess the outcome of sporting events.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

Defense (and a couple kickers) for more than $1 have become the new market inefficiency in our auction draft, but obviously that's way different than a snake draft. I was way high on the Jags defense last season and got them for $1 with an early nomination while the Broncos went for $5 and the Cardinals went for $4.

While I am the staunchest advocate for "don't nominate a drat kicker early, that advice is ridiculous," my auction league has a tequila shot penalty for any procedural errors or ridiculous overbids (a penalty that often spirals out of control if you don't watch yourself.) So it has been a fun "strategy" to nominate kickers early for 1, then everyone waits with baited breath until some unassuming or drunk person bids $2 then we all jump up and down and chant "take a shot!"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Drunk Nerds posted:

While I am the staunchest advocate for "don't nominate a drat kicker early, that advice is ridiculous," my auction league has a tequila shot penalty for any procedural errors or ridiculous overbids (a penalty that often spirals out of control if you don't watch yourself.) So it has been a fun "strategy" to nominate kickers early for 1, then everyone waits with baited breath until some unassuming or drunk person bids $2 then we all jump up and down and chant "take a shot!"

This would be EXACTLY the league where it's beneficial to nominate early.. for other positions you'll always have the chance to bid up, but if people hesitate to bid over $1, then you want the best $1 player.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

This would be EXACTLY the league where it's beneficial to nominate early.. for other positions you'll always have the chance to bid up, but if people hesitate to bid over $1, then you want the best $1 player.

Eh It’s a high money league where at least 10/14 owners have researched everything. It’s a lot easier to catch the few unrehearsed in a $1 overbid than it is to slip a sleeper out early in a crowd where at least 25% of the owners are also in love with that sleeper.

Also, best case scenario: you get the best $1 player, as you put it. Meh, I’d rather work the body by nominating buster tier 2rbs and then get a top 12rb for market value instead of 5%+ more than market value. Then I can spend that $5 savings outbidding people for my two favorite $1 players

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One of my new auction tips is to observe if more people are nominating scrub buster WRs or rbs, then do the thing that the majority are doing, Nominating players at a specific position that are high value (that you hate) stacks: The more people doing it, the sooner peoples slots get filled and bank goes down, maximizing the value for the remaining people

Don’t discuss this strategy beforehand, obv, that’s collusion and is wrong. But just sit back and read the flow.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 3, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Derek Carr below Bort, how the mighty have fallen

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, in a 10 man league. Where's the drafting sweet spot?

We've got 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, etc. But we are ADDING a Flex. So, that'll make things interesting. Get the #3 spot (highest I can grab) and take David Johnson/Gurley and settle for a lesser RB (McCoy/Freeman) or WR (Devante Adams, Michael Thomas), or choose later in the draft and get 2 higher tier options (Melvin Gordon + Julio or whatever)?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well let me just get this out there now for the new season as the first guy to start giving 89 poo poo:

"It doesn't matter, 89, because by week 3 you'll have traded every guy you drafted away anyway"

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
True.

....but those first 2-3 picks usually stick around.

.....usually :ninja:

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

89 posted:

So, in a 10 man league. Where's the drafting sweet spot?

We've got 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, etc. But we are ADDING a Flex. So, that'll make things interesting. Get the #3 spot (highest I can grab) and take David Johnson/Gurley and settle for a lesser RB (McCoy/Freeman) or WR (Devante Adams, Michael Thomas), or choose later in the draft and get 2 higher tier options (Melvin Gordon + Julio or whatever)?

10 man leagues it doesn’t matter. Plenty of talent to go around the entire draft.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I see someone activated the 20-team goon league on ESPN. No new thread yet, though. Who's commish this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

I see someone activated the 20-team goon league on ESPN. No new thread yet, though. Who's commish this year?

Darkwolf is the new commish. He should have a thread open by the weekend.