Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
luke pointed a revolver at sleeping kylo's head, cocked it... and then changed his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Billy Dee Williams cannot come to the Sasketchewan Entertainment Expo due to a conflict with his filming schedule. This brought up the speculation that Lando is going to be in Episode 9.

https://www.facebook.com/SaskExpo/photos/a.1432925206993414.1073741829.1384390905180178/2154024738216787/?type=3&theater

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Legitimately never noticed that the ESB crawl refers to two distinct groups, "the rebellion" and the "freedom fighters", and also never put 2+2 together and realized that Luke is already Rogue One. Thanks SMG.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's really dense, every image is so dense.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The actor that played Jar Jar Binks considered suicide after getting so much hate mail (including death threats for "ruining a childhood")

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44708983

Imagine being that angry about a children's movie about space wizards that you'd threaten someone's life lol

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Quote-Unquote posted:

The actor that played Jar Jar Binks considered suicide after getting so much hate mail (including death threats for "ruining a childhood")

Imagine being that angry about a children's movie about space wizards that you'd threaten someone's life lol

Fandom is a mental disorder.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

Fandom is a mental disorder.

It really is.

There's being a fan and there's being in a fandom, I reckon.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 4, 2018

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Bongo Bill posted:

I just take issue with the particular verbiage that Luke "tried" to kill him. He wanted to kill Ben, and that's the part that's a big deal. (He also regretted wanting it, and to hear him describe it he only wanted it briefly.) But the reason Ben survived that night isn't because Luke failed at murdering. To say that he failed at carrying out his intention is to misunderstand that the intention itself was the failure. The movie itself is written so that the intention, and by extension the mentality that made it possible, was the only failure.

In that case, I think we're saying the same thing and just quibbling over the proper syntax. My point has also been that he sees his aborted action as the true failure. He took the step and stopped just short of carrying it to its final conclusion. In my eyes, Luke was trying to murder him. In yours, it isn't. Either way, that moment of wanting to kill Ben in his sleep and acting on it, despite stopping himself, is exactly the crux of Luke's depression and self imposed isolation. It was his personal failing that haunts Luke so much more than any repercussions from it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kazoo Reverb posted:

Edit: what is this Sheev poo poo

What's wrong with discussing a major Star Wars character in the Star Wars thread?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Kazoo Reverb posted:

Edit: what is this Sheev poo poo

The name? I think it’s some poo poo EU poo poo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

brawleh posted:

The personal is political, in the sense that the story Luke tells himself about himself, his “authentic inner self” contrast with his actions - this is characterised in much the same way as the story he tells about the fall of the Republic and the Jedi. That this is then repeated with an over-emphasis of concern and rationalisations for Luke’s “authentic” inner journey as the truly important part that, rather than confronting the actual actions he took, is telling.

Hence the stupid jump to legal frameworks in order to obfuscate the truth of what happened, along with granting Luke a precogniant omnisense to rationalise his actions. When the truth is he had a bad feeling about Ben not buying into his bullshit

Right, exactly.

To use a better analogy than this ‘attempted murder’ thing, Luke is more directly analogous to Sgt. Powell from Die Hard:

“I [chopped] a kid. He was 13 years old. Oh it was dark, I couldn't see him. He had a ray gun, looked real enough. You know, when you're a rookie, they can teach you everything about bein' a [Jedi] except how to live with a mistake. Anyway, I just couldn't bring myself to draw my [lightsaber] on anybody again."

People are consequently debating whether Luke is a racist cop - either saying he was just ‘instinctively’ following his training or, no, he deliberately shot that kid because he’s evil. This logic can culminate in, like, going frame-by-frame to analyze gestures and microexpressions, trying to detect Luke’s hidden intentions. (Maybe Luke can display that cops are still good, by heroically saving John McClane at the the end?)

The truth is that this doesn’t matter; racism is an ideology and it is systemic in the police. Sgt. Powell is racist regardless of his intentions, or even regardless of whether he even pulled the trigger.

Luke’s Jedi school did in fact retain all the same failings as the previous one, so Kylo did a Chris Dorner. It wasn’t just one tiny instantaneous event that ruined things; Kylo had been increasingly critical of the Jedi for a long time. Luke simply thought he could ignore the problems - stick to the system and hope Ben conforms.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 4, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sponges posted:

The name? I think it’s some poo poo EU poo poo

Nah, Palpatine never received a first name in the old EU. "Sheev" comes from he new Canon.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Ahmed best is a artist and people who gave him poo poo should be shot in the neck

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't even imagine being so mad that a movie was bad you bully someone to near suicide

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

Nah, Palpatine never received a first name in the old EU. "Sheev" comes from he new Canon.

I don’t recall it being said in any of the films

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Luke’s Jedi school did in fact retain all the same failings as the previous one, so Kylo did a Chris Dorner. It wasn’t just one tiny instantaneous event that ruined things; Kylo had been increasingly critical of the Jedi for a long time. Luke simply thought he could ignore the problems - stick to the system and hope Ben conforms.

The reunion between crazy bad Kylo and cool good Luke no doubt is what leads fans to retroactively interpret the attempted murder as merely a mistake rather than as a sign of a deeper evil.

Thus you get jivjov's reprehensible idiocy about how Luke's murderous intentions are just bad thoughts that he needs to get over. Again, fans are so broken that they see nothing wrong with Luke Skywalker still being the good guy who owns hus intended murder victim.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sponges posted:

I don’t recall it being said in any of the films

It's not; it's from a handful of the novels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The reunion between crazy bad Kylo and cool good Luke no doubt is what leads fans to retroactively interpret the attempted murder as merely a mistake rather than as a sign of a deeper evil.

Thus you get jivjov's reprehensible idiocy about how Luke's murderous intentions are just bad thoughts that he needs to get over. Again, fans are so broken that they see nothing wrong with Luke Skywalker still being the good guy who owns hus intended murder victim.

I never said Luke did nothing wrong. He just didn't actually attempt to kill Ben. He absolutely failed; that's plainly obvious. But there are more forms of failure than "attempted murder".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Solo was an attempted murder of the franchise

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

It's not; it's from a handful of the novels.

I guess it’s irrelvant than

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, exactly.

To use a better analogy than this ‘attempted murder’ thing, Luke is more directly analogous to Sgt. Powell from Die Hard:

“I [chopped] a kid. He was 13 years old. Oh it was dark, I couldn't see him. He had a ray gun, looked real enough. You know, when you're a rookie, they can teach you everything about bein' a [Jedi] except how to live with a mistake. Anyway, I just couldn't bring myself to draw my [lightsaber] on anybody again."

People are consequently debating whether Luke is a racist cop - either saying he was just ‘instinctively’ following his training or, no, he deliberately shot that kid because he’s evil. This logic can culminate in, like, going frame-by-frame to analyze gestures and microexpressions, trying to detect Luke’s hidden intentions. (Maybe Luke can display that cops are still good, by heroically saving John McClane at the the end?)

The truth is that this doesn’t matter; racism is an ideology and it is systemic in the police. Sgt. Powell is racist regardless of his intentions, or even regardless of whether he even pulled the trigger.

Reginald Val Johnson is black...

Edit: And that kid he shot? Inuit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't even imagine being so mad that a movie was bad you bully someone to near suicide

Most people need to get over themselves, because whether you like them or not, they're only movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sponges posted:

I guess it’s irrelvant than

No? Why would it be irrelevant?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

Solo was an attempted murder of the franchise

Ah, we've reached the whole "Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars" phase of the discussion, then?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I never said Luke did nothing wrong. He just didn't actually attempt to kill Ben. He absolutely failed; that's plainly obvious. But there are more forms of failure than "attempted murder".

You are stupid, but you must have seem Rashomon.

Skywalker is telling the truth from a certain point of view - his. He's lying and the flashback illustrates the lie. The truth is what both Skywalker and Kylo Ren agree on: the former approached the latter with a drawn weapon and intent to kill.

You're idiotically insisting that it was merely a failure on Skywalker's part, but what you're avoiding is the deeper problem it reveals: the new Jedi are just the same evil idiots as the old Jedi. Rey also turns on Kylo Ren when he fails to conform, unable to see that Kylo represents the way forward.

e:

jivjov posted:

Ah, we've reached the whole "Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars" phase of the discussion, then?

They don't seem imbecilic, so they can't be a Star Wars fan.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kylo is "right" in the sense that people at least tacitly desire dictatorship, but (obviously) only when the dictator comes from "their" side.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

No? Why would it be irrelevant?

Because the name is only in garabage novels that are essentially fan fiction.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sponges posted:

Because the name is only in garabage novels that are essentially fan fiction.

They're not fanfactjon. They're 1) officially licensed works, and 2) canonical. The novels (and comics, and video game storylines, etc) are just as relevant as the films.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

They're not fanfactjon. They're 1) officially licensed works, and 2) canonical. The novels (and comics, and video game storylines, etc) are just as relevant as the films.

Source your quotes

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

They're not fanfactjon. They're 1) officially licensed works, and 2) canonical.

That's prime material for fan fiction.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

No Mods No Masters posted:

Source your quotes

That...wasn't a quote? It's just an explanation.

The way the canon works is a bit different than back in the old days. There's no tiers of canon; it either is canon or is not canon. (The only fuzzy area is video games; storylines are canon, specific game mechanics may not be)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

“Officially Licensed” has no real meaning. I read those EU books as a kid and they’re just a mess. I can’t even begin to fathom reading them as an adult.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't really matter if they're "canon" or not as long as you enjoy reading the stories.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quote-Unquote posted:

gently caress Jar Jar Binks, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

It doesn't really matter if they're "canon" or not as long as you enjoy reading the stories.

Oh sure; I still revisit the old Legends books from time to time despite them not being canonical any longer. But in terms of what does and doesn't "count" toward the continuity, the distinction is important.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slutitution posted:

gently caress Jar Jar Binks, though.

At least take him to dinner first

and maybe down an entire bottle of something alcoholic

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Oh sure; I still revisit the old Legends books from time to time despite them not being canonical any longer. But in terms of what does and doesn't "count" toward the continuity, the distinction is important.

It would be better if they just segregated it, so the movies are their own thing and everything else is its own thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

That...wasn't a quote? It's just an explanation.

The way the canon works is a bit different than back in the old days. There's no tiers of canon; it either is canon or is not canon. (The only fuzzy area is video games; storylines are canon, specific game mechanics may not be)

They were making fun of you because the books are trash and no one but hard cores read that stuff.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
"Canon" has never been anything but a marketing scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pachabel's Extended Universe