Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

what the gently caress? i thought doomsday preppers was about building bunkers or such, but instead its about wanking about all the starving urban scum you can murder with your landmines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i like how the "gun expert" of the duo had his earmuffs sitting with the band behind his head thinking that if he just put his hand over it that'll block out the sound of a rifle fired inside an enclosed space

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

what the gently caress? i thought doomsday preppers was about building bunkers or such, but instead its about wanking about all the starving urban scum you can murder with your landmines?

it's people who read soldier of fortune and turner diaries and got hornt up for rahowa

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There are survivalist people who emphasize living off the land, self-sustainability, and practical, non-weapon-related skills, but they kind of get overshadowed by the people who have bunkers full of AR15s and are real hot and bothered about shooting looters

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The AR is the 90s Civic of guns.

Cheap, practical, versatile, crazy aftermarket, fetishized by morons.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pirate Radar posted:

There are survivalist people who emphasize living off the land, self-sustainability, and practical, non-weapon-related skills, but they kind of get overshadowed by the people who have bunkers full of AR15s and are real hot and bothered about shooting looters

My favorite part of the Malheur occupation was all those loving self-sufficient, antigovernment dickheads had to beg folks to send food over the Internet.

Survivalists my rear end.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You know how in zombie movies the zombies are a metaphor for the unthinking vapidity of the sheeple?

Preppers are the guys who watch them and pray for the apocalypse to come.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

You know how in zombie movies the zombies are a metaphor for the unthinking vapidity of the sheeple?

Preppers are the guys who watch them and pray for the apocalypse to come.

Also, for preppers the zombies aren't a metaphor for anything, they're just black people.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Perestroika posted:

Also, for preppers the zombies aren't a metaphor for anything, they're just black people.

That's a bit much. I assume that there's also some brown people mixed in too.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Testekill posted:

That's a bit much. I assume that there's also some brown people mixed in too.

Do you think they see a difference.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Perestroika posted:

I'm pretty sure that from some people I have known in the past it could apply to the ATF/FBI/CIA as well, except those people shoot back.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I love everything about this.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1014279612178796544

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

I'm pretty sure Garfield creator Scott Adams is right about this, guys.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Polygynous posted:

There's already semi-intentionally hilarious reality shows, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOog45llUU

The show also led to some nice schadenfreude.

One of their subjects basically bragged that when the poo poo hits the fan - he's gonna be Negan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3PQJ9PHLY

Forgetting that when you're not legally allowed to own guns, bragging about your post apocalyptic jerk off fantasy on TV wasn't that smart.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/buckley-man-doomsday-preppers-arrested-illegal-fir/82210762

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Polygynous posted:

I'm pretty sure Garfield creator Scott Adams is right about this, guys.

Dilbert. Jim Davis isn't crazy like that, as far as I know.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Jim Davis is, by all accounts that I've read, a remarkably down to earth dude who just happened to stumble into a multi-million dollar IP and decided to roll with it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Dilbert. Jim Davis isn't crazy like that, as far as I know.

Business Garfield.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

That's the one where the animals are at the office. Dilbert is just a knockoff of BOFH.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Does it really matter if we credit the creator of Marmaduke wrong?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

EdithUpwards posted:

That's the one where the animals are at the office. Dilbert is just a knockoff of BOFH.

i'm genuinely shocked that nobody has ever adapted bofh to any other format

i guess the it crowd was an attempt at a softer, gentler bofh adaptation but that totally misses the point

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The point of BOFH is that the BOFH was the only person there with a real job and that, while he was a complete poo poo, everyone there was worse, right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

EdithUpwards posted:

The point of BOFH is that the BOFH was the only person there with a real job and that, while he was a complete poo poo, everyone there was worse, right?

it's multi-layered

everyone at his company is a corporate moron, which makes his blatant criminality funny instead of repulsive; but he's also the perfect example of the tech industry's predilection for setting themselves up as sociopathic god-kings and viewing normies with disdain

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Keeshhound posted:

Jim Davis is, by all accounts that I've read, a remarkably down to earth dude who just happened to stumble into a multi-million dollar IP and decided to roll with it.

He didn't stumble into it. Garfield is carefully, precisely engineered to be milquetoast mass-market appeal and sell as many books, dolls, coffee mugs, and calendars to milquetoast mass consumers as possible.

EDIT: He has absolutely zero emotional attachment to his IP unless you're actually violating his copyright and costing him money, which is why he thought "Garfield Minus Garfield" was pretty cool, then monetized it asap.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He didn't stumble into it. Garfield is carefully, precisely engineered to be milquetoast mass-market appeal and sell as many books, dolls, coffee mugs, and calendars to milquetoast mass consumers as possible.

EDIT: He has absolutely zero emotional attachment to his IP unless you're actually violating his copyright and costing him money, which is why he thought "Garfield Minus Garfield" was pretty cool, then monetized it asap.

Yes! When he went to start, he figured that there was not enough cat comic strip around, so he made cat comic strip. This because he worked on comics before, but one was someone else strip and the other was his own but never went beyond home area. People tell him his stuff too not relatable to get big, so that when he decide to make relatable and develop Garfield.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

EDIT: He has absolutely zero emotional attachment to his IP

i dunno he kinda let us in on his personal life a little bit with the strip where jon drinks a coffee mug full of dog jizz

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My point was that he doesn't have delusions of being a "master persuader" or whatever new horseshit Adams has going on right now.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
What about when Jon and Odie were revealed to be hallucinations while Garfield slowly starved to death in a condemned house?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Keeshhound posted:

He’s pretty chummy with Mike Pence.:(

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Did I miss the civil war? It's been raining here, was it postponed?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Polygynous posted:

Did I miss the civil war? It's been raining here, was it postponed?

yea we won it's cool

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1014657212289933313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Man who literally advocates for genocide thinks GOP still has a ways to go yet before it's up to his standards.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He did?

SeANMcBAY posted:

He’s pretty chummy with Mike Pence.:(

Given the kind of comics he makes, I can (sadly) totally see that.

Meh, Heathcliff was the superior cat based comic/t.v. show anyway.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ErIog posted:

Yeah, laziness is a better explanation than anything else. There's lots of indefensible conservatives on wingnut welfare. She thought she could just cash out and coast. She couldn't keep up with the grind. We make fun of these idiots because they make a living doing so little, but there is a work ethic required to play the game.

She had an hour slot on Fox News that she completely squandered. Instead of trying to book her own tour she could have just ran the conservative/evangelical speaker circuit. She could have diversified into radio and probably gotten a national show.

From a few pages ago, but I posted similar thoughts a few years ago when Palin was a still a thing. There were two things that stuck out to me.

The first was that Hannity was the main program she used to be on, and I as stunned how she couldn't even form two proper sentences even on a friendly outlet. I thought, if nothing else, Hannity would have practice rehearsals, feeding her the questions (and answers) before they went live. I was almost impressed by the idea that Hannity didn't think to go that far. Or maybe he did, but Palin was so goddamned lazy and incompetent, that it would just be a waste of time.

The second big grift she was working on was that weird youtube channel thing where people could listen to her speak for an hour a week for the low, low price of $99/yr.! Then when I saw the actual "content", I was utterly flabbergasted by how half-assed everything was. The video was hilariously low res and probably came from a goddamned webcam and the audio had no actual microphone and was speaking basically into the computer speakers. But none of that compared to Palin's actual performance. She was so completely out of it, that words can't describe it. "Lazy" and "uninterested" would be understatements. She was commenting on something Obama said and was trying to get mad at it, but you could tell her heart wasn't really in it.

It's just all so fascinating in a way. She had one of the easiest grifts in history, but she was so undisciplined that she couldn't even bother bilking rubes.

By the way, it just occurred to me that I haven't heard much about Palin since Trump got elected.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

By the way, it just occurred to me that I haven't heard much about Palin since Trump got elected.

She was already dead before the 2016 election as people realized she couldn’t even be arsed to generate lovely content for that web channel and her rare public appearances were increasingly incoherent (like way worse than during her VP run).

Her status as a political figure already died out when she teased a 2012 run and then didn’t do it. Remember the bus tour? The flameout of even her reality TV and web career and the spectacle of her redneck family brawls put the final nails in.

Remember that at the start of the 2016 cycle she was only worth a cheap endorsement to one of the GOP candidates and that was teased, with her meeting with Trump in NYC over pizza or whatever.

She made an appearance for/with him, I believe it was in Iowa, which was an embarrassing mess, and Trump tossed her in the bin after that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Marxism_Wokeism/status/1014869233157713921

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Not only was her content lazy but Palin didn't even keep it up that long. If memory serves she just plain quit making content then just reran things. That eventually even became too much effort and the channel went dead. She coulndt even be assed to talk at a camera for an hour a week.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah it was really zero effort. The tiny bit of “content” she did generate was like her sitting in her kitchen in sweats with a glass of wine in front of a webcam just rambling.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Zwabu posted:

She made an appearance for/with him, I believe it was in Iowa, which was an embarrassing mess, and Trump tossed her in the bin after that.

Trump's expression when she was speaking was magnificent. EVEN TRUMP realized almost immediately that she shouldn't be allowed anywhere near his campaign again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1014926823443058689

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
You only make up rules to live your life by if you're having trouble doing them.

Rule 10: Be precise in your speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Man, DeVoe is lookn’ really sad and rough after the Flash kicked the crap outta him this year.